|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Orwell's POUM unit travel to from Sietamo?
2. What does Orwell use to make a makeshift wall?
3. Where is Orwell transferred to in Chapter 3?
4. Why were the streets of Catalonia dimly lit at night?
5. What starts to make life in the trenches more pleasant in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
2. What power does Franco have?
3. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
4. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
5. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
6. How do the attacks between the Fascists and the Republicans prove ineffectual in Chapter 6?
7. How are the militia soldiers organized?
8. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
9. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
10. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Orwell's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Orwell's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Orwell's opinion of Communists change during his time in Spain? How did Orwell express his dislike for Communism in his later years?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)