|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When trying to convince her to go home with him, what does Teddy remind Ruth of?
(a) He tells her about his childhood.
(b) He talks about taking a new trip.
(c) He says she is making a poor impression on his family.
(d) He reminds her about her sons.
2. What two characters are up early the next morning at the opening of Act I, Scene 3?
(a) Joey and Max
(b) Teddy and Ruth
(c) Sam and Joey
(d) Lenny and Joey
3. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
(a) Help getting up
(b) Some understanding
(c) An ice pack
(d) Something to eat and drink
4. When Max sees Ruth for the first time, what does he ask Teddy?
(a) Max asks how long he is planning to stay.
(b) Max asks where Teddy is living.
(c) Max asks if Teddy has a job.
(d) Max asks who gave him permission to bring a tart into the house.
5. As the men compliment Ruth after lunch, what is Max reminiscing about?
(a) His days at the horse track
(b) His days as a football player
(c) His childhood
(d) His wife
6. What does Ruth tell Lenny about her life before she married Teddy?
(a) She says she was a school teacher.
(b) She says she used to think she would never marry.
(c) She says she was a photographic model.
(d) She says she used to always go out in the evenings.
7. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what does Max accuse Sam of doing?
(a) Breaking the radio
(b) Forgetting to pick up the groceries
(c) Making noise out of resentment
(d) Taking other people's sides
8. In his long speech, what does Tedd say he won't do?
(a) Become lost in his family's lives
(b) Stoop to his family's level
(c) Give his family anything
(d) Come back again to see the family
9. What does Teddy tell Max about his life with Ruth?
(a) Teddy says it's hard having no relatives around.
(b) Teddy says every couple has problems.
(c) Teddy says he and his wife argue about money.
(d) Teddy says they have a good home and a good life.
10. Which of the following characters has been discussed but has never appeared on stage?
11. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
(a) If Sam had given Teddy and Ruth a wedding gift
(b) If Lenny and Joey had made too much noise during the night
(c) If anyone knew Teddy and Ruth were in the house
(d) If someone gave Teddy and Ruth breakfast
12. What do Sam, Teddy. Joey, and Lenny do after Max physically abuses Sam?
(a) Everyone is still.
(b) Everyone looks at Ruth.
(c) Everyone leaves the room.
(d) Everyone places blame where they think it is due.
13. What is Sam doing in the kitchen during Max's and Joey's discussion about going out together?
(a) Sam is talking to Lenny.
(b) Sam is repairing the radio.
(c) Sam is chopping carrots.
(d) Sam is washing the dishes.
14. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
(a) An angel
(b) A tart
(c) A "slutbitch of a wife"
(d) A tigress
15. When Max and Joey leave after the conversation between Lenny and Ruth, who goes with them?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lenny joins the conversation that Ruth, Lenny, and Teddy have been engaged in after lunch, what subject does Lenny ask Teddy about?
2. Ruth reveals to Lenny that she was born where?
3. When Lenny re-enters the room after Teddy and Ruth have had their private discussion, what kind of small talk does Ruth engage in with Lenny?
4. How many children does Ruth have?
5. Which character does Max refer to as a "maggot" and a "grub"?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)