|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Along with "Shadow of a Doubt", what other film did Truffaut name as having inept police characters in the story?
(b) Jamaica Inn.
2. What did Hitchcock become known for inserting into his films?
(a) Original music.
(c) Actors of all races.
(d) Up-and-coming actors and actresses.
3. What word did Truffaut use to describe using children in films in a suspenseful way?
(a) As 'twisted'.
(b) As 'tricky'.
(c) As 'ticklish'.
(d) As 'troubling'.
4. What is Hitchcock known as?
(a) The Master of Suspense.
(b) The Wizard of Cinematography.
(c) The Genius of Film.
(d) Alfred of Many Angles.
5. Hitchcock revealed that caption cards often didn't match a movie's dialogue due to which circumstance?
(a) The original dialogue was not translatable.
(b) The original dialogue was often too racy for film.
(c) The original dialogue was often too long.
(d) The original dialogue was bad.
6. According to Hitchcock, what do Jesuits have a deep sense of?
(c) Moral fear.
7. While traveling in Germany, what was Hitchcock's crew instructed to smuggle onto a train?
(a) A camera.
(b) A grenade.
(c) A coffin.
(d) A monkey.
8. Which film actually became the first one Hitchcock filmed in America?
(a) The Paradine Case.
(b) Foreign Correspondent.
(d) Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
9. What did Hitchcock realize about his use of the young boy in his film, "The Woman Alone"?
(a) That he would win an award because of it.
(b) That it was a mistake.
(c) That it was ground-breaking.
(d) That it didn't match what was in the original screenplay.
10. On which film did Hitchcock make his directorial debut?
(a) "The Pleasure Garden."
(b) "The Cottage in the Woods."
(c) The English Fields."
(d) "The Glass House."
11. What sort of plot would the term 'MacGuffin" most likely refer to?
(a) An outdoor adventure.
(b) One which revolves around family drama.
(c) One which involves uncovering a secret.
(d) A romantic comedy.
12. Who did Hitchcock meet that influenced his interest in writing scripts?
(a) Spanish writers.
(b) British writers.
(c) French writers.
(d) American writers.
13. What was originally to be the topic of Hitchcock's first American film?
(a) The story of a serial killer.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Hindenburg Disaster.
(d) The sinking of the Titanic.
14. What did the audience resent about Hitchcock's use of the young boy in his film, "The Woman Alone"?
(a) That the role was played by an American, not a Brit.
(b) That he had a happy ending.
(c) That the boy used bad language.
(d) That anything bad happened to him.
15. What did Hitchcock believe was his first step into the world of film?
(a) Drawing advertisements.
(b) Researching new technologies.
(c) Making deals.
(d) Planning landscapes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Hitchcock's assistant after he became a director?
2. What did Truffaut suggest the portrayal of police in Hitchcock's films, such as"Shadow of a Doubt" was influenced by?
3. Who did Hitchcock say was the actual recipient of the Oscar?
4. How did Hitchcock shoot "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"?
5. What incident was the ending of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" based on?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)