|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops Bilbo from going forward in the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
(a) Gollum catches him.
(b) He blunders into a dead end.
(c) He comes to the edge of a subterranean lake.
(d) He hears goblins going fishing.
2. Who is carrying Bilbo when the goblins find them for the second time?
3. What unexpected news does Bilbo give the elves and Lakemen?
(a) Dain from the Iron Hills is coming to Thorin's aid.
(b) The goblins are on their way to take the treasure.
(c) Smaug had a mate who is still alive inside the mountain.
(d) Thorin is weakening and is prepared to share.
4. How does Bilbo manage to recognize Thorin after freeing him from the barrel?
(a) By his blue hood with the silver tassel and by his golden chain.
(b) By his red cloak, black boots and dark green tunic
(c) By his long nose and bristling beard.
(d) By a distinctive scar left from his encounter with Smaug in the distant past.
5. What did Smaug meet in his nightmare before he wakes up?
(a) An army of archers.
(b) A brave warrior with a sword.
(c) Thieves stealing from his hoard.
(d) A bigger, stronger dragon wanting to steal his hoard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
2. How does the Elvenking react to the sight of the Arkenstone?
3. What animals does Bilbo sense as he wanders through the dark tunnels in Chapter 5?
4. What sort of elves have taken Thorin prisoner?
5. Why do most of the arrows shot at Smaug have no effect on him?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)