|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item in Hedda and Tesman's house has been moved out of view in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
2. Which answer best describes Tesman's perception of Hedda?
3. What does Lovborg say about his recently published book?
4. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
5. What did Julle buy in honor of Hedda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hedda reveal to Brack about the house that Tesman does not know?
2. The morning after the party at Brack's house, what is the situation like at the Tesman household?
3. How does the title character in HEDDA GABLER feel about motherhood? Do others know or expect her to feel this way?
4. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted he did with the manuscript? Why does he tell her this?
5. When Lovborg leaves at the end of Act 3 what does Hedda do? What does she say while she does it?
6. Where did Tesman find Lovborg's manuscript and why didn't he return it at once?
7. What do Julle and Tesman allude to when they talk about Hedda "filling out"? How does Hedda feel about it?
8. What is the one trait of Mrs. Elvsted's that Hedda remembers and characterizes her by?
9. In Act 1 of Hedda Gabler, what does Hedda say about her piano? What does Tesman suggest in reply, and how is his suggestion received?
10. Why does Lovborg not accompany Mrs. Elvsted home as promised the day before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about suicide.
Part 1: Discuss different views of someone taking their own life. Has it ever been acceptable or condoned? Do different cultures see it differently? In what circumstances has it been seen as acceptable or even advisable?
Part 2: What are your own views on someone taking their own life? Is there any circumstance that it is understandable or ok?
Part 3: In the play HEDDA GABLER, is Hedda's final act a liberating act of courage or a cowardly avoidance? How does Hedda see it?
Essay Topic 2
In the play HEDDA GABLER, the character of Julle is seen only briefly, but she is mentioned often and has several important roles to play. Write an essay about the need for her character in the play.
Part 1: What many purposes does her character have? Ibsen needs to use her to achieve several things. What are they? Who does her character help to contrast? Who does her character add depth to? Who does she help define?
Part 2: Discuss the importance in general of minor characters that don't play a major role in the plot, and what they often are there to do. Does realism need them more than other genres? What complications for the writer might they help solve?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Henrik Ibsen.
Part 1: Write a brief biography of Henrik Ibsen. When and where did he live? What was his life like?
Part 2: What was the society that Ibsen lived in like? What parts of it influenced his writing? Did he have any message about societal norms that he tried to express in his plays?
Part 3: Discuss Henrik Ibsen's works. Was his work well received? What reaction did the society of his time have to his works? Was his work influential in theater as we know it? How?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)