|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weapon are Orwell and his troops supplied with?
(b) Mustard gas.
(c) Hand grenades.
(d) Machine guns.
2. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
3. What does a Column mean?
(a) An Arsenal.
(b) A large number of soldiers.
(c) An enemy line.
(d) An article in a newspaper.
4. What are officers regarded as in the militia?
(a) The first line of attack.
(b) God like.
(d) A necessary evil.
5. Whose political ideology did the POUM follow?
6. Which of the following is not a Spanish political party?
7. What kind of bird do the peasants like to hunt?
8. Where does the militia march to after getting armed?
9. What does Orwell's wife frequently mail him?
(c) Care packages.
10. Where do the Fascists mount a counter attack from?
(a) Under the ground.
(b) The top.
(c) The air.
(d) The flanks.
11. What does Orwell ideally want to fight against?
12. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
(a) Travel around the country.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Protest against war.
(d) Write newspaper articles.
13. Which country supplies arms to the Republicans?
14. What does the Heraldo de Aragun contain information about?
(a) The defeat of the Russians.
(b) The fall of Mblaga.
(c) The Polish invasion.
(d) The defeat of the Nazis.
15. Why does most of the Fascists' ammunition stay unexploded?
(a) It is badly made.
(b) It is too old.
(c) It is not thrown with enough force.
(d) It is too cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was POUM based?
2. Where does Orwell's POUM unit travel to from Sietamo?
3. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
4. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
5. What form of transport does Orwell's unit take to Barbastro?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)