|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shortly after his arrival at the family home, what does Teddy offer Ruth?
(a) Somewhere to change her clothes
(b) Something to eat and drink
(c) Some family heirlooms
(d) Some old photographs
2. Who told Lenny earlier that his father is going to get a surprise in the morning?
3. When does Max say that Sam will be out of the house?
(a) When Lenny gets married
(b) When Max renovates the house
(c) When Sam retires
(d) When Max sells the property
4. What does Sam brag about?
(a) Being the best chauffeur in the firm
(b) Being the most requested security guard
(c) Being the most productive worker in the factory
(d) Being the best cook in the restaurant
5. When Lenny comes downstairs, what reason does he give for not being able to sleep?
(a) Lenny says he is having nightmares.
(b) Lenny says it is too cold in his room.
(c) Lenny says there is something ticking that is keeping him awake.
(d) Lenny says he is too worried to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character has been on stage all through the first scene of the play?
2. As the play begins, Lenny is in the living room of the house where he lives with which two other people?
3. What did Lenny tell Ruth he had been asked to help an old woman with?
4. What does Sam say about Max wanting him out of the house?
5. What occupation does Lenny tell Ruth he's always imagined for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Max and Rose and what two other characters have the same relationship?
2. When Teddy arrives at his family's home, what does he find unchanged?
3. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
4. Max threatens violence toward his son Lenny at different points in the play; give one example.
5. Throughout the play, Max verbally abuses his son Joey; give an example of this verbal abuse.
6. "The Homecoming" takes place in an old London house where four men live. Who are these men and how are they related to each other?
7. Explain how Sam feels about his performance at work.
8. How does Max respond to Lenny's question about his conception?
9. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
10. During the argument over the glass of water, what does Ruth dare Lenny to do?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)