|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Orwell say he speaks badly?
2. What does Orwell say the Anarchists scrawled in every wall in Catalonia?
(a) A swasticker.
(b) A hammer and sickle.
(c) A British flag.
(d) A Spanish flag.
3. What weapon are Orwell and his troops supplied with?
(a) Machine guns.
(b) Hand grenades.
(d) Mustard gas.
4. Which of the following flags do the Republicans fly?
5. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
6. Who leads Orwell against the the Fascist lines?
(a) Horace Potts.
(b) Torre Fabian.
(c) Jacques Wren.
(d) Georges Kopp.
7. Where is Orwell transferred to in Chapter 3?
(a) Monte Oscuro.
(b) Monte Toto.
(c) Monte Rego.
(d) Monte Carlo.
8. What is the name of the area between the trenches?
(a) The desert.
(b) No man's land.
(c) The dead zone.
(d) The party zone.
9. Where was POUM based?
10. What makes Orwell's patrols difficult?
(a) The overhead bombs.
(b) The steep terrain.
(c) The stormy weather.
(d) The muddy terrain.
11. What do the Republicans do with the Fascists' unexploded bombs?
(a) Use them to keep warm.
(b) Throw them back.
(c) Send them home.
(d) Use them for furniture.
12. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
(a) Protest against war.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Write newspaper articles.
(d) Travel around the country.
13. What is the name of the army unit that arrives on the Aragon in June, 1937?
(a) The Popular Army.
(b) The Militia Army.
(c) The POUM Army.
(d) The Red Army.
14. What does Orwell say was being systematically destroyed in Catalonia?
(d) Government buildings.
15. Onto what kind of animal do the soldiers pack the water?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on top of each hilltop?
2. What is the name of the other Englishman that is transferred to Monte Oscuro with Orwell?
3. What two languages can Kopp speak?
4. What kind of bird do the peasants like to hunt?
5. What two languages does Orwell speak fluently?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)