|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city do the anarchists attack in June?
2. Who does Orwell say was in control of Catalonia when he arrived?
(a) The Fascists.
(b) The Anarchists.
(c) The Capitalists.
(d) The Communists.
3. Why was Orwell's mission in Chapter 7 deemed a success?
(a) They showed the Fascists how serious they were.
(b) They did not lose any men.
(c) The Fascists had to call on external help.
(d) It drew troops away from Huesca.
4. What are the Popular Army officers armed with?
5. What duty are the soldiers on the hilltop assigned?
(a) Gunner duty.
(b) Propaganda duty.
(c) Cooking duty.
(d) Drinks duty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Onto what kind of animal do the soldiers pack the water?
2. Where is Orwell sent to at the end of Chapter 3?
3. Why does the hot weather prove problematic?
4. Who takes all the patients' belongings while Orwell is in hospital?
5. Where do the soldiers bathe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
2. What is an officer's role in the militia?
3. What is the job of the soldiers on the hilltops?
4. How do the militia and the Fascists fight each other in the trenches near Zaragoza?
5. What are Orwell's observations about Spanish culture in the opening chapter?
6. How are the militia soldiers organized?
7. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
8. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
9. In what way do conditions become more tolerable in Chapter 8?
10. How did the Italian militiaman influence Orwell?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)