|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers use to shout out political slogans?
2. What do people start saying instead of Buenos dias?
3. What two languages can Kopp speak?
4. What is the weather like as Orwell and his men leave to attack Fascist lines?
5. How does Orwell try to kill the fleeing Fascist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an officer's role in the militia?
2. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
3. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
4. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
5. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
6. What flags do the different sides fly?
7. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
8. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
9. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
10. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Orwell's previous books and contrast it with HOMAGE TO CATALONIA in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between Trotskyism and Stalinism? Why were the USSR so involved in the Spanish Civil War? What effect did their involvement have on the outcome of the war?
Essay Topic 3
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)