|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lenny and Max bicker about?
(a) The leaking roof
(b) Paying for groceries
(c) Max's cooking
(d) Lenny's chores
2. What does Sam say about Max wanting him out of the house?
(a) Sam says that Max would be lonesome.
(b) Sam says that there will be no one to cook the meals.
(c) Sam says that he owns part of the house.
(d) Sam says that Max is selfish.
3. What does Lenny say he did to the old woman instead of helping her?
(a) Hit her
(b) Laughed at her
(c) Got someone else to help her
(d) Gave her some money
4. What reason does Sam give for believing that he is the best at his job?
(a) He works harder than anyone else.
(b) He doesn't take liberties.
(c) He doesn't make mistakes.
(d) He asks questions.
5. As they bicker, what does Max grab as if to hit Lenny?
(a) A baseball bat
(b) His cane
(c) His umbrella
(d) A lamp
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth call Lenny?
2. In what sport does Joey participate?
3. What does Lenny want Max to tell him?
4. What does Teddy take upstairs?
5. Who has fond memories of a father who played with him and took good care of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Max and Rose and what two other characters have the same relationship?
2. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
3. Which characters, although not seen onstage, are mentioned frequently throughout the play, and how is each related to Max?
4. Max threatens violence toward his son Lenny at different points in the play; give one example.
5. What does Max say about his understanding of female horses?
6. Describe Max's attitude toward his brother Sam.
7. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
8. Who is Jessie and what do we learn about her at the beginning of the play?
9. Throughout the play, Max verbally abuses his son Joey; give an example of this verbal abuse.
10. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)