|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what did Hugo begin to experiment in May of 1932?
2. How did Miller once feel about sex with Nin?
3. Who did Nin claim for her desire to end her journal?
4. In what way did Miller verbally express his love for Nin?
5. Over which lover did Nin began to feel unsure of in May?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nin's discussion about her femininity with Dr. Allendy.
2. How was Nin deluding herself in her relationship with Miller?
3. How did Miller and Nin's relationship start to change in June?
4. What was Dr. Allendy's analysis of Nin's relationships?
5. Describe the double standards in Miller and Nin's relationship.
6. How did Miller attempt to advance his relationship with Nin in May?
7. What was problematic about Nin's agreement to Eduardo in regards to her journal?
8. Why did Mansfield's return worry both Miller and Nin?
9. How did Miller tell Nin he felt about her husband?
10. Why did Miller tell Nin she was not beautiful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Nin from the beginning of her journal to the end, from her changes in personality to her changes in lovers. Trace her personal journey from the beginning to the end and what it revealed about the woman herself.
Essay Topic 2
How did her relationships with Miller and Mansfield cause Nin to begin questioning the reality around her at the end of her journal? What did this suggest about Nin's need to move on with her life, as well as how she had grown throughout the course of this year? What did this ultimately reveal about her feelings for both Miller and Mansfield?
Essay Topic 3
What were the implications of Nin's admitted self-censoring of this particular journal? Discuss how this affected not only the readers' perceptions of Nin and her lovers, but of how her censorship can qualify this work as an unedited journal.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)