|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father, what does Max tell the rest of the family about Teddy?
(a) Max says that Teddy is smart.
(b) Max says that Teddy still loves his father.
(c) Max says that Teddy is going to stay a long time.
(d) Max says that Teddy and Ruth are not actually married.
2. After Sam, Lenny, Max, and Teddy have finished lunch and are smoking cigars, on what are they complimenting Ruth?
(a) Her clothes
(b) Her figure
(c) Her intelligence
(d) Her cooking
3. When Joey, Max, and Lenny return home from the gym on the afternoon of the second day, what does Joey do?
(a) Goes upstairs
(b) Argues with Teddy
(c) Takes Ruth to the sofa and kisses her
(d) Reminds Lenny not to light fires in the fireplace
4. How many women appear onstage in the play?
5. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what does Max accuse Sam of doing?
(a) Forgetting to pick up the groceries
(b) Making noise out of resentment
(c) Breaking the radio
(d) Taking other people's sides
6. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
(a) If anyone knew Teddy and Ruth were in the house
(b) If someone gave Teddy and Ruth breakfast
(c) If Lenny and Joey had made too much noise during the night
(d) If Sam had given Teddy and Ruth a wedding gift
7. In his long speech, what does Tedd say he won't do?
(a) Give his family anything
(b) Stoop to his family's level
(c) Come back again to see the family
(d) Become lost in his family's lives
8. After she has gotten up off the floor, what does Ruth ask Teddy?
(a) If they're going to leave soon
(b) If his family always argues this much
(c) If the family has read any of his work
(d) If he remembers his mother
9. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
(b) Father and Son
(c) Uncle and Nephew
(d) Husband and wife
10. What does Ruth tell Lenny about her life before she married Teddy?
(a) She says she was a school teacher.
(b) She says she used to think she would never marry.
(c) She says she was a photographic model.
(d) She says she used to always go out in the evenings.
11. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
(b) Himself (Max)
(c) A famous boxer
12. In the conversation after lunch, what happens when Teddy can't answer the question Lenny asks him?
(a) Lenny pushes Teddy harder and begins to mock him.
(b) Lenny tells Teddy to forget about the question.
(c) Lenny tells Teddy to take his time answering.
(d) Lenny asks Ruth to answer the question for Teddy.
13. What does Max say about whether or not he followed his father's wishes?
(a) Max said he resented what his father asked him.
(b) Max said he left home.
(c) Max said he decided it wasn't his responsibility.
(d) Max said he did what his father asked.
14. When Teddy and Ruth are left alone in the living room, how does he try to convince her to go home with him?
(a) He tells her that she could get her old job back.
(b) He reminds her about her sons.
(c) He says she is making a poor impression on his family.
(d) He tells her he wants to leave.
15. What comparison does Ruth use in her discussion with Lenny after Teddy has been mocked by Lenny?
(a) The relationship between the movement of her leg and the movement of her underwear
(b) the setting of the sun and the emergence of the stars
(c) The love of a boy for his horse
(d) The seeds in a pod and the growth of a tree
Short Answer Questions
1. What two characters are up early the next morning at the opening of Act I, Scene 3?
2. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
3. After Sam leaves for work, what comment does Max make to Teddy about his wedding?
4. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
5. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Joey interact with Ruth?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)