|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For which of the POUM members has the government issued a warrant?
2. What group has now been declared an illegal organization?
3. Where will Orwell be fighting if he is transferred to the International Column?
4. Who does Orwell meet on his return to Barcelona?
5. What does Orwell say a fat man eats while children beg for bread?
(a) A duck.
(b) A quail.
6. What do the Civil Guards want CNT to surrender?
(a) The city libraries.
(b) The postal system.
(c) The telephone exchange.
(d) The police force.
7. From what city do the government soldiers arrive?
8. What is erected in the city the next morning?
(a) Street barricades.
(b) Gunner towers.
(c) Tower blocks.
(d) Watch towers.
9. What does Orwell say are the two main political groups in Spain?
(a) The Fascists and the Anarchists.
(b) The Fascists and the Capitalists.
(c) The Communists and the Anarchists.
(d) The Communists and the Capitalists.
10. What does Orwell say has returned to Barcelona?
(a) Class and privilege.
(b) Snobbery and hatred.
(c) Chaos and disorder.
(d) Peace and calm.
11. Which group has gained control of Barcelona?
12. What kind of fighting does Kopp tell his men they have been ordered to engage in?
(a) Distant fighting.
(b) Sneak attacks.
(c) Defensive fighting.
(d) Offensive fighting.
13. What does the Spanish government order everyone to surrender?
(a) Privately owned weapons.
(b) Privately owned land.
(c) Privately owned vehicles.
(d) Privately owned businesses.
14. Who does the government's heavily armed police force exclude?
(c) Fascist officers.
(d) Trade union members.
15. What country does Orwell decide travel to go to complete his recovery?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose tactic does Orwell say disgusts him?
2. What is the name of the small political organization which publishes a radical leaflet calling for sustained revolution?
3. How does Orwell describe the atmosphere in Barcelona?
4. Where is Orwell invited to transfer to at the end of Chapter 10?
5. What country does Orwell travel to at the end of the book?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)