|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes all the patients' belongings while Orwell is in hospital?
2. Who does Orwell say was in control of Catalonia when he arrived?
3. What does Orwell's wife frequently mail him?
4. What is the terrain of no man's land?
5. How do Orwell and his troops respond when the nationalists fire at them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
2. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
3. Who is POUM?
4. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
5. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
6. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
7. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
8. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
9. What flags do the different sides fly?
10. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)