|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Spanish political party was under Communist control?
2. What is the name of the newspaper the Fascists drop?
(a) Heraldo de Aragun.
(b) Heraldo de Catalon.
3. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
4. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
(a) The meat queue.
(b) The cigarette queue.
(c) The bread queue.
(d) The sweet queue.
5. What makes Orwell's patrols difficult?
(a) The overhead bombs.
(b) The steep terrain.
(c) The stormy weather.
(d) The muddy terrain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the soldiers bathe?
2. What does the Heraldo de Aragun contain information about?
3. What does Orwell say was being systematically destroyed in Catalonia?
4. Who does Orwell say was in control of Catalonia when he arrived?
5. What does Orwell say he has been isolated from for 115 days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
2. What is an officer's role in the militia?
3. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
4. How did USSR gain control of the Republican regions of the country?
5. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
6. Who is POUM?
7. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
8. Describe the conditions of the trenches.
9. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
10. In what way do conditions become more tolerable in Chapter 8?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)