|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
(a) Protest against war.
(b) Travel around the country.
(c) Write newspaper articles.
(d) Write a book.
2. Which of the following groups supports General Franco?
(a) The British government.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The Jewish rabbis.
(d) The militia.
3. What war are the front lines in Zaragoza reminiscent of?
(a) The One Hundred Years War.
(b) The Boer War.
(c) World War One.
(d) The Mafia Wars.
4. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
5. Why do people prefer the Popular Army to the militia?
(a) It is structured.
(b) It has better living conditions.
(c) It has better weapons.
(d) It has a goal.
6. Where is the hospital Orwell is sent to?
7. At what kind of fighting do the militia units prove most effective?
8. What is the name of the newspaper the Fascists drop?
(a) Heraldo de Catalon.
(b) Heraldo de Aragun.
9. What weapon are Orwell and his troops supplied with?
(a) Mustard gas.
(b) Machine guns.
(c) Hand grenades.
10. Onto what kind of animal do the soldiers pack the water?
11. What is on top of each hilltop?
(a) A machine gunner.
(b) A flag.
(c) A head quarters.
(d) A tank.
12. Which of the following flags do the Nationalists fly?
13. Which military group in Spain did Stalin suppress?
14. Where does Orwell's POUM unit travel to from Sietamo?
15. What happens on April 25, 1937?
(a) Orwell's unit is relieved.
(b) Orwell's unit is taken captive.
(c) The Fascists surrender.
(d) Orwell makes his escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of transport does Orwell's unit take to Barbastro?
2. Where is Orwell transferred to in Chapter 3?
3. How has Barcelona now changed?
4. Why were the streets of Catalonia dimly lit at night?
5. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)