|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like as Orwell and his men leave to attack Fascist lines?
2. What makes Orwell's patrols difficult?
3. What weapon are Orwell and his troops supplied with?
4. What duty are the soldiers on the hilltop assigned?
5. What starts to make life in the trenches more pleasant in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
2. What is the Popular Army?
3. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
5. What flags do the different sides fly?
6. Why does Orwell enlist in the militia?
7. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
8. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
9. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
10. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between Trotskyism and Stalinism? Why were the USSR so involved in the Spanish Civil War? What effect did their involvement have on the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)