|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luke decides to prepare his X-wing for a trip to where, after Han and Leia leave him?
2. Han, Leia and Chewbacca arrive at the planet Nkllon and have to wait how long to see Lando?
3. When Karrde contacts the ship, in Chapter 3, he knows they are headed where?
4. Using the diversion in the marketplace, Han uses his comlink to call whom?
5. Han makes a plan to have Leia create a diversion by grabbing what from a local vendor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mara's reaction to Karrde's mention of Darth Vader, in Chapter 3.
2. Describe the New Republic Council's reaction to Han and Leia's hasty retreat from Bimmisaari.
3. Why couldn't Luke go with Han and Leia to Bpfassh and why did that make it strange that Leia was able to go?
4. Describe Mara's feelings toward Luke Skywalker, as shown in Chapter 3.
5. How does Thrawn want to manipulate Joruus' focus, in Chapter 13?
6. According to evidence in Chapter 2, what is Leia's personality like?
7. Based on everything you've read about Han through Chapter 10, how does he react to situations and do the other people in the book respect his opinions?
8. What is the general theme of the book, which is set up in Chapter 1, and how is that evidenced by the first chapter?
9. Describe Lando's reaction when Han, Leia and Luke show up to visit him at Nkllon. What does it say to you about Lando's personality?
10. Based on Chapter 1, which do you think is likely to win, the clearly established, yet nearly extinct, Empire, or the supposedly good, but new and not fully organized New Republic, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following and write a detailed essay about it.
1. How does the New Republic government work and how does it compare to governments of today?
2. What are the smugglers and former smugglers in the book like, as compared with modern criminals in the real world? What does that imply about the thoughts and feelings of criminals?
3. Mara claims to hate Luke, in the book. Do you feel that she acts as if that is true? Use examples from the book to back up your position.
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Borsk Fey'lya and Ackbar oppose each other in the government meetings, eventually leading to Fey'lya trying to get Ackbar tried for treason. Using examples from the story, answer the following questions in detail.
1. If Fey'lya and Ackbar were high ranking government officials in the real world, what present officials do you think they would be most like and why?
2. What, in general, do you think about corruption in government, in modern times? In other words, do you feel it is out of control and, if so, how might you start to fix things, if you could?
3. What are Fey'lya's major motivations for trying to get rid of Ackbar? Are there modern cases that are similar?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's conflict over how and when to use his Jedi powers is a big part of the book. Describe, in detail, the events that take place after he and Mara leave the jungle. How does Luke use his powers to try to help them escape. Also, describe, in detail, what happens when Luke's powers are blocked by the ysalimiri as they are making their escape. What does Luke learn about his reliance on his powers, as a result. Also, what does that mean to you, in terms of having to rely on certain things in your life?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)