|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Gollum live before coming to the underground lake?
(a) On the top of a windy mountain.
(b) With his grandmother in a hole in a bank beside a river.
(c) With the goblins, but he was banished after he ate one of them.
(d) Nowhere - he has always lived on his island.
2. Why don't the adventurers drink from the black stream in the middle of Mirkwood?
(a) It looks poisonous and unhealthy.
(b) They are more interested in getting across it.
(c) Beorn had warned them that the water was enchanted.
(d) It flows too fast to be safe if they stand on the brink and try to fill their waterskins.
3. What does Gollum eat?
(a) Fish and mushrooms.
(b) Ponies and goblins.
(c) Fish and goblins.
(d) Bats and spiders.
4. Who is the first dwarf to arrive at Bilbo's house in Chapter 1?
5. Who is the first to see the lights from the elves' feast?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals do the adventurers see quite frequently in the early stages of their journey through Mirkwood?
2. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
3. What is Beorn doing when Gandalf and Bilbo arrive at his house?
4. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
5. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
2. What does Bilbo discover about his sword and how does he discover this?
3. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
4. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
5. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
6. Why does Gandalf instruct the dwarves to arrive two by two at five-minute intervals?
7. Describe Beorn in your own words.
8. How do the dwarves and Bilbo manage to escape from the goblins?
9. How many ways can Gandalf find of interpreting Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning" and what are the different possible meanings?
10. Summarize in your own words how the trade between the Wood Elves and the men of Laketown operates.
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)