|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Ruth tells Lenny where she was born, where does Max tell Joey he needs to go?
(a) To the market
(b) To the football game
(c) To the gym
(d) To school
2. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
(a) She tries to reason with him.
(b) She is non-committal and almost non-responsive.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She shouts at him to leave her alone.
3. To whom does Max compare Sam?
(a) Himself (Max)
4. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Lenny interact with Ruth?
(a) He brings her a sandwich.
(b) He gives her a gift.
(c) He helps her open the window.
(d) He strokes Ruth's hair.
5. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
(a) Himself (Max)
(b) A famous boxer
6. After Max recovers from his collapse, what does he ask Ruth?
(a) Max asks Ruth why she got involved with Teddy.
(b) Max asks Ruth to get him an ice bag.
(c) Max asks Ruth if she plans to leave soon.
(d) Max asks Ruth if she is a mother.
7. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
(b) The neighbor
8. What is the nature of the family business?
9. What does Joey say when Max tells him that he will have time to do what he needs to do and still be able to go with Max?
(a) Joey still refuses.
(b) Joey ignores Max.
(c) Joey agrees to go.
(d) Joey tells him to invite someone else.
10. Which two characters have been out working when the play begins but come home before Ruth and Teddy arrive?
(a) Joey and Sam
(b) Joey and Max
(c) Max and Sam
(d) Lenny and Sam
11. As Lenny joins the conversation that Ruth, Lenny, and Teddy have been engaged in after lunch, what subject does Lenny ask Teddy about?
(a) Lenny asks Teddy why it's taken him so long to visit.
(b) Lenny asks a question about being a doctor of philosophy.
(c) Lenny asks if Teddy is a good father.
(d) Lenny asks if Teddy makes enough money to support his family.
12. When Joey, Max, and Lenny return home from the gym on the afternoon of the second day, what does Joey do?
(a) Argues with Teddy
(b) Takes Ruth to the sofa and kisses her
(c) Reminds Lenny not to light fires in the fireplace
(d) Goes upstairs
13. When Max hits Joey in the stomach because Joey doesn't obey him, who moves to help Joey?
14. What does Teddy tell Max about his life with Ruth?
(a) Teddy says they have a good home and a good life.
(b) Teddy says he and his wife argue about money.
(c) Teddy says every couple has problems.
(d) Teddy says it's hard having no relatives around.
15. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
(a) Teddy tells Max that he lives in New York.
(b) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his wife.
(c) Teddy says that he is planning to just stay overnight.
(d) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his collapse, Max talks with Ruth about her children and then asks Teddy to do what?
2. In his long speech, what does Teddy say about his family's intelligence level?
3. After she has gotten up off the floor, what does Ruth ask Teddy?
4. What kind of response does Max get from the family to his question about the surprising appearance of his son and a woman Max does not know, suddenly standing in his living room?
5. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)