|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war are the front lines in Zaragoza reminiscent of?
(a) The Mafia Wars.
(b) The One Hundred Years War.
(c) World War One.
(d) The Boer War.
2. To what city has Orwell's wife moved?
3. What does Orwell say was being systematically destroyed in Catalonia?
(d) Government buildings.
4. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
(a) Opening markets.
(b) Tree planting.
(d) Crop planting.
5. What does Orwell's wife frequently mail him?
(d) Care packages.
6. Why was Orwell's mission in Chapter 7 deemed a success?
(a) The Fascists had to call on external help.
(b) They did not lose any men.
(c) They showed the Fascists how serious they were.
(d) It drew troops away from Huesca.
7. Who heads the national Spanish government?
(a) Francisco Largo Caballero.
(b) Seve Cristanio Jambini.
(c) Carlos Torres Alonso.
(d) Jose Rocca Payno.
8. What is the weather like as Orwell and his men leave to attack Fascist lines?
9. Where was POUM based?
10. Why do people prefer the Popular Army to the militia?
(a) It has a goal.
(b) It has better living conditions.
(c) It has better weapons.
(d) It is structured.
11. What does Orwell say he has been isolated from for 115 days?
(b) A bed.
12. What happens on April 25, 1937?
(a) The Fascists surrender.
(b) Orwell makes his escape.
(c) Orwell's unit is relieved.
(d) Orwell's unit is taken captive.
13. What do the Republicans do with the Fascists' unexploded bombs?
(a) Use them to keep warm.
(b) Throw them back.
(c) Use them for furniture.
(d) Send them home.
14. Which military group in Spain did Stalin suppress?
15. What does Orwell say the Anarchists scrawled in every wall in Catalonia?
(a) A hammer and sickle.
(b) A Spanish flag.
(c) A swasticker.
(d) A British flag.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
2. What confuses Orwell about the Spanish language in Barcelona?
3. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
4. What is on top of each hilltop?
5. Which country supplies arms to the Republicans?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)