|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Miller and Perles staying in April?
2. What was significant about Nin's feelings for both Hugo and Miller?
3. Where was Nin's studio?
4. What was always capable of grabbing Nin's attention, no matter how exhausted she was?
5. What did Eduardo fear from Nin in April?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Nin's realization that she had never given herself fully to another person?
2. Why did Nin describe her journal as being an addiction?
3. Why did Nin ultimately decide she needed analysis after her time with Miller and Perles at Louveciennes?
4. What was Dr. Allendy's analysis of Nin's relationships?
5. How was Miller hypocritical about relationships?
6. Describe the double standards in Miller and Nin's relationship.
7. What did Dr. Allendy believe about the root of Nin's inferiority complex?
8. In what ways did Perles Miller's love for Nin in June and how did she counter his claims?
9. Describe Nin's studio at Louveciennes.
10. Why was Nin unhappy in her home and with Hugo by May?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles of domination and submission in regards to the many relationships depicted in this journal. Do not confine this discussion strictly to how it related to Anais Nin.
Essay Topic 2
Why was Allendy's relationship with Nin intensely problematic in regards to her personal life, his professional needs, and her need to straighten out her relationships? Discuss the problems that arose from Allendy treating a woman with psychoanalysis for whom he held great affection and attraction, as well as the possibility of Nin purposefully seducing him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nin's evolution as a writer from the beginning of her journal to the end of her affair with Miller, as well as how and why the events of that time shaped her as an artist.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)