|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Orwell say he speaks badly?
2. What do the troops have to cut through to get to the enemy lines?
(c) Long grass.
3. Why were the streets of Catalonia dimly lit at night?
(a) To stop people leaving their houses.
(b) To save energy.
(c) To stop foreigners coming in.
(d) For fear of air raids.
4. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
(a) Write newspaper articles.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Travel around the country.
(d) Protest against war.
5. What makes Orwell's patrols difficult?
(a) The stormy weather.
(b) The muddy terrain.
(c) The overhead bombs.
(d) The steep terrain.
6. What rations end entirely in Chapter 8?
7. Why was Orwell's mission in Chapter 7 deemed a success?
(a) It drew troops away from Huesca.
(b) They did not lose any men.
(c) They showed the Fascists how serious they were.
(d) The Fascists had to call on external help.
8. What weapon are Orwell and his troops supplied with?
(a) Mustard gas.
(c) Machine guns.
(d) Hand grenades.
9. Who takes all the patients' belongings while Orwell is in hospital?
(a) The orderlies.
(b) The doctors.
(c) The nurses.
(d) The visitors.
10. Where do they find out the two men are after they go looking for them in Chapter 7?
(a) A hotel.
(b) The hospital.
(c) A forest cave.
(d) The Fascist trenches.
11. What does Orwell smoke at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A joint.
(c) A cigar.
(d) A pipe.
12. Where does Orwell's POUM unit travel to from Sietamo?
13. What are the Popular Army officers armed with?
14. Which military group in Spain did Stalin suppress?
15. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
(a) The sweet queue.
(b) The meat queue.
(c) The bread queue.
(d) The cigarette queue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like as Orwell and his men leave to attack Fascist lines?
2. What does the militia attack in late March?
3. Which of the following flags do the Nationalists fly?
4. What color did the Anarchists paint the trams and taxis?
5. Whose political ideology did the POUM follow?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)