|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Miller admire most about Nin in March?
2. When analyzing Mansfield's stories, what doubts does Nin begin to feel?
3. Even after their meeting with Perles, how did Miller still view Nin?
4. Why did Eduardo claim that Nin could not be a lesbian?
5. What did Nin leave a dinner with Hugo to do in March of 1932?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Miller admit to feeling about Nin around March?
2. Describe Nin and Miller's first meeting.
3. Why did Eduardo suggest Nin see a psychoanalyst?
4. Why was Hugo worried about Nin's affair with Miller?
5. Why did Nin feel that Henry and Mansfield had caused her to lose her sense of logic?
6. Describe Nin's relationship with Eduardo.
7. How did Nin characterize her relationships with men to Eduardo and why?
8. How did Nin and Miller build their relationship in February?
9. Why was Nin obsessed with sexual fulfillment in October of 1931?
10. How did Nin and Miller's relationship evolve during March?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the implications of Nin's admitted self-censoring of this particular journal? Discuss how this affected not only the readers' perceptions of Nin and her lovers, but of how her censorship can qualify this work as an unedited journal.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nin's evolution as a writer from the beginning of her journal to the end of her affair with Miller, as well as how and why the events of that time shaped her as an artist.
Essay Topic 3
How was Nin's need for validation from many different people (usually men) in her life related to her neuroses, possible Oedipal complex, and her many different lovers? In what ways was this driving need for approval the basis of her relationship with Miller?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)