|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Orwell and a few others volunteer as at the POUM headquarters?
(d) Foot soldiers.
2. What does Orwell say a fat man eats while children beg for bread?
(b) A quail.
(d) A duck.
3. Where does Orwell spend time recuperating in Chapter 13?
(a) The Sanatorium Maurin.
(b) The Santorium Gaudin.
(c) The Sanorium Doggin.
(d) The Santorium Folin.
4. What is the name of the hotel Orwell goes to when the fighting breaks out?
(a) Hotel Falcon.
(b) Hotel Wren.
(c) Hotel Hooves.
(d) Hotel Eagle.
5. What does Orwell say the Popular Army is forcing people to do?
(a) Give up their possessions.
(b) Give up their houses.
(c) Sell their children.
(d) Join the military.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what is Williams suffering?
2. With which country is the PSUC closely associated?
3. What does Orwell decide to get before he is transferred?
4. Why is Smilie arrested at the border?
5. From what disease is Cottman suffering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
2. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
3. How do the POUM militiamen react to Orwell's presence at the prison?
4. How does Orwell get his wound examined?
5. Why is visiting Kopp dangerous?
6. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
7. Why does fighting break out in Barcelona at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
9. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
10. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)