|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors is Smaug?
2. What makes Bilbo drop his torch after finding the Arkenstone?
3. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
4. What is the name of Dain's father?
5. What is the most common building material used in Laketown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
2. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
3. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
4. What is the dwarves' original plan or strategy?
5. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
6. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
7. Why does Smaug laugh when Bilbo tells him that revenge is one of the motives of their quest?
8. What effect does the sight of the treasure have on the dwarves?
9. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
10. How do Bilbo and the dwarves know that they have successfully found the secret entrance into the mountain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Song and poems are often significant in The Hobbit. Choose two of the songs or poems that you believe to be particularly important and explain their significance in detail. Ways that a song or poem can be significant may include foreshadowing, revealing character, developing a theme or explaining background.
Essay Topic 2
Tolkien presents the elves, and in particular the Elvenking, as being Good People. Considering the character of the Elvenking, do you think Tolkien has succeeded in portraying the Wood Elves as good or likable characters? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The contrast between light and darkness is often used as a symbol of the contrast between good and evil. Does The Hobbit use this symbolism so that light always represents or symbolizes good while darkness always represents or is associated with evil? Give examples to illustrate your answer.
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)