|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon are Orwell and his troops supplied with?
(b) Machine guns.
(c) Mustard gas.
(d) Hand grenades.
2. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
(b) Crop planting.
(c) Tree planting.
(d) Opening markets.
3. Who does Orwell say was in control of Catalonia when he arrived?
(a) The Capitalists.
(b) The Fascists.
(c) The Communists.
(d) The Anarchists.
4. What duty are the soldiers on the hilltop assigned?
(a) Gunner duty.
(b) Cooking duty.
(c) Propaganda duty.
(d) Drinks duty.
5. Where do the Fascists mount a counter attack from?
(a) Under the ground.
(b) The air.
(c) The flanks.
(d) The top.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Orwell transferred to in Chapter 3?
2. Where is the hospital Orwell is sent to?
3. How do Orwell and his troops respond when the nationalists fire at them?
4. To what city has Orwell's wife moved?
5. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
Short Essay Questions
1. What flags do the different sides fly?
2. Why does Orwell enlist in the militia?
3. Who is POUM?
4. Describe the conditions in Huesca.
5. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
6. What disgusts Orwell about the weapons he receives?
7. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
8. What is Barcelona like when Orwell first arrives in 1936?
9. What is an officer's role in the militia?
10. What is Orwell's experience of military hospitals in Chapter 6?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)