|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Han and Leia are able to disable the fake Falcon, as what is jettisoned?
2. Luke decides to prepare his X-wing for a trip to where, after Han and Leia leave him?
3. Leia plans to check the Imperial archives for information on what?
4. What is the guardian's first name?
5. What is the name of the evil organization mentioned in Chapter 1 that was defeated five years earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. In your opinion, should Luke's Loyalty lie with Leia and the New Republic or with the Jedi, based on information learned from Chapters 1 and 2?
2. Describe the role that Threepio plays in Chapter 14.
3. Based on Chapter 1, which do you think is likely to win, the clearly established, yet nearly extinct, Empire, or the supposedly good, but new and not fully organized New Republic, and why?
4. What is a ysalamiri and what does it do?
5. How is Han and Leia's relationship affected by their roles in creating the new government?
6. In Chapter 2, Luke has a dream in which his former Jedi master, Obi-wan Kenobi, visits him. What is the purpose of Obi-wan's visit and how does it affect Luke?
7. How is Luke conflicted about his loyalties, again, in Chapter 14 and does he make the right choice about what to do?
8. What are the unusual occurrences, when Leia and Han go to meet with the Bimms?
9. As the last surviving high Imperial official, what are some of the good and bad things that Thrawn might have to deal with, based on information in Chapter 1?
10. Why couldn't Luke go with Han and Leia to Bpfassh and why did that make it strange that Leia was able to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, Borsk Fey'lya and Ackbar oppose each other in the government meetings, eventually leading to Fey'lya trying to get Ackbar tried for treason. Using examples from the story, answer the following questions in detail.
1. If Fey'lya and Ackbar were high ranking government officials in the real world, what present officials do you think they would be most like and why?
2. What, in general, do you think about corruption in government, in modern times? In other words, do you feel it is out of control and, if so, how might you start to fix things, if you could?
3. What are Fey'lya's major motivations for trying to get rid of Ackbar? Are there modern cases that are similar?
Essay Topic 2
Han, a former smuggler, plays a major role in the story. Answer the following questions about Han, using examples to back up your answers.
1. Is Han an ethical person, even though he used to smuggle and is still willing to deal with his smuggling contacts?
2. What things, such as love of adventure or love of family, motivate Han?
3. Do you feel that Han would have a different personality or make different decisions, had he never been a smuggler?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends, as it began, with a conflict between good and evil. Thrawn and Pallaeon ambush the shipyards and, soon, everyone is caught up in a battle. Based on that concept, answer any one of the following questions. Be sure to use examples from several points in the book, as well as real life, in your answers.
1. Do you believe that war is sometimes justified or do you think that there is always a peaceful way out of a disagreement?
2. Do you believe that good always triumphs over evil?
3. Do you believe that all is fair in love and war?
4. Do you believe that there is always a concrete right side and wrong side in a war?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)