|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Orwell's unit march to?
2. What is the name of the army unit that arrives on the Aragon in June, 1937?
3. What does the Heraldo de Aragun contain information about?
4. Who takes all the patients' belongings while Orwell is in hospital?
5. What is on top of each hilltop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
2. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
3. Who is POUM?
4. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack?
5. What is the Popular Army?
6. What is an officer's role in the militia?
7. How are the militia soldiers organized?
8. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
9. What power does Franco have?
10. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)