|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people start saying instead of Buenos dias?
2. What do the Republicans do with the Fascists' unexploded bombs?
3. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
4. What are officers regarded as in the militia?
5. In what way do things start to get better in mid April?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
2. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
3. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
4. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack?
5. Describe the conditions of the trenches.
6. What is an officer's role in the militia?
7. How are POUM members having problems in Chapter 13?
8. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
9. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
10. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following political ideologies and discuss how you think Spain would have evolved if had followed that ideology from the Thirties until now.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Orwell's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Orwell's argument?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)