|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers use to shout out political slogans?
2. What kind of weapons is the militia issued?
3. Which country supplies arms to the Republicans?
4. Which military group in Spain did Stalin suppress?
5. What do the troops have to cut through to get to the enemy lines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the PSUC?
2. Who is POUM?
3. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
4. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
5. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
6. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack?
7. How are the militia soldiers organized?
8. What power does Franco have?
9. Why does Orwell enlist in the militia?
10. What is an officer's role in the militia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
Essay Topic 2
What was Orwell fighting for? Did Orwell genuinely believe what he fighting for? Is it essential for a soldier to believe in the war cause?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)