|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Nakamura children react during the night at Asano Park?
(a) They are interested in everything that happens.
(b) They are frightnened by what is happening.
(c) They cry throughout the night.
(d) They cough and vomit throughout the night.
2. In Chapter 3, what gesture makes Father Kleinsorge a little hysterical and want to cry suddenly?
(a) A Japanese man hands him a cup of water.
(b) A Japanese woman offers him bandages for his wounds.
(c) A Japanese woman hands him tea leaves to chew on.
(d) A Japanese child offers him a rice cake.
3. What is the condition of one of the wounded people lying beside Miss Sasaki?
(a) A soldier's eye sockets are hollow from the burns.
(b) An old woman is nearly dead.
(c) A man has lost his arm.
(d) A woman has lost her breast.
4. To the Japanese, what is a greater moral responsibility than adequate care of the living?
(a) Cremation should be attended to only after the survivors have been taken care of.
(b) Disposal of the dead by decent cremation and enshrinment.
(c) Cremation is the responsibility of relatives only.
(d) Cremation is not important under dire circumstances.
5. What does Dr. Sasaki eventually get permission from the Red Cross Hospital to do?
(a) To go to his mother's home in Mukaihara.
(b) To take a two-day break from the Red Cross Hospital.
(c) To sleep for seventeen hours.
(d) To transfer to another hospital.
6. What ends up happening to Mr. Fukai, the Japanese secretary of the diocese?
(a) He is found dead.
(b) He is found at the Red Cross Hospital.
(c) He was last seen running into a fire.
(d) No one sees him again.
7. Why doesn't Mrs. Nakamura see a doctor for her ailments?
(a) She doesn't feel she is sick enough.
(b) Her relative is a nurse who gives her the proper treatment.
(c) She is afraid of what the doctor may tell her.
(d) She is too poor.
8. What does the news that was heard on the radio August 15 convey?
(a) Japan still has a chance to win the war.
(b) The war is over.
(c) The war will continue.
(d) The war has just begun.
9. As symptoms of radiation disease reveal themselves, it becomes clear that many of them resemble the effects of...
(a) An overdose of gamma rays.
(b) An overdose of x-rays.
(c) An overdose of electromagnetic radiation.
(d) An overdose of electromagnetic spectrum.
10. Who eventually comes looking for Miss Sasaki and finds her?
(a) Father Nagatsuka.
(b) Her siblings.
(c) Mr. Fukai.
(d) Her friends.
11. How does Mrs. Nakamura react when her sewing machine is retrieved?
(a) She is disappointed that it is all rusted and useless.
(b) She is frustrated that parts of it need to be fixed.
(c) She is happy that it is still in good shape.
(d) She fears she is too ill to use it anyway.
12. What does a shortwave rebroadcast announcement by the President of the United States do?
(a) It warns of another bomb expected to hit Japan.
(b) It identifies the new bomb as atomic.
(c) It expresses sympathy for the citizens who were killed and wounded.
(d) It identifies the number of people the bomb killed.
13. What does Dr. Fujii do the night after the explosion?
(a) He lies on the floor in his family's roofless house.
(b) He helps the wounded at Asano Park.
(c) He lies on the ground at Asano Park, unable to help the wounded.
(d) He helps the wounded at the Red Cross Hospital.
14. What does Mr. Tanaka do as Mr. Tanimoto reads the psalm?
(a) He dies.
(b) He asks him to stop.
(c) He loses consciesness.
(d) He vomits.
15. What does Dr. Fujii offer the Jesuit when they find him at eleven o'clock in the morning?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the afternoon of the third day after the bombing, what does Dr. Sasaki become obsessed with?
2. By February 1946, what condition is Miss Sasaki in when Father Kleinsorge visits her?
3. What in particular causes Miss Sasaki unease as she looks at the ruins of Hiroshima?
4. What does one of the two girls who Mr. Tanimoto rescues keep complaining about?
5. A year after the bomb is dropped, what condition is Mr. Tanimoto's church in?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)