|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the army unit that arrives on the Aragon in June, 1937?
2. Who does Orwell describe as a tough looking youth of 26?
3. What kind of rifle does Orwell receive?
4. Where does Orwell's unit march to?
5. Which of the following is not a Spanish political party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
2. What is an officer's role in the militia?
3. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
4. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
5. Why is Kopp getting no help from the Belgian government?
6. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
7. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
8. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
9. What does Franco stand for?
10. How do Orwell and his wife get back to England?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)