|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max describe as "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
2. What does Lenny tell Ruth about a diseased prostitute?
(a) Lenny says he lectured her.
(b) Lenny says he nearly beat her to death.
(c) Lenny says he was in love with her.
(d) Lenny says he took her to a hospital.
3. What does Ruth want to do by herself shortly after she and Teddy arrive at the family home?
(a) Ruth wants to take a nap.
(b) Ruth wants to change her clothes.
(c) Ruth wants to take a walk.
(d) Ruth wants to eat something.
4. What does Teddy take upstairs?
(a) An album of family photos
(b) His suitcases
(c) An alarm clock
(d) A snack
5. After Sam reminds Max that he took Jessie out in a limo because he was taking care of her, what does Max call Sam?
(a) A sheep in wolf's clothing
(b) A maggot and a grub
(c) A rotten cheat
(d) A dirty thief
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth call Lenny?
2. When he first appears in the play, Max enters the living room and is looking for a scissor for what reason?
3. What does Max say he could instinctively know?
4. What do Lenny and Ruth argue about?
5. Shortly after his arrival at the family home, what does Teddy offer Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story Lenny tells Ruth after he has asked to hold her hand?
2. After Lenny tells Ruth the story about a violent act he once committed, what story does he then tell Ruth about about an old woman?
3. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
4. When Lenny first greets his brother, why does the conversation involve a clock?
5. Explain how Sam feels about his performance at work.
6. Max threatens violence toward his son Lenny at different points in the play; give one example.
7. Just after they arrive at the house, what does Teddy reassure Ruth about?
8. What does Max say about his understanding of female horses?
9. What does Lenny ask his father about the night he was conceived?
10. Describe Max's attitude toward his brother Sam.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)