Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sit beside Thorin at the high table after Thorin proclaims himself as the descendant of Thror, King Under the Mountain?
2. What skills or interests does the Master have that have made him the ruler of Laketown?
3. What colors is Smaug?
4. What does Bilbo most want to happen while the dwarves are preparing for a siege by the elves and Lakemen?
5. Who killed Bolg, the goblin cheiftan?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the character of Bilbo changes from the start of the novel to the end. How does he stay the same?
Essay Topic 2
Many locations are described within the world of The Hobbit. Where would you most like to live in this world and why? Are there any disadvantages or downsides of living in the place you have chosen?
Choose from one of the following possible locations:
3. Beorn's house
5. The palace of the Elvenking
Essay Topic 3
In his essay on "fairy stories" (what we would call fantasy stories) called "On Fairy-Stories," Tolkien claimed that all good fairy tales contain what he calls a "eucatastrophe," a moment or "turn" of victory, success and climax that gives the listener/reader a sharp pang of joy and consolation, along with the knowledge that all will be well in spite of the hardships that have gone before.
What is the moment of "eucatastrophe" in The Hobbit? Describe it in detail and explain why you think that it is the turn and climax of the action.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)