|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was said to rarely have the same viewpoint as the filmmaker?
(a) The studio.
(b) The actors.
(c) Film critics.
(d) The audience.
2. Who did Hitchcock say was the actual recipient of the Oscar?
(a) The film's stars.
(b) The film's production crew.
(c) The film's producer.
(d) The film's writers.
3. Who starred in Hitchcock's "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"?
(a) Carol Lombard.
(b) Doris Day.
(c) Janet Leigh.
(d) Ava Gardner.
4. What was different about Hitchcock's first film in America?
(a) It included an animation sequence.
(b) It lacked his signature style.
(c) It was a slapstick comedy.
(d) It was filmed in color.
5. How did Hitchcock describe himself as a child?
(a) As a geek.
(b) As a curious boy.
(c) As a brat.
(d) As a loner.
6. What genre was Hitchcock's film "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"?
(a) Science fiction.
(b) Period romance.
7. Who did Hitchcock meet that influenced his interest in writing scripts?
(a) Spanish writers.
(b) French writers.
(c) British writers.
(d) American writers.
8. What was confiscated at a border crossing when Hitchcock was directing his first film?
(b) 10,000 feet of unexposed film.
(c) Gun powder.
(d) A fake gun.
9. Hitchcock revealed that caption cards often didn't match a movie's dialogue due to which circumstance?
(a) The original dialogue was bad.
(b) The original dialogue was not translatable.
(c) The original dialogue was often too racy for film.
(d) The original dialogue was often too long.
10. What happened to the little boy in Hitchcock's film, "The Woman Alone"?
(a) He saved a lost camper.
(b) He ran away from home.
(c) He died.
(d) He killed another boy.
11. How did Hitchcock feel about his film, "The Secret Agent"?
(a) That the book was better than the film.
(b) Not particularly fond.
(c) Regretful that he chose to make it.
(d) It was his favorite of his films.
12. Why did Hitchcock's father take him to the police station?
(a) As a form of punishment.
(b) To take a lie detector test.
(c) It was the only safe place.
(d) To identify a criminal.
13. What did Hitchcock say must be done about the MacGuffin so that the story was not ruined?
(a) It must never fall into the hands of the story's antagonist.
(b) It must be an item of little monetary value.
(c) It must be kept simple.
(d) It must only be revealed at the end of the film.
14. What was the name of Hitchcock's school when he was young?
(a) St. Peter's College.
(b) St. Mary's College.
(c) St. Ignatius College.
(d) St. Augustine's College.
15. What did Truffaut say about the success of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" in Britain?
(a) It was Hitchcock's greatest success in Britain.
(b) It was a surprise.
(c) It was undeserved.
(d) It was only successful due to the lack of competition at the theaters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what span of time did the interview between Truffaut and Hitchcock take place?
2. What did the script of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" have to avoid showing?
3. In what year did production wrap on "The Prude's Fall"?
4. Which famous figure inspired a scene in "The Man Who Knew Too Much"?
5. Which of the following is NOT named as an actor Hitchcock favored?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)