|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people start saying instead of Buenos dias?
2. Where does the militia march to after getting armed?
3. What kind of bird do the peasants like to hunt?
4. What is the name of the area between the trenches?
5. Who heads the national Spanish government?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
2. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
4. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
5. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
6. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
7. How do the attacks between the Fascists and the Republicans prove ineffectual in Chapter 6?
8. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
9. Describe the front lines near Zaragoza.
10. What flags do the different sides fly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Orwell's opinion of Communists change during his time in Spain? How did Orwell express his dislike for Communism in his later years?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)