|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thrawn insists on sending ______________ to aid in a search and rescue mission?
2. Using his weapon as the main form of attack, Luke takes down what?
3. Putting two and two together, after hearing a transmission fromt he Falcon, Thrawn deduces that Leia is what?
4. Karrde hesitates to take Han and Lando up on their deal because of what?
5. Jade obviously hates whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thrawn opt not to over involve Joruus in his invasion plans, in Chapter 27?
2. How are Karrde's hands tied in Chapter 24, as far as what to do with Luke?
3. How do Paellaeon's observations of and opinions of Thrawn, in Chapters 15 and 16, seem to affect his over all opinion of Thrawn and do you agree with it?
4. How is Luke conflicted internally in Chapters 27 and 28 and is his conflict justified?
5. Explain why Han and Lando meet with a fellow smuggler, in Chapter 20, and what causes the smuggler to finally agree to help them.
6. How is Karrde trying to play both sides of the fence in Chapters 29 and 30?
7. In Chapter 26, Mara and Luke's history finally comes to light. How does Mara know Luke and why does she claim to hate him?
8. Even though the ysalimiri creatures block Luke's Jedi senses, in Chapter 21, how does Luke know what is going on and what does he hope to gain from circumstances?
9. Based on what is known from Chapter 20 and earlier chapters, is Borsk Fey'lya a threat to the New Republic?
10. How does Mara show her feelings toward Luke, in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Luke and Mara crashed in the jungle, Luke could have escaped, but he chose to check on Mara. If you were Luke and you were stuck in the jungle with Mara, what would you have done? What motivates you to make that decision? Would it be based on what you know of Mara specifically, or would you do the same thing if you crashed with anyone?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's conflict over how and when to use his Jedi powers is a big part of the book. Describe, in detail, the events that take place after he and Mara leave the jungle. How does Luke use his powers to try to help them escape. Also, describe, in detail, what happens when Luke's powers are blocked by the ysalimiri as they are making their escape. What does Luke learn about his reliance on his powers, as a result. Also, what does that mean to you, in terms of having to rely on certain things in your life?
Essay Topic 3
Conflict is a major theme in the book. Both inner conflicts and conflicts between characters are evident. Choose one of the following conflicts and describe it in detail. What causes it? How does it progress throughout the book? Is it ever resolved?
Fey'lya and Ackbar
Mara and Luke
Luke's inner conflict over his Jedi responsibilities
Karrde's inner conflict over what to do with Luke
Leia's conflict with the Noghiri
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)