|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the forest catch on fire in Chapter 6?
(a) The wargs spread it accidentally after Gandalf sets their coats alight.
(b) Gandalf lights the fire to attract the attention of the eagles.
(c) The goblins light it deliberately to kill the adventurers.
(d) A dead tree is hit by summer lightning.
2. Which dwarves are the best at lighting fires?
(a) Kili and Fili.
(b) Oin and Gloin.
(c) Bifur and Bofur.
(d) Nori and Ori.
3. What does Bilbo's handwriting look like?
(a) Crabbed and rather clumsy.
(b) Flowing and beautiful.
(c) Thin and spidery.
(d) Cunning and cryptic.
4. What colors of flame does Gandalf use to drive the wolves back with?
(a) Blue, white and purple.
(b) Green, black and white.
(c) Red, yellow and orange.
(d) Blue, red and green.
5. Which of the following does not happen when one of the adventurers steps into the ring of lights surrounding the elves' feast?
(a) The adventurers become confused and disoriented.
(b) The lights magically go out.
(c) The elves begin singing an eerie tune.
(d) The fire erupts in a shower of sparks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
2. Which dwarf has to come to Beorn's house alone?
3. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
4. Which of the following is not a hazard that needs to be avoided in the path leading to Rivendell?
5. What wakes Bilbo up from his sleep after he realizes he is alone in Chapter 8, after coming across the elves' feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bilbo discover about his sword and how does he discover this?
2. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
3. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
4. How many ways can Gandalf find of interpreting Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning" and what are the different possible meanings?
5. What do the adventurers take from the trolls' treasure hoard?
6. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
7. Describe Elrond, the master or ruler of Rivendell in your own words.
8. Describe Beorn in your own words.
9. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
10. Why does Bilbo decide to pick William the troll's pocket?
This section contains 1,549 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)