|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hitchcock talk about in regards to his film, "The Ring"?
(a) The perfect casting.
(b) The film's technical innovations.
(c) The behind-the-scenes shenanigans.
(d) The budget.
2. Where is the concept of a MacGuffin said to have originated?
(a) Kipling's stories.
(b) Comic books.
(c) Spaghetti westerns.
(d) Sci-fi novels.
3. What position was Hitchcock promoted to in the company he worked for after leaving school?
(a) Technical Estimator.
(b) Account Manager.
(c) Head Engineer.
(d) Director of Planning.
4. Hitchcock revealed that caption cards often didn't match a movie's dialogue due to which circumstance?
(a) The original dialogue was not translatable.
(b) The original dialogue was often too racy for film.
(c) The original dialogue was bad.
(d) The original dialogue was often too long.
5. What did Hitchcock say it was important to find a balance between with a movie's plot?
(a) Being too comedic and dramatic.
(b) Being too subtle and too obvious.
(c) Being too subjective and objective.
(d) Being too realistic and unrealistic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appeared in each of Hitchcock's films?
2. Who did Hitchcock meet that influenced his interest in writing scripts?
3. Along with "Shadow of a Doubt", what other film did Truffaut name as having inept police characters in the story?
4. How did Hitchcock NOT make up for the wallet of studio money he lost while working on his directorial debut?
5. What were caption cards used for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Hitchcock's first American film received by the public and his peers?
2. Why did Hitchcock insist that his cameos in his films appear in the first five minutes?
3. What incident did Hitchcock recall as a young child, which inspired his life-long fear of police?
4. In a short story, how did Hitchcock himself explain the term "MacGuffin"?
5. What did Hitchcock try to do on the set of "Number Seventeen" which ended in disaster?
6. What is the Shuftan Process?
7. What was the ending of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" based on?
8. What did Hitchcock believe was his first step into the world of film?
9. What did Hitchcock explain would happen if a film's plot was too complex?
10. Describe the troubles Hitchcock had while filming his directorial debut.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)