|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the militia march to after getting armed?
2. How does Orwell try to kill the fleeing Fascist?
3. Members of which army does Orwell say swagger around Barcelona?
4. What starts to make life in the trenches more pleasant in Chapter 8?
5. In what part of Spain is Mblaga located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orwell enlist in the militia?
2. Who is the PSUC?
3. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
4. Who is POUM?
5. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
6. What is an officer's role in the militia?
7. What is Barcelona like when Orwell first arrives in 1936?
8. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
10. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following groups and state their political ideology and involvement in the Spanish Civil War.
3. The Popular Army.
4. The Civil guards.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)