|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Max sees Ruth for the first time, what does he ask Teddy?
(a) Max asks how long he is planning to stay.
(b) Max asks where Teddy is living.
(c) Max asks who gave him permission to bring a tart into the house.
(d) Max asks if Teddy has a job.
2. In his long speech, what does Teddy call the members of his family?
3. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
(a) If someone gave Teddy and Ruth breakfast
(b) If anyone knew Teddy and Ruth were in the house
(c) If Lenny and Joey had made too much noise during the night
(d) If Sam had given Teddy and Ruth a wedding gift
4. What kind of response does Max get from the family to his question about the surprising appearance of his son and a woman Max does not know, suddenly standing in his living room?
(a) Lenny apologizes.
(b) Everyone starts talking at once.
(c) No one says anything.
(d) Joey leaves.
5. What does Sam do when Max collapses after verbally abusing Ruth?
(a) Sam yells at Joey.
(b) Sam goes out the door.
(c) Sam picks up the broken dishes.
(d) Sam goes to help Max.
6. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
(a) He picks up the newspaper and begins reading.
(b) He turns on the radio.
(c) He tells Teddy not to interrupt their conversation.
(d) He asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
7. In the conversation after lunch, what happens when Teddy can't answer the question Lenny asks him?
(a) Lenny tells Teddy to forget about the question.
(b) Lenny pushes Teddy harder and begins to mock him.
(c) Lenny tells Teddy to take his time answering.
(d) Lenny asks Ruth to answer the question for Teddy.
8. In his long speech, what does Teddy say about his family's intelligence level?
(a) They misunderstand everything.
(b) They don't have the capacity to understand his writing.
(c) They are bright but uneducated.
(d) They are unintelligent.
9. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
(a) A tigress
(b) A "slutbitch of a wife"
(c) A tart
(d) An angel
10. In his long speech, what does Tedd say he won't do?
(a) Stoop to his family's level
(b) Come back again to see the family
(c) Become lost in his family's lives
(d) Give his family anything
11. After his collapse, Max talks with Ruth about her children and then asks Teddy to do what?
(a) Max asks Teddy to take Ruth out of the house.
(b) Max asks Teddy to give the family some money.
(c) Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father.
(d) Max asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
12. What does Ruth tell Lenny about her life before she married Teddy?
(a) She says she was a photographic model.
(b) She says she was a school teacher.
(c) She says she used to think she would never marry.
(d) She says she used to always go out in the evenings.
13. After Lenny mocks Teddy's inability to answer his question, what subject does the conversation change to?
(a) How words and actions relate to each other
(b) The importance of the study of anantomy
(c) Violence in families
(d) The high price of clothing
14. After the conversation with Ruth in which he asks her to go home with him, what does Teddy do?
(a) He goes to look for his father.
(b) He goes upstairs to pack.
(c) He slaps her before going into the kitchen.
(d) He goes out the front door.
15. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what emotion of Sam's does Max say he doesn't understand?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Joey interact with Ruth?
2. Just after Teddy comes downstairs on the afternoon of their second day at the house, what do Lenny and Ruth do as Teddy watches?
3. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
4. How many children does Ruth have?
5. After she has gotten up off the floor, what does Ruth ask Teddy?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)