|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
2. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
(a) Under a sack.
(b) In the trolls' cave.
(c) In a bush.
(d) In a tree trunk.
3. What is the name of Gandalf's cousin?
4. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) On the roof of Rivendell.
(b) Under the narrow stone bridge.
(c) Beside the stream.
(d) In trees beside the path.
5. Where were Glamdring and Orcrist originally forged?
(a) In the Mines of Moria.
(b) In Thror's kingdom that was destroyed by the dragon.
(c) In Rivendell itself.
(d) In the ancient elvish kingdom of Gondolin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which dwarf has to come to Beorn's house alone?
2. What does Gollum call the ring?
3. What light are the adventurers using to guide them inside the tunnels in Chapter 4?
4. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
5. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Wood Elves imprison the dwarves?
2. How does Bilbo react when he sees Gollum between him and the way out and why?
3. What do the adventurers take from the trolls' treasure hoard?
4. What is significant about Bombur's (and Bilbo's) dreams while in their enchanted slumbers?
5. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
6. Summarize in your own words how the trade between the Wood Elves and the men of Laketown operates.
7. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
8. What strategy does Bilbo use to try to win the riddle contest (not including his final "What have I got in my pocket?" question)?
9. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
10. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)