|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could Nin no longer feel comfortable in her own home in May?
2. Describe Miller's love for Nin.
3. What did Nin allow Miller and Perles to do in her studio?
4. Where was Nin's studio?
5. What did Eduardo fear from Nin in April?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Miller tell Nin she was not beautiful?
2. What is significant about Nin's realization that she had never given herself fully to another person?
3. How did Allendy characterize Nin's relationships with her lovers?
4. Why did Mansfield's return worry both Miller and Nin?
5. How was Miller hypocritical about relationships?
6. How did Perles and Miller's differing loves for Nin start to become problematic around April?
7. Why was Nin unhappy in her home and with Hugo by May?
8. What was problematic about Nin's agreement to Eduardo in regards to her journal?
9. Why did Nin describe her journal as being an addiction?
10. Describe Nin's reflections about her relationship to Hugo at the end of April.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Nin's need for validation from many different people (usually men) in her life related to her neuroses, possible Oedipal complex, and her many different lovers? In what ways was this driving need for approval the basis of her relationship with Miller?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences in Miller and Nin's languages and what it suggested about not only their relationships, but about their personalities. Be sure to also consider the significance of Nin's language becoming coarser like Miller's and what their reactions to her changing manner of speech suggests about the evolution of their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the many different lovers of Nin throughout the year of this journal (be sure to include June Mansfield). Discuss how their differences caused Nin to love each one differently, as well as how it was related to her need to find complete fulfillment.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)