|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Nakamura's neighbor tearing down his house before the bombing?
2. Mostly, what food is brought back from the shelter for the wounded?
3. Why does the Jesuit's mission house remain standing after the bombing?
4. Why does Miss Toshiko Sasaki wake up at three A.M. the morning the bomb is dropped?
5. On what day is the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima?
Short Essay Questions
1. What puzzles Dr. Fujii and his doctor friend about what they see after the bombing?
2. What steps does Mrs. Nakamura take after the bombing?
3. Describe Dr. Fujii's private clinic.
4. Prior to the bombing, why do the police question Mr. Tanimoto several times?
5. Describe Dr. Terufumi Sasaki.
6. After the bomb hits, what does Mr. Tanimoto see from the mound in the garden?
7. Why does Miss Toshiko Sasaki get up at 3 o'clock in the morning the day the bomb falls?
8. Describe Father Wilhelm Kleinsorge.
9. What is the atmosphere like at Asano Park?
10. What are the weather and conditions like as Dr. Fujii walks over the bridge after the bombing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Hersey mentions several times the Japanese's indifference towards the ethics of using the atomic bomb.
1) Discuss the roots of this Japanese attitude.
2) Is Hersey being objective about the subject of the Japanese's attitude towards the atomic bomb or is he telling only one side of it, keeping out the attitudes of those who feel otherwise?
Essay Topic 2
After the bombing the Japanese are stoic in a number of ways. Describe the various ways that the Japanese show stoicism and explain what roots and relationships the characters have to their heritage and government. Cite three examples that prove your theory.
Essay Topic 3
Of the six characters, Dr. Fujii is the one least affected physically by the bombing and the Reverend Tanimoto's experience is the exact opposite.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the two men's ailments or lack of after the bombing and up until their death.
Part 2) What types of lifestyles do these men have after the war is over?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)