|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
(a) Something to eat and drink
(b) Some understanding
(c) Help getting up
(d) An ice pack
2. As Lenny joins the conversation that Ruth, Lenny, and Teddy have been engaged in after lunch, what subject does Lenny ask Teddy about?
(a) Lenny asks a question about being a doctor of philosophy.
(b) Lenny asks if Teddy is a good father.
(c) Lenny asks if Teddy makes enough money to support his family.
(d) Lenny asks Teddy why it's taken him so long to visit.
3. When Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father, what does Max tell the rest of the family about Teddy?
(a) Max says that Teddy and Ruth are not actually married.
(b) Max says that Teddy still loves his father.
(c) Max says that Teddy is smart.
(d) Max says that Teddy is going to stay a long time.
4. After the conversation with Ruth in which he asks her to go home with him, what does Teddy do?
(a) He goes to look for his father.
(b) He goes upstairs to pack.
(c) He goes out the front door.
(d) He slaps her before going into the kitchen.
5. After Max criticizes Sam about his contributions to the family, what does Sam suggest that Max do?
(a) Sam suggests that Max finish washing the dishes.
(b) Sam suggests they all go to a football game.
(c) Sam suggests they wake everyone up.
(d) Sam suggests that Max get over his resentment.
6. What two characters are up early the next morning at the opening of Act I, Scene 3?
(a) Sam and Joey
(b) Teddy and Ruth
(c) Joey and Max
(d) Lenny and Joey
7. When trying to convince her to go home with him, what does Teddy remind Ruth of?
(a) He talks about taking a new trip.
(b) He tells her about his childhood.
(c) He says she is making a poor impression on his family.
(d) He reminds her about her sons.
8. Why does Max collapse after he verbally abuses Ruth for the first time?
(a) Max collapses from grief.
(b) Max collapses from his heart ailment.
(c) Max collapses when he sees he is cut badly.
(d) Max collapses from the exertion of hitting Joey.
9. What is Sam doing in the kitchen during Max's and Joey's discussion about going out together?
(a) Sam is talking to Lenny.
(b) Sam is washing the dishes.
(c) Sam is repairing the radio.
(d) Sam is chopping carrots.
10. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
(a) A tigress
(b) A "slutbitch of a wife"
(c) An angel
(d) A tart
11. After Sam leaves for work, what comment does Max make to Teddy about his wedding?
(a) Max says that Teddy was too young to be married.
(b) Max says he is disappointed that he wasn't invited.
(c) Max says that they should have gotten married at his home.
(d) Max said he would have paid for it had he known it was a proper white wedding.
12. When Max realizes that Teddy and Ruth are not going to be thrown out of his house, what does Max do?
(a) Max tries to throw Ruth out the door.
(b) Max yells at Teddy.
(c) Max hits Joey.
(d) Max throws a dish at the wall.
13. When Max and Joey leave after the conversation between Lenny and Ruth, who goes with them?
14. In his long speech, what does Teddy say about his family's intelligence level?
(a) They are bright but uneducated.
(b) They misunderstand everything.
(c) They are unintelligent.
(d) They don't have the capacity to understand his writing.
15. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
(a) Max and Sam
(b) Lenny and Sam
(c) Joey and Sam
(d) Joey and Max
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sam do when Max collapses after verbally abusing Ruth?
2. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Lenny interact with Ruth?
3. What comparison does Ruth use in her discussion with Lenny after Teddy has been mocked by Lenny?
4. After Max recovers from his collapse, what does he ask Ruth?
5. After his collapse, Max talks with Ruth about her children and then asks Teddy to do what?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)