|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of drink do the soldiers have plenty of?
2. To what rank does the militia promote Orwell?
3. What war are the front lines in Zaragoza reminiscent of?
4. Who takes all the patients' belongings while Orwell is in hospital?
5. Where do the soldiers bathe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
2. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
3. Describe the conditions of the trenches.
4. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
5. What flags do the different sides fly?
6. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
7. What is an officer's role in the militia?
8. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
9. Why does Orwell enlist in the militia?
10. What power does Franco have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Orwell's previous books and contrast it with HOMAGE TO CATALONIA in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)