|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Fascists mount a counter attack from?
2. What kind of rifle does Orwell receive?
3. What color did the Anarchists paint the trams and taxis?
4. Why do people prefer the Popular Army to the militia?
5. Which of the following groups supports General Franco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
2. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
3. How are the militia soldiers organized?
4. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
5. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
6. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
7. What is the Popular Army?
8. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
9. What flags do the different sides fly?
10. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the book express about oppression? In what way did the Communist oppressive methods backfire? Are there any elements of western society you would identify as oppressive?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Orwell become disillusioned with Communism? What was Orwell's view of Communism before he fought for POUM?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)