|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
2. Where do the soldiers bathe?
3. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
4. What does the Heraldo de Aragun contain information about?
5. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an officer's role in the militia?
2. What is the Popular Army?
3. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
4. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
5. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
6. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
7. Who is POUM?
8. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
9. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
10. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Orwell suggest warfare is mostly trivial? Why do people conduct war even though often nothing is happening?
Essay Topic 2
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)