|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who catches Chickenwire when he runs to the door?
2. What do Death and Albert argue about?
3. Why does Death believe that you need to believe in the Hogfather?
4. Who drops from the sky on to a feasting table at the Unseen University?
5. Who is the man with a glass eye that inspires fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom do Susan and Bilious find in another room of the house?
2. What is the importance of the chase that Susan sees in the snowy forest?
3. What is unusual about the librarian?
4. Why is Chickenwire screaming?
5. What happens when Death returns Susan home? What do they do?
6. Who are Stibbons and Ridcully able to see because they are wizards? What do they ask him?
7. Where does Teatime fall? What does he do?
8. Describe the chase.
9. Why does Susan go to Bier's?
10. Who is the girl that collects teeth? What is strange about her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Teeth have particular significance in the Hogfather. What is the significance of having a tooth in the story? Why does Mr. Teatime want to have possession of teeth? Who has visions of teeth throughout the story? Who is the Tooth Fairy ultimately revealed to be? What is the importance of this discovery and the character's role? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses a few iterations on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Terry Pratchett makes a clear reference to the myth surrounding the story of "Good King Wenceslas" when Death sends a shower of food to the beggars on the streets of Ankh-Morpork. What is this reference? How are the two stories similar and how are they different? Describe.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)