|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of rifle does Orwell receive?
2. Which of the following flags do the Republicans fly?
3. What does Orwell ideally want to fight against?
4. What is the name of the newspaper the Fascists drop?
5. What are officers regarded as in the militia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
2. What is Barcelona like when Orwell first arrives in 1936?
3. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
4. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
5. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
6. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
7. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
8. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
10. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Orwell's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Orwell's argument?
Essay Topic 2
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following political ideologies and discuss how you think Spain would have evolved if had followed that ideology from the Thirties until now.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)