|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bombur choose to stay below and guard the ponies in Chapter 11?
(a) He lost a bet and had to go on guard duty as a result.
(b) He does not believe that Bilbo and the others have really found the secret door.
(c) He is very fond of the ponies and doesn't want to leave them behind.
(d) He thinks he is too fat for the ropes and that he will get dizzy or trip on the path.
2. How high is the doorway that leads into the secret tunnel in Chapter 11?
(a) Three feet high.
(b) Five feet high.
(c) Six feet high.
(d) We are not told.
3. What wakes Bilbo up from his sleep after he realizes he is alone in Chapter 8, after coming across the elves' feast?
(a) The shouts and cries of the dwarves.
(b) A high-pitched buzzing noise made by a fly attempting to escape from the spiders.
(c) The hunting horn of the elf king.
(d) A spider, which is trying to wrap him up in sticky thread.
4. What is Thorin considering doing when he learns that the other dwarves are also in prison with him?
(a) Swearing to become a slave of the elves for the rest of his life.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Telling the Elvenking about the quest and the treasure.
(d) Promising the Elvenking a share of the treasure.
5. What does Bilbo manage to steal from Smaug in Chapter 12?
(a) A sharp sword.
(b) A pocketful of gold coins.
(c) A golden cup.
(d) A necklace of rubies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following methods do the dwarves not use in an attempt to open the secret door before the keyhole is revealed?
2. What does Thorin use as a weapon against the trolls in Chapter 2?
3. Which of the following devices do the goblins not make (or have made for them)?
4. What type of enchantments is Gandalf especially good at?
5. Who does Bilbo meet unexpectedly in the camp of the elves and Lakemen?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)