|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people prefer the Popular Army to the militia?
2. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
3. What is the name of the area between the trenches?
4. What duty are the soldiers on the hilltop assigned?
5. In what way do things start to get better in mid April?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Popular Army?
2. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
3. How do the attacks between the Fascists and the Republicans prove ineffectual in Chapter 6?
4. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
5. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
6. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
7. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
8. What is Barcelona like when Orwell first arrives in 1936?
9. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
10. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Orwell's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Orwell's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Anarchism and Communism. How did Anarchism and Communism evolve into important movements in Spain? What are the differences between the two schools of thought?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between Trotskyism and Stalinism? Why were the USSR so involved in the Spanish Civil War? What effect did their involvement have on the outcome of the war?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)