|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of bird is named in the moon-letters on the map?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A raven.
(c) A sparrow.
(d) A thrush.
2. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
(a) In a bush.
(b) Under a sack.
(c) In a tree trunk.
(d) In the trolls' cave.
3. Who is the first to see the lights from the elves' feast?
4. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
5. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who found the cave in Chapter 4?
2. What is the other name for Rivendell?
3. What colors of flame does Gandalf use to drive the wolves back with?
4. Whose hood and cloak does Bilbo borrow?
5. What was the name of the town of Men that was under the shadow of the Lonely Mountain until the dragon came and destroyed it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bilbo discover about his sword and how does he discover this?
2. What was Gandalf doing after he left Bilbo and the dwarves outside Mirkwood and before he re-joined them just before the Battle of the Five Armies?
3. What surprises Bilbo when he returns home to his hobbit-hole?
4. What is the cause of most of the casualties resulting from Smaug's attack on Esgaroth (Laketown)?
5. Why does Thorin refuse to share the treasure with Bard and his allies and treat them with hostility?
6. What is significant about Bombur's (and Bilbo's) dreams while in their enchanted slumbers?
7. How is the treasure divided after the battle is won in Chapter 17?
8. Why does Bombur remain in the lower camp with the ponies and supplies in Chapter 11?
9. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
10. Why do the Wood Elves imprison the dwarves?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)