|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tesman invite over to their house for evening in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
2. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
3. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
4. In Act 2, who are the two people expected to be visiting the Tesman home in the evening?
5. In Act 2, why does Julle send word she will not be visiting Hedda and Tesman that evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hedda do to Brack when he approaches at the very beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
2. In Act 4, what does Brack tell everyone at the Tesman household happened to Lovborg? What did he tell Hedda was the truth when he was alone with her?
3. What is the main question of importance that Lovborg has for Hedda when they are talking in private?
4. In the beginning of Act 2, shortly after discussing their financial constraints, what does Tesman return home with?
5. What is Mrs. Elvsted's state of mind when she first enters the Tesman household? Why?
6. The morning after the party at Brack's house, what is the situation like at the Tesman household?
7. What leverage does Brack acquire over Hedda?
8. Hedda does two things in Act 1 that make Julle uneasy. What are they, and why did they make Julle uneasy?
9. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he sees her the morning after the party at Brack's?
10. Why didn't Tesman tell anyone he had Lovborg's manuscript? What were his plans with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the title character in HEDDA GABLER, having power and influence over someone is of immense importance.
Part 1: Describe Hedda's need for power or influence. Why did she feel it? Was she particular about who she influenced? Was she well meaning in her attempts to influence? Was she responsible with her power?
Part 2: Write an essay about the people in your life that you have influence over and those that have power over you. Discuss the roles of responsibility and power in each relationship. What happens when power is not handled responsibly? What are some of the outcomes of the power or influence in your life and in the life of those around you?
Essay Topic 2
In the play HEDDA GABLER, Lovborg is inspired by Mrs. Elvsted and reforms his life for her. Despite this, he says she is "stupid" in interpersonal matters that he discusses freely with Hedda. Indeed, Mrs. Elvsted, like Tesman, seems blind to much of the social happenings going on around her. Write an essay about these four characters and discuss how they inspire and motivate each other.
Part 1: Why is Hedda inspired by Lovborg? Why does Hedda long for influence over Lovborg but doesn't care for the influence she has over Tesman? How are Hedda and Lovborg alike? How are they different?
Part 2: How are Mrs. Elvsted and Tesman alike? In what way is this a strength and in what way are their similarities a weakness?
Part 3: Why is Lovborg inspired by Mrs. Elvsted, but Hedda is not inspired by Tesman? Is the difference in Lovborg and Hedda or in Mrs. Elvsted and Tesman?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Henrik Ibsen.
Part 1: Write a brief biography of Henrik Ibsen. When and where did he live? What was his life like?
Part 2: What was the society that Ibsen lived in like? What parts of it influenced his writing? Did he have any message about societal norms that he tried to express in his plays?
Part 3: Discuss Henrik Ibsen's works. Was his work well received? What reaction did the society of his time have to his works? Was his work influential in theater as we know it? How?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)