|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the men compliment Ruth after lunch, what is Max reminiscing about?
(a) His days at the horse track
(b) His childhood
(c) His wife
(d) His days as a football player
2. Which of the following characters has been discussed but has never appeared on stage?
3. How many women appear onstage in the play?
4. Just before the end of Act Two, Scene 1, What does Teddy give a long speech about?
(a) Why he needs to leave
(b) How his mother would be proud of him
(c) How important his works are
(d) How families shouldn't argue
5. When Lenny re-enters the room after Teddy and Ruth have had their private discussion, what kind of small talk does Ruth engage in with Lenny?
(a) She talks about how the living room is decorated.
(b) She talks about an article she read in the paper.
(c) She talks about a certain kind of shoe she is fond of.
(d) She talks about how the weather is changing.
6. What comparison does Ruth use in her discussion with Lenny after Teddy has been mocked by Lenny?
(a) the setting of the sun and the emergence of the stars
(b) The seeds in a pod and the growth of a tree
(c) The love of a boy for his horse
(d) The relationship between the movement of her leg and the movement of her underwear
7. What do Sam, Teddy. Joey, and Lenny do after Max physically abuses Sam?
(a) Everyone is still.
(b) Everyone leaves the room.
(c) Everyone places blame where they think it is due.
(d) Everyone looks at Ruth.
8. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
(a) Max and Sam
(b) Lenny and Sam
(c) Joey and Sam
(d) Joey and Max
9. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
(a) She is non-committal and almost non-responsive.
(b) She hugs him.
(c) She shouts at him to leave her alone.
(d) She tries to reason with him.
10. What does Max say about whether or not he followed his father's wishes?
(a) Max said he decided it wasn't his responsibility.
(b) Max said he resented what his father asked him.
(c) Max said he left home.
(d) Max said he did what his father asked.
11. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
(a) Himself (Max)
(b) A famous boxer
12. When Max realizes that Teddy and Ruth are not going to be thrown out of his house, what does Max do?
(a) Max yells at Teddy.
(b) Max tries to throw Ruth out the door.
(c) Max throws a dish at the wall.
(d) Max hits Joey.
13. After his collapse, Max talks with Ruth about her children and then asks Teddy to do what?
(a) Max asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
(b) Max asks Teddy to give the family some money.
(c) Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father.
(d) Max asks Teddy to take Ruth out of the house.
14. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
(a) If anyone knew Teddy and Ruth were in the house
(b) If Lenny and Joey had made too much noise during the night
(c) If someone gave Teddy and Ruth breakfast
(d) If Sam had given Teddy and Ruth a wedding gift
15. When trying to convince her to go home with him, what does Teddy remind Ruth of?
(a) He says she is making a poor impression on his family.
(b) He tells her about his childhood.
(c) He reminds her about her sons.
(d) He talks about taking a new trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ruth tells Lenny where she was born, where does Max tell Joey he needs to go?
2. When Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father, what does Max tell the rest of the family about Teddy?
3. When Max and Joey leave after the conversation between Lenny and Ruth, who goes with them?
4. Who does Sam say was a hard worker and a fast learner?
5. According to Max, when his father was dying, what did he tell Max to do?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)