|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the prefecture order to help clear the fire lanes?
2. How many people in Hiroshima are killed by the atomic bomb?
3. After the bombing, at the Red Cross Hospital, Dr. Sasaki is...
4. Almost no one in Hiroshima recalls...
5. What does NOT happen to the people at Asano Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Hatsuyo Nakamura.
2. Describe Dr. Masakazu Fujii and his lifestyle prior to the bombing.
3. What does Mr. Tanimoto encounter on his way to and from finding his wife and baby?
4. How does Mrs. Nakamura and her children spend the night prior to the bombing?
5. Describe Dr. Terufumi Sasaki.
6. After the bomb hits, what does Mr. Tanimoto see from the mound in the garden?
7. What explains why so many citizens who are hurt go unattended and why so many citizens who might have lived die?
8. What is Mrs. Nakamura doing the morning of the bombing?
9. Describe Dr. Fujii's private clinic.
10. What steps does Mrs. Nakamura take after the bombing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the bomb drops, Dr. Sasaki and Mr. Tanimoto put a great deal of efforts in helping others.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Dr. Sasaki and the Reverend Mr. Tanimoto. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2) In general, who works harder, Dr. Sasaki or Mr. Tanimoto? Cite three examples from the book to support your case.
Part 3) How are the two men affected differently/similarly by what happens to Hiroshima? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Weeks after the explosion, people experience radiation sickness.
1. How were some of the characters able to excel despite radiation sickness? Would the characters have been able to push as far had they not experienced the trauma of the atomic bomb and radiation sickness?
2. What immediate actions could the Japanese or other governments, like that of the United states, have done to help ease the peoples' radiation sickness?
Essay Topic 3
"There, in the tin factory, in the first moment of the atomic age, a human being was crushed by books," the words at the end of Chapter 1. What is the author saying about technology and the atomic age in this quotation? Cite three examples that prove your theory.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)