|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thorin learn that Bilbo was the one who gave the Arkenstone to Bard and the Elvenking?
2. What is the first hint of the dragon's presence that Bilbo notices as he descends the tunnel?
3. What is the other name for the Arkenstone?
4. What mistaken belief is held by the younger people of Laketown?
5. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The contrast between light and darkness is often used as a symbol of the contrast between good and evil. Does The Hobbit use this symbolism so that light always represents or symbolizes good while darkness always represents or is associated with evil? Give examples to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Fantasy stories and quests often tell of the struggle between good and evil. How are good and evil characterized in The Hobbit?
Part 1: Identify the characters that are defined as being good. What are the attitudes, beliefs and actions of characters that are considered to be good?
Part 2: Identify the characters that represent evil. What are the attitudes, beliefs and actions of these characters?
Part 3: Is the divide between good and evil clear-cut, or are there some characters that are mixed (e.g. a good character shows some characteristics that are bad)? Give details.
Essay Topic 3
To what extent is one of the following themes significant, and what is said about each one in The Hobbit? Choose ONE of the following:
1. Home and "belonging"
3. The attributes that make a hero
This section contains 1,555 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)