|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who made the map that Gandalf gives to Thorin?
(a) The Necromancer.
2. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
(a) The Golden Perch.
(b) The Bridge and Bottle.
(c) The Prancing Pony.
(d) The Green Dragon.
3. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
(b) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
(c) Committing suicide.
(d) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
4. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
(a) In the trolls' cave.
(b) Under a sack.
(c) In a bush.
(d) In a tree trunk.
5. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
(a) He paddles a little boat.
(b) He rides on the back of blind fish.
(c) He swims, as he is an excellent swimmer.
(d) His ring helps him walk across the surface of the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
2. What sort of tree does Gandalf take refuge from the wargs in?
3. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
4. What does Gollum eat?
5. What stops Bilbo from going forward in the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy does Bilbo use to try to win the riddle contest (not including his final "What have I got in my pocket?" question)?
2. How do the trees that the adventurers are hiding in in Chapter 6 manage to catch fire?
3. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
4. What does Bilbo discover about his sword and how does he discover this?
5. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
6. Why are the wargs (wolves) in the woods that night in Chapter 6?
7. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
8. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
9. Describe in your own words how the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum was played and what the winner of the contest would win.
10. What do the adventurers take from the trolls' treasure hoard?
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)