|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After she finishes her water, where does Ruth go?
(a) Outside on the front porch
(c) Outside for a walk
(d) Into the kitchen
2. After addressing Lenny's concern about not being able to sleep, who does Teddy ask Lenny about?
3. Before he comes home, where has Joey been?
(a) He has been working out.
(b) He has been out for a walk.
(c) He has been driving his cab.
(d) He has been applying for a job.
4. What does Teddy reassure Ruth about?
(a) Their new car
(b) The thunderstorm
(c) Her appearance
(d) Meeting his family
5. What does Lenny say Max used to always like doing?
(a) Taking his sons on outings.
(b) Playing ball with his sons.
(c) Tucking his sons into bed.
(d) Singing with his sons.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Teddy and Ruth first arrive at the family home, what does Ruth say she is feeling?
2. What complaint does Max have about his sons?
3. What does Max want Sam to do when Joey goes upstairs?
4. What does Teddy take upstairs?
5. What occupation does Lenny tell Ruth he's always imagined for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
2. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
3. The first time Lenny is alone with Ruth, what kinds of personal information does he share with her?
4. What conflicting information does Max give about MacGregor (his father)?
5. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
6. Just after they arrive at the house, what does Teddy reassure Ruth about?
7. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
8. Max threatens violence toward his son Lenny at different points in the play; give one example.
9. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
10. Explain how Sam feels about his performance at work.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)