|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
(a) He is afraid they will drop him over the edge of their eyrie.
(b) He thinks they will give him back to the goblins.
(c) He thinks they plan to eat him.
(d) He hopes that they will give him a meal.
2. What happened outside Beorn's hall on the first night the adventurers stayed there?
(a) Beorn had a great battle against a pack of Wargs.
(b) Beorn and other bears held a meeting and a dance.
(c) Beorn and Gandalf talked all night on top of the Carrock.
(d) Beorn, in bear-shape, tried to kill the adventurers.
3. What does Gollum eat?
(a) Bats and spiders.
(b) Fish and mushrooms.
(c) Ponies and goblins.
(d) Fish and goblins.
4. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
(a) Roasting the dwarves slowly.
(b) Sitting on them and squashing them.
(c) Mincing them and boiling them.
(d) Mincing them and making them into pies.
5. Who is the first to see the lights from the elves' feast?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
2. What was the final fate of the ponies?
3. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
4. What special ability does Beorn have?
5. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
2. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
3. Why does Bilbo decide to pick William the troll's pocket?
4. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
5. What strategy does Bilbo use to try to win the riddle contest (not including his final "What have I got in my pocket?" question)?
6. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
7. Describe in your own words how the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum was played and what the winner of the contest would win.
8. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
9. Describe Elrond, the master or ruler of Rivendell in your own words.
10. Why do the Wood Elves imprison the dwarves?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)