|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alone in his cell, Luke looks for a means of doing what?
2. Thrawn is confident that the Noghri will make contact with Leia and do what, as they were instructed?
3. As they get closer to the edge of what, Luke and Mara fight off predatory creatures?
4. It is the middle of the night on Kashyyyk and Leia is awake. As she gets up what happens?
5. The wookies Ralrra and __________ come to greet the landing party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the noghiri suddenly claim to change their attitude about Leia, in Chapter 25?
2. What would happen if Artoo were not in Chapter 26?
3. How does Mara show her feelings toward Luke, in Chapter 19?
4. How is Karrde trying to play both sides of the fence in Chapters 29 and 30?
5. Kashyyyk is intended to be a safe haven for Leia. Why is it unlikely that Leia would be attacked on Kashyyyk?
6. Explain why Han and Lando meet with a fellow smuggler, in Chapter 20, and what causes the smuggler to finally agree to help them.
7. Why does Thrawn opt not to over involve Joruus in his invasion plans, in Chapter 27?
8. What discovery does Luke make about himself, while trying to escape with Mara, Han and Artoo, and what does it mean for his future?
9. In Chapter 24, how does Karrde change his story with Han and Lando and what does it indicate about Karrde's personal alliances?
10. Although Kashyyyk is supposed to be a safe haven for Leia, she doesn't feel at ease there. Describe why Kashyyyk does not feel safe to Leia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Leia is put in danger, Han sends her to stay with the Wookies, in the care of his best friend and co-pilot, Chewbacca. Trust or the lack of it is also evidenced in other situations in the book. Choose one of the following relationships and describe, using examples from the book, why the two people trust or do not trust each other. Do you think their trust or lack of trust is justified? Why or why not?
Luke and Mara
Han and Lando
Mara and Karrde
Fey'lya and Ackbar
Luke and Leia
Han and Leia
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Mara and Luke. They are both Jedi, but their paths are very different. What things have shaped their lives? Also, how much do you feel that events in life shape who a person is? In other words, how much of a person's choices are predetermined when they are born and how much of it is based on what happens to them in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Heir to the Empire is a Star Wars novel and Star Wars is based upon far off galaxies and planets, as well as alien races. What are your personal opinions about the exploration of outer space? Do you believe that there are other planets that are inhabited by intelligent beings? If not, why not? If so, do you picture those beings looking like humans, or in some other form, like the Wookies and Noghiri in the book? Also, do you believe that aliens have ever visited or will ever visit Earth? If so, for what purpose?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)