|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The other guards.
(b) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
(c) The Elf King.
(d) The king's butler.
2. Why can't the dwarves hear the goblins coming?
(a) The echoes inside the caves are too confusing.
(b) The goblins have made themselves invisible.
(c) The dwarves are talking too loudly.
(d) The goblins are wearing soft shoes.
3. What cooking method do the trolls decide on first of all before Gandalf stirs up the argument again?
(a) Mincing them and making them into pies.
(b) Roasting the dwarves slowly.
(c) Mincing them and boiling them.
(d) Sitting on them and squashing them.
4. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
5. What is "never thirsty, ever drinking/All in mail never clinking?"
(b) Gollum's grandmother.
(c) A fish.
(d) The skeleton of a drowned knight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first dwarf to arrive at Bilbo's house in Chapter 1?
2. What game or sport was accidentally invented by Bilbo's ancestor Bullroarer Took?
3. What is unusual or rare about Elrond's ancestry?
4. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
5. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the wargs (wolves) in the woods that night in Chapter 6?
2. How do the trees that the adventurers are hiding in in Chapter 6 manage to catch fire?
3. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
4. Describe Elrond, the master or ruler of Rivendell in your own words.
5. What does Bilbo discover about his sword and how does he discover this?
6. Why does Bilbo arrive at the Green Dragon without a hat, walking stick or handkerchief, or anything else for the journey?
7. What is special about the swords that Gandalf and Thorin took from the trolls' hoard of plunder?
8. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
9. How many ways can Gandalf find of interpreting Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning" and what are the different possible meanings?
10. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)