|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Dagobah, Luke looks for the former home of Yoda, Luke's what?
2. Han, Leia and Chewbacca arrive at the planet Nkllon and have to wait how long to see Lando?
3. What is the name of the friend that Hana nd Chewbacca are waiting to meet with, in chapter 2?
4. The Lieutenant tells Thrawn and Pallaeon that they are under attack by New Republic Assault Frigates and what sort of fighters?
5. Bimmisaari is a planet inhabited by individuals that wear what color clothing clothing and are half-covered with fur?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, it is learned that the New Republic has set up its government on Coruscant, the planet that was the former home of the Empire. What sort of problems might that cause for the New Republic?
2. Based on Chapter 1, which do you think is likely to win, the clearly established, yet nearly extinct, Empire, or the supposedly good, but new and not fully organized New Republic, and why?
3. Describe the role that Threepio plays in Chapter 14.
4. Based on everything you've read about Han through Chapter 10, how does he react to situations and do the other people in the book respect his opinions?
5. In Chapter 2, Luke has a dream in which his former Jedi master, Obi-wan Kenobi, visits him. What is the purpose of Obi-wan's visit and how does it affect Luke?
6. Describe Mara's feelings toward Luke Skywalker, as shown in Chapter 3.
7. Based on what you know from Chapters 1 through 8, what are Thrawn's major personality traits?
8. How does Joruus' message to Luke, in Chapter 13, affect Luke and what things should Luke realize, based on the message, that he does not?
9. What is the general theme of the book, which is set up in Chapter 1, and how is that evidenced by the first chapter?
10. How does Thrawn want to manipulate Joruus' focus, in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leia is sympathetic to the Noghiri that attacks her and asks to meet with him. Based on that, answer the following questions.
1. Do you feel that meeting with the Noghiri was a good thing for Leia to do? Why or why not?
2. If you were in Leia's exact position, would you choose to have the meeting like she did? Why or why not?
3. In real life, if you were attacked, would you want to avoid or confront your attacker? Explain your reasons in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the book, such as Luke, Leia and Mara, are Jedi. As Jedi, they have several powers. Choose one of the powers from the list below as your favorite Jedi power. Then, explain why it is your favorite and how you would use it, if you had it. Also, what are both the positive and negative implications of such a power?
1. sensing danger
2. sensing the emotions of those around you
3. sending telepathic messages to others
4. super strength
5. super speed
6. influencing the actions of others
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Borsk Fey'lya and Ackbar oppose each other in the government meetings, eventually leading to Fey'lya trying to get Ackbar tried for treason. Using examples from the story, answer the following questions in detail.
1. If Fey'lya and Ackbar were high ranking government officials in the real world, what present officials do you think they would be most like and why?
2. What, in general, do you think about corruption in government, in modern times? In other words, do you feel it is out of control and, if so, how might you start to fix things, if you could?
3. What are Fey'lya's major motivations for trying to get rid of Ackbar? Are there modern cases that are similar?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)