|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose political ideology did the POUM follow?
2. What form of transport does Orwell's unit take to Barbastro?
3. How has Barcelona now changed?
4. Who does the militia fight in Zaragoza?
5. Which of the following is not a Spanish political party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
2. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
3. Why does Orwell enlist in the militia?
4. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
5. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
6. Who is the PSUC?
7. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
8. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack?
9. In what way do conditions become more tolerable in Chapter 8?
10. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Anarchism and Communism. How did Anarchism and Communism evolve into important movements in Spain? What are the differences between the two schools of thought?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)