|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first dwarf to arrive at Bilbo's house in Chapter 1?
2. How does Bilbo find food while skulking around in the Elvenking's palace?
(a) He steals it from the stores or the table when nobody is looking.
(b) He slips out through the magic gates and goes hunting.
(c) He scrounges it off the rubbish heaps of the elves.
(d) He takes it out of the barrels sent to Esgaroth.
3. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
(a) Bread and water.
(b) Cold ham and apples.
(c) Cold mutton and rabbit.
(d) Bacon and eggs.
4. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
(a) Truefriend and Goblin-hammer.
(b) Tailbiter and Flame of the West.
(c) Warhammer and Dragonslayer.
(d) Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer.
5. Where did Gollum live before coming to the underground lake?
(a) With the goblins, but he was banished after he ate one of them.
(b) With his grandmother in a hole in a bank beside a river.
(c) On the top of a windy mountain.
(d) Nowhere - he has always lived on his island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the Dwarves' New Year?
2. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
3. Which of the following does not happen when one of the adventurers steps into the ring of lights surrounding the elves' feast?
4. Which pair of dwarves are the youngest?
5. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
2. Why does Bilbo decide to pick William the troll's pocket?
3. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
4. Describe in your own words how the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum was played and what the winner of the contest would win.
5. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
6. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
7. What strategy does Bilbo use to try to win the riddle contest (not including his final "What have I got in my pocket?" question)?
8. How does Bombur manage to fall into the enchanted stream?
9. What accident do the travelers experience in Chapter 6 that turns out to be in their favor?
10. Why does Gandalf instruct the dwarves to arrive two by two at five-minute intervals?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)