Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bimmisaari is a planet inhabited by individuals that wear what color clothing clothing and are half-covered with fur?
2. Han and Leia wonder why the Empire chose Bpfassh, when what is not too far away and might have made a better target?
3. Han and Lando devise a plan to program Threepio with what?
4. Han and Leia discover that they are surrounded by unusual looking gray creatures, wielding what sort of sticks?
5. When Karrde contacts the ship, in Chapter 3, he knows they are headed where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joruus C'Baoth like?
2. Explain why Han and Lando meet with a fellow smuggler, in Chapter 20, and what causes the smuggler to finally agree to help them.
3. Describe Mara's feelings toward Luke Skywalker, as shown in Chapter 3.
4. Kashyyyk is intended to be a safe haven for Leia. Why is it unlikely that Leia would be attacked on Kashyyyk?
5. How do Paellaeon's observations of and opinions of Thrawn, in Chapters 15 and 16, seem to affect his over all opinion of Thrawn and do you agree with it?
6. Once everyone is back aboard the Falcon, in Chapter 7, Han and Leia disagree over what to do next. Leia wants to go straight back to the planet's surface for negotiations, while Han makes the jump to hyperspace and says that they are all returning to Coruscant. Which point of view do you agree with and why?
7. Why couldn't Luke go with Han and Leia to Bpfassh and why did that make it strange that Leia was able to go?
8. Based on Chapter 1, which do you think is likely to win, the clearly established, yet nearly extinct, Empire, or the supposedly good, but new and not fully organized New Republic, and why?
9. Although Kashyyyk is supposed to be a safe haven for Leia, she doesn't feel at ease there. Describe why Kashyyyk does not feel safe to Leia.
10. How is Karrde trying to play both sides of the fence in Chapters 29 and 30?
The book ends, as it began, with a conflict between good and evil. Thrawn and Pallaeon ambush the shipyards and, soon, everyone is caught up in a battle. Based on that concept, answer any one of the following questions. Be sure to use examples from several points in the book, as well as real life, in your answers.
1. Do you believe that war is sometimes justified or do you think that there is always a peaceful way out of a disagreement?
2. Do you believe that good always triumphs over evil?
3. Do you believe that all is fair in love and war?
4. Do you believe that there is always a concrete right side and wrong side in a war?
Pick one of the following and write a detailed essay about it.
1. How does the New Republic government work and how does it compare to governments of today?
2. What are the smugglers and former smugglers in the book like, as compared with modern criminals in the real world? What does that imply about the thoughts and feelings of criminals?
3. Mara claims to hate Luke, in the book. Do you feel that she acts as if that is true? Use examples from the book to back up your position.
Conflict is a major theme in the book. Both inner conflicts and conflicts between characters are evident. Choose one of the following conflicts and describe it in detail. What causes it? How does it progress throughout the book? Is it ever resolved?
Fey'lya and Ackbar
Mara and Luke
Luke's inner conflict over his Jedi responsibilities
Karrde's inner conflict over what to do with Luke
Leia's conflict with the Noghiri
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)