|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell decide to get before he is transferred?
(b) A sun hat.
(c) A gun.
(d) A uniform.
2. What city does Orwell say houses the Spanish national government?
3. What does Orwell say Franco stands for?
(b) A military government.
(c) The old Feudal order.
4. What is erected in the city the next morning?
(a) Street barricades.
(b) Watch towers.
(c) Gunner towers.
(d) Tower blocks.
5. Where is Orwell invited to transfer to at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) The International Column.
(c) The Civil Guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group publicly distanced itself from The Friends of Durruti's poster?
2. What kind of enthusiasm does Orwell say is now flagging?
3. What rank is Orwell promoted to in Chapter 12?
4. What is the name of the small political organization which publishes a radical leaflet calling for sustained revolution?
5. What kind of fighting does Kopp tell his men they have been ordered to engage in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orwell get back to Barcelona?
2. Why does Orwell stop trying to help Kopp?
3. Why is visiting Kopp dangerous?
4. What does Orwell think about the Communist tactics in Chapter 10?
5. What does the Republican government stand for?
6. What bad news do the POUM units hear in Chapter 12?
7. How has Barcelona changed in Chapter 13?
8. What does Franco stand for?
9. What trouble is brewing in Barcelona?
10. Why are snipers a problem in Chapter 12?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)