|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luke is in the Jedi hibernation trance and is abruptly awakened by Artoo. As Luke wakes up he realizes that he is very close to what?
2. How does Luke's initial meeting with Karrde end?
3. As the stormtroopers are escorting Luke and Jade, they run into whom, playing the role of a prisoner?
4. To Karrde's dismay, Thrawn comments on what?
5. Karrde has Luke moved where, so Han and Lando won't see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery does Luke make about himself, while trying to escape with Mara, Han and Artoo, and what does it mean for his future?
2. How does Mara show her feelings toward Luke, in Chapter 19?
3. Kashyyyk is intended to be a safe haven for Leia. Why is it unlikely that Leia would be attacked on Kashyyyk?
4. How are Karrde's hands tied in Chapter 24, as far as what to do with Luke?
5. How is Luke conflicted internally in Chapters 27 and 28 and is his conflict justified?
6. Was it evil of Talon Karrde to imprison Luke? Why or why not?
7. Why does Karrde hesitate on taking Han and Lando up on their deal, in Chapter 22, and is it a good move on Karrde's part?
8. How do you feel about Luke's actions, in Chapters 15 and 16, as well as previous chapters? Do they seem like good actions for a Jedi master? Why or why not?
9. What would happen if Artoo were not in Chapter 26?
10. Based on what is known from Chapter 20 and earlier chapters, is Borsk Fey'lya a threat to the New Republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following and write a detailed essay about it.
1. How does the New Republic government work and how does it compare to governments of today?
2. What are the smugglers and former smugglers in the book like, as compared with modern criminals in the real world? What does that imply about the thoughts and feelings of criminals?
3. Mara claims to hate Luke, in the book. Do you feel that she acts as if that is true? Use examples from the book to back up your position.
Essay Topic 2
In the book, the empire is identified as evil and the rebellion, which later became the New Republic, is identified as good. Do you believe that people who evil, like Thrawn, always know that they are evil? In other words, might Thrawn and Pallaeon genuinely think that they are justified and that they are actually good, or would they agree that they are evil, but choose to act that way anyway? Be sure to use examples from both the book and real life to explain whether or not good and evil can be based on perspective.
Essay Topic 3
Heir to the Empire is a Star Wars novel and Star Wars is based upon far off galaxies and planets, as well as alien races. What are your personal opinions about the exploration of outer space? Do you believe that there are other planets that are inhabited by intelligent beings? If not, why not? If so, do you picture those beings looking like humans, or in some other form, like the Wookies and Noghiri in the book? Also, do you believe that aliens have ever visited or will ever visit Earth? If so, for what purpose?
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)