|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bimmisaari is a planet inhabited by individuals that wear what color clothing clothing and are half-covered with fur?
2. Han and Leia wonder why the Empire chose Bpfassh, when what is not too far away and might have made a better target?
3. Han and Lando devise a plan to program Threepio with what?
4. Han and Leia discover that they are surrounded by unusual looking gray creatures, wielding what sort of sticks?
5. When Karrde contacts the ship, in Chapter 3, he knows they are headed where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joruus C'Baoth like?
2. Explain why Han and Lando meet with a fellow smuggler, in Chapter 20, and what causes the smuggler to finally agree to help them.
3. Describe Mara's feelings toward Luke Skywalker, as shown in Chapter 3.
4. Kashyyyk is intended to be a safe haven for Leia. Why is it unlikely that Leia would be attacked on Kashyyyk?
5. How do Paellaeon's observations of and opinions of Thrawn, in Chapters 15 and 16, seem to affect his over all opinion of Thrawn and do you agree with it?
6. Once everyone is back aboard the Falcon, in Chapter 7, Han and Leia disagree over what to do next. Leia wants to go straight back to the planet's surface for negotiations, while Han makes the jump to hyperspace and says that they are all returning to Coruscant. Which point of view do you agree with and why?
7. Why couldn't Luke go with Han and Leia to Bpfassh and why did that make it strange that Leia was able to go?
8. Based on Chapter 1, which do you think is likely to win, the clearly established, yet nearly extinct, Empire, or the supposedly good, but new and not fully organized New Republic, and why?
9. Although Kashyyyk is supposed to be a safe haven for Leia, she doesn't feel at ease there. Describe why Kashyyyk does not feel safe to Leia.
10. How is Karrde trying to play both sides of the fence in Chapters 29 and 30?
Essay Topic 1
In the story, Borsk Fey'lya and Ackbar oppose each other in the government meetings, eventually leading to Fey'lya trying to get Ackbar tried for treason. Using examples from the story, answer the following questions in detail.
1. If Fey'lya and Ackbar were high ranking government officials in the real world, what present officials do you think they would be most like and why?
2. What, in general, do you think about corruption in government, in modern times? In other words, do you feel it is out of control and, if so, how might you start to fix things, if you could?
3. What are Fey'lya's major motivations for trying to get rid of Ackbar? Are there modern cases that are similar?
Essay Topic 2
Heir to the Empire is a Star Wars novel and Star Wars is based upon far off galaxies and planets, as well as alien races. What are your personal opinions about the exploration of outer space? Do you believe that there are other planets that are inhabited by intelligent beings? If not, why not? If so, do you picture those beings looking like humans, or in some other form, like the Wookies and Noghiri in the book? Also, do you believe that aliens have ever visited or will ever visit Earth? If so, for what purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from the book, one that you consider evil, one good and one neutral. Explain, in detail, what you think makes each person fit the category you chose for them. Be sure to use examples from the book to back up your choices.
This section contains 2,712 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)