|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the hospital Orwell is sent to?
2. How has Barcelona now changed?
3. Which of the following flags do the Nationalists fly?
4. What starts to make life in the trenches more pleasant in Chapter 8?
5. What does Orwell say was being systematically destroyed in Catalonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
2. In what way do conditions become more tolerable in Chapter 8?
3. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
4. Who is the PSUC?
5. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
6. How do the attacks between the Fascists and the Republicans prove ineffectual in Chapter 6?
7. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
8. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
9. What power does Franco have?
10. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 2
How did George Orwell view the 20th century? What impact has his ideas had on world history? Has his impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)