|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
2. Why were the streets of Catalonia dimly lit at night?
3. What is the name of the other Englishman that is transferred to Monte Oscuro with Orwell?
4. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
5. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
2. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
3. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
4. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
5. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
6. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
7. Describe the conditions of the trenches.
8. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
10. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell's opinion of Communists change during his time in Spain? How did Orwell express his dislike for Communism in his later years?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)