|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Nakamura's husband die?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He dies while serving in the army.
(c) He has a heart attack.
(d) He is killed in a car accident.
2. What do people hear prior to the bomb dropping?
(a) A plane flying over.
(b) A radio announcement assuring everyone that all is safe.
(c) The warning siren.
(d) The all-clear sound.
3. What is a Molotov flower basket?
(a) The name the Japanese gave the American bombers.
(b) The delicate Japanese name for B-29s.
(c) The name the Japanese gave the atomic bomb.
(d) The delicate Japanese name for self-scattering cluster of bombs.
4. What did Mrs. Nakamura's deceased husband do for a living?
(a) He was a surgeon.
(b) He was a government official.
(c) He was a clerk.
(d) He was a tailor.
5. What does Mrs. Nakamura do as soon as everything turns white?
(a) She kneels down and covers her head.
(b) She hides beneath the bed.
(c) She turns towards her children.
(d) She runs outside.
6. At Asano Park, how do the wounded die?
(a) They beg to be treated.
(b) They die quietly.
(c) They scream in pain.
(d) They complain the whole way through.
7. What do Mr. Tanimoto and Father Kleinsorge eat from the garden on the way to the shelter?
(a) A roasted pumpkin.
(b) A roasted corn on the cob.
(c) Roasted potatoes.
(d) Roasted peanuts.
8. What is the Reverend Mr. Kiyoshi Tanimoto doing when the bomb drops?
(a) He is about to take a long walk in the suburbs.
(b) He is about to knock on the door of a relative's home who lives in the suburbs.
(c) He is about to deliver a cart of food at an old man's home in the suburbs.
(d) He is about to unload a cart of clothes at a rich man's home in the suburbs.
9. Mr. Tanimoto carries water from the river to the people, an act which...
(a) Saves a number of people.
(b) He regrets having done.
(c) He is proud to have been able to do.
(d) Turns out to be a mistake.
10. What is Father Wilhelm Kleinsorge doing when the bomb falls?
(a) He is writing a letter while lying on a cot.
(b) He is lying on a cot reading a Jesuit magazine.
(c) He is sleeping on a cot.
(d) He is praying while lying on a cot.
11. How is Miss Sasaki related to Dr. Sasaki?
(a) There is no relation.
(b) She is his sister-in-law.
(c) She is his cousin.
(d) She is his niece.
12. Why does Dr. Fujii like to read the Osaka News?
(a) The Osaka News delivers the most accurate news.
(b) His clinic is in Osaka.
(c) He plans to move there after the war.
(d) His wife lives there.
13. Where does Dr. Sasaki work?
(a) Hiroshima Hospital.
(b) The Hiroshima University hospital.
(c) A private clinic.
(d) The Red Cross Hospital.
14. What falls on Miss Sasaki's legs after the bomb drops?
(a) A statue.
(b) An office desk.
(c) A bookcase.
(d) A table.
15. After the explosion, what does Father Kleinsorge run around in?
(a) His bathrobe.
(b) His pajamas.
(c) His underwear.
(d) A heavy coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did those who were burnt beg for?
2. What do the six survivors in Hiroshima, who John Hersey writes about, still wonder?
3. What does Mr. Tanimoto take from the five dead men in the river?
4. Almost no one in Hiroshima recalls...
5. How many patients does Dr. Fujii have prior to the bombing?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)