|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two events does Tesman accidentally schedule for the same time?
(a) Lovborg's visit and Brack's dinner.
(b) Brack's party and his wife's birthday.
(c) Lovborg's visit and a visit from his aunt.
(d) Mrs Elvsted's visit and work for his next book.
2. What does Tesman ask of Hedda in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) To help him with his work.
(b) To try and get out in society.
(c) To be less distant with Julle.
(d) To show her affection towards him.
3. What kept Hedda and Tesman up late the night of their return?
(a) They were celebrating the return to their new home.
(b) Berte was was having a party next door.
(c) Julle was ill.
(d) Hedda needed everything unpacked and put away in a particular manner.
4. Which of the following best compares the nature of Tesman's book to the nature of Lovborg's book?
(a) The scholarly to the chaotic.
(b) The useful to the superfluous.
(c) The mundane to the visionary.
(d) The truth to the fanciful.
5. How is Lovborg's book received by the public?
(a) It is ridiculed.
(b) It becomes the most popular novel of the time.
(c) It is disputed by the academic community.
(d) It is very well received and called 'a sensation'.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hedda tell Brack about her trip with Tesman?
2. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
3. What does Tesman focus on when he talks about the future?
4. Who are the first two characters to appear in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
5. What does Lovborg want Tesman to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. The morning after the party at Brack's house, what is the situation like at the Tesman household?
2. Describe the incident with the hat in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler.
3. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted he did with the manuscript? Why does he tell her this?
4. In the beginning of Act 2, shortly after discussing their financial constraints, what does Tesman return home with?
5. What does Hedda tell Lovborg that other people may think if Lovborg continued to refuse to drink at all?
6. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he sees her the morning after the party at Brack's?
7. What does Hedda mean at the end of Act 2 when she tells Mrs. Elvsted that at ten o'clock Lovborg will return "with vine leaves in his hair"?
8. What do Julle and Tesman allude to when they talk about Hedda "filling out"? How does Hedda feel about it?
9. Despite it's great reception, what does Lovborg say about the book of his that was recently published? What about the next one?
10. When Brack adds his own account of the night of the party to Hedda, where does he reveal that Lovborg has gone that Tesman was unaware of?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)