|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are officers regarded as in the militia?
(a) A necessary evil.
(c) The first line of attack.
(d) God like.
2. What does Orwell say was being systematically destroyed in Catalonia?
(b) Government buildings.
3. Who does Orwell describe as a tough looking youth of 26?
(a) A German soldier.
(b) A popular army member.
(c) An Italian millitiaman.
(d) A paratrooper.
4. What rations end entirely in Chapter 8?
5. What is the terrain of no man's land?
6. In what part of Spain is Mblaga located?
(a) Southern Spain.
(b) Central Spain.
(c) Western Spain.
(d) Northern Spain.
7. To what city has Orwell's wife moved?
8. What kind of weapons is the militia issued?
(c) Machine guns.
9. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
10. What confuses Orwell about the Spanish language in Barcelona?
(a) The slang.
(b) The speed.
(c) The humor.
(d) The dialect.
11. What do people start saying instead of Buenos dias?
12. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
(a) Protest against war.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Travel around the country.
(d) Write newspaper articles.
13. Why was Orwell's mission in Chapter 7 deemed a success?
(a) They showed the Fascists how serious they were.
(b) They did not lose any men.
(c) The Fascists had to call on external help.
(d) It drew troops away from Huesca.
14. Which Spanish political party was under Communist control?
15. What two languages does Orwell speak fluently?
(a) Spanish and French.
(b) English and German.
(c) English and French.
(d) Arabic and Russian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of insect rises from the ground?
2. Who does Orwell say was in control of Catalonia when he arrived?
3. Who does the militia fight in Zaragoza?
4. What kind of bird do the peasants like to hunt?
5. What does the militia attack in late March?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)