Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the elvenking's butler?
2. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
(b) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
(c) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
(d) Committing suicide.
3. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
(a) The are too busy looking at the dwarves and Gandalf.
(b) They have all been killed by Gandalf's magic.
(c) He is lying quietly in a dark corner.
(d) They see him, but do not bother with him.
4. How does Bilbo find food while skulking around in the Elvenking's palace?
(a) He scrounges it off the rubbish heaps of the elves.
(b) He takes it out of the barrels sent to Esgaroth.
(c) He steals it from the stores or the table when nobody is looking.
(d) He slips out through the magic gates and goes hunting.
5. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
2. What color is Thorin's hood?
3. What special ability does Beorn have?
4. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
5. What first alerts the Lord of the Eagles to the events in the wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
2. Upon what does Bard the Bowman base his claim to a share of the dragon's treasure?
3. What good luck do the adventurers have while they are staying in Rivendell that is likely to prove vital to their quest?
4. What was Gandalf doing after he left Bilbo and the dwarves outside Mirkwood and before he re-joined them just before the Battle of the Five Armies?
5. What dreams or legends do the Lakemen have regarding the King Under the Mountain and Smaug?
6. What accident do the travelers experience in Chapter 6 that turns out to be in their favor?
7. Summarize in your own words how the trade between the Wood Elves and the men of Laketown operates.
8. What details are given in Chapter 11 as hints to an alert reader that the one chance of finding the keyhole is about to present itself?
9. What surprises Bilbo when he returns home to his hobbit-hole?
10. What has Beorn been doing when he is absent from the house?
This section contains 1,470 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)