|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
(a) Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.
(b) Belladonna Took.
(c) Rosemary Took.
(d) Bluebell Belladonna.
2. What is the other name for Rivendell?
(a) The Hidden Valley.
(b) The Edge of the Wild.
(c) The Last Homely House.
(d) The Valley of the Elves.
3. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
(a) Prophecy and pathfinding.
(b) Fire and lights.
(c) Calling down lightning and thunder.
(d) Illusions and turning his enemies to stone.
4. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
5. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
(a) Hail and sleet.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A thunderstorm.
(d) A blizzard.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
2. Who does Bilbo see first after escaping Gollum and the dark tunnels?
3. Which of the following is not a change that the adventurers notice after encountering the hunt and the white deer?
4. How does the forest catch on fire in Chapter 6?
5. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
2. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
3. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
4. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
5. What good luck do the adventurers have while they are staying in Rivendell that is likely to prove vital to their quest?
6. What has Beorn been doing when he is absent from the house?
7. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
8. What do the adventurers take from the trolls' treasure hoard?
9. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
10. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
This section contains 1,554 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)