|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) Five feet high.
(b) Three feet high.
(c) We are not told.
(d) Six feet high.
2. What type of bird brings Bilbo and the dwarves the news of the dragon's death?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A thrush.
(c) A raven.
(d) A crow.
3. What does Thorin take as armor and weapons from the hoard of Smaug's treasure?
(a) Silver armour, a belt set with rubies and a black mace set with diamonds.
(b) Spears with the heads inlaid with gold, an emerald-studded shield and a crown.
(c) A coat of silver mail, a helmet encrusted with diamonds and an ivory bow.
(d) A coat of gold-plated rings, an axe with a silver haft and a belt encrusted with scarlet stones.
4. What is "never thirsty, ever drinking/All in mail never clinking?"
(a) A fish.
(c) The skeleton of a drowned knight.
(d) Gollum's grandmother.
5. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
(a) Tailbiter and Flame of the West.
(b) Warhammer and Dragonslayer.
(c) Truefriend and Goblin-hammer.
(d) Goblin-cleaver and Foe-hammer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first landmark feature that Bilbo notices as the barrel he is riding takes him out of the forest?
2. Which dwarf puts up the most fight when the trolls try to capture him?
3. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
4. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
5. Which of the following is not a change that the adventurers notice after encountering the hunt and the white deer?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)