|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Orwell's patrols difficult?
2. Which of the following groups supports General Franco?
3. What does Orwell ideally want to fight against?
4. Where is the hospital Orwell is sent to?
5. Which country supplies arms to the Republicans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
2. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
3. How do the attacks between the Fascists and the Republicans prove ineffectual in Chapter 6?
4. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
5. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
6. What proof does Orwell provide to show POUM was not a Fascist organization?
7. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
8. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
9. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
10. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following political ideologies and discuss how you think Spain would have evolved if had followed that ideology from the Thirties until now.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Orwell suggest warfare is mostly trivial? Why do people conduct war even though often nothing is happening?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)