|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luke decides to prepare his X-wing for a trip to where, after Han and Leia leave him?
2. Han, Leia and Chewbacca arrive at the planet Nkllon and have to wait how long to see Lando?
3. Who feels that Leia's party's departure sends a bad message to the Bimms, with whom they are seeking an alliance?
4. Luke goes to look around the Tower of what, where the planetary council is housed?
5. Who is the commander in chief of the New Republic fleet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Luke conflicted about his loyalties, again, in Chapter 14 and does he make the right choice about what to do?
2. What is the general theme of the book, which is set up in Chapter 1, and how is that evidenced by the first chapter?
3. Describe the New Republic Council's reaction to Han and Leia's hasty retreat from Bimmisaari.
4. According to evidence in Chapter 2, what is Leia's personality like?
5. How does Thrawn want to manipulate Joruus' focus, in Chapter 13?
6. In Chapter 6, Chewbacca stays on the Falcon, while Han, Leia and Luke go to meet with the Bimms. Do you think the mission could have been completed without Chewbacca? Why or why not?
7. What is Joruus C'Baoth like?
8. Why couldn't Luke go with Han and Leia to Bpfassh and why did that make it strange that Leia was able to go?
9. What was Pallaeon's role in the battle with the Rebellion and how might this influence his decisions about the New Republic and the Imperials as the book progresses, based on Chapter 1?
10. Based on Chapter 1, which do you think is likely to win, the clearly established, yet nearly extinct, Empire, or the supposedly good, but new and not fully organized New Republic, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heir to the Empire is a Star Wars novel and Star Wars is based upon far off galaxies and planets, as well as alien races. What are your personal opinions about the exploration of outer space? Do you believe that there are other planets that are inhabited by intelligent beings? If not, why not? If so, do you picture those beings looking like humans, or in some other form, like the Wookies and Noghiri in the book? Also, do you believe that aliens have ever visited or will ever visit Earth? If so, for what purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the book, such as Luke, Leia and Mara, are Jedi. As Jedi, they have several powers. Choose one of the powers from the list below as your favorite Jedi power. Then, explain why it is your favorite and how you would use it, if you had it. Also, what are both the positive and negative implications of such a power?
1. sensing danger
2. sensing the emotions of those around you
3. sending telepathic messages to others
4. super strength
5. super speed
6. influencing the actions of others
Essay Topic 3
Choose three characters from the book, one that you consider evil, one good and one neutral. Explain, in detail, what you think makes each person fit the category you chose for them. Be sure to use examples from the book to back up your choices.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)