|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following flags do the Republicans fly?
2. What kind of rodent do the soldiers begin to see everywhere?
3. Who does the militia fight in Zaragoza?
4. Who leads Orwell against the the Fascist lines?
5. What color did the Anarchists paint the trams and taxis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
2. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
3. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
4. How do the attacks between the Fascists and the Republicans prove ineffectual in Chapter 6?
5. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
6. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
7. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
8. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
9. In what way do conditions become more tolerable in Chapter 8?
10. How are the militia soldiers organized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Spain become a Fascist country and stay that way for so long? How did the move to Fascism change the country?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Orwell's previous books and contrast it with HOMAGE TO CATALONIA in terms of the following;
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)