|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Bread and water.
(c) Cold mutton and rabbit.
(d) Cold ham and apples.
2. What game or sport was accidentally invented by Bilbo's ancestor Bullroarer Took?
3. How does Bilbo find food while skulking around in the Elvenking's palace?
(a) He steals it from the stores or the table when nobody is looking.
(b) He slips out through the magic gates and goes hunting.
(c) He scrounges it off the rubbish heaps of the elves.
(d) He takes it out of the barrels sent to Esgaroth.
4. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
(a) Mincing them and making them into pies.
(b) Sitting on them and squashing them.
(c) Mincing them and boiling them.
(d) Roasting the dwarves slowly.
5. What does Gollum eat?
(a) Fish and goblins.
(b) Ponies and goblins.
(c) Fish and mushrooms.
(d) Bats and spiders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapons do the Wood Elves use when they take the dwarves prisoner?
2. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
3. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
4. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
5. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good luck do the adventurers have while they are staying in Rivendell that is likely to prove vital to their quest?
2. Explain in your own words the history behind the the dwarves' quest for the dragon's treasure. Use details from the dwarves' song and Thorin's story in your answer.
3. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
4. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
5. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
6. How do the dwarves and Bilbo manage to escape from the goblins?
7. What are some natural features that serve as defenses for Rivendell, both in the way of putting hazards in the path of potential attackers and for hiding/camouflaging Rivendell?
8. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
9. Why are the wargs (wolves) in the woods that night in Chapter 6?
10. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
This section contains 1,752 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)