|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After chastising Teddy for bringing Ruth into his house, who does Max ask to throw Ruth and Teddy out?
(d) The neighbor
2. In reminiscing after lunch, what does Max refer to Jessie as?
(a) A "slutbitch of a wife"
(b) A tigress
(c) An angel
(d) A tart
3. When Ruth says she was different before she and Teddy were married, what does Teddy say.?
(a) Teddy says Ruth is exactly the same.
(b) Teddy says Ruth was too quiet before their marriage.
(c) Teddy says Ruth has become more affectionate since their wedding.
(d) Teddy says Ruth has become more patient since their wedding.
4. After questioning Teddy , what does Max say about Ruth?
(a) She is a good cook.
(b) She should leave.
(c) She is a woman of feeling.
(d) She is lucky Teddy married her.
5. As Lenny joins the conversation that Ruth, Lenny, and Teddy have been engaged in after lunch, what subject does Lenny ask Teddy about?
(a) Lenny asks Teddy why it's taken him so long to visit.
(b) Lenny asks a question about being a doctor of philosophy.
(c) Lenny asks if Teddy is a good father.
(d) Lenny asks if Teddy makes enough money to support his family.
6. What is the nature of the family business?
7. What comparison does Ruth use in her discussion with Lenny after Teddy has been mocked by Lenny?
(a) the setting of the sun and the emergence of the stars
(b) The love of a boy for his horse
(c) The relationship between the movement of her leg and the movement of her underwear
(d) The seeds in a pod and the growth of a tree
8. When Max hits Joey in the stomach because Joey doesn't obey him, who moves to help Joey?
9. The first time Max meets Ruth, what doe Teddy tell Max about her?
(a) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his girlfriend.
(b) Teddy tells Max that Ruth is his wife.
(c) Teddy tells Max that he lives in New York.
(d) Teddy says that he is planning to just stay overnight.
10. What does Ruth tell Lenny about her life before she married Teddy?
(a) She says she was a school teacher.
(b) She says she used to think she would never marry.
(c) She says she was a photographic model.
(d) She says she used to always go out in the evenings.
11. What does Sam do before he leaves for work after lunch?
(a) Sam tries to get Max to apologize.
(b) Sam shakes Ruth's hand.
(c) Sam tells Teddy a secret.
(d) Sam washes the breakfast dishes.
12. Just after Teddy comes downstairs on the afternoon of their second day at the house, what do Lenny and Ruth do as Teddy watches?
(a) They look at photos together.
(b) They go into the kitchen together.
(c) They light a fire in the fireplace.
(d) They slow dance and kiss.
13. When Teddy comes downstairs while Ruth and Lenny are talking together, what does Lenny do?
(a) He picks up the newspaper and begins reading.
(b) He asks Teddy to stay for a few more days.
(c) He turns on the radio.
(d) He tells Teddy not to interrupt their conversation.
14. What does Sam do when Max collapses after verbally abusing Ruth?
(a) Sam yells at Joey.
(b) Sam goes to help Max.
(c) Sam goes out the door.
(d) Sam picks up the broken dishes.
15. What do Sam, Teddy. Joey, and Lenny do after Max physically abuses Sam?
(a) Everyone places blame where they think it is due.
(b) Everyone is still.
(c) Everyone leaves the room.
(d) Everyone looks at Ruth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ruth's response when Teddy asks her to go home?
2. What kind of response does Max get from the family to his question about the surprising appearance of his son and a woman Max does not know, suddenly standing in his living room?
3. When trying to convince her to go home with him, what does Teddy remind Ruth of?
4. In his long speech, what does Teddy say about his family's intelligence level?
5. What does Teddy tell Max about his life with Ruth?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)