|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hitchcock's father take him to the police station?
2. What is the Shuftan Process?
3. While traveling in Germany, what was Hitchcock's crew instructed to smuggle onto a train?
4. Who did Hitchcock say was the actual recipient of the Oscar?
5. Who did Hitchcock meet that influenced his interest in writing scripts?
Short Essay Questions
1. After working in the title department at Paramount Famous Players-Lasky, what skill did Hitchcock begin to practice?
2. How did it come about that Hitchcock made appearances in each of his films?
3. What incident did Hitchcock recall as a young child, which inspired his life-long fear of police?
4. What is the Shuftan Process?
5. What did Hitchcock try to do on the set of "Number Seventeen" which ended in disaster?
6. In a short story, how did Hitchcock himself explain the term "MacGuffin"?
7. Explain one of Hitchcock's filming innovations with cameras.
8. What did Hitchcock explain would happen if a film's plot was too complex?
9. What was the ending of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" based on?
10. From where does the term "MacGuffin" originate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes found in Hitchcock's films. What are some recurring themes? What movies have examples of these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Hitchcock's career in the 1960's. Discuss Hitchcock's most significant works of this time period, for instance, 'The Birds' and 'Psycho'. Why are these films significant? What new techniques did Hitchcock introduce at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the silent film era. What defined this era in film making? What projects was Hitchcock involved in during this time period? How did the silent film era differ from later movie making?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)