|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
2. Which of the following best compares the nature of Tesman's book to the nature of Lovborg's book?
3. Why might Tesman not get the professorship he was promised?
4. What item in Hedda and Tesman's house has been moved out of view in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
5. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brought Lovborg back to town?
2. Who was Hedda Gabler before she married Tesman? What was her life like?
3. What does Hedda tell Lovborg that other people may think if Lovborg continued to refuse to drink at all?
4. What worry of Tesman's does Lovborg quickly alleviate?
5. In Act 1 of Hedda Gabler, what does Hedda say about her piano? What does Tesman suggest in reply, and how is his suggestion received?
6. What does Hedda do to Brack when he approaches at the very beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
7. What do Julle and Tesman allude to when they talk about Hedda "filling out"? How does Hedda feel about it?
8. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for her asking him all the details of his dissolute life when they knew each other previously?
9. What does Hedda reveal to Brack about the house that Tesman does not know?
10. What reason does Hedda give Tesman for burning the manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Henrik Ibsen.
Part 1: Write a brief biography of Henrik Ibsen. When and where did he live? What was his life like?
Part 2: What was the society that Ibsen lived in like? What parts of it influenced his writing? Did he have any message about societal norms that he tried to express in his plays?
Part 3: Discuss Henrik Ibsen's works. Was his work well received? What reaction did the society of his time have to his works? Was his work influential in theater as we know it? How?
Essay Topic 2
For the title character in HEDDA GABLER, having power and influence over someone is of immense importance.
Part 1: Describe Hedda's need for power or influence. Why did she feel it? Was she particular about who she influenced? Was she well meaning in her attempts to influence? Was she responsible with her power?
Part 2: Write an essay about the people in your life that you have influence over and those that have power over you. Discuss the roles of responsibility and power in each relationship. What happens when power is not handled responsibly? What are some of the outcomes of the power or influence in your life and in the life of those around you?
Essay Topic 3
In the play HEDDA GABLER, the character of Julle is seen only briefly, but she is mentioned often and has several important roles to play. Write an essay about the need for her character in the play.
Part 1: What many purposes does her character have? Ibsen needs to use her to achieve several things. What are they? Who does her character help to contrast? Who does her character add depth to? Who does she help define?
Part 2: Discuss the importance in general of minor characters that don't play a major role in the plot, and what they often are there to do. Does realism need them more than other genres? What complications for the writer might they help solve?
This section contains 3,393 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)