|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Civil Guards want CNT to surrender?
(a) The postal system.
(b) The police force.
(c) The telephone exchange.
(d) The city libraries.
2. What neighborhoods did CNT-FAI and POUM hold?
(a) Student neighborhoods.
(b) Upper class neighborhoods.
(c) Jewish neighborhoods.
(d) Working class neighborhoods.
3. What does Orwell say has returned to Barcelona?
(a) Chaos and disorder.
(b) Snobbery and hatred.
(c) Class and privilege.
(d) Peace and calm.
4. What does Orwell say a fat man eats while children beg for bread?
(a) A quail.
(c) A duck.
5. What part of Orwell's body does the bullet penetrate?
(a) His neck.
(b) His arm.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) His leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country does Orwell travel to with his wife and friends?
2. What country is Kopp from?
3. What kind of weapon does Orwell manage to procure from the black market?
4. What group is Bob Smilie a part of?
5. Where is Orwell invited to transfer to at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
2. What is the Sanatorium Maurin?
3. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
4. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
5. What does the Republican government stand for?
6. How do the Communists try to suppress POUM?
7. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
8. Why is Kopp getting no help from the Belgian government?
9. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
10. Why does Orwell decide the Spanish Civil War is still important?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)