|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two languages can Kopp speak?
(a) English and French.
(b) Spanish and German.
(c) Italian and French.
(d) Spanish and English.
2. What do the troops have to cut through to get to the enemy lines?
(c) Long grass.
3. Which of the following groups supports General Franco?
(a) The British government.
(b) The Jewish rabbis.
(c) The Catholic Church.
(d) The militia.
4. What is the terrain of no man's land?
5. What is the name of the area between the trenches?
(a) No man's land.
(b) The desert.
(c) The dead zone.
(d) The party zone.
6. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
(a) The bread queue.
(b) The meat queue.
(c) The sweet queue.
(d) The cigarette queue.
7. What does the Heraldo de Aragun contain information about?
(a) The fall of Mblaga.
(b) The defeat of the Nazis.
(c) The defeat of the Russians.
(d) The Polish invasion.
8. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
9. What kind of drink do the soldiers have plenty of?
10. What kind of insect rises from the ground?
11. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
12. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
(b) Opening markets.
(c) Crop planting.
(d) Tree planting.
13. Why was Orwell's mission in Chapter 7 deemed a success?
(a) They showed the Fascists how serious they were.
(b) The Fascists had to call on external help.
(c) They did not lose any men.
(d) It drew troops away from Huesca.
14. Where does Orwell's unit march to?
15. Where do the soldiers bathe?
(a) The local baths.
(b) The sea.
(c) The lake.
(d) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country supplies arms to the Republicans?
2. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
3. What weapon are Orwell and his troops supplied with?
4. Which military group in Spain did Stalin suppress?
5. Which of the following flags do the Republicans fly?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)