|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
(a) Mincing them and making them into pies.
(b) Sitting on them and squashing them.
(c) Mincing them and boiling them.
(d) Roasting the dwarves slowly.
2. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
(b) He throws stones at them.
(c) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
(d) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
3. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
(b) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
(c) Committing suicide.
(d) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
4. What is Gandalf's last piece of advice before he leaves the dwarves and Bilbo?
(a) Don't go near the Necromancer's tower.
(b) Keep going straight ahead, no matter what happens.
(c) Don't leave the path.
(d) You must either go through or give up the quest.
5. What light are the adventurers using to guide them inside the tunnels in Chapter 4?
(a) A torch dropped by a goblin when Thorin killed one.
(b) A strange green glow given off by Gandalf's smoke rings.
(c) The magical glow on Gandalf's staff.
(d) The magical light given off by Orcrist and Glamdring when goblins are nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
2. What wakes Bilbo up from his sleep after he realizes he is alone in Chapter 8, after coming across the elves' feast?
3. What special ability does Beorn have?
4. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
5. What phase of the moon is showing when Elrond studies the map?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some natural features that serve as defenses for Rivendell, both in the way of putting hazards in the path of potential attackers and for hiding/camouflaging Rivendell?
2. What accident do the travelers experience in Chapter 6 that turns out to be in their favor?
3. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
4. Describe Beorn in your own words.
5. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
6. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
7. How do the trees that the adventurers are hiding in in Chapter 6 manage to catch fire?
8. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
9. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
10. What does Bilbo discover about his sword and how does he discover this?
This section contains 1,613 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)