|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with "Shadow of a Doubt", what other film did Truffaut name as having inept police characters in the story?
2. What did Hitchcock assert that not every film needs?
3. What did Hitchcock have a little boy carry in his film, "The Woman Alone"?
4. Why did Hitchcock say he agreed to make "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"?
5. Who starred in Hitchcock's "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hitchcock go to America in 1937?
2. What did Hitchcock explain would happen if a film's plot was too complex?
3. What did Hitchcock try to do on the set of "Number Seventeen" which ended in disaster?
4. What did Hitchcock believe was his first step into the world of film?
5. What was Hitchcock's response when Truffaut asked whether he was intimidated by filming in America?
6. In the 1920s, why would scripts often have to be changed, and how did Hitchcock feel about this?
7. According to Hitchcock, what was special about his film "The Ring"?
8. What schools did Hitchcock attend in his youth?
9. What did Hitchcock learn from his film, "The Woman Alone"?
10. What was the advantage to Hitchcock focusing more on scenario than plausibility in his films?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the silent film era. What defined this era in film making? What projects was Hitchcock involved in during this time period? How did the silent film era differ from later movie making?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the book. What is the genre of the book? What are the elements of this genre? Why might Truffaut and Scott have decided to go with this format?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hitchcock's career in the 1950's. What are some notable films that he made during this time period? What technical innovations or career advancements did Hitchcock achieve during this time period? What did Hitchcock share in regards to the filming of such films as "Rear Window" and "Vertigo"?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)