|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Orwell's patrols difficult?
(a) The muddy terrain.
(b) The steep terrain.
(c) The stormy weather.
(d) The overhead bombs.
2. What duty are the soldiers on the hilltop assigned?
(a) Gunner duty.
(b) Cooking duty.
(c) Propaganda duty.
(d) Drinks duty.
3. What does the Heraldo de Aragun contain information about?
(a) The defeat of the Nazis.
(b) The defeat of the Russians.
(c) The fall of Mblaga.
(d) The Polish invasion.
4. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
(a) Write newspaper articles.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Travel around the country.
(d) Protest against war.
5. Which Spanish political party was under Communist control?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country supplies arms to the Republicans?
2. What is the name of the area between the trenches?
3. Why does most of the Fascists' ammunition stay unexploded?
4. How does Orwell try to kill the fleeing Fascist?
5. Onto what kind of animal do the soldiers pack the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is POUM?
2. What is Barcelona like when Orwell first arrives in 1936?
3. What flags do the different sides fly?
4. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
5. What is the Popular Army?
6. What is Orwell's role as a Cabo?
7. Why does Orwell enlist in the militia?
8. In what way do conditions become more tolerable in Chapter 8?
9. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
10. Describe the front lines near Zaragoza.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)