|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the dwarves suggest that Bilbo should do when they begin to despair of being able to open the secret door in Chapter 11?
(a) Talk to the thrushes and see if they know the secret of opening the door.
(b) Try to capture one of the thrushes, crows or ravens and use its feathers as a disguise to sneak into the mountain through the Front Gate.
(c) Go into the mountain through the Front Gate using his magic ring.
(d) Go back to Laketown and ask for more supplies and weapons.
2. After they have defeated the spiders, who do the adventurers discover is missing?
3. What is the Elf King's crown made of during autumn (fall)?
(a) Gold and emeralds.
(b) Berries and red leaves.
(c) Oak leaves and acorns.
(d) Silver and white gems.
4. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
(a) A coat of silver mail, a helmet encrusted with diamonds and an ivory bow.
(b) A coat of gold-plated rings, an axe with a silver haft and a belt encrusted with scarlet stones.
(c) Silver armour, a belt set with rubies and a black mace set with diamonds.
(d) Spears with the heads inlaid with gold, an emerald-studded shield and a crown.
5. Which of the following does Bard not use as a reason why the dwarves should share the treasure with the people of Laketown?
(a) The people of Laketown helped the dwarves when the dwarves were in need, but are now in need themselves.
(b) Bard was the one who actually killed the dragon.
(c) The dragon had a lot of treasure, so there is plenty for all to share.
(d) Some of the treasure came from Dale and belonged to Bard's ancestors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
2. What is the other name for Rivendell?
3. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
4. How do the dwarves manage to obtain three ponies in Chapter 15?
5. What animals do the adventurers see quite frequently in the early stages of their journey through Mirkwood?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)