|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
(a) Lenny and Sam
(b) Max and Sam
(c) Joey and Sam
(d) Joey and Max
2. After Max criticizes Sam about his contributions to the family, what does Sam suggest that Max do?
(a) Sam suggests they wake everyone up.
(b) Sam suggests they all go to a football game.
(c) Sam suggests that Max finish washing the dishes.
(d) Sam suggests that Max get over his resentment.
3. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
(c) The neighbor
4. What two characters are up early the next morning at the opening of Act I, Scene 3?
(a) Lenny and Joey
(b) Teddy and Ruth
(c) Sam and Joey
(d) Joey and Max
5. Just before the end of Act Two, Scene 1, What does Teddy give a long speech about?
(a) Why he needs to leave
(b) How his mother would be proud of him
(c) How important his works are
(d) How families shouldn't argue
6. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
(a) If Sam had given Teddy and Ruth a wedding gift
(b) If someone gave Teddy and Ruth breakfast
(c) If anyone knew Teddy and Ruth were in the house
(d) If Lenny and Joey had made too much noise during the night
7. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
(c) A famous boxer
(d) Himself (Max)
8. Which character does Max refer to as a "maggot" and a "grub"?
9. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
(a) A "slutbitch of a wife"
(b) An angel
(c) A tart
(d) A tigress
10. How many children does Ruth have?
11. On the morning after Teddy and Ruth's arrival, just before Max invites Joey to go out with him for the afternoon, what does Max complain about?
(a) Max complains about the noise last night.
(b) Max says he hates every room in the house.
(c) Max complains that he is the only one bringing in any money.
(d) Max says he is not feeling well.
12. When Lenny re-enters the room after Teddy and Ruth have had their private discussion, what kind of small talk does Ruth engage in with Lenny?
(a) She talks about how the living room is decorated.
(b) She talks about a certain kind of shoe she is fond of.
(c) She talks about how the weather is changing.
(d) She talks about an article she read in the paper.
13. When Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father, what does Max tell the rest of the family about Teddy?
(a) Max says that Teddy is smart.
(b) Max says that Teddy and Ruth are not actually married.
(c) Max says that Teddy still loves his father.
(d) Max says that Teddy is going to stay a long time.
14. When Teddy comes downstairs after his father and brothers have come home from the gym, what does Max ask him?
(a) If he will put out the fire in the fireplace
(b) If he is going to fight his brothers
(c) If he's going to pay rent on the room he's using
(d) If he's leaving soon
15. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what emotion of Sam's does Max say he doesn't understand?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Max, what made Sam a bad son?
2. Which of the following characters has been discussed but has never appeared on stage?
3. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what does Max accuse Sam of doing?
4. After Sam, Lenny, Max, and Teddy have finished lunch and are smoking cigars, on what are they complimenting Ruth?
5. In his long speech, what does Teddy call the members of his family?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)