|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sam say was a hard worker and a fast learner?
(c) Himself (Max)
2. What happens to the person who tries to help Joey after Max has hit him in the stomach?
(a) Max tells him to get out
(b) He is congratulated by the other family members.
(c) He trips over the broken clock.
(d) Max hits him on the head with his cane.
3. What two characters are up early the next morning at the opening of Act I, Scene 3?
(a) Sam and Joey
(b) Teddy and Ruth
(c) Lenny and Joey
(d) Joey and Max
4. What does Sam do before he leaves for work after lunch?
(a) Sam tries to get Max to apologize.
(b) Sam tells Teddy a secret.
(c) Sam shakes Ruth's hand.
(d) Sam washes the breakfast dishes.
5. To whom does Max compare Sam?
(a) Himself (Max)
6. After Ruth tells Lenny where she was born, where does Max tell Joey he needs to go?
(a) To school
(b) To the gym
(c) To the football game
(d) To the market
7. When trying to convince her to go home with him, what does Teddy remind Ruth of?
(a) He reminds her about her sons.
(b) He talks about taking a new trip.
(c) He says she is making a poor impression on his family.
(d) He tells her about his childhood.
8. How many children does Ruth have?
9. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Lenny interact with Ruth?
(a) He helps her open the window.
(b) He brings her a sandwich.
(c) He gives her a gift.
(d) He strokes Ruth's hair.
10. When Max sees Ruth for the first time, what does he ask Teddy?
(a) Max asks where Teddy is living.
(b) Max asks if Teddy has a job.
(c) Max asks who gave him permission to bring a tart into the house.
(d) Max asks how long he is planning to stay.
11. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
(b) Himself (Max)
(c) A famous boxer
12. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what does Max accuse Sam of doing?
(a) Taking other people's sides
(b) Breaking the radio
(c) Making noise out of resentment
(d) Forgetting to pick up the groceries
13. When Teddy and Ruth are left alone in the living room, how does he try to convince her to go home with him?
(a) He tells her he wants to leave.
(b) He says she is making a poor impression on his family.
(c) He reminds her about her sons.
(d) He tells her that she could get her old job back.
14. When Joey, Max, and Lenny return home from the gym on the afternoon of the second day, what does Joey do?
(a) Argues with Teddy
(b) Reminds Lenny not to light fires in the fireplace
(c) Goes upstairs
(d) Takes Ruth to the sofa and kisses her
15. When Lenny re-enters the room after Teddy and Ruth have had their private discussion, what kind of small talk does Ruth engage in with Lenny?
(a) She talks about an article she read in the paper.
(b) She talks about a certain kind of shoe she is fond of.
(c) She talks about how the living room is decorated.
(d) She talks about how the weather is changing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Max, what made Sam a bad son?
2. In the conversation after lunch, what happens when Teddy can't answer the question Lenny asks him?
3. Which character does Max refer to as a "maggot" and a "grub"?
4. What do Sam, Teddy. Joey, and Lenny do after Max physically abuses Sam?
5. What does Ruth tell Lenny about her life before she married Teddy?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)