Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
2. Why were the streets of Catalonia dimly lit at night?
3. What is the name of the other Englishman that is transferred to Monte Oscuro with Orwell?
4. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
5. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
2. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
3. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
4. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
5. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
6. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
7. Describe the conditions of the trenches.
8. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
10. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Choose one of Orwell's previous books and contrast it with HOMAGE TO CATALONIA in terms of the following;
Choose one of the following groups and state their political ideology and involvement in the Spanish Civil War.
3. The Popular Army.
4. The Civil guards.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)