|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of bird is named in the moon-letters on the map?
(a) A thrush.
(b) A raven.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A sparrow.
2. What weapons do the Wood Elves use when they take the dwarves prisoner?
(a) Swords and daggers.
(b) Bows and spears.
(c) Whips and clubs.
(d) They freeze the dwarves with their magical powers.
3. What light are the adventurers using to guide them inside the tunnels in Chapter 4?
(a) The magical glow on Gandalf's staff.
(b) The magical light given off by Orcrist and Glamdring when goblins are nearby.
(c) A torch dropped by a goblin when Thorin killed one.
(d) A strange green glow given off by Gandalf's smoke rings.
4. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The Elf King.
(b) The king's butler.
(c) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
(d) The other guards.
5. Where did Gollum live before coming to the underground lake?
(a) With his grandmother in a hole in a bank beside a river.
(b) On the top of a windy mountain.
(c) Nowhere - he has always lived on his island.
(d) With the goblins, but he was banished after he ate one of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not a hazard that needs to be avoided in the path leading to Rivendell?
2. Why does Bombur fall into the enchanted river?
3. How does Bilbo find food while skulking around in the Elvenking's palace?
4. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
5. Who is the first to see the lights from the elves' feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Master of Laketown is like in your own words.
2. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
3. How does Bilbo react when he sees Gollum between him and the way out and why?
4. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
5. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
6. What reconciles the forces of the men and elves, and the dwarves in Chapter 17?
7. Explain the meaning of the ambiguous or riddling answers Bilbo gives to Smaug to avoid revealing his name to the dragon (and thus giving the dragon power over him)?
8. What can be deduced about the dragon from the steam and smoke coming out from the Front Gate?
9. Why do the goblins take the adventurers prisoner, and what fate do the goblins intend for them?
10. Why does Bilbo give the Arkenstone to Bard the Bowman?
This section contains 1,853 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)