|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
2. What does the militia attack in late March?
3. Where does the POUM travel to from Barbastro?
4. In what way do things start to get better in mid April?
(a) The soldiers receive better weapons.
(b) The Fascists show signs of giving up.
(c) The soldiers receive better clothes.
(d) Weather gets warmer.
5. Where is Orwell sent to at the end of Chapter 3?
6. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
7. Why does the hot weather prove problematic?
(a) It destroys equipment and clothes.
(b) People are too tired to fight.
(c) It causes people to runaway.
(d) People struggle to breathe.
8. What is the weather like as Orwell and his men leave to attack Fascist lines?
9. What language does Orwell say he speaks badly?
10. What is the name of the area between the trenches?
(a) No man's land.
(b) The dead zone.
(c) The desert.
(d) The party zone.
11. What is the name of the other Englishman that is transferred to Monte Oscuro with Orwell?
12. What happens on April 25, 1937?
(a) The Fascists surrender.
(b) Orwell's unit is taken captive.
(c) Orwell's unit is relieved.
(d) Orwell makes his escape.
13. What is the terrain of no man's land?
14. What does Orwell say the Anarchists scrawled in every wall in Catalonia?
(a) A hammer and sickle.
(b) A British flag.
(c) A swasticker.
(d) A Spanish flag.
15. Who leads Orwell against the the Fascist lines?
(a) Torre Fabian.
(b) Jacques Wren.
(c) Georges Kopp.
(d) Horace Potts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a Spanish political party?
2. What two languages can Kopp speak?
3. What kind of insect rises from the ground?
4. What do the peasants start doing in Spring?
5. Who does the militia fight in Zaragoza?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)