|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of creature is on Karrde's ship, affecting Luke's force powers?
2. What does Jade do when she discovers Luke is missing?
3. Jade has not slept in how many days, when the next message from Karrde comes?
4. Karrde's message is telling them to plan a ruse in order to fool whom?
5. In order to pull himself out of a tractor beam, Luke does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Luke conflicted internally in Chapters 27 and 28 and is his conflict justified?
2. What insights are gained into Mara's emotions towards Luke, in Chapter 22, when Mara is thinking about Luke while she is outside and Luke is escaping?
3. Based on what is known from Chapter 20 and earlier chapters, is Borsk Fey'lya a threat to the New Republic?
4. Even though the ysalimiri creatures block Luke's Jedi senses, in Chapter 21, how does Luke know what is going on and what does he hope to gain from circumstances?
5. What interesting connection does Han make between Thrawn and Han's wife, Leia, in Chapter 23, and what does it prompt Han and Lando to do?
6. What would happen if Artoo were not in Chapter 26?
7. Does Chewbacca respect Leia?
8. Explain why Han and Lando meet with a fellow smuggler, in Chapter 20, and what causes the smuggler to finally agree to help them.
9. Why does Karrde hesitate on taking Han and Lando up on their deal, in Chapter 22, and is it a good move on Karrde's part?
10. How do you feel about Luke's actions, in Chapters 15 and 16, as well as previous chapters? Do they seem like good actions for a Jedi master? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karrde insists that he wants no involvement with the New Republic or the Empire.
1.Based on what you know about him and about smuggling in general, do you believe that or do you think that everyone, especially someone of questionable morals, has their price and can be corrupted?
2.Do you believe that it is possible for corruption to be a two way street. In other words, even though Han is technically on the good side, do you think it would be corruption for him to try to sway Karrde for that side, or is it only corruption when it's done by evil people?
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following and write a detailed essay about it.
1. How does the New Republic government work and how does it compare to governments of today?
2. What are the smugglers and former smugglers in the book like, as compared with modern criminals in the real world? What does that imply about the thoughts and feelings of criminals?
3. Mara claims to hate Luke, in the book. Do you feel that she acts as if that is true? Use examples from the book to back up your position.
Essay Topic 3
Conflict is a major theme in the book. Both inner conflicts and conflicts between characters are evident. Choose one of the following conflicts and describe it in detail. What causes it? How does it progress throughout the book? Is it ever resolved?
Fey'lya and Ackbar
Mara and Luke
Luke's inner conflict over his Jedi responsibilities
Karrde's inner conflict over what to do with Luke
Leia's conflict with the Noghiri
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)