|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is something a wizard asks for but does not get because he does not believe in it?
2. Who watches Teatime and comments on his resourcefulness?
3. What horrifies Death when he flies to the next stop?
4. Who accompanies Susan outside her house?
5. Who helps Ernie stand up after being stabbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is inside the package that Corporal Nobbs opens with Constable Visit?
2. What does the Death of Rats learn about the Hogfather?
3. What does Susan discover when she arrives at the Castle of Bones? Why is it collapsing?
4. Who is Mr. Teatime? Who is his team comprised of?
5. What does Susan discover in the books about the Hogfather in Death's library?
6. What is ironic about Bilious's role as the God of Hangovers?
7. Who is Twyla? What is her role in the story?
8. Where does Susan first enter in Death's house?
9. Why does Mr. Crumley call the City Watch?
10. Whom does Susan meet when she goes to the bar called Biers? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses a few iterations on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Susan is the grandchild of Death. What family traits do they possess in common? Are they physical or personality traits? Where do they clash and are they similar in their methods of handling conflict or change? Describe their family traits.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the stories. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)