|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people prefer the Popular Army to the militia?
(a) It has a goal.
(b) It has better living conditions.
(c) It is structured.
(d) It has better weapons.
2. Why were the streets of Catalonia dimly lit at night?
(a) To stop foreigners coming in.
(b) To save energy.
(c) For fear of air raids.
(d) To stop people leaving their houses.
3. What is the name of the army unit that arrives on the Aragon in June, 1937?
(a) The POUM Army.
(b) The Militia Army.
(c) The Popular Army.
(d) The Red Army.
4. What do the soldiers think caused the downfall of Mblaga?
5. Why was Orwell's mission in Chapter 7 deemed a success?
(a) They showed the Fascists how serious they were.
(b) They did not lose any men.
(c) It drew troops away from Huesca.
(d) The Fascists had to call on external help.
6. What do the soldiers use to shout out political slogans?
7. How does Orwell try to kill the fleeing Fascist?
(a) By beating him around the head.
(b) By throwing an axe at him.
(c) By shooting him.
(d) By bayoneting him.
8. What duty are the soldiers on the hilltop assigned?
(a) Gunner duty.
(b) Cooking duty.
(c) Drinks duty.
(d) Propaganda duty.
9. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
(a) Write newspaper articles.
(b) Protest against war.
(c) Write a book.
(d) Travel around the country.
10. What does Orwell say he has been isolated from for 115 days?
(a) A bed.
11. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
(a) Crop planting.
(c) Tree planting.
(d) Opening markets.
12. What is the name of the newspaper the Fascists drop?
(b) Heraldo de Aragun.
(c) Heraldo de Catalon.
13. What kind of rifle does Orwell receive?
(a) An English marksman.
(b) A German Mauser.
(c) A Dutch Yoodle.
(d) An AK-47.
14. Who heads the national Spanish government?
(a) Carlos Torres Alonso.
(b) Francisco Largo Caballero.
(c) Jose Rocca Payno.
(d) Seve Cristanio Jambini.
15. Why does most of the Fascists' ammunition stay unexploded?
(a) It is too old.
(b) It is badly made.
(c) It is not thrown with enough force.
(d) It is too cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of insect rises from the ground?
2. Which of the following flags do the Nationalists fly?
3. Why does the hot weather prove problematic?
4. Members of which army does Orwell say swagger around Barcelona?
5. In what part of Spain is Mblaga located?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)