|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phase of the moon is showing when Elrond studies the map?
(a) A crescent moon.
(b) A new moon.
(c) A full moon.
(d) A gibbous moon.
2. What does Bilbo learn about his sword in Chapter 5?
(a) It is an elvish blade like Glamdring and Orcrist.
(b) It helps him see in the dark.
(c) He can use it like a match to make fire.
(d) It acts as a compass so he does not lose his sense of direction.
3. How does the forest catch on fire in Chapter 6?
(a) A dead tree is hit by summer lightning.
(b) The wargs spread it accidentally after Gandalf sets their coats alight.
(c) The goblins light it deliberately to kill the adventurers.
(d) Gandalf lights the fire to attract the attention of the eagles.
4. What was the name of the town of Men that was under the shadow of the Lonely Mountain until the dragon came and destroyed it?
5. What question of Balin's enraged the Elvenking?
(a) Balin asks if the elves know anything about Smaug's treasure.
(b) Balin asks if the spiders are the elves' pets.
(c) Balin asks the Elvenking for food and drink before being set free.
(d) Balin asks what has happened to Thorin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bilbo eat for breakfast when he wakes up in the eagles' eyrie?
2. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
3. What is the name of Gandalf's cousin?
4. What game or sport was accidentally invented by Bilbo's ancestor Bullroarer Took?
5. What first alerts the Lord of the Eagles to the events in the wood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
2. What has Beorn been doing when he is absent from the house?
3. In Chapter 9, Bilbo becomes a successful burglar for the first time. Name some of the things he steals, how he does so, and what obstacles he has to overcome.
4. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
5. Retell the events of Chapter 6 in your own words from the point of view of the Lord of the Eagles.
6. Summarize in your own words how the trade between the Wood Elves and the men of Laketown operates.
7. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
8. Describe in your own words how the riddle contest between Bilbo and Gollum was played and what the winner of the contest would win.
9. What significant turning point in Bilbo's personal development occurs during the events of Chapter 8, and how does it change Bilbo?
10. How do the trees that the adventurers are hiding in in Chapter 6 manage to catch fire?
This section contains 1,773 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)