|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Max recovers from his collapse, what does he ask Ruth?
(a) Max asks Ruth why she got involved with Teddy.
(b) Max asks Ruth if she plans to leave soon.
(c) Max asks Ruth if she is a mother.
(d) Max asks Ruth to get him an ice bag.
2. After he reminisces, what does Max ask Sam?
(a) Max asks Sam when he's going to work.
(b) Max asks Sam to stop whistling.
(c) Max asks Sam to wash the breakfast dishes.
(d) Max asks Sam to give him a few bucks.
3. When Max hits Joey in the stomach because Joey doesn't obey him, who moves to help Joey?
4. When Lenny re-enters the room after Teddy and Ruth have had their private discussion, what kind of small talk does Ruth engage in with Lenny?
(a) She talks about how the living room is decorated.
(b) She talks about an article she read in the paper.
(c) She talks about how the weather is changing.
(d) She talks about a certain kind of shoe she is fond of.
5. After Sam, Lenny, Max, and Teddy have finished lunch and are smoking cigars, on what are they complimenting Ruth?
(a) Her intelligence
(b) Her figure
(c) Her clothes
(d) Her cooking
6. What comparison does Ruth use in her discussion with Lenny after Teddy has been mocked by Lenny?
(a) The relationship between the movement of her leg and the movement of her underwear
(b) the setting of the sun and the emergence of the stars
(c) The seeds in a pod and the growth of a tree
(d) The love of a boy for his horse
7. When Max sees Ruth for the first time, what does he ask Teddy?
(a) Max asks who gave him permission to bring a tart into the house.
(b) Max asks where Teddy is living.
(c) Max asks how long he is planning to stay.
(d) Max asks if Teddy has a job.
8. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
(a) Husband and wife
(c) Uncle and Nephew
(d) Father and Son
9. What does Ruth tell Lenny about her life before she married Teddy?
(a) She says she used to always go out in the evenings.
(b) She says she was a photographic model.
(c) She says she was a school teacher.
(d) She says she used to think she would never marry.
10. In the conversation after lunch, what happens when Teddy can't answer the question Lenny asks him?
(a) Lenny pushes Teddy harder and begins to mock him.
(b) Lenny tells Teddy to forget about the question.
(c) Lenny asks Ruth to answer the question for Teddy.
(d) Lenny tells Teddy to take his time answering.
11. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
(a) Joey and Max
(b) Lenny and Sam
(c) Joey and Sam
(d) Max and Sam
12. After Max criticizes Sam about his contributions to the family, what does Sam suggest that Max do?
(a) Sam suggests they all go to a football game.
(b) Sam suggests they wake everyone up.
(c) Sam suggests that Max get over his resentment.
(d) Sam suggests that Max finish washing the dishes.
13. When trying to convince her to go home with him, what does Teddy remind Ruth of?
(a) He reminds her about her sons.
(b) He says she is making a poor impression on his family.
(c) He tells her about his childhood.
(d) He talks about taking a new trip.
14. After Sam leaves for work, what comment does Max make to Teddy about his wedding?
(a) Max says he is disappointed that he wasn't invited.
(b) Max says that Teddy was too young to be married.
(c) Max says that they should have gotten married at his home.
(d) Max said he would have paid for it had he known it was a proper white wedding.
15. What is the nature of the family business?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Max collapse after he verbally abuses Ruth for the first time?
2. After Ruth tells Lenny where she was born, where does Max tell Joey he needs to go?
3. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
4. As Lenny joins the conversation that Ruth, Lenny, and Teddy have been engaged in after lunch, what subject does Lenny ask Teddy about?
5. What does Teddy tell Max about his life with Ruth?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)