|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
2. Why were the streets of Catalonia dimly lit at night?
3. What is the name of the other Englishman that is transferred to Monte Oscuro with Orwell?
4. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
5. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
2. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
3. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
4. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
5. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
6. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
7. Describe the conditions of the trenches.
8. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
10. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
Essay Topic 1
What impact did the Spanish Civil War have on the world politics in the 1930s? Why were British people such as Orwell independently involved in the fighting? What happened to Spain after the Civil War?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Spain become a Fascist country and stay that way for so long? How did the move to Fascism change the country?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between Trotskyism and Stalinism? Why were the USSR so involved in the Spanish Civil War? What effect did their involvement have on the outcome of the war?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)