|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who appeared in each of Hitchcock's films?
(a) David O. Selznick.
(b) Edith Head.
(c) James Stewart.
(d) Hitchcock himself.
2. Which famous figure inspired a scene in "The Man Who Knew Too Much"?
(a) Walt Disney.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Winston Churchill.
(d) Adolf Hitler.
3. What happens at the end of "The Secret Agent"?
(a) The hero goes into hiding in northern England.
(b) A woman is saved from a fire.
(c) The world goes to war.
(d) The hero is killed.
4. What did Hitchcock say must be done about the MacGuffin so that the story was not ruined?
(a) It must never fall into the hands of the story's antagonist.
(b) It must be kept simple.
(c) It must be an item of little monetary value.
(d) It must only be revealed at the end of the film.
5. According to Hitchcock, what prevents a film audience from feeling emotions?
(a) Bad acting and direction.
(c) A story they cannot relate to.
(d) An unbelievable storyline.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hitchcock describe his father?
2. How was the murderer in "The Girl was Young" identifiable?
3. What did cameramen focus on to hide a leading lady's aging?
4. Where did the Paramount Famous Players-Lasky plan to open a film studio?
5. Who did Hitchcock meet that influenced his interest in writing scripts?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the film studio, Hitchcock produced caption cards for films. What was the purpose of caption cards?
2. From where does the term "MacGuffin" originate?
3. Why did Hitchcock insist that his cameos in his films appear in the first five minutes?
4. Describe Hitchcock's tenure at the Henley Telegraph Company.
5. What did Hitchcock learn from his film, "The Woman Alone"?
6. In a short story, how did Hitchcock himself explain the term "MacGuffin"?
7. What did Hitchcock and Truffaut discuss about movie critics?
8. According to Hitchcock, what was special about his film "The Ring"?
9. Describe the troubles Hitchcock had while filming his directorial debut.
10. What was the ending of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" based on?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)