|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes Mrs Elvsted's feelings regarding Lovborg?
(a) Proud, sure, and boastful.
(b) Fearful, thwarted, and rancorous.
(c) Protective, worried, and adoring.
(d) Skeptical and cautious.
2. What does Tesman focus on when he talks about the future?
(a) His career.
(b) Spending time with his wife.
(c) Raising a family.
(d) Making a fortune.
3. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
(a) Rina owes Berte money.
(b) Berte is Rina's poor relative from the country.
(d) Berte nursed Rina for several years.
4. How were the furnishings in the house paid for?
(a) Hedda's inheritance paid for everything.
(b) Julle mortgaged her annuity to pay for the furnishings.
(c) Tesman could afford the furnishings with his salary.
(d) Berte lent Tesman the money to buy them.
5. What does Hedda want at the end of 1Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Peace from the world to be with her family.
(b) A salon, a footman, and a horse.
(c) To be reunited with old friends.
(d) A child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best compares the nature of Tesman's book to the nature of Lovborg's book?
2. What state of mind is Mrs Elvsted in when she arrives?
3. What would best characterize the way Hedda greets Julle?
4. Why does Hedda tell Brack is the reason she told Tesman she wanted to live in this particular house?
5. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Tesman tell anyone he had Lovborg's manuscript? What were his plans with it?
2. In Act 1 of Hedda Gabler, Hedda and Tesman have just returned from a trip. Where were they, and what did they do?
3. What is the financial situation of the newly married couple?
4. What is the only thing that Mrs. Elvsted knows about the woman from Lovborg's past?
5. How did Hedda enjoy her honeymoon with Tesman?
6. What does Hedda give Lovborg as a keepsake as he leaves her house in Act 3?
7. Where did Tesman find Lovborg's manuscript and why didn't he return it at once?
8. When Julle and Tesman discuss Hedda, what do they usually focus on?
9. When Brack adds his own account of the night of the party to Hedda, where does he reveal that Lovborg has gone that Tesman was unaware of?
10. What does Tesman ask of Hedda shortly after Julle leaves in Act 1? What does Hedda reply?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)