Lesson 1 (from Chapter 1)
The objective of Daily Lesson #1 are:
• To explore the nature of the typical setting in a fantasy novel and the particular world within this novel.
• To make predictions about the events in the plot.
• To create a fantasy creature as a creative writing exercise.
1. Group Activity: In small groups, students discuss and brainstorm the sorts of things that you would expect to find in a fantasy story. Consider typical plots and actions, settings, abilities, typical characters (e.g. wizards), fantasy races, etc.
2. Class Activity: Particularly important fantasy creatures in The Hobbit include dragons, elves, dwarves and goblins. Draw an outline of each type of creature on a large sheet of paper. Students work from "station" (sheet of paper) to "station" and write down what they "know" about each race on the inside of each outline. At the end of the exercise, investigate and discuss the...
This section contains 9,043 words
(approx. 31 pages at 300 words per page)