|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the dog that Susan finds?
2. What does the sound that Chickenwire hear remind him of?
3. What is different about the librarian?
4. What does Susan realize that the heap of teeth downstairs is used for?
5. What does Susan realize when Binkey goes into the land where Violet was last seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Death returns Susan home? What do they do?
2. What do the Auditors have to do and why?
3. Whom do Susan and Bilious find in another room of the house?
4. What does Bilious notice about the sword that Susan takes from Death's house?
5. What is unusual about the librarian?
6. Where does Teatime fall? What does he do?
7. Why is Chickenwire screaming?
8. What happens with the beggars on the streets of Ankh-Morph that makes Albert furious?
9. What does the restaurant manager tell the staff to do?
10. Who is the girl that collects teeth? What is strange about her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan and Death are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them? What is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Susan had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Death had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Teeth have particular significance in the Hogfather. What is the significance of having a tooth in the story? Why does Mr. Teatime want to have possession of teeth? Who has visions of teeth throughout the story? Who is the Tooth Fairy ultimately revealed to be? What is the importance of this discovery and the character's role? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses a few iterations on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)