|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
(a) Belladonna Took.
(b) Rosemary Took.
(c) Bluebell Belladonna.
(d) Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.
2. What is the weak point in Bilbo's plan of escape from the elves?
(a) He forgot to leave air-holes so the dwarves could breathe through.
(b) He forgot that he had nobody to pack him inside a barrel.
(c) He forgot that the elves would notice that the barrels were still full.
(d) He forgot that he couldn't swim.
3. Why are the dwarves glad to be captured by the elves (at first)?
(a) They know that if they promise the elves a share of their treasure, they will be set free.
(b) The elves have been friends with the dwarves for hundreds of years.
(c) They guess that the elves have taken Thorin prisoner and they want to be reunited with him.
(d) They are starving, and the elves will give their prisoners food.
4. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
(a) Bread and water.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Cold ham and apples.
(d) Cold mutton and rabbit.
5. What was the final fate of the ponies?
(a) They starved to death.
(b) The goblins used them to draw carts in the mines.
(c) They escaped back to Rivendell.
(d) The goblins ate them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beorn react to the dwarves' talk of gold, silver and jewels?
2. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
3. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
4. Where did Gollum live before coming to the underground lake?
5. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
2. What does Bilbo discover about his sword and how does he discover this?
3. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
4. What good luck do the adventurers have while they are staying in Rivendell that is likely to prove vital to their quest?
5. Describe Beorn in your own words.
6. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
7. What significant turning point in Bilbo's personal development occurs during the events of Chapter 8, and how does it change Bilbo?
8. What is significant about Bombur's (and Bilbo's) dreams while in their enchanted slumbers?
9. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
10. What do the adventurers take from the trolls' treasure hoard?
This section contains 1,532 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)