|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jade is attacked by a creature, after stopping for the night, Luke tries to scare it off with what result?
2. Luke and Artoo crash in the forest because of what?
3. Who is with Luke, when he awakes, after his initial meeting with Karrde?
4. To ensure that his crew does not say anything about Luke, accidentally, Karrde does what?
5. Thrawn insists on sending ______________ to aid in a search and rescue mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on what is known from Chapter 20 and earlier chapters, is Borsk Fey'lya a threat to the New Republic?
2. Kashyyyk is intended to be a safe haven for Leia. Why is it unlikely that Leia would be attacked on Kashyyyk?
3. In Chapter 24, how does Karrde change his story with Han and Lando and what does it indicate about Karrde's personal alliances?
4. What insights are gained into Mara's emotions towards Luke, in Chapter 22, when Mara is thinking about Luke while she is outside and Luke is escaping?
5. How is Luke conflicted internally in Chapters 27 and 28 and is his conflict justified?
6. Why does Luke choose to accept help from the Wild Karrde, in Chapter 18 and does he trust Talon Karrde? Why or why not?
7. What interesting connection does Han make between Thrawn and Han's wife, Leia, in Chapter 23, and what does it prompt Han and Lando to do?
8. How do you feel about Luke's actions, in Chapters 15 and 16, as well as previous chapters? Do they seem like good actions for a Jedi master? Why or why not?
9. In Chapter 26, Mara and Luke's history finally comes to light. How does Mara know Luke and why does she claim to hate him?
10. What happens between Luke and Mara when they first crash on the planet's surface and what does it seem to indicate about their inner feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends, as it began, with a conflict between good and evil. Thrawn and Pallaeon ambush the shipyards and, soon, everyone is caught up in a battle. Based on that concept, answer any one of the following questions. Be sure to use examples from several points in the book, as well as real life, in your answers.
1. Do you believe that war is sometimes justified or do you think that there is always a peaceful way out of a disagreement?
2. Do you believe that good always triumphs over evil?
3. Do you believe that all is fair in love and war?
4. Do you believe that there is always a concrete right side and wrong side in a war?
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following and write a detailed essay about it.
1. How does the New Republic government work and how does it compare to governments of today?
2. What are the smugglers and former smugglers in the book like, as compared with modern criminals in the real world? What does that imply about the thoughts and feelings of criminals?
3. Mara claims to hate Luke, in the book. Do you feel that she acts as if that is true? Use examples from the book to back up your position.
Essay Topic 3
In the book, the empire is identified as evil and the rebellion, which later became the New Republic, is identified as good. Do you believe that people who evil, like Thrawn, always know that they are evil? In other words, might Thrawn and Pallaeon genuinely think that they are justified and that they are actually good, or would they agree that they are evil, but choose to act that way anyway? Be sure to use examples from both the book and real life to explain whether or not good and evil can be based on perspective.
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)