Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
2. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
3. What colors is Smaug?
4. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
5. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
Essay Topic 1
In his essay on "fairy stories" (what we would call fantasy stories) called "On Fairy-Stories," Tolkien claimed that all good fairy tales contain what he calls a "eucatastrophe," a moment or "turn" of victory, success and climax that gives the listener/reader a sharp pang of joy and consolation, along with the knowledge that all will be well in spite of the hardships that have gone before.
What is the moment of "eucatastrophe" in The Hobbit? Describe it in detail and explain why you think that it is the turn and climax of the action.
Essay Topic 2
The contrast between light and darkness is often used as a symbol of the contrast between good and evil. Does The Hobbit use this symbolism so that light always represents or symbolizes good while darkness always represents or is associated with evil? Give examples to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is one of the following themes significant, and what is said about each one in The Hobbit? Choose ONE of the following:
1. Home and "belonging"
3. The attributes that make a hero
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)