|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the book Tesman is working on about?
(a) Domestic crafts of Brabant in the Middle Ages.
(b) Cultural norms of the modern age.
(c) The role of religion in shaping the future.
(d) The importance of family in society.
2. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
(a) Seeing the influence of small actions.
(b) Foreseeing the direction society will take.
(c) Collecting and arranging.
(d) Making sense of confusing information.
3. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(a) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
(b) Cautiously agree to go.
(d) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
4. What are Mrs Elvsted's plans for the future?
(a) None, other than to be near Ejlert Lovborg.
(b) Stay in town as long as her husband will agree to.
(c) Write and publish a book of her own.
(d) Start formal divorce proceedings.
5. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
(a) Exciting and adventurous.
(b) Unimportant and temporary.
(c) Comfortable and supportive.
(d) A disappointment and boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing that Mrs Elvsted knows about the woman whose shadow stands between her and Lovborg?
2. What two events does Tesman accidentally schedule for the same time?
3. Which of the following best compares the nature of Tesman's book to the nature of Lovborg's book?
4. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
5. What part of Mrs Elvsted does Hedda find "irritating"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for her asking him all the details of his dissolute life when they knew each other previously?
2. Why does Lovborg not accompany Mrs. Elvsted home as promised the day before?
3. At the end of Act 1, what is the one thing Hedda says she still has one thing to amuse herself with?
4. How do Hedda and Aunt Julle get along?
5. What does Mrs. Elvsted liken the manuscript to?
6. What is the financial situation of the newly married couple?
7. How does the title character in HEDDA GABLER feel about motherhood? Do others know or expect her to feel this way?
8. What does Tesman say about the unpublished manuscript that Lovborg read to him at Brack's party?
9. What does Hedda learn from Mrs.1Elvsted when they speak alone in Act I of Hedda Gabler that Mrs Elvsted had concealed from Tesman?
10. In Act 1 of Hedda Gabler, Hedda and Tesman have just returned from a trip. Where were they, and what did they do?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)