|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell say a fat man eats while children beg for bread?
(c) A duck.
(d) A quail.
2. What kind of enthusiasm does Orwell say is now flagging?
(a) War enthuiasm.
(b) Revolutionary enthusiasm.
(c) Survival enthusiasm.
(d) Republican enthusiasm.
3. Where will Orwell be fighting if he is transferred to the International Column?
4. What is the name of the POUM leader?
(a) Alfred Molina.
(b) Andry Nin.
(c) Andre Gide.
(d) George Orwell.
5. Who joins Orwell at the end of the chapter?
(a) His mother.
(b) His son.
(c) His wife.
(d) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rank is Kopp promoted to in Chapter 12?
2. Where does Orwell have to stay to avoid the police?
3. What rank is Benjamin promoted to in Chapter 12?
4. What does someone steal from Orwell at Hotel Falcon?
5. Where is Orwell's wound examined for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
2. How do the POUM militiamen react to Orwell's presence at the prison?
3. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
4. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
5. How are POUM members having problems in Chapter 13?
6. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
7. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
8. How do Orwell and his wife get back to England?
9. How does Orwell hide from the police?
10. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)