|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
(a) In Thror's kingdom that was destroyed by the dragon.
(b) In Rivendell itself.
(c) In the Mines of Moria.
(d) In the ancient elvish kingdom of Gondolin.
2. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
3. What day of the week was it when the adventurers were captured?
(a) Thursday evening (or Thursday morning).
(b) Tuesday night (or Wednesday morning).
(c) Monday night (or Tuesday morning).
(d) Monday morning (or Sunday night).
4. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A jug of beer.
(c) A purse.
(d) A pony.
5. What small creatures does Bilbo find at the top of the oak tree in Chapter 8?
(a) Centipedes and earwigs.
(b) Squirrels and sparrows.
(c) Black butterflies and spiders.
(d) Moths and caterpillars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
2. What reward do the dwarves give to the eagles at the end of the adventures?
3. Which pair of dwarves are the youngest?
4. Why are the dwarves glad to be captured by the elves (at first)?
5. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
2. What accident do the travelers experience in Chapter 6 that turns out to be in their favor?
3. Why does Smaug laugh when Bilbo tells him that revenge is one of the motives of their quest?
4. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
5. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
6. How does Bilbo's attitude differ from that of the dwarves in Chapter 9?
7. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
8. Why does Bombur remain in the lower camp with the ponies and supplies in Chapter 11?
9. Summarize in your own words how the trade between the Wood Elves and the men of Laketown operates.
10. Why does the dwarves' imprisonment turn out to be a lucky accident?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)