|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Anita feel she meant to her mother when she was growing up?
(a) She was expensive.
(b) She was replaceable.
(c) She was a mistake.
(d) She was extra baggage.
2. What type of music did Anita strictly sing in Chapter 4?
3. What were dance marathons called?
(a) Dance 'til you drop.
4. Who was Anita involved with in dance contests?
(a) An older man.
(b) A boy her age.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) A young man.
5. What did Anita become at the age of 17?
(a) An actress.
(b) A famous singer.
(c) Don's mistress.
(d) Don's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Anita's crush teach her to play?
2. What did Gladys have to do to support herself and her daughter?
3. In Chapter 3, what was Anita offered?
4. What happened to the person who stayed with Anita and her mom during Chapter 2?
5. What did Anita see an advertisement for in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Anita give her mom her dance contest money?
2. Describe Gladys.
3. Describe what happened after Anita's first sexual encounter.
4. Describe what the Off-Beat was.
5. Why did Anita drown her sorrows in cognac and marijuana in the Chelsea Hotel?
6. Describe Anita and Don's relationship.
7. How did Anita feel that her mother felt about her?
8. Describe Aunt Belle.
9. What did Gladys allow Anita to do in Chapter 2?
10. Describe how Gladys and James became married.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)