|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not a name for the trolls?
2. What is the answer to Bilbo's first riddle?
(a) A mountain.
(b) The wind.
(d) White horses.
3. What is the weak point in Bilbo's plan of escape from the elves?
(a) He forgot that he couldn't swim.
(b) He forgot that he had nobody to pack him inside a barrel.
(c) He forgot to leave air-holes so the dwarves could breathe through.
(d) He forgot that the elves would notice that the barrels were still full.
4. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
(a) His bees bring him the news.
(b) He finds the burnt wolf-glade and also forces a captive warg and goblin to tell him.
(c) He finds the dead body of the Great Goblin.
(d) The Lord of the Eagles tells him.
5. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Cold mutton and rabbit.
(c) Bread and water.
(d) Cold ham and apples.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elrond dislike about dwarves?
2. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
3. What animals do the adventurers see quite frequently in the early stages of their journey through Mirkwood?
4. What does Bilbo think the eagles will do to him at first?
5. What does Bilbo not tell the dwarves about his adventures inside the tunnels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
2. Why do the Wood Elves imprison the dwarves?
3. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
4. Why does Bilbo arrive at the Green Dragon without a hat, walking stick or handkerchief, or anything else for the journey?
5. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
6. Explain in your own words the history behind the the dwarves' quest for the dragon's treasure. Use details from the dwarves' song and Thorin's story in your answer.
7. What good luck do the adventurers have while they are staying in Rivendell that is likely to prove vital to their quest?
8. Why does Gandalf instruct the dwarves to arrive two by two at five-minute intervals?
9. Why are the wargs (wolves) in the woods that night in Chapter 6?
10. What significant turning point in Bilbo's personal development occurs during the events of Chapter 8, and how does it change Bilbo?
This section contains 1,786 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)