|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thrawn's ultimate goal, as he tells Pallaeon, is to destroy what?
2. Han gets down to business with Lando, explaining that they need to create a ruse to do what?
3. Who pays a visit to Luke and Leia, during Leia's Jedi training?
4. Han comes in and tells them that they just made the jump to hyperspace and are headed where?
5. Why does Han tell Luke that Luke cannot join them on their trip to Bpfassh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general theme of the book, which is set up in Chapter 1, and how is that evidenced by the first chapter?
2. Describe the role that Threepio plays in Chapter 14.
3. How does Joruus' message to Luke, in Chapter 13, affect Luke and what things should Luke realize, based on the message, that he does not?
4. In Chapter 2, Luke has a dream in which his former Jedi master, Obi-wan Kenobi, visits him. What is the purpose of Obi-wan's visit and how does it affect Luke?
5. What are the unusual occurrences, when Leia and Han go to meet with the Bimms?
6. How is Han and Leia's relationship affected by their roles in creating the new government?
7. What foreshadowing event does Luke experience on Dagobah and how might it affect the story later on?
8. What is a ysalamiri and what does it do?
9. Based on Chapter 1, which do you think is likely to win, the clearly established, yet nearly extinct, Empire, or the supposedly good, but new and not fully organized New Republic, and why?
10. How does Thrawn want to manipulate Joruus' focus, in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Good versus evil is a major theme in the book. It could also be considered as right versus wrong. List three examples from the story of those themes. Also, discuss how those themes compare to at least one incident of good versus evil or right versus wrong in your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Heir to the Empire is a Star Wars novel and Star Wars is based upon far off galaxies and planets, as well as alien races. What are your personal opinions about the exploration of outer space? Do you believe that there are other planets that are inhabited by intelligent beings? If not, why not? If so, do you picture those beings looking like humans, or in some other form, like the Wookies and Noghiri in the book? Also, do you believe that aliens have ever visited or will ever visit Earth? If so, for what purpose?
Essay Topic 3
When Leia is put in danger, Han sends her to stay with the Wookies, in the care of his best friend and co-pilot, Chewbacca. Trust or the lack of it is also evidenced in other situations in the book. Choose one of the following relationships and describe, using examples from the book, why the two people trust or do not trust each other. Do you think their trust or lack of trust is justified? Why or why not?
Luke and Mara
Han and Lando
Mara and Karrde
Fey'lya and Ackbar
Luke and Leia
Han and Leia
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)