|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
(a) He finds the burnt wolf-glade and also forces a captive warg and goblin to tell him.
(b) The Lord of the Eagles tells him.
(c) He finds the dead body of the Great Goblin.
(d) His bees bring him the news.
2. Who made the map that Gandalf gives to Thorin?
(b) The Necromancer.
3. What type of bird is named in the moon-letters on the map?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A raven.
(c) A thrush.
(d) A sparrow.
4. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
(b) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
(c) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
(d) Committing suicide.
5. What is "never thirsty, ever drinking/All in mail never clinking?"
(a) Gollum's grandmother.
(b) The skeleton of a drowned knight.
(c) A fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
2. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
3. What does Gollum eat?
4. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
5. What happened outside Beorn's hall on the first night the adventurers stayed there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some natural features that serve as defenses for Rivendell, both in the way of putting hazards in the path of potential attackers and for hiding/camouflaging Rivendell?
2. What strategy does Bilbo use to try to win the riddle contest (not including his final "What have I got in my pocket?" question)?
3. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
4. How does Bombur manage to fall into the enchanted stream?
5. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
6. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
7. Why does Bilbo decide to pick William the troll's pocket?
8. Why does Bilbo decide to go with the dwarves and declare himself to be willing to join the adventure?
9. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
10. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)