|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hitchcock say he needed his surroundings to be?
2. What did Hitchcock say about the frequency of his dreaming?
3. What was the plot of "I Confess"?
4. Who wrote the screenplay for "Notorious"?
5. Who was the quiet man who approached Hitchcock during the filming of "Notorious"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What intrigued Hitchcock about making films?
2. What did Hitchcock and writer Ben Hecht spend a lot of time choosing for the film "Notorious"?
3. What was wrong with the last five reels of the film "Rope", which caused Hitchcock to re-shoot them?
4. What did Truffaut say would have improved the opening scene of "Psycho"?
5. What did Truffaut cite as an example of absurdity in Hitchcock's films?
6. What did Hitchcock's meeting with a farmer during the filming of "The Birds" inspire?
7. Why did the investigators in Hitchcock's "Rear Window" search for the murder victim's head?
8. Why did Hitchcock avoid politics in his films?
9. How did Hitchcock approach filming romantic scenes?
10. What inspired the Norman Bates storyline in "Psycho"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hitchcock's audience. What are some examples of how Hitchcock kept the audience in mind while filming? What are some examples of how the audience reacted to different Hitchcock films?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hitchcock's career during the 1940's. What are some of the notable films which Hitchcock worked on during this time? What technical innovations or career advancements did Hitchcock achieve during this time period? What comments did Truffaut and Hitchcock make about the films of this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the technical innovations made by Hitchcock throughout his career. What movies include these innovations? Discuss Hitchcock's interest in the technical side of film making rather than the artistic side.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)