|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads Orwell against the the Fascist lines?
(a) Georges Kopp.
(b) Torre Fabian.
(c) Jacques Wren.
(d) Horace Potts.
2. At what kind of fighting do the militia units prove most effective?
3. Who is the leader of the nationalists?
(a) General Mussolini.
(b) General Franco.
(c) General Castro.
(d) General Goebbels.
4. What is the terrain of no man's land?
5. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of rifle does Orwell receive?
2. What war are the front lines in Zaragoza reminiscent of?
3. What is the weather like as Orwell and his men leave to attack Fascist lines?
4. What confuses Orwell about the Spanish language in Barcelona?
5. What color did the Anarchists paint the trams and taxis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
2. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
3. Describe the conditions of the trenches.
4. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
5. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
6. In what way do conditions become more tolerable in Chapter 8?
7. Describe the front lines near Zaragoza.
8. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
9. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
10. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)