|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Republicans do with the Fascists' unexploded bombs?
2. Which of the following flags do the Nationalists fly?
3. Where does Orwell's unit march to?
4. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
5. Where do the Fascists mount a counter attack from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
2. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
3. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
4. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack?
5. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
6. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
7. What is Barcelona like when Orwell first arrives in 1936?
8. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
9. Describe the front lines near Zaragoza.
10. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Orwell suggest warfare is mostly trivial? Why do people conduct war even though often nothing is happening?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)