|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over love for whom did Nin disagree with Allendy?
2. What appeared to have been Miller's general attitude toward Nin and Mansfield in regards to his relationship with them?
3. Why did Nin stay with Miller and Perles in April of 1932?
4. With what activity did Nin express occasional shame?
5. In May, to where did Dr. Allendy accompany Nin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Miller hypocritical about relationships?
2. How did Miller attempt to advance his relationship with Nin in May?
3. Describe Nin's studio at Louveciennes.
4. What was Dr. Allendy's analysis of Nin's relationships?
5. How did Miller tell Nin he felt about her husband?
6. Why did Nin describe her journal as being an addiction?
7. In what ways did Perles Miller's love for Nin in June and how did she counter his claims?
8. Why did Mansfield's return worry both Miller and Nin?
9. How did Miller and Nin's relationship start to change in June?
10. Describe Nin's discussion about her femininity with Dr. Allendy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did her relationships with Miller and Mansfield cause Nin to begin questioning the reality around her at the end of her journal? What did this suggest about Nin's need to move on with her life, as well as how she had grown throughout the course of this year? What did this ultimately reveal about her feelings for both Miller and Mansfield?
Essay Topic 2
How did Nin's initial intimidation and fear of Miller infuse their relationship from beginning to end? How was this related to Miller's seduction of Nin, as well as his later inability to perform in bed? What does this ultimately reveal about Miller's more possessive, sexist tendencies?
Essay Topic 3
How was Nin's need for validation from many different people (usually men) in her life related to her neuroses, possible Oedipal complex, and her many different lovers? In what ways was this driving need for approval the basis of her relationship with Miller?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)