|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell say the Anarchists scrawled in every wall in Catalonia?
(a) A hammer and sickle.
(b) A Spanish flag.
(c) A British flag.
(d) A swasticker.
2. Why do people prefer the Popular Army to the militia?
(a) It has a goal.
(b) It is structured.
(c) It has better weapons.
(d) It has better living conditions.
3. Who heads the national Spanish government?
(a) Seve Cristanio Jambini.
(b) Francisco Largo Caballero.
(c) Carlos Torres Alonso.
(d) Jose Rocca Payno.
4. What form of transport does Orwell take to Lyrida?
5. What does Orwell's wife frequently mail him?
(a) Care packages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the area between the trenches?
2. Onto what kind of animal do the soldiers pack the water?
3. Where do they find out the two men are after they go looking for them in Chapter 7?
4. What war are the front lines in Zaragoza reminiscent of?
5. What weapon are Orwell and his troops supplied with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is POUM?
2. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
3. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
4. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
5. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
6. What is an officer's role in the militia?
7. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
8. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
9. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
10. Describe the front lines near Zaragoza.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)