|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear did Perles express to Nin during May?
2. Which of the following women was Henry not romantically involved with when seeing Nin?
3. What fear did both Miller and Nin have with the possible return of Mansfield?
4. Which lover caused Nin the most anxiety?
5. If Nin should ever lose Miller, what did she claim would no longer be necessary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Allendy characterize Nin's relationships with her lovers?
2. How did Perles and Miller's differing loves for Nin start to become problematic around April?
3. Describe Nin's discussion about her femininity with Dr. Allendy.
4. Why did Nin describe her journal as being an addiction?
5. In what ways did Perles Miller's love for Nin in June and how did she counter his claims?
6. Why was Nin firm about her commitment that she would always choose Hugo over Miller?
7. Describe Nin's reflections about her relationship to Hugo at the end of April.
8. How did Miller tell Nin he felt about her husband?
9. Why did Nin ultimately decide she needed analysis after her time with Miller and Perles at Louveciennes?
10. Why was Nin unhappy in her home and with Hugo by May?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did her relationships with Miller and Mansfield cause Nin to begin questioning the reality around her at the end of her journal? What did this suggest about Nin's need to move on with her life, as well as how she had grown throughout the course of this year? What did this ultimately reveal about her feelings for both Miller and Mansfield?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the many different lovers of Nin throughout the year of this journal (be sure to include June Mansfield). Discuss how their differences caused Nin to love each one differently, as well as how it was related to her need to find complete fulfillment.
Essay Topic 3
Using Miller's statements to Nin about her attractiveness and how he believed she gave him so much more than he gave her, construct an essay on the role of honesty in the lives of these people and how it affected their relationships.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)