|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Republicans do with the Fascists' unexploded bombs?
2. What is on top of each hilltop?
3. Where does the POUM travel to from Barbastro?
4. Why does the hot weather prove problematic?
5. What happens on April 25, 1937?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions of the trenches.
2. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
3. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
4. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
6. How do the attacks between the Fascists and the Republicans prove ineffectual in Chapter 6?
7. What power does Franco have?
8. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
9. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
10. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Spain become a Fascist country and stay that way for so long? How did the move to Fascism change the country?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between Trotskyism and Stalinism? Why were the USSR so involved in the Spanish Civil War? What effect did their involvement have on the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 3
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)