|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who heads the national Spanish government?
(a) Jose Rocca Payno.
(b) Carlos Torres Alonso.
(c) Seve Cristanio Jambini.
(d) Francisco Largo Caballero.
2. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
(a) Crop planting.
(b) Opening markets.
(d) Tree planting.
3. What is the name of the army unit that arrives on the Aragon in June, 1937?
(a) The Red Army.
(b) The POUM Army.
(c) The Popular Army.
(d) The Militia Army.
4. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
5. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
6. Why does the hot weather prove problematic?
(a) It destroys equipment and clothes.
(b) People are too tired to fight.
(c) People struggle to breathe.
(d) It causes people to runaway.
7. Other than wine what other luxury do the soldiers have plenty of?
8. What queue does Orwell describe as often hundreds of yards long?
(a) The meat queue.
(b) The bread queue.
(c) The sweet queue.
(d) The cigarette queue.
9. What is the name of the newspaper the Fascists drop?
(a) Heraldo de Aragun.
(c) Heraldo de Catalon.
10. Who is the leader of the nationalists?
(a) General Franco.
(b) General Goebbels.
(c) General Mussolini.
(d) General Castro.
11. Why were the streets of Catalonia dimly lit at night?
(a) To save energy.
(b) To stop foreigners coming in.
(c) For fear of air raids.
(d) To stop people leaving their houses.
12. What does Orwell say he has been isolated from for 115 days?
(c) A bed.
13. Who does Orwell say was in control of Catalonia when he arrived?
(a) The Fascists.
(b) The Communists.
(c) The Anarchists.
(d) The Capitalists.
14. Whose political ideology did the POUM follow?
15. Where is Orwell sent to at the end of Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers think caused the downfall of Mblaga?
2. What are officers regarded as in the militia?
3. What makes Orwell's patrols difficult?
4. What does Orwell ideally want to fight against?
5. What kind of weapons is the militia issued?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)