|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Miller once feel about sex with Nin?
2. What did Eduardo fear from Nin in April?
3. By May of 1932, what was Nin worried about in regards to her personality?
4. Over love for whom did Nin disagree with Allendy?
5. Why was Miller's dislike (as claimed in April of 1932) hypocritical?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did Perles Miller's love for Nin in June and how did she counter his claims?
2. Why was Nin firm about her commitment that she would always choose Hugo over Miller?
3. What did Dr. Allendy believe about the root of Nin's inferiority complex?
4. How did Perles and Miller's differing loves for Nin start to become problematic around April?
5. What is significant about Nin's realization that she had never given herself fully to another person?
6. Describe Nin's discussion about her femininity with Dr. Allendy.
7. Why did Mansfield's return worry both Miller and Nin?
8. How was Nin deluding herself in her relationship with Miller?
9. How did Miller attempt to advance his relationship with Nin in May?
10. What revitalized Hugo and Nin's relationship in May?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences in Miller and Nin's languages and what it suggested about not only their relationships, but about their personalities. Be sure to also consider the significance of Nin's language becoming coarser like Miller's and what their reactions to her changing manner of speech suggests about the evolution of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the many different lovers of Nin throughout the year of this journal (be sure to include June Mansfield). Discuss how their differences caused Nin to love each one differently, as well as how it was related to her need to find complete fulfillment.
Essay Topic 3
How was Nin's need for validation from many different people (usually men) in her life related to her neuroses, possible Oedipal complex, and her many different lovers? In what ways was this driving need for approval the basis of her relationship with Miller?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)