|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the person who tries to help Joey after Max has hit him in the stomach?
(a) He trips over the broken clock.
(b) Max tells him to get out
(c) He is congratulated by the other family members.
(d) Max hits him on the head with his cane.
2. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what does Max accuse Sam of doing?
(a) Taking other people's sides
(b) Breaking the radio
(c) Forgetting to pick up the groceries
(d) Making noise out of resentment
3. When Teddy comes downstairs after his father and brothers have come home from the gym, what does Max ask him?
(a) If he will put out the fire in the fireplace
(b) If he is going to fight his brothers
(c) If he's leaving soon
(d) If he's going to pay rent on the room he's using
4. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
(a) Teddy says that he is planning to just stay overnight.
(b) Teddy tells Max that he lives in New York.
(c) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his girlfriend.
(d) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his wife.
5. When Ruth says she was different before she and Teddy were married, what does Teddy say.?
(a) Teddy says Ruth is exactly the same.
(b) Teddy says Ruth was too quiet before their marriage.
(c) Teddy says Ruth has become more affectionate since their wedding.
(d) Teddy says Ruth has become more patient since their wedding.
6. After she has gotten up off the floor, what does Ruth ask Teddy?
(a) If he remembers his mother
(b) If his family always argues this much
(c) If the family has read any of his work
(d) If they're going to leave soon
7. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
(a) If Sam had given Teddy and Ruth a wedding gift
(b) If someone gave Teddy and Ruth breakfast
(c) If anyone knew Teddy and Ruth were in the house
(d) If Lenny and Joey had made too much noise during the night
8. Which character does Max refer to as a "maggot" and a "grub"?
9. What kind of response does Max get from the family to his question about the surprising appearance of his son and a woman Max does not know, suddenly standing in his living room?
(a) Everyone starts talking at once.
(b) Lenny apologizes.
(c) No one says anything.
(d) Joey leaves.
10. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Lenny interact with Ruth?
(a) He strokes Ruth's hair.
(b) He gives her a gift.
(c) He helps her open the window.
(d) He brings her a sandwich.
11. What does Max say about whether or not he followed his father's wishes?
(a) Max said he left home.
(b) Max said he did what his father asked.
(c) Max said he resented what his father asked him.
(d) Max said he decided it wasn't his responsibility.
12. What do Sam, Teddy. Joey, and Lenny do after Max physically abuses Sam?
(a) Everyone is still.
(b) Everyone leaves the room.
(c) Everyone looks at Ruth.
(d) Everyone places blame where they think it is due.
13. What does Max do to Sam when Sam tries to help Max after he collapses?
(a) Max hits Sam with his cane.
(b) Max punches Sam in the stomach.
(c) Max throws a dish at Sam.
(d) Max yells out Sam's secret.
14. According to Max, what made Sam a bad son?
(a) He never came to see his parents.
(b) He was useless in the family business.
(c) He didn't help take care of his father when he was dying.
(d) He stole money from his father.
15. After Sam, Lenny, Max, and Teddy have finished lunch and are smoking cigars, on what are they complimenting Ruth?
(a) Her intelligence
(b) Her clothes
(c) Her figure
(d) Her cooking
Short Answer Questions
1. After he reminisces, what does Max ask Sam?
2. Just after Teddy comes downstairs on the afternoon of their second day at the house, what do Lenny and Ruth do as Teddy watches?
3. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
4. Which of the following characters has been discussed but has never appeared on stage?
5. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)