|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Orwell sent to at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What does Orwell ideally want to fight against?
3. Who does Orwell say was in control of Catalonia when he arrived?
4. What do the Republicans do with the Fascists' unexploded bombs?
5. How does Orwell try to kill the fleeing Fascist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
3. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
4. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
5. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
6. What is Barcelona like when Orwell first arrives in 1936?
7. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
8. Who is the PSUC?
9. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
10. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Orwell to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Orwell hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Orwell's ideas about life?
3. How has Orwell changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Spain become a Fascist country and stay that way for so long? How did the move to Fascism change the country?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell's opinion of Communists change during his time in Spain? How did Orwell express his dislike for Communism in his later years?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)