|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max say about whether or not he followed his father's wishes?
(a) Max said he did what his father asked.
(b) Max said he resented what his father asked him.
(c) Max said he decided it wasn't his responsibility.
(d) Max said he left home.
2. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
(a) If anyone knew Teddy and Ruth were in the house
(b) If Lenny and Joey had made too much noise during the night
(c) If Sam had given Teddy and Ruth a wedding gift
(d) If someone gave Teddy and Ruth breakfast
3. When Ruth says she was different before she and Teddy were married, what does Teddy say.?
(a) Teddy says Ruth is exactly the same.
(b) Teddy says Ruth was too quiet before their marriage.
(c) Teddy says Ruth has become more patient since their wedding.
(d) Teddy says Ruth has become more affectionate since their wedding.
4. When Teddy and Ruth are left alone in the living room, how does he try to convince her to go home with him?
(a) He reminds her about her sons.
(b) He tells her that she could get her old job back.
(c) He says she is making a poor impression on his family.
(d) He tells her he wants to leave.
5. To whom does Max compare Sam?
(d) Himself (Max)
6. When Max sees Ruth for the first time, what does he ask Teddy?
(a) Max asks where Teddy is living.
(b) Max asks how long he is planning to stay.
(c) Max asks who gave him permission to bring a tart into the house.
(d) Max asks if Teddy has a job.
7. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
(a) Father and Son
(c) Husband and wife
(d) Uncle and Nephew
8. After Ruth falls onto the floor, what does she ask for?
(a) Help getting up
(b) Something to eat and drink
(c) Some understanding
(d) An ice pack
9. What happens to the person who tries to help Joey after Max has hit him in the stomach?
(a) He trips over the broken clock.
(b) Max tells him to get out
(c) He is congratulated by the other family members.
(d) Max hits him on the head with his cane.
10. Why does Max collapse after he verbally abuses Ruth for the first time?
(a) Max collapses from his heart ailment.
(b) Max collapses from grief.
(c) Max collapses when he sees he is cut badly.
(d) Max collapses from the exertion of hitting Joey.
11. What kind of response does Max get from the family to his question about the surprising appearance of his son and a woman Max does not know, suddenly standing in his living room?
(a) Everyone starts talking at once.
(b) Joey leaves.
(c) No one says anything.
(d) Lenny apologizes.
12. What does Teddy tell Max about his life with Ruth?
(a) Teddy says every couple has problems.
(b) Teddy says he and his wife argue about money.
(c) Teddy says they have a good home and a good life.
(d) Teddy says it's hard having no relatives around.
13. What does Max do to Sam when Sam tries to help Max after he collapses?
(a) Max punches Sam in the stomach.
(b) Max yells out Sam's secret.
(c) Max hits Sam with his cane.
(d) Max throws a dish at Sam.
14. When Max asks Teddy if he wants to cuddle and kiss his father, what does Max tell the rest of the family about Teddy?
(a) Max says that Teddy is smart.
(b) Max says that Teddy and Ruth are not actually married.
(c) Max says that Teddy is going to stay a long time.
(d) Max says that Teddy still loves his father.
15. According to Max, when his father was dying, what did he tell Max to do?
(a) He told Max where to find money he had hidden.
(b) He told Max to sell the house.
(c) He told Max not to let Sam get away with anything.
(d) He told Max to take care of his brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth say Teddy was nervous about before they came to the family home for this visit?
2. After Max recovers from his collapse, what does he ask Ruth?
3. On the morning after Teddy and Ruth's arrival, what does Max invite Joey to do in the afternoon?
4. After the conversation with Ruth in which he asks her to go home with him, what does Teddy do?
5. Which character does Max refer to as a "maggot" and a "grub"?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)