|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Shepherd promise before he leaves Much-Afraid and her companions to travel alone in Chapter 7?
2. What is the second letter of the alphabet of Love?
3. What did Much-Afraid find growing out of a tiny crevice in a rock where she and the twin sisters spent the night?
4. What did the Shepherd ask Much-Afraid after showing her the potter working clay?
5. Where does the Shepherd plant the seed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deterred the Fearling family from their evil plot to prevent Much-Afraid from leaving with the Shepherd?
2. Why did the Shepherd suggest Much-Afraid and the twins begin their trek up the mountain that evening?
3. Where was the Shepherd going to take Much-Afraid to get away from her family and start a new life?
4. What did Sorrow and Suffering suggest to help Much-Afraid's injury heal so she could finish the trip up the precipice?
5. Why was Much-Afraid so insistent she was not going to call the Shepherd for help as she stood at the bottom of the precipice?
6. How did the Shepherd compare the flow of a stream downward to what people on the High Places of Love can do?
7. What was the Shepherd's advice before he left Much-Afraid at the Shore of Loneliness?
8. What is the Shepherd's message in the metaphors about the threshing and the pottery?
9. Where were Much-Afraid and her traveling companions to cross the body of water that they reached to get to the other side, and what did they find there?
10. What is the furnace of Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 15, "The Floods", Much-Afraid is so frustrated she considers throwing away her memory stones. As she looks at them, what are the lessons she remembers from each stone?
Essay Topic 2
What do the altars in the novel represent? How do they relate to people in real life?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between the natural need for human love and the plant of love that were growing inside Much-Afraid?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)