Short Essay Answer Key
1. How many ways can Gandalf find of interpreting Bilbo's use of the phrase "Good Morning" and what are the different possible meanings?
According to Gandalf, "Good Morning" can mean one of five things:
1. Bilbo wishes that Gandalf will have a good morning.
2. The morning is a good one, whether Gandalf wants it to be so or not.
3. Biblo is feeling good that morning.
4. The morning is one to be good on.
5. The morning will be good once Gandalf has gone away and left Bilbo alone.
2. What does Gandalf leave on Bilbo's door after Bilbo invites him to tea in Chapter 1?
Gandalf scratches a secret mark on Bilbo's door with the point of his staff. The mark is a message to the dwarves that means "Burglar (or Expert Treasure-hunter) wants a good job,...
This section contains 7,316 words|
(approx. 25 pages at 300 words per page)