|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Max recovers from his collapse, what does he ask Ruth?
(a) Max asks Ruth why she got involved with Teddy.
(b) Max asks Ruth if she is a mother.
(c) Max asks Ruth if she plans to leave soon.
(d) Max asks Ruth to get him an ice bag.
2. When Sam comes in from the kitchen, what emotion of Sam's does Max say he doesn't understand?
3. How does Joey respond to Max's invitation to spend the afternoon with him?
(a) Joey says he has to repair the roof.
(b) Joey says he has to do an errand for Sam.
(c) Joey says he has to train.
(d) Joey says he has to work on his car.
4. On the morning after Teddy and Ruth's arrival, what does Max invite Joey to do in the afternoon?
(a) Go to a football game.
(b) Go to a movie.
(c) Drive to the ocean.
(d) Go to the horse races.
5. How many children does Ruth have?
6. When Max realizes that Teddy and Ruth are not going to be thrown out of his house, what does Max do?
(a) Max tries to throw Ruth out the door.
(b) Max hits Joey.
(c) Max yells at Teddy.
(d) Max throws a dish at the wall.
7. In his long speech, what does Tedd say he won't do?
(a) Stoop to his family's level
(b) Give his family anything
(c) Become lost in his family's lives
(d) Come back again to see the family
8. When Teddy and Ruth come downstairs and Max sees them for the first time, what does he want to know?
(a) If Sam had given Teddy and Ruth a wedding gift
(b) If Lenny and Joey had made too much noise during the night
(c) If someone gave Teddy and Ruth breakfast
(d) If anyone knew Teddy and Ruth were in the house
9. What is Sam doing in the kitchen during Max's and Joey's discussion about going out together?
(a) Sam is chopping carrots.
(b) Sam is washing the dishes.
(c) Sam is repairing the radio.
(d) Sam is talking to Lenny.
10. How many women appear onstage in the play?
11. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
(a) Teddy says that he is planning to just stay overnight.
(b) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his girlfriend.
(c) Teddy tells Max that he lives in New York.
(d) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his wife.
12. What does Max do to Sam when Sam tries to help Max after he collapses?
(a) Max throws a dish at Sam.
(b) Max punches Sam in the stomach.
(c) Max yells out Sam's secret.
(d) Max hits Sam with his cane.
13. Which of the following characters has been discussed but has never appeared on stage?
14. After lunch, Max abruptly turns his attention from reminiscing to Sam. Who does he compare Sam to?
(b) A famous boxer
(c) Himself (Max)
15. What is the relationship between the two characters who are up early at the beginning of Act I, Scene 3?
(a) Husband and wife
(b) Father and Son
(d) Uncle and Nephew
Short Answer Questions
1. In his long speech, what does Teddy say about his family's intelligence level?
2. While Max is questioning Teddy about when he plans to leave, how does Joey interact with Ruth?
3. After Sam, Lenny, Max, and Teddy have finished lunch and are smoking cigars, on what are they complimenting Ruth?
4. When Teddy comes downstairs after his father and brothers have come home from the gym, what does Max ask him?
5. What does Ruth say Teddy was nervous about before they came to the family home for this visit?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)