|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Spanish political party was under Communist control?
2. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
3. What is the weather like as Orwell and his men leave to attack Fascist lines?
4. Where do the soldiers bathe?
5. Who takes all the patients' belongings while Orwell is in hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
2. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
3. Why does Orwell enlist in the militia?
4. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
5. What power does Franco have?
6. Describe the front lines near Zaragoza.
7. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
8. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
9. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
10. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact did the Spanish Civil War have on the world politics in the 1930s? Why were British people such as Orwell independently involved in the fighting? What happened to Spain after the Civil War?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)