|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first dwarf to arrive at Bilbo's house in Chapter 1?
2. Why are the dwarves glad to be captured by the elves (at first)?
(a) The elves have been friends with the dwarves for hundreds of years.
(b) They are starving, and the elves will give their prisoners food.
(c) They guess that the elves have taken Thorin prisoner and they want to be reunited with him.
(d) They know that if they promise the elves a share of their treasure, they will be set free.
3. What is the weak point in Bilbo's plan of escape from the elves?
(a) He forgot to leave air-holes so the dwarves could breathe through.
(b) He forgot that he had nobody to pack him inside a barrel.
(c) He forgot that the elves would notice that the barrels were still full.
(d) He forgot that he couldn't swim.
4. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
(a) He thinks they will give him back to the goblins.
(b) He is afraid they will drop him over the edge of their eyrie.
(c) He hopes that they will give him a meal.
(d) He thinks they plan to eat him.
5. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
(a) Gold and emeralds.
(b) Oak leaves and acorns.
(c) Berries and red leaves.
(d) Silver and white gems.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
2. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
3. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
4. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
5. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bilbo decide to go with the dwarves and declare himself to be willing to join the adventure?
2. Describe Elrond, the master or ruler of Rivendell in your own words.
3. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
4. How do the dwarves and Bilbo manage to escape from the goblins?
5. Why do the Wood Elves imprison the dwarves?
6. How does Bilbo react when he sees Gollum between him and the way out and why?
7. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
8. What significant turning point in Bilbo's personal development occurs during the events of Chapter 8, and how does it change Bilbo?
9. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
10. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
This section contains 1,685 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)