Short Essay Questions Key
1. How many ways can Gandalf find of interpreting Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning" and what are the different possible meanings?
2. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Bilbo decide to go with the dwarves and declare himself to be willing to join the adventure?
4. Explain in your own words the history behind the the dwarves' quest for the dragon's treasure. Use details from the dwarves' song and Thorin's story in your answer.
5. Why does Bilbo arrive at the Green Dragon without a hat, walking stick or handkerchief, or anything else for the journey?
6. Why does Bilbo decide to pick William the troll's pocket?
7. How does Gandalf manage to save the dwarves from being eaten by the trolls?
8. What do the adventurers take from the trolls' treasure hoard?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)