|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on top of each hilltop?
2. What city do the anarchists attack in June?
3. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
4. What is the name of the other Englishman that is transferred to Monte Oscuro with Orwell?
5. Why does the hot weather prove problematic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the militia soldiers organized?
2. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
3. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
4. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
5. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
6. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
7. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
8. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
9. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
10. What is Barcelona like when Orwell first arrives in 1936?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following groups and state their political ideology and involvement in the Spanish Civil War.
3. The Popular Army.
4. The Civil guards.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)