|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
(a) Brack is uncomfortable and makes awkward conversation.
(b) Brack tells Hedda a secret.
(c) Brack apologizes for the intrusion and withdraws.
(d) Brack is pleased and says he would have come earlier.
2. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
(a) She can't understand why she doesn't love him.
(b) She admires him greatly and will grow to love him.
(c) She adores him.
(d) She has never loved him.
3. Which are the most appropriate words to describe Hedda in the first act?
(a) Professional and competent.
(b) Loving and kind.
(c) Relaxed and lazy.
(d) Particular and demanding.
4. What does Hedda dream of convincing Tesman to do?
(a) Move to the country.
(b) Get his book published.
(c) Become more fashionable.
(d) Go into politics.
5. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(b) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
(c) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(d) She was a school teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes Mrs Elvsted's feelings regarding Lovborg?
2. Why does Hedda tell Brack is the reason she told Tesman she wanted to live in this particular house?
3. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
4. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
5. What does Ejlert Lovborg do shortly after publishing his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hedda does two things in Act 1 that make Julle uneasy. What are they, and why did they make Julle uneasy?
2. What does the letter from Julle tell Tesman about Rina? What are Tesman and Hedda's responses?
3. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for her asking him all the details of his dissolute life when they knew each other previously?
4. How much interest does Hedda show in getting along with all the Tesman family? Give an example.
5. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he sees her the morning after the party at Brack's?
6. What does Tesman say about the unpublished manuscript that Lovborg read to him at Brack's party?
7. What worry of Tesman's does Lovborg quickly alleviate?
8. At the end of Act 1, what is the one thing Hedda says she still has one thing to amuse herself with?
9. What brought Lovborg back to town?
10. In Act 1 of Hedda Gabler, what does Hedda say about her piano? What does Tesman suggest in reply, and how is his suggestion received?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)