|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Allendy tell Nin she should put on some weight?
2. In April of 1932, who did Nin claim she would always choose above her other lovers?
3. Why could Nin no longer feel comfortable in her own home in May?
4. How did Allendy and Nin end their final appointment together in June?
5. Why did Nin ultimately decide she needed analysis in April?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nin's discussion about her femininity with Dr. Allendy.
2. Why was Nin unhappy in her home and with Hugo by May?
3. What was problematic about Nin's agreement to Eduardo in regards to her journal?
4. Why was Nin firm about her commitment that she would always choose Hugo over Miller?
5. Describe the double standards in Miller and Nin's relationship.
6. What revitalized Hugo and Nin's relationship in May?
7. Why did Miller tell Nin she was not beautiful?
8. What is significant about Nin's realization that she had never given herself fully to another person?
9. How did Miller tell Nin he felt about her husband?
10. Why did Nin ultimately decide she needed analysis after her time with Miller and Perles at Louveciennes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences in Miller and Nin's languages and what it suggested about not only their relationships, but about their personalities. Be sure to also consider the significance of Nin's language becoming coarser like Miller's and what their reactions to her changing manner of speech suggests about the evolution of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Why was Allendy's relationship with Nin intensely problematic in regards to her personal life, his professional needs, and her need to straighten out her relationships? Discuss the problems that arose from Allendy treating a woman with psychoanalysis for whom he held great affection and attraction, as well as the possibility of Nin purposefully seducing him.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Nin from the beginning of her journal to the end, from her changes in personality to her changes in lovers. Trace her personal journey from the beginning to the end and what it revealed about the woman herself.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)