|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Orwell say he speaks badly?
2. What rations end entirely in Chapter 8?
3. Which of the following flags do the Republicans fly?
4. Which country supplies arms to the Republicans?
5. What does Orwell smoke at the end of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
2. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
3. What is the Popular Army?
4. How do the attacks between the Fascists and the Republicans prove ineffectual in Chapter 6?
5. What is an officer's role in the militia?
6. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
7. In what way do conditions become more tolerable in Chapter 8?
8. How are the militia soldiers organized?
9. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
10. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell's opinion of Communists change during his time in Spain? How did Orwell express his dislike for Communism in his later years?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)