|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What small creatures does Bilbo find at the top of the oak tree in Chapter 8?
(a) Centipedes and earwigs.
(b) Moths and caterpillars.
(c) Black butterflies and spiders.
(d) Squirrels and sparrows.
2. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
(a) His ring helps him walk across the surface of the water.
(b) He paddles a little boat.
(c) He rides on the back of blind fish.
(d) He swims, as he is an excellent swimmer.
3. Why does Bombur fall into the enchanted river?
(a) A deer knocks him in.
(b) The boat starts floating downstream so he jumps into the water.
(c) He is too fat and clumsy to jump out of the boat without stumbling.
(d) Dwalin knocks him in accidentally.
4. What does Bilbo try to steal from the trolls?
(a) A pony.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A jug of beer.
(d) A purse.
5. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
(a) Their singing.
(b) Their love of gold.
(c) Their long beards.
(d) Their cruelty and wickedness towards dragons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
2. What does Bilbo see at nightfall as they travel towards Mirkwood?
3. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
4. What sort of tree does Gandalf take refuge from the wargs in?
5. What type of bird is named in the moon-letters on the map?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
2. How is Bilbo able to take and hide the Arkenstone without the dwarves knowing?
3. What advice does Roac the raven give to Thorin in this Chapters 15 & 16?
4. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
5. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
6. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
7. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
8. Describe in your own words how the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum was played and what the winner of the contest would win.
9. Why does Bilbo decide to go with the dwarves and declare himself to be willing to join the adventure?
10. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)