|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the goblins use to beat time while they sing?
(a) Drums and gongs.
(b) Footsteps and whips.
(c) Hammers and tongs.
(d) Cymbals and tamborines.
2. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
(a) Midsummer morning.
(b) Bilbo's birthday.
(c) The autumn equinox.
(d) Midsummer's Eve.
3. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) Under the narrow stone bridge.
(b) Beside the stream.
(c) On the roof of Rivendell.
(d) In trees beside the path.
4. Why is the magic ring unable to protect the wearer from the wargs?
(a) Wargs can still see the wearer's shadow, even by moonlight.
(b) Wargs are magical, and the ring does not work on them.
(c) Wargs have especially keen hearing.
(d) Wargs can find the wearer by their sense of smell.
5. Why do the goblins not find Bilbo after he is knocked unconscious?
(a) They have all been killed by Gandalf's magic.
(b) They see him, but do not bother with him.
(c) The are too busy looking at the dwarves and Gandalf.
(d) He is lying quietly in a dark corner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
2. What is the name of the inn where the dwarves meet Bilbo in Chapter 2?
3. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
4. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
5. What does Gollum eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Beorn in your own words.
2. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
3. Explain in your own words the history behind the the dwarves' quest for the dragon's treasure. Use details from the dwarves' song and Thorin's story in your answer.
4. How does Bombur manage to fall into the enchanted stream?
5. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
6. What accident do the travelers experience in Chapter 6 that turns out to be in their favor?
7. How do the dwarves and Bilbo manage to escape from the goblins?
8. Why are the wargs (wolves) in the woods that night in Chapter 6?
9. How do the trees that the adventurers are hiding in in Chapter 6 manage to catch fire?
10. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
This section contains 1,920 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)