|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
(a) Brack tells Hedda a secret.
(b) Brack is uncomfortable and makes awkward conversation.
(c) Brack is pleased and says he would have come earlier.
(d) Brack apologizes for the intrusion and withdraws.
2. How does Hedda feel about the house she lives in?
(a) She thinks it smells of old ladies and death.
(b) She loves the way the house has been furnished.
(c) She thinks the house is plain and depressing.
(d) She thinks the house will be good for raising a family.
3. In the second act, what do we learn about the hat incident?
(a) That Hedda is sorry she said anything.
(b) That Julle is still offended.
(c) That Hedda was jealous of the hat.
(d) Hedda only pretended she thought the hat belonged to the maid.
4. What did Tesman tell Brack about Tesman and Hedda's trip?
(a) They spent every moment together.
(b) They missed their home terribly.
(c) It was long and difficult.
(d) Hedda had a very good time.
5. What are people suggesting when they note Hedda has "filled out" during her travels?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she is letting herself go.
(c) That she doesn't love her husband.
(d) That she lives a life of leisure.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lovborg write his book?
2. What does the letter sent in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLE propose to do?
3. What item in Hedda and Tesman's house has been moved out of view in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
4. How is Lovborg's book received by the public?
5. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Tesman find Lovborg's manuscript and why didn't he return it at once?
2. What does Tesman say about the unpublished manuscript that Lovborg read to him at Brack's party?
3. How does Lovborg feel about Hedda being married to Tesman?
4. What does Lovborg say the only option open to him now is? How does Hedda respond?
5. When Julle and Tesman discuss Hedda, what do they usually focus on?
6. Why does Lovborg not accompany Mrs. Elvsted home as promised the day before?
7. Other than her dialogue, what are Hedda's two final actions in the play HEDDA GABLER?
8. What does Mrs. Elvsted liken the manuscript to?
9. In Act 1 of Hedda Gabler, what does Hedda say about her piano? What does Tesman suggest in reply, and how is his suggestion received?
10. In Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER, Hedda tells Lovborg that her not daring to shoot him when their previous friendship ended was an act of cowardice, for fear of a scandal, but that it was not her greatest act of cowardice that evening. What do you think she is alluding to as her greatest act of cowardice?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)