|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gollum get from his island to the shore of the lake?
(a) His ring helps him walk across the surface of the water.
(b) He paddles a little boat.
(c) He rides on the back of blind fish.
(d) He swims, as he is an excellent swimmer.
2. What first alerts the Lord of the Eagles to the events in the wood?
(a) A magical message from Gandalf.
(b) The flames in the forest.
(c) The line of goblin soldiers marching towards the forest.
(d) The howling of the wolves.
3. On what day does Elrond read the runes on the swords and on the map?
(a) The autumn equinox.
(b) Bilbo's birthday.
(c) Midsummer morning.
(d) Midsummer's Eve.
4. What does Thorin use as a weapon against the trolls in Chapter 2?
(a) A burning branch from the fire.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A branch torn off a tree.
(d) A cauldron of boiling water.
5. What is the answer to Bilbo's first riddle?
(a) The wind.
(b) White horses.
(c) A mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gollum call the ring?
2. Who carries Bilbo at first as they try to escape from the mines after Gandalf kills the Great Goblin?
3. What weather forces the adventurers to seek shelter in a cave in Chapter 4?
4. What is the English translation for the names of the swords (Orcrist and Glamdring) that Thorin and Gandalf now own?
5. What is the goblin name for Thorin's sword?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)