|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way did Miller verbally express his love for Nin?
2. In regards to his relationship with Nin, what did Miller desire of Mansfield in April of 1932?
3. What fear did Perles express to Nin during May?
4. If Nin should ever lose Miller, what did she claim would no longer be necessary?
5. What did Nin ask of Miller in May?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nin's reflections about her relationship to Hugo at the end of April.
2. Why was Nin unable to believe Miller would leave Mansfield for her?
3. What was problematic about Nin's agreement to Eduardo in regards to her journal?
4. In what ways did Perles Miller's love for Nin in June and how did she counter his claims?
5. How did Miller and Nin's relationship start to change in June?
6. How did Perles and Miller's differing loves for Nin start to become problematic around April?
7. How did Miller attempt to advance his relationship with Nin in May?
8. Why was Nin firm about her commitment that she would always choose Hugo over Miller?
9. What is significant about Nin's realization that she had never given herself fully to another person?
10. Describe Nin's studio at Louveciennes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the many different lovers of Nin throughout the year of this journal (be sure to include June Mansfield). Discuss how their differences caused Nin to love each one differently, as well as how it was related to her need to find complete fulfillment.
Essay Topic 2
Why was Allendy's relationship with Nin intensely problematic in regards to her personal life, his professional needs, and her need to straighten out her relationships? Discuss the problems that arose from Allendy treating a woman with psychoanalysis for whom he held great affection and attraction, as well as the possibility of Nin purposefully seducing him.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Nin from the beginning of her journal to the end, from her changes in personality to her changes in lovers. Trace her personal journey from the beginning to the end and what it revealed about the woman herself.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)