|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does not happen when one of the adventurers steps into the ring of lights surrounding the elves' feast?
(a) The lights magically go out.
(b) The adventurers become confused and disoriented.
(c) The elves begin singing an eerie tune.
(d) The fire erupts in a shower of sparks.
2. What weapons do the Wood Elves use when they take the dwarves prisoner?
(a) Bows and spears.
(b) Whips and clubs.
(c) They freeze the dwarves with their magical powers.
(d) Swords and daggers.
3. Which of the following is not a name for the trolls?
4. What does Gollum eat?
(a) Fish and mushrooms.
(b) Bats and spiders.
(c) Ponies and goblins.
(d) Fish and goblins.
5. How does Bilbo kill the spiders who have captured the dwarves in their webs?
(a) He stabs them stealthily with Sting.
(b) He throws stones at them.
(c) He uses strands of their own webs to make nooses and strangles them.
(d) He enrages them so much that they fall out of their trees to their deaths.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is supposed to ride in the boat with Bombur?
2. What colors of flame does Gandalf use to drive the wolves back with?
3. What sort of drink does Gandalf ask Bilbo to get him in Chapter 1?
4. How does the forest catch on fire in Chapter 6?
5. Which dwarves are the best at lighting fires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Bombur's (and Bilbo's) dreams while in their enchanted slumbers?
2. What strategy does Bilbo use to try to win the riddle contest (not including his final "What have I got in my pocket?" question)?
3. Why does Bilbo decide to go with the dwarves and declare himself to be willing to join the adventure?
4. What do we learn about the goblins and their intentions from the song they sing while dragging the dwarves and Bilbo down to the Great Goblin?
5. What accident do the travelers experience in Chapter 6 that turns out to be in their favor?
6. Why do the adventurers take shelter in the cave in Chapter 4?
7. How does Bilbo react when he sees Gollum between him and the way out and why?
8. Why does Bilbo arrive at the Green Dragon without a hat, walking stick or handkerchief, or anything else for the journey?
9. What advice do Beorn and Gandalf give to Bilbo and the dwarves about the journey through Mirkwood?
10. Why does Bilbo believe that there is no end to the forest after he climbs up the tall oak to have a look around?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)