|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much will each member receive in exchange for participating in the adventure?
2. Who suggests that Death make a public appearance to increase belief in the Hogfather?
3. What does Death leave at the house of the boy who does not believe in the Hogfather?
4. What does Death decide to do about the outcome of the wish?
5. What is surprising to Susan about the objects she finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is inside the package that Corporal Nobbs opens with Constable Visit?
2. Who comes when Susan whistles when she goes outside with Raven and the Death of Rats?
3. Describe Susan.
4. Why does Death need to make a public appearance?
5. Who appears in Biers? What does he say to Susan?
6. What does a little girl ask for that horrifies Death?
7. What is interesting about the hourglasses that Susan finds in the room?
8. Why do the Auditors approach Lord Downey?
9. What does Susan ask Ridcully?
10. What does the Death of Rats learn about the Hogfather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Terry Pratchett makes a clear reference to the myth surrounding the story of "Good King Wenceslas" when Death sends a shower of food to the beggars on the streets of Ankh-Morpork. What is this reference? How are the two stories similar and how are they different? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the stories. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Susan is the grandchild of Death. What family traits do they possess in common? Are they physical or personality traits? Where do they clash and are they similar in their methods of handling conflict or change? Describe their family traits.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)