|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the militia fight in Zaragoza?
(a) The Fascists.
(b) The Nationalists.
(c) The Capitalists.
(d) The Communists.
2. Which military group in Spain did Stalin suppress?
3. What does Orwell say he has been isolated from for 115 days?
(d) A bed.
4. Where does Orwell's POUM unit travel to from Sietamo?
5. What happens on April 25, 1937?
(a) Orwell's unit is relieved.
(b) The Fascists surrender.
(c) Orwell's unit is taken captive.
(d) Orwell makes his escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who heads the national Spanish government?
2. What two languages does Orwell speak fluently?
3. What does a Column mean?
4. What kind of insect rises from the ground?
5. What do the troops have to cut through to get to the enemy lines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What flags do the different sides fly?
2. What does Orwell do once he reaches his trench?
3. How do the Fascists force Orwell and his troops back to their own trenches?
4. What is an officer's role in the militia?
5. How do Orwell and his troops secure a trench area?
6. How does the hot weather make life in the trenches intolerable again?
7. What is the Republican's plan to ambush the Fascists?
8. Describe the front lines near Zaragoza.
9. How does propaganda prove successful on both sides?
10. What does Orwell observe as he travels through Spain?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)