|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On August 18th, what does Father Kleinsorge begin to feel as he walks halfway from the center of town?
(a) He feels excruciatingly tired.
(b) He feels very cold.
(c) He feels very nauseous.
(d) He feels a lot of pain in his legs.
2. After 19 straight hours of gruesome work, what does Dr. Sasaki and other survivors of the hospital staff do?
(a) They break up in search of other doctors.
(b) They go behind the hospital to eat some biscuits and rice balls.
(c) They lay down in hiding behind the hospital to catch some sleep.
(d) They leave the hospital.
3. What happens to Dr. Sasaki about seven months after the bombing?
(a) He loses 60 pounds.
(b) He leaves the Red Cross Hospital.
(c) He gets married.
(d) He is bedridden for one month.
4. Why isn't Mr. Tanimoto able to bring a doctor to Asano Park?
(a) The doctors tell him there is no hope in saving those who are wounded by the bomb.
(b) He can't find any.
(c) Doctors elsewhere have thousands of their own wounded to care for.
(d) The doctors he meets are badly wounded themselves.
5. On August 18th, what does Father Kleinsorge use his suitcase for?
(a) He uses it to store his own money.
(b) He uses it to carry important documents to the police station.
(c) He uses it to carry the yen belonging to the Society of Jesus to the bank.
(d) He uses it to carry his personal belongings to a safe place.
6. Who is the person Miss Sasaki thinks about while in the hospital?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her fiance.
(d) Her mother.
7. What does the first army doctor who sees Miss Sasaki say?
(a) Her leg needs a simple surgery.
(b) Her body is poisoned by gas gangrene.
(c) She is going to die.
(d) Her leg has to be amputated.
8. What does Dr. Sasaki feel should happen to the men who decided to use the bomb?
(a) They should be bombed themselves.
(b) They should come to Japan and witness the damage they did.
(c) They should be shot to death.
(d) They should be tried and hanged.
9. What ends up happening to Mr. Fukai, the Japanese secretary of the diocese?
(a) No one sees him again.
(b) He was last seen running into a fire.
(c) He is found dead.
(d) He is found at the Red Cross Hospital.
10. What does Mr. Tanimoto do after the people at the park are promised to receive help?
(a) He helps settle people in for the night.
(b) He tries to keep everyone in the park calm and collective.
(c) He resumes ferrying the wounded across the river.
(d) He falls asleep, exhausted.
11. At Asano Park, after Father Kleinsorge tries to settle down for the night, prays, and falls asleep, what wakes him up?
(a) The nurse who asks him if he wants anything to eat.
(b) The mission keeper who asks him if he'd remembered to repeat his evening prayers.
(c) The sudden rainstorm.
(d) People cheering after they'd heard they were going to be rescued.
12. What does the news that was heard on the radio August 15 convey?
(a) The war has just begun.
(b) Japan still has a chance to win the war.
(c) The war will continue.
(d) The war is over.
13. What in particular causes Miss Sasaki unease as she looks at the ruins of Hiroshima?
(a) The amount of peoples' ashes piled on the ground.
(b) The sight of grass and flowers among the ruins.
(c) The large number of mice roaming the streets.
(d) The sight of dead naked children stacked together.
14. What do Japanese scientists announce after having investigated Hiroshima?
(a) They announce that people could enter Hiroshima without any peril at all.
(b) They announce that people could enter Hiroshima at their own risk.
(c) The announce that they need to do much more intense investigation to learn whether or not Hiroshima is safe.
(d) They announce that the radiation measurement is so high, people need to stay away from the city for at least 30 days.
15. What happens to the Kataoka children, sister and brother, whom Father Kleinsorge finds?
(a) They have to be separated.
(b) They die.
(c) It is discovered that their entire family is dead.
(d) They are returned to their mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Father Kleinsorge arrives to the hospital, what condition is he in?
2. In Hiroshima, Father Kleinsorges is one of thousands of sufferers; in Tokyo...
3. What does Dr. Fujii end up doing with regards to his work?
4. What does the doctor tell Father Kleinsorge at the hospital?
5. What does Dr. Fujii offer the Jesuit when they find him at eleven o'clock in the morning?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)