|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Han and Leia wonder why the Empire chose Bpfassh, when what is not too far away and might have made a better target?
2. On the Chimaera, C'baoth proclaims that they obtained how many of the mole miners they were seeking?
3. Han and Leia plan to trick the Noghri aliens by making it look like they are about to go aboard the Falcon, but instead they sneak where?
4. What is the name of the evil organization mentioned in Chapter 1 that was defeated five years earlier?
5. When Pallaeon enters Thrawn's private quarters, he sees an elaborate art gallery that turns out to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Han and Leia's relationship affected by their roles in creating the new government?
2. Suspicion is a major theme of Chapter 3. What are people in Chapter 3 suspicious of?
3. What was Pallaeon's role in the battle with the Rebellion and how might this influence his decisions about the New Republic and the Imperials as the book progresses, based on Chapter 1?
4. How are Thrawn and Joruus' plans similar and different?
5. Based on everything you've read about Han through Chapter 10, how does he react to situations and do the other people in the book respect his opinions?
6. What are some of the ways that Leia's Jedi abilities come into play when everyone is on Bpfasshi, in Chapter 10?
7. In Chapter 2, Luke has a dream in which his former Jedi master, Obi-wan Kenobi, visits him. What is the purpose of Obi-wan's visit and how does it affect Luke?
8. Explain the major disagreement between Han and Fey'lya, in Chapter 5. Who do you think is correct?
9. How is Luke conflicted about his loyalties, again, in Chapter 14 and does he make the right choice about what to do?
10. According to evidence in Chapter 2, what is Leia's personality like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends, as it began, with a conflict between good and evil. Thrawn and Pallaeon ambush the shipyards and, soon, everyone is caught up in a battle. Based on that concept, answer any one of the following questions. Be sure to use examples from several points in the book, as well as real life, in your answers.
1. Do you believe that war is sometimes justified or do you think that there is always a peaceful way out of a disagreement?
2. Do you believe that good always triumphs over evil?
3. Do you believe that all is fair in love and war?
4. Do you believe that there is always a concrete right side and wrong side in a war?
Essay Topic 2
How do ethics shape the story? Which characters do unethical things and why? Also, do you think that any of their actions were justified, in order to achieve their end results? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
As the book opens, Luke is torn between his obligations to the Jedi order and his concern for his sister, Leia and the fledgling government that he helped her start.
Part 1. What is more important, concern over family or obligations to others? Are there situations where either one could be appropriate? Why or why not?
Part 2. Is it ever possible to keep everyone happy at once? Why or why not?
Part 3. If you were in Luke's situation, what would you have done about Leia and why?
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)