|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear keeps Nin from taking complete pleasure in having sex with Miller?
2. When Miller's remarks hurt Nin when they were at her studio with Perles, what were his intentions behind saying them?
3. What did Nin vow to never to do in regards to her relationship with Hugo?
4. In April of 1932, what did Miller claim to dislike?
5. What did Allendy predict would keep Nin unhappy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was problematic about Nin's agreement to Eduardo in regards to her journal?
2. Why did Nin ultimately decide she needed analysis after her time with Miller and Perles at Louveciennes?
3. Why was Nin unhappy in her home and with Hugo by May?
4. How was Nin deluding herself in her relationship with Miller?
5. Why did Nin describe her journal as being an addiction?
6. Why did Miller tell Nin she was not beautiful?
7. How did Allendy characterize Nin's relationships with her lovers?
8. How was Miller hypocritical about relationships?
9. Describe Nin's reflections about her relationship to Hugo at the end of April.
10. Describe Nin's studio at Louveciennes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nin and Mansfield's erotically-charged friendship and how it was related to their connections to Miller. Include the women's ideas on lesbianism and how their connection changed their outlooks on romantic attachments.
Essay Topic 2
How did Nin's initial intimidation and fear of Miller infuse their relationship from beginning to end? How was this related to Miller's seduction of Nin, as well as his later inability to perform in bed? What does this ultimately reveal about Miller's more possessive, sexist tendencies?
Essay Topic 3
How did her relationships with Miller and Mansfield cause Nin to begin questioning the reality around her at the end of her journal? What did this suggest about Nin's need to move on with her life, as well as how she had grown throughout the course of this year? What did this ultimately reveal about her feelings for both Miller and Mansfield?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)