|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened outside Beorn's hall on the first night the adventurers stayed there?
(a) Beorn, in bear-shape, tried to kill the adventurers.
(b) Beorn and other bears held a meeting and a dance.
(c) Beorn had a great battle against a pack of Wargs.
(d) Beorn and Gandalf talked all night on top of the Carrock.
2. Which dwarves are the best at lighting fires?
(a) Nori and Ori.
(b) Kili and Fili.
(c) Oin and Gloin.
(d) Bifur and Bofur.
3. What weapons do the Wood Elves use when they take the dwarves prisoner?
(a) Bows and spears.
(b) Swords and daggers.
(c) Whips and clubs.
(d) They freeze the dwarves with their magical powers.
4. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
(a) Truefriend and Goblin-hammer.
(b) Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer.
(c) Warhammer and Dragonslayer.
(d) Tailbiter and Flame of the West.
5. What does Gollum call the ring?
(a) My precious.
(b) My special secret.
(c) My birthday present.
(d) My hiding place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week was it when the adventurers were captured?
2. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
3. What does Gloin say about Bilbo that enrages Bilbo so much that he overcomes his fears and joins the adventurers?
4. What is obviously magical about Gandalf's sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer)?
5. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Elrond, the master or ruler of Rivendell in your own words.
2. Why do the Wood Elves imprison the dwarves?
3. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
4. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
5. How does Bombur manage to fall into the enchanted stream?
6. Explain in your own words the history behind the the dwarves' quest for the dragon's treasure. Use details from the dwarves' song and Thorin's story in your answer.
7. Summarize in your own words how the trade between the Wood Elves and the men of Laketown operates.
8. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
9. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
10. Why are the wargs (wolves) in the woods that night in Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,788 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)