|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were caption cards used for?
(a) To make up for the lack of sound in silent movies.
(b) To list the credits.
(c) They were used as subtitles for foreign films.
(d) To help the actors get into character.
2. What did Hitchcock have a little boy carry in his film, "The Woman Alone"?
(a) A dead body.
(b) A bomb.
(c) A mysterious box.
(d) A knife.
3. Where is the concept of a MacGuffin said to have originated?
(a) Spaghetti westerns.
(b) Kipling's stories.
(c) Comic books.
(d) Sci-fi novels.
4. Over what span of time did the interview between Truffaut and Hitchcock take place?
(a) Sixteen days.
(b) A month.
(c) Fifty hour period.
(d) Twenty-four hour period.
5. How was the murderer in "The Girl was Young" identifiable?
(a) By a tattoo.
(b) By a limp.
(c) By an eye twitch.
(d) By facial hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was said to rarely have the same viewpoint as the filmmaker?
2. What did the script of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" have to avoid showing?
3. Which of the following did Hitchcock NOT study at a specialized school?
4. What were leading ladies required to do for the cameramen's age-hiding technique to work?
5. According to Hitchcock, what do Jesuits have a deep sense of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What schools did Hitchcock attend in his youth?
2. What did Hitchcock explain would happen if a film's plot was too complex?
3. From where does the term "MacGuffin" originate?
4. What incident did Hitchcock recall as a young child, which inspired his life-long fear of police?
5. At the film studio, Hitchcock produced caption cards for films. What was the purpose of caption cards?
6. Describe Hitchcock's tenure at the Henley Telegraph Company.
7. What did Hitchcock do when he learned Paramount Famous Players-Lasky was planning to open a film studio in London?
8. After working in the title department at Paramount Famous Players-Lasky, what skill did Hitchcock begin to practice?
9. What was Hitchcock's response when Truffaut asked whether he was intimidated by filming in America?
10. What was the ending of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" based on?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)