|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the hospital Orwell is sent to?
2. What war are the front lines in Zaragoza reminiscent of?
(a) The One Hundred Years War.
(b) The Boer War.
(c) The Mafia Wars.
(d) World War One.
3. What duty are the soldiers on the hilltop assigned?
(a) Propaganda duty.
(b) Cooking duty.
(c) Gunner duty.
(d) Drinks duty.
4. What makes Orwell's patrols difficult?
(a) The muddy terrain.
(b) The stormy weather.
(c) The steep terrain.
(d) The overhead bombs.
5. Where was POUM based?
6. What does Orwell say he is surprised to feel when the Fascist infantry attacks?
7. What is the name of the newspaper the Fascists drop?
(a) Heraldo de Catalon.
(c) Heraldo de Aragun.
8. What unit does Orwell's English paper allow him to join?
9. Where do the soldiers bathe?
(a) The sea.
(b) The local baths.
(c) The river.
(d) The lake.
10. How does Orwell try to kill the fleeing Fascist?
(a) By throwing an axe at him.
(b) By bayoneting him.
(c) By shooting him.
(d) By beating him around the head.
11. Where do they find out the two men are after they go looking for them in Chapter 7?
(a) The Fascist trenches.
(b) A forest cave.
(c) A hotel.
(d) The hospital.
12. Why does most of the Fascists' ammunition stay unexploded?
(a) It is too cold.
(b) It is badly made.
(c) It is not thrown with enough force.
(d) It is too old.
13. What do the soldiers think caused the downfall of Mblaga?
14. Who does Orwell say was in control of Catalonia when he arrived?
(a) The Capitalists.
(b) The Fascists.
(c) The Anarchists.
(d) The Communists.
15. In what part of Spain is Mblaga located?
(a) Western Spain.
(b) Southern Spain.
(c) Northern Spain.
(d) Central Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are officers regarded as in the militia?
2. Who does Orwell describe as a tough looking youth of 26?
3. At what kind of fighting do the militia units prove most effective?
4. What does Orwell use to make a makeshift wall?
5. What city does Orwell arrive in on April 26?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)