|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Nakamura dresses her children in everything except for...
2. Why is Mrs. Nakamura's neighbor tearing down his house before the bombing?
3. Prior to the bombing, what happens to Hiroshima's population?
4. Why does Dr. Fujii like to read the Osaka News?
5. In general, the survivors of Hiroshima...
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the atmosphere like at Asano Park?
2. What are some of the reasons people pour into Asano Park?
3. What are the weather and conditions like as Dr. Fujii walks over the bridge after the bombing?
4. How does Mr. Fukai, the secretary of the diocese, behave after Hiroshima is hit by the bomb?
5. Describe Mrs. Hatsuyo Nakamura.
6. Why does Miss Toshiko Sasaki get up at 3 o'clock in the morning the day the bomb falls?
7. What may have saved Dr. Sasaki's life the morning of the bomb?
8. Describe Dr. Fujii's private clinic.
9. What is Mrs. Nakamura doing the morning of the bombing?
10. Describe Father Wilhelm Kleinsorge.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of the six characters, Dr. Fujii is the one least affected physically by the bombing and the Reverend Tanimoto's experience is the exact opposite.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the two men's ailments or lack of after the bombing and up until their death.
Part 2) What types of lifestyles do these men have after the war is over?
Essay Topic 2
John Hersey mentions several times the Japanese's indifference towards the ethics of using the atomic bomb.
1) Discuss the roots of this Japanese attitude.
2) Is Hersey being objective about the subject of the Japanese's attitude towards the atomic bomb or is he telling only one side of it, keeping out the attitudes of those who feel otherwise?
Essay Topic 3
After the bombing the Japanese are stoic in a number of ways. Describe the various ways that the Japanese show stoicism and explain what roots and relationships the characters have to their heritage and government. Cite three examples that prove your theory.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)