|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
2. What nearly gives Bilbo's presence away to the men steering the barrels in spite of the invisibility conferred on him by the ring?
(a) His weight presses the barrels lower in the water.
(b) He bumps into the men quite frequently.
(c) His wet footprints and his sneezing.
(d) His shadow in the torchlight.
3. In Chapter 9, with whom does the chief guard get drunk?
(a) The Elf King.
(b) The king's butler.
(c) The men who guided the barrels up the river.
(d) The other guards.
4. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(b) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
(c) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
(d) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
5. What is mostly transported by river inside the barrels from the people of Laketown to the Wood Elves?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals do the adventurers see quite frequently in the early stages of their journey through Mirkwood?
2. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
3. Why does Smaug react with such great fury in Chapter 12?
4. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
5. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)