|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rushes across the street to stop the fighting?
(a) Orwell's wife.
2. What rank is Benjamin promoted to in Chapter 12?
3. Where does Orwell say pistols are almost unobtainable?
(a) The frontline.
(d) The enemy line.
4. How does Orwell describe the atmosphere in Barcelona?
(d) A nightmare.
5. From what city do the Assault Guards arrive?
Short Answer Questions
1. To where is Orwell first evacuated?
2. What is the name of the POUM leader?
3. Where is Orwell's wound examined for the first time?
4. What country does Orwell decide travel to go to complete his recovery?
5. What unit does Orwell want to be transferred to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Barcelona changed when Orwell returns?
2. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
3. Why does Orwell want to start fighting in Madrid?
4. Why did the government say POUM was a Fascist subversive element?
5. What proof does Orwell provide to show POUM was not a Fascist organization?
6. How does Orwell hide from the police?
7. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
8. How do the government troops defuse the situation in Barcelona?
9. What are the rumors surrounding the attack on the telephone exchange?
10. Why was the working class in Barcelona becoming increasingly resentful?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)