|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Death believe that you need to believe in the Hogfather?
2. Why is Violet necessary for Susan's quest?
3. What does the manager tell the staff to do because they do not have any food?
4. What is the first step in fixing what is wrong with people because humans have enemies?
5. What does Susan see lying dead in the snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bilious notice about the sword that Susan takes from Death's house?
2. How do Chickenwire's fears prevent him from killing Bilious?
3. What does the restaurant manager tell the staff to do?
4. Why is Chickenwire screaming?
5. What happens when Death returns Susan home? What do they do?
6. Whom do Susan and Bilious find in another room of the house?
7. Describe the chase.
8. Where does Teatime fall? What does he do?
9. What does Susan discover in the house of the girl who collects teeth?
10. What does Teatime do that causes great tension for Medium Dave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Susan and Death are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them? What is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Susan had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Death had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Teeth have particular significance in the Hogfather. What is the significance of having a tooth in the story? Why does Mr. Teatime want to have possession of teeth? Who has visions of teeth throughout the story? Who is the Tooth Fairy ultimately revealed to be? What is the importance of this discovery and the character's role? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)