|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the creature with a pretty face and stolen eyes that grabs Susan's sword as she comes up the stairs in the house?
2. What is the last name listed on the list of addresses that Susan finds in Violet's house?
3. Who says that there is a limited amount of belief in the world?
4. What does Susan see when she rides through a snowy forest?
5. What is a sign that tells Susan that Violet has not been in her house in a while?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is special about the drawing in the life book that Susan sees in Death's house?
2. What does the clipping sound remind Peachy of?
3. Describe the chase.
4. What happens when Death returns Susan home? What do they do?
5. What happens with the beggars on the streets of Ankh-Morph that makes Albert furious?
6. What is the strange memory that Bilious has about his manifestation into physical form?
7. Where does Teatime fall? What does he do?
8. What concerns Albert about Death's behavior?
9. Who are Stibbons and Ridcully able to see because they are wizards? What do they ask him?
10. Who is the girl that collects teeth? What is strange about her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan and Death are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them? What is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Susan had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Death had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses a few iterations on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the stories. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)