|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Karrde's dismay, Thrawn comments on what?
2. Karrde hesitates to take Han and Lando up on their deal because of what?
3. Luke and Artoo finally get loose from their cells and head outside to find what?
4. What is sabbac?
5. Han and Lando discuss plans to pay a visit to Talon Karrde as part of Han's earlier mission to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reason for and the process by which Luke winding up unconscious, in Chapter 18.
2. Artoo helps Luke, in Chapter 21. What escape plan do they put into action and is it a good one?
3. How does Mara show her feelings toward Luke, in Chapter 19?
4. What insights are gained into Mara's emotions towards Luke, in Chapter 22, when Mara is thinking about Luke while she is outside and Luke is escaping?
5. Why do the noghiri suddenly claim to change their attitude about Leia, in Chapter 25?
6. Why does Karrde hesitate on taking Han and Lando up on their deal, in Chapter 22, and is it a good move on Karrde's part?
7. Kashyyyk is intended to be a safe haven for Leia. Why is it unlikely that Leia would be attacked on Kashyyyk?
8. Even though the ysalimiri creatures block Luke's Jedi senses, in Chapter 21, how does Luke know what is going on and what does he hope to gain from circumstances?
9. What discovery does Luke make about himself, while trying to escape with Mara, Han and Artoo, and what does it mean for his future?
10. How do you feel about Luke's actions, in Chapters 15 and 16, as well as previous chapters? Do they seem like good actions for a Jedi master? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the book opens, Luke is torn between his obligations to the Jedi order and his concern for his sister, Leia and the fledgling government that he helped her start.
Part 1. What is more important, concern over family or obligations to others? Are there situations where either one could be appropriate? Why or why not?
Part 2. Is it ever possible to keep everyone happy at once? Why or why not?
Part 3. If you were in Luke's situation, what would you have done about Leia and why?
Essay Topic 2
Karrde insists that he wants no involvement with the New Republic or the Empire.
1.Based on what you know about him and about smuggling in general, do you believe that or do you think that everyone, especially someone of questionable morals, has their price and can be corrupted?
2.Do you believe that it is possible for corruption to be a two way street. In other words, even though Han is technically on the good side, do you think it would be corruption for him to try to sway Karrde for that side, or is it only corruption when it's done by evil people?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends, as it began, with a conflict between good and evil. Thrawn and Pallaeon ambush the shipyards and, soon, everyone is caught up in a battle. Based on that concept, answer any one of the following questions. Be sure to use examples from several points in the book, as well as real life, in your answers.
1. Do you believe that war is sometimes justified or do you think that there is always a peaceful way out of a disagreement?
2. Do you believe that good always triumphs over evil?
3. Do you believe that all is fair in love and war?
4. Do you believe that there is always a concrete right side and wrong side in a war?
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)