|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
(a) He turns on the radio.
(b) He asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
(c) He picks up the newspaper and begins reading.
(d) He tells Teddy not to interrupt their conversation.
2. How many children does Ruth have?
3. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
(a) Help getting up
(b) Some understanding
(c) Something to eat and drink
(d) An ice pack
4. What does Max say about whether or not he followed his father's wishes?
(a) Max said he decided it wasn't his responsibility.
(b) Max said he resented what his father asked him.
(c) Max said he did what his father asked.
(d) Max said he left home.
5. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Lenny interact with Ruth?
(a) He gives her a gift.
(b) He brings her a sandwich.
(c) He helps her open the window.
(d) He strokes Ruth's hair.
6. As Lenny joins the conversation that Ruth, Lenny, and Teddy have been engaged in after lunch, what subject does Lenny ask Teddy about?
(a) Lenny asks if Teddy makes enough money to support his family.
(b) Lenny asks if Teddy is a good father.
(c) Lenny asks Teddy why it's taken him so long to visit.
(d) Lenny asks a question about being a doctor of philosophy.
7. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
(a) Max and Sam
(b) Joey and Sam
(c) Lenny and Sam
(d) Joey and Max
8. What is the nature of the family business?
9. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
(a) If Sam had given Teddy and Ruth a wedding gift
(b) If anyone knew Teddy and Ruth were in the house
(c) If someone gave Teddy and Ruth breakfast
(d) If Lenny and Joey had made too much noise during the night
10. In his long speech, what does Teddy call the members of his family?
11. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
(d) The neighbor
12. How does Joey respond to Max's invitation to spend the afternoon with him?
(a) Joey says he has to train.
(b) Joey says he has to repair the roof.
(c) Joey says he has to do an errand for Sam.
(d) Joey says he has to work on his car.
13. What two characters are up early the next morning at the opening of Act I, Scene 3?
(a) Joey and Max
(b) Teddy and Ruth
(c) Sam and Joey
(d) Lenny and Joey
14. On the morning after Teddy and Ruth's arrival, what does Max invite Joey to do in the afternoon?
(a) Go to a movie.
(b) Go to a football game.
(c) Drive to the ocean.
(d) Go to the horse races.
15. What do Sam, Teddy. Joey, and Lenny do after Max physically abuses Sam?
(a) Everyone places blame where they think it is due.
(b) Everyone looks at Ruth.
(c) Everyone leaves the room.
(d) Everyone is still.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ruth says she was different before she and Teddy were married, what does Teddy say.?
2. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
3. According to Max, what made Sam a bad son?
4. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what emotion of Sam's does Max say he doesn't understand?
5. After he reminisces, what does Max ask Sam?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)