|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the other name for Rivendell?
(a) The Last Homely House.
(b) The Edge of the Wild.
(c) The Valley of the Elves.
(d) The Hidden Valley.
2. Where does Bilbo hide while the trolls are fighting and arguing?
(a) Under a sack.
(b) In a bush.
(c) In the trolls' cave.
(d) In a tree trunk.
3. How does Beorn find out that Gandalf's story is true?
(a) His bees bring him the news.
(b) He finds the dead body of the Great Goblin.
(c) The Lord of the Eagles tells him.
(d) He finds the burnt wolf-glade and also forces a captive warg and goblin to tell him.
4. Which of the following is not a name for the trolls?
5. What was the name of Bilbo's mother?
(a) Lobelia Sackville-Baggins.
(b) Rosemary Took.
(c) Bluebell Belladonna.
(d) Belladonna Took.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special ability does Beorn have?
2. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
3. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
4. Where did Gollum live before coming to the underground lake?
5. Which dwarf has a smoke-ring blowing competition or game with Gandalf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain in your own words the history behind the the dwarves' quest for the dragon's treasure. Use details from the dwarves' song and Thorin's story in your answer.
2. Why does Bilbo arrive at the Green Dragon without a hat, walking stick or handkerchief, or anything else for the journey?
3. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
4. How do the Wood Elves differ from the goblins in regards to their treatment of prisoners?
5. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
6. Why do the Wood Elves imprison the dwarves?
7. How many ways can Gandalf find of interpreting Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning" and what are the different possible meanings?
8. How does Bombur manage to fall into the enchanted stream?
9. How does Bilbo react when he sees Gollum between him and the way out and why?
10. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
This section contains 1,802 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)