|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war are the front lines in Zaragoza reminiscent of?
2. Who leads Orwell against the the Fascist lines?
3. Why were the streets of Catalonia dimly lit at night?
4. Which of the following flags do the Republicans fly?
5. What rations end entirely in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
2. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
3. Who is the PSUC?
4. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
5. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
6. What is the Popular Army?
7. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
8. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack?
9. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
10. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does Orwell suggest warfare is mostly trivial? Why do people conduct war even though often nothing is happening?
Essay Topic 3
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)