|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of drink do the soldiers have plenty of?
2. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack in Chapter 3?
(a) A violent abuse of power.
(b) A genocide.
(c) A funky mess.
(d) A furious assault.
3. What is on top of each hilltop?
(a) A flag.
(b) A machine gunner.
(c) A head quarters.
(d) A tank.
4. How do Orwell and his troops respond when the nationalists fire at them?
(b) Throw their grenades.
(d) Run away.
5. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
(a) The bread queue.
(b) The meat queue.
(c) The cigarette queue.
(d) The sweet queue.
6. What starts to make life in the trenches more pleasant in Chapter 8?
(a) The weather.
(b) A visit from the soldier's wives.
(c) The end of the ammunition.
(d) The reopening of the postal system.
7. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
(b) Tree planting.
(c) Crop planting.
(d) Opening markets.
8. What is the name of the area between the trenches?
(a) The party zone.
(b) The desert.
(c) The dead zone.
(d) No man's land.
9. What is the name of the newspaper the Fascists drop?
(a) Heraldo de Catalon.
(b) Heraldo de Aragun.
10. What confuses Orwell about the Spanish language in Barcelona?
(a) The dialect.
(b) The slang.
(c) The speed.
(d) The humor.
11. What is the name of the army unit that arrives on the Aragon in June, 1937?
(a) The Red Army.
(b) The POUM Army.
(c) The Popular Army.
(d) The Militia Army.
12. Which of the following groups supports General Franco?
(a) The militia.
(b) The Jewish rabbis.
(c) The British government.
(d) The Catholic Church.
13. Where does Orwell's POUM unit travel to from Sietamo?
14. In what way do things start to get better in mid April?
(a) The Fascists show signs of giving up.
(b) Weather gets warmer.
(c) The soldiers receive better clothes.
(d) The soldiers receive better weapons.
15. What does Orwell say he suffers from in late March?
(a) Poisoned foot.
(b) Shell shock.
(c) Brain damage.
(d) Poisoned hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Orwell's patrols difficult?
2. What do the Republicans do with the Fascists' unexploded bombs?
3. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
4. What does Orwell's wife frequently mail him?
5. What does Orwell use to make a makeshift wall?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)