|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following flags do the Republicans fly?
2. Who heads the national Spanish government?
3. Who is the leader of the nationalists?
4. Where does Orwell's POUM unit travel to from Sietamo?
5. Which of the following flags do the Nationalists fly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
3. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
4. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack?
5. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
6. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
7. How do the attacks between the Fascists and the Republicans prove ineffectual in Chapter 6?
8. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
9. Describe the front lines near Zaragoza.
10. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Orwell end the book like he does? Could he have ended the book in another way? What meaning would that new ending have given the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Orwell's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Orwell's argument?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the propaganda Orwell describes in the book work so well? Would such propaganda have worked so well in other countries? How has propaganda advanced since the Spanish Civil War?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)