|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chapter 1 describe Anita?
(a) Disruptive and emotionally bankrupt.
(b) Lonely but happy.
(c) Sad and miserable.
(d) Happy and joyful.
2. Who did Anita travel with during her time she ran away?
3. What did Anita feel she meant to her mother when she was growing up?
(a) She was extra baggage.
(b) She was replaceable.
(c) She was expensive.
(d) She was a mistake.
4. Who did Anita jam with during her time at Off-Beat?
(a) Gene Krupa and Paul Whiteman.
(b) Gene and Whitefield.
(c) Kruppas and Whitesmith.
(d) No one special.
5. Who was born after Gladys and her first husband moved?
6. Who did Anita spend her summers with?
(a) Her maternal grandparents.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her paternal grandparents.
7. What was the result of James' behavior?
(a) He went bankrupt.
(b) Gladys divorced him.
(c) He lost his home.
(d) He lost his job.
8. Who did Anita end up dating while she was still married?
(a) No one.
(b) Gene Kruppa.
(c) Paul Whiteman.
(d) Carl Hoff.
9. Who is Anita's idol in Chapter 3?
(a) Martha Rye.
(b) Mary Rave.
(c) Martha Raye.
(d) Marta Reesen.
10. What did the guest staying with Anita and her mom show towards Anita?
(a) The same care as her mom.
(b) More empathy than her mom.
(c) More love than her mom.
(d) Less compassion than her mom.
11. What was Anita's first marriage built upon?
(d) Friendship where sex was frowned upon.
12. Where did Anita move after she rejected her second marriage proposal?
(a) To Kitty Davis.
(b) To her old house.
(c) With her mother and Belle.
(d) To a run down hotel.
13. What happened to the entertainment group towards the end of Chapter 3?
(a) They want to go on tour.
(b) They begin to hate their lives.
(c) They begin to fight.
(d) They begin to break up.
14. What did Anita long for during Chapter 2?
(b) A lifestyle more appropriate for adults.
(d) A lifestyle of freedom.
15. In Chapter 2, what did Gladys allow Anita to do?
(a) Move in with her boyfriend.
(b) Work in a bar, singing.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Travel throughout the Midwest.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Anita born?
2. Where was Anita able to work her way up singing?
3. In Chapter 3, how much older was Anita's crush than she was?
4. In Chapter 3, what was Anita offered?
5. What did Anita do with the money she won in the dance contest?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)