|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leia plans to check the Imperial archives for information on what?
2. Han and Chewbacca await the arrival of an old friend, who is in what profession?
3. On the Chimaera, C'baoth proclaims that they obtained how many of the mole miners they were seeking?
4. What is Karrde's first name?
5. Han and Leia plan to trick the Noghri aliens by making it look like they are about to go aboard the Falcon, but instead they sneak where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kashyyyk is intended to be a safe haven for Leia. Why is it unlikely that Leia would be attacked on Kashyyyk?
2. Was it evil of Talon Karrde to imprison Luke? Why or why not?
3. Why does Karrde hesitate on taking Han and Lando up on their deal, in Chapter 22, and is it a good move on Karrde's part?
4. How is Luke conflicted internally in Chapters 27 and 28 and is his conflict justified?
5. What is the general theme of the book, which is set up in Chapter 1, and how is that evidenced by the first chapter?
6. Although Kashyyyk is supposed to be a safe haven for Leia, she doesn't feel at ease there. Describe why Kashyyyk does not feel safe to Leia.
7. In Chapter 2, it is learned that the New Republic has set up its government on Coruscant, the planet that was the former home of the Empire. What sort of problems might that cause for the New Republic?
8. Suspicion is a major theme of Chapter 3. What are people in Chapter 3 suspicious of?
9. In Chapter 6, Chewbacca stays on the Falcon, while Han, Leia and Luke go to meet with the Bimms. Do you think the mission could have been completed without Chewbacca? Why or why not?
10. How do Wedge's feelings in Chapter 31 set up the final chapter of the book?
Essay Topic 1
As the book opens, Luke is torn between his obligations to the Jedi order and his concern for his sister, Leia and the fledgling government that he helped her start.
Part 1. What is more important, concern over family or obligations to others? Are there situations where either one could be appropriate? Why or why not?
Part 2. Is it ever possible to keep everyone happy at once? Why or why not?
Part 3. If you were in Luke's situation, what would you have done about Leia and why?
Essay Topic 2
Heir to the Empire is a Star Wars novel and Star Wars is based upon far off galaxies and planets, as well as alien races. What are your personal opinions about the exploration of outer space? Do you believe that there are other planets that are inhabited by intelligent beings? If not, why not? If so, do you picture those beings looking like humans, or in some other form, like the Wookies and Noghiri in the book? Also, do you believe that aliens have ever visited or will ever visit Earth? If so, for what purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Mara and Luke. They are both Jedi, but their paths are very different. What things have shaped their lives? Also, how much do you feel that events in life shape who a person is? In other words, how much of a person's choices are predetermined when they are born and how much of it is based on what happens to them in the world?
This section contains 2,700 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)