|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Orwell and his troops respond when the nationalists fire at them?
2. Where is Orwell transferred to in Chapter 3?
3. What does Orwell say was being systematically destroyed in Catalonia?
4. Why was Orwell's mission in Chapter 7 deemed a success?
5. Members of which army does Orwell say swagger around Barcelona?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
2. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
3. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack?
4. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
5. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
6. What is the Popular Army?
7. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
8. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. What power does Franco have?
10. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Orwell suggest warfare is mostly trivial? Why do people conduct war even though often nothing is happening?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
How did George Orwell view the 20th century? What impact has his ideas had on world history? Has his impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)