Chapters 1-2: Excess Baggage, Cutting Loose
• Chapters 1-2: Excess Baggage, Cutting Loose
• In Chapter 1, the reader is introduced to the emotionally bankrupt and disruptive childhood of Anita O'Day.
• Anita's mother, Gladys got pregnant by James Colton in early 1919.
• After the couple wed, they moved to Chicago, where Anita was born.
• James was a gambler, drinker and womanizer who neglected his family.
• Gladys eventually divorced James and they had a temporary fling that ended with the same results of break up.
• Gladys was not a demonstrative person while Anita was growing up, but Anita felt as though she was excess baggage to her dour and unhappy mother.
• Anita found pleasure in her adolescence in music and her summer's spent in Kansas City.
• Anita would stay with her maternal grandparents in Kansas City and would often go to church and sing there.
• Anita entered a dance contest and won.
This section contains 1,789 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)