|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lenny tell Ruth about a diseased prostitute?
(a) Lenny says he lectured her.
(b) Lenny says he took her to a hospital.
(c) Lenny says he nearly beat her to death.
(d) Lenny says he was in love with her.
2. Where does Lenny tell Ruth he thinks Teddy has been?
3. When he first appears in the play, Max enters the living room and is looking for a scissor for what reason?
(a) He wants to trim his hair.
(b) He needs to open a package.
(c) He plans to use them to threaten Lenny.
(d) He wants to cut something out of the paper.
4. What occupation does Lenny tell Ruth he's always imagined for himself?
5. Abandoning his search for the scissors, Max lights a cigarette he has gotten from where?
(a) From Lenny's jacket
(b) From the desk
(c) From his pocket
(d) From the ashtray
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth call Lenny?
2. What does Teddy take upstairs?
3. What does Lenny say Max used to always like doing?
4. How long does Teddy tell Lenny he will be staying?
5. What does Sam say about Max wanting him out of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which characters, although not seen onstage, are mentioned frequently throughout the play, and how is each related to Max?
2. What is Teddy's response to the men discussing his wife sexually and asking her to stay?
3. Act One, scene 3 begins the morning after Teddy and Ruth have arrived; what characters have not yet met Ruth?
4. What argument do Max and Joey have at the beginning of the Act 1, Scene 3?
5. By the end of the first act, which characters has Max abused both verbally and physically?
6. What does Joey do in his uncle's defense when Max criticizes Sam?
7. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and surprise Max, what is the first thing he wants to know?
8. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
9. Max threatens violence toward his son Lenny at different points in the play; give one example.
10. Just after they arrive at the house, what does Teddy reassure Ruth about?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)