|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda threaten to do to Berte in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Send her to care for Rina.
(b) Visit her every day.
(c) Cut her hair off.
(d) Dismiss her.
2. What part of Mrs Elvsted does Hedda find "irritating"?
(a) Her mannerisms.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Her manner of speaking.
(d) Her hair.
3. Who are the first two characters to appear in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Tesman and Berte.
(b) Jorgen and Hedda.
(c) Julle and Tesman.
(d) Julle and Berte.
4. What is the relationship between Tesman and Julle in the play, HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Close friends.
(c) Nephew and aunt.
5. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
(a) Unimportant and temporary.
(b) A disappointment and boring.
(c) Exciting and adventurous.
(d) Comfortable and supportive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Jorgen Tesman?
2. What did Julle buy in honor of Hedda?
3. What does Mrs Elvsted ask of Tesman in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
4. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
5. What two events does Tesman accidentally schedule for the same time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hedda tell Lovborg that finally does have an impact and he starts to drink? Why does it affect him so?
2. What does Mrs. Elvsted liken the manuscript to?
3. What does Hedda tell Lovborg that other people may think if Lovborg continued to refuse to drink at all?
4. What is the main question of importance that Lovborg has for Hedda when they are talking in private?
5. How does Lovborg feel about Hedda being married to Tesman?
6. Why didn't Tesman tell anyone he had Lovborg's manuscript? What were his plans with it?
7. What do Tesman and Hedda discuss at the end of Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER that causes severe disappointment to Hedda?
8. Tesman foresees many months of work to reconstruct the manuscript. How does he recommend they all arrange themselves while the work is going on?
9. How do Hedda and Aunt Julle get along?
10. Who was Hedda Gabler before she married Tesman? What was her life like?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)