|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was "The Wrong Man" based on?
2. What technical innovation was used for the first time on "Rope"?
3. Why was Hitchcock attracted to filming "Rear Window"?
4. How did Hitchcock feel about casting departments when it came time to cast for his films?
5. Hitchcock stated that the storyline for Norman was inspired by a man in which American state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hitchcock refuse to have his former boss at Famous Players-Lasky work for him on "Notorious"?
2. What did Truffaut cite as an example of absurdity in Hitchcock's films?
3. What popular story did Hitchcock refute about Peter Lorre?
4. What was wrong with the last five reels of the film "Rope", which caused Hitchcock to re-shoot them?
5. What did Hitchcock's memorization of scripts stop him from doing?
6. What was the downside of involving psychoanalysis in the script for "Spellbound"?
7. Why was Hitchcock attracted to filming "Rear Window"?
8. For which film did Hitchcock break his rule of not improvising, and what was the effect?
9. Of "Rear Window", what is said to change the connotations of the film?
10. What did Hitchcock and writer Ben Hecht spend a lot of time choosing for the film "Notorious"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes found in Hitchcock's films. What are some recurring themes? What movies have examples of these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hitchcock's audience. What are some examples of how Hitchcock kept the audience in mind while filming? What are some examples of how the audience reacted to different Hitchcock films?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hitchcock's career in the 1950's. What are some notable films that he made during this time period? What technical innovations or career advancements did Hitchcock achieve during this time period? What did Hitchcock share in regards to the filming of such films as "Rear Window" and "Vertigo"?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)