|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Fujii end up doing with regards to his work?
(a) He retires.
(b) He devotes his life to helping atomic bomb victims.
(c) He buys a vacant private clinic and builds a strong practice.
(d) He works out of his home.
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Nakamura see a doctor for her ailments?
(a) She doesn't feel she is sick enough.
(b) She is afraid of what the doctor may tell her.
(c) She is too poor.
(d) Her relative is a nurse who gives her the proper treatment.
3. By February 1946, what condition is Miss Sasaki in when Father Kleinsorge visits her?
(a) She is beginning to walk around and show signs of strength.
(b) She is ready to start a new life.
(c) She is getting sicker everyday.
(d) She has grown more and more depressed and morbid.
4. In trying to rebuild the city, what is the Planning Conference in Hiroshima at a loss to?
(a) They don't know how they would rebuild the city.
(b) They don't know hwo to get people to move back into the city.
(c) They worry about the costs involved to rebuild the city.
(d) They don't know what importance could Hiroshima now have.
5. On August 18th, what does Father Kleinsorge use his suitcase for?
(a) He uses it to carry his personal belongings to a safe place.
(b) He uses it to carry important documents to the police station.
(c) He uses it to carry the yen belonging to the Society of Jesus to the bank.
(d) He uses it to store his own money.
6. What does Mr. Tanimoto do after the people at the park are promised to receive help?
(a) He helps settle people in for the night.
(b) He falls asleep, exhausted.
(c) He tries to keep everyone in the park calm and collective.
(d) He resumes ferrying the wounded across the river.
7. What is the one feeling the survivors of Hiroshima share?
(a) The desire to assist other atomic bomb victims.
(b) The feeling of elated community spirit.
(c) The hope that everything will one day be better.
(d) The hatred for Americans.
8. What does the doctor tell Mother Superior about Father Kleinsorge?
(a) "We can't help him here."
(b) "With the right treatment, he'll live a healthy normal life."
(c) "He'll die."
(d) "We'll get him out of here in three months."
9. What does Mr. Tanimoto have to keep consciously repeating to himself in order to get all the people across the river?
(a) ""What if I was in their place?"
(b) "God will reward me."
(c) "It's a great sin to leave them behind."
(d) "They are human beings."
10. Who eventually comes looking for Miss Sasaki and finds her?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Mr. Fukai.
(c) Father Nagatsuka.
(d) Her siblings.
11. What does a young man who is staying at the same hospital as that of Miss Sasaki give her?
(a) A ring.
(b) A watch.
(c) A pen.
(d) A book.
12. In the afternoon of the third day after the bombing, what does Dr. Sasaki become obsessed with?
(a) The idea that he is contaminated with radioactivity.
(b) The idea that his mother thinks he is dead.
(c) The fact that 100,000 people were killed within an instant.
(d) The idea that such horrific act as the atomic bomb could take place.
13. Where is Father Kleinsorge a year after the bomb?
(a) He has completely rebuilt his church.
(b) He has traveled to America.
(c) He is back in Germany.
(d) He is back in the hospital.
14. What happens to Mrs. Nakamura a few weeks after the bombing?
(a) She becomes blind.
(b) She becomes deaf.
(c) She experiences fainting spells.
(d) She becomes bald.
15. What happens to Mr. Tanimoto's health a few weeks after the bombing?
(a) He experiences upset stomachs.
(b) He falls ill with malaise, weariness, and feverishness.
(c) He loses all his hair.
(d) He is suddenly unable to walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. To the Japanese, what is a greater moral responsibility than adequate care of the living?
2. A year after the bomb is dropped, what condition is Mr. Tanimoto's church in?
3. What does Dr. Fujii do once his injuries begin to make progress?
4. In Chapter 3, what happens in Hiroshima that causes more devastation?
5. What does Dr. Fujii do the night after the explosion?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)