|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
(a) Under a sack.
(b) In the trolls' cave.
(c) In a bush.
(d) In a tree trunk.
2. Where are the elves hiding when they sing nonsense songs to welcome the adventurers to Rivendell?
(a) Under the narrow stone bridge.
(b) On the roof of Rivendell.
(c) In trees beside the path.
(d) Beside the stream.
3. What is the name of the elvenking's butler?
4. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
(a) It looks poisonous and unhealthy.
(b) It flows too fast to be safe if they stand on the brink and try to fill their waterskins.
(c) They are more interested in getting across it.
(d) Beorn had warned them that the water was enchanted.
5. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
(a) Truefriend and Goblin-hammer.
(b) Tailbiter and Flame of the West.
(c) Warhammer and Dragonslayer.
(d) Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other name for Rivendell?
2. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
3. What is Gandalf's last piece of advice before he leaves the dwarves and Bilbo?
4. What is the weak point in Bilbo's plan of escape from the elves?
5. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
2. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
3. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
4. What significant turning point in Bilbo's personal development occurs during the events of Chapter 8, and how does it change Bilbo?
5. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
6. Describe Elrond, the master or ruler of Rivendell in your own words.
7. Why does Bilbo decide to go with the dwarves and declare himself to be willing to join the adventure?
8. How does Bilbo react when he sees Gollum between him and the way out and why?
9. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
10. Why does Gandalf instruct the dwarves to arrive two by two at five-minute intervals?
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)