|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request did Nin make of Mansfield in April?
2. In April of 1932, who did Nin claim she would always choose above her other lovers?
3. According to Nin in July, what was destined to happen between Miller and herself?
4. What marked the moment in June in which Miller realized Nin was becoming stronger and coarser in words?
5. What did Allendy predict would keep Nin unhappy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dr. Allendy believe about the root of Nin's inferiority complex?
2. How was Miller hypocritical about relationships?
3. What revitalized Hugo and Nin's relationship in May?
4. In what ways did Perles Miller's love for Nin in June and how did she counter his claims?
5. Why did Mansfield's return worry both Miller and Nin?
6. What is significant about Nin's realization that she had never given herself fully to another person?
7. Why did Nin ultimately decide she needed analysis after her time with Miller and Perles at Louveciennes?
8. What was Dr. Allendy's analysis of Nin's relationships?
9. What was problematic about Nin's agreement to Eduardo in regards to her journal?
10. How did Miller tell Nin he felt about her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the many different lovers of Nin throughout the year of this journal (be sure to include June Mansfield). Discuss how their differences caused Nin to love each one differently, as well as how it was related to her need to find complete fulfillment.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Miller's sexism and possessive jealousy of Nin, as well as how it related to his relationship with Mansfield and, eventually, friendship with Hugo.
Essay Topic 3
How did Nin's initial intimidation and fear of Miller infuse their relationship from beginning to end? How was this related to Miller's seduction of Nin, as well as his later inability to perform in bed? What does this ultimately reveal about Miller's more possessive, sexist tendencies?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)