|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luke is in the Jedi hibernation trance and is abruptly awakened by Artoo. As Luke wakes up he realizes that he is very close to what?
2. Alone in his cell, Luke looks for a means of doing what?
3. Karrde says that he did not really want to do what with Luke?
4. To Karrde's dismay, Thrawn comments on what?
5. As he prepares to go back into the Jedi induced trance, he calls out to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Karrde trying to play both sides of the fence in Chapters 29 and 30?
2. Why does Thrawn opt not to over involve Joruus in his invasion plans, in Chapter 27?
3. How are Karrde's hands tied in Chapter 24, as far as what to do with Luke?
4. How do you feel about Luke's actions, in Chapters 15 and 16, as well as previous chapters? Do they seem like good actions for a Jedi master? Why or why not?
5. How does Mara show her feelings toward Luke, in Chapter 19?
6. Explain why Han and Lando meet with a fellow smuggler, in Chapter 20, and what causes the smuggler to finally agree to help them.
7. Even though the ysalimiri creatures block Luke's Jedi senses, in Chapter 21, how does Luke know what is going on and what does he hope to gain from circumstances?
8. Why do the noghiri suddenly claim to change their attitude about Leia, in Chapter 25?
9. In Chapter 26, Mara and Luke's history finally comes to light. How does Mara know Luke and why does she claim to hate him?
10. What happens between Luke and Mara when they first crash on the planet's surface and what does it seem to indicate about their inner feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Luke and Mara crashed in the jungle, Luke could have escaped, but he chose to check on Mara. If you were Luke and you were stuck in the jungle with Mara, what would you have done? What motivates you to make that decision? Would it be based on what you know of Mara specifically, or would you do the same thing if you crashed with anyone?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Mara and Luke. They are both Jedi, but their paths are very different. What things have shaped their lives? Also, how much do you feel that events in life shape who a person is? In other words, how much of a person's choices are predetermined when they are born and how much of it is based on what happens to them in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's conflict over how and when to use his Jedi powers is a big part of the book. Describe, in detail, the events that take place after he and Mara leave the jungle. How does Luke use his powers to try to help them escape. Also, describe, in detail, what happens when Luke's powers are blocked by the ysalimiri as they are making their escape. What does Luke learn about his reliance on his powers, as a result. Also, what does that mean to you, in terms of having to rely on certain things in your life?
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)