|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell say the trenches stink of?
(a) Working men.
(b) Human excrement.
(c) Dead bodies.
(d) Cigar smoke.
2. Where is Orwell transferred to in Chapter 3?
(a) Monte Oscuro.
(b) Monte Toto.
(c) Monte Rego.
(d) Monte Carlo.
3. Whose political ideology did the POUM follow?
4. What rations end entirely in Chapter 8?
5. Where was POUM based?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following flags do the Republicans fly?
2. What is the name of the newspaper the Fascists drop?
3. What kind of insect rises from the ground?
4. Why does most of the Fascists' ammunition stay unexploded?
5. Why do people prefer the Popular Army to the militia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the front such a miserable place to live?
2. What is Barcelona like when Orwell first arrives in 1936?
3. How does Orwell's situation change at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. Who is the PSUC?
5. Why does Orwell enlist in the militia?
6. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
7. How are the militia soldiers organized?
8. What flags do the different sides fly?
9. Describe the front lines near Zaragoza.
10. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)