|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was common to the actors sent by casting when Hitchcock was searching for someone to play an ambassador?
2. Who starred in "Rear Window"?
3. Which studio bought the rights and reissued "Rope"?
4. During the filming of "Notorious", what was a minor crew member sent to scout in Beverly Hills?
5. In what year did Hitchcock film "Spellbound"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under which circumstance did Hitchcock say he would not have filmed "The Birds"?
2. Of "Rear Window", what is said to change the connotations of the film?
3. How was the opening scene of "Psycho" designed with the audience in mind?
4. What did Truffaut cite as an example of absurdity in Hitchcock's films?
5. Why did Hitchcock avoid politics in his films?
6. Why did the investigators in Hitchcock's "Rear Window" search for the murder victim's head?
7. What did Hitchcock believe the audience failed to understand about "I Confess"?
8. How did Hitchcock explain filming in color as being potentially problematic?
9. What did Truffaut reveal that the book "Vertigo" was based on?
10. What was wrong with the last five reels of the film "Rope", which caused Hitchcock to re-shoot them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes found in Hitchcock's films. What are some recurring themes? What movies have examples of these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the book. What is the genre of the book? What are the elements of this genre? Why might Truffaut and Scott have decided to go with this format?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hitchcock's career during the 1940's. What are some of the notable films which Hitchcock worked on during this time? What technical innovations or career advancements did Hitchcock achieve during this time period? What comments did Truffaut and Hitchcock make about the films of this time period?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)