|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the King of the Wood Elves wiser than the men of Laketown?
2. Who carries the wooden casket holding the Arkenstone to the parley with Thorin?
3. What treasures are placed on Thorin's body and/or tomb when he is buried?
4. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
5. What gift does Bard the Bowman give to the Elvenking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
2. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
3. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
4. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
5. Why does Smaug laugh when Bilbo tells him that revenge is one of the motives of their quest?
6. What are the five armies involved in the Battle of the Five Armies?
7. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
8. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
9. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
10. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationships between major characters often changes within the plot of a novel. Describe how the relationship between Bilbo and the other dwarves, particularly Thorin, changes throughout this novel. What events cause these changes in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Many locations are described within the world of The Hobbit. Where would you most like to live in this world and why? Are there any disadvantages or downsides of living in the place you have chosen?
Choose from one of the following possible locations:
3. Beorn's house
5. The palace of the Elvenking
Essay Topic 3
Are any stereotypes or cliches used in The Hobbit? If so, what are they? If not, what are some things that make The Hobbit fresh and original?
This section contains 1,595 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)