|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what span of time did the interview between Truffaut and Hitchcock take place?
2. While working at Paramount Famous Players-Lasky, when would Hitchcock occasionally be given a chance to step behind the camera?
3. What did Truffaut suggest the portrayal of police in Hitchcock's films, such as"Shadow of a Doubt" was influenced by?
4. What happens at the end of "The Secret Agent"?
5. How did Hitchcock shoot "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the 1920s, why would scripts often have to be changed, and how did Hitchcock feel about this?
2. What old trick used by cameramen to hide the aging looks of actresses did Hitchcock explain?
3. What did Hitchcock say about movie endings?
4. What did Hitchcock explain was important to balance in making a film?
5. What schools did Hitchcock attend in his youth?
6. At the film studio, Hitchcock produced caption cards for films. What was the purpose of caption cards?
7. What incident did Hitchcock recall as a young child, which inspired his life-long fear of police?
8. Why was the script for "The Man Who Knew Too Much" altered before filming?
9. What did Hitchcock explain would happen if a film's plot was too complex?
10. What did Hitchcock and Truffaut discuss about movie critics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes found in Hitchcock's films. What are some recurring themes? What movies have examples of these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the silent film era. What defined this era in film making? What projects was Hitchcock involved in during this time period? How did the silent film era differ from later movie making?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the famous figures who are mentioned during the interview. Who are they and how are they connected to Hitchcock?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)