|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what kind of fighting do the militia units prove most effective?
2. Members of which army does Orwell say swagger around Barcelona?
(a) The Militia.
(b) The German Army.
(c) The Popular Army.
(d) The Fascist Army.
3. What kind of rodent do the soldiers begin to see everywhere?
4. In what way do things start to get better in mid April?
(a) The soldiers receive better weapons.
(b) Weather gets warmer.
(c) The soldiers receive better clothes.
(d) The Fascists show signs of giving up.
5. Who leads Orwell against the the Fascist lines?
(a) Jacques Wren.
(b) Torre Fabian.
(c) Georges Kopp.
(d) Horace Potts.
6. What is on top of each hilltop?
(a) A machine gunner.
(b) A flag.
(c) A head quarters.
(d) A tank.
7. Onto what kind of animal do the soldiers pack the water?
8. What does Orwell say he originally came to Spain to do?
(a) Travel around the country.
(b) Write a book.
(c) Write newspaper articles.
(d) Protest against war.
9. Where does Orwell's unit march to?
10. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
11. Where does the POUM travel to from Barbastro?
12. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
13. What kind of drink do the soldiers have plenty of?
14. Where is the hospital Orwell is sent to?
15. How do the newspapers report the Fascist attack in Chapter 3?
(a) A funky mess.
(b) A genocide.
(c) A furious assault.
(d) A violent abuse of power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What duty are the soldiers on the hilltop assigned?
2. Who takes all the patients' belongings while Orwell is in hospital?
3. What confuses Orwell about the Spanish language in Barcelona?
4. Where does Orwell's POUM unit travel to from Sietamo?
5. What do the soldiers use to shout out political slogans?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)