|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After she finishes her water, where does Ruth go?
(a) Outside on the front porch
(b) Outside for a walk
(d) Into the kitchen
2. When does Max say that Sam will be out of the house?
(a) When Max sells the property
(b) When Sam retires
(c) When Max renovates the house
(d) When Lenny gets married
3. What do Lenny and Max bicker about?
(a) Max's cooking
(b) Lenny's chores
(c) Paying for groceries
(d) The leaking roof
4. What did Lenny tell Ruth he had been asked to help an old woman with?
(a) A dresser she needed moved
(b) Finding her cat
(c) An old-fashioned washing machine
(d) Getting to the doctor
5. What does Lenny tell Ruth about a diseased prostitute?
(a) Lenny says he lectured her.
(b) Lenny says he was in love with her.
(c) Lenny says he nearly beat her to death.
(d) Lenny says he took her to a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Teddy and Ruth related to Max?
2. What does Max say he could instinctively know?
3. What does Teddy suggest to Ruth after they have been home awhile?
4. Where does Ruth say she and Teddy have been vacationing?
5. Before he comes home, where has Joey been?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which characters, although not seen onstage, are mentioned frequently throughout the play, and how is each related to Max?
2. Throughout the play, Max verbally abuses his son Joey; give an example of this verbal abuse.
3. What does Max say about his understanding of female horses?
4. "The Homecoming" takes place in an old London house where four men live. Who are these men and how are they related to each other?
5. When Max comes downstairs complaining of noise, what kind of an explanation does Lenny give?
6. How does Max respond to Lenny's question about his conception?
7. Describe Max's attitude toward his brother Sam.
8. What evidence do we have that Max dominates his brother Sam, as well as his own sons?
9. Explain how Sam feels about his performance at work.
10. What does Max mean when he uses the phrase "one flow of stinking pus after another?"
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)