|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(b) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
(c) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
(d) Cautiously agree to go.
2. What does Hedda complain about just after greeting Julle?
(a) How long it has been since they've met.
(b) Having nothing to do.
(c) An open window.
(d) The difficulty with servants.
3. In Act 2, who are the two people expected to be visiting the Tesman home in the evening?
(a) Berte and Lovborg.
(b) Lovborg and Brack.
(c) Mrs Elvsted and Lovborg.
(d) Julle and Mrs Elvsted.
4. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
(a) She admires him greatly and will grow to love him.
(b) She has never loved him.
(c) She can't understand why she doesn't love him.
(d) She adores him.
5. Why does Hedda tell Brack is the reason she told Tesman she wanted to live in this particular house?
(a) Because it was the nicest one Tesman could afford.
(b) To fill an awkward silence in conversation.
(c) Because she knew he wanted it.
(d) So she could be close to people she liked.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Mrs Elvsted does Hedda find "irritating"?
2. Which answer best describes Tesman's perception of Hedda?
3. From where are Tesman and Hedda returning?
4. What two events does Tesman accidentally schedule for the same time?
5. What are Brack's views on his own marriage prospects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hedda reveal to Brack about the house that Tesman does not know?
2. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for her asking him all the details of his dissolute life when they knew each other previously?
3. What does Tesman ask of Hedda shortly after Julle leaves in Act 1? What does Hedda reply?
4. What is the bad news that Brack divulges to Tesman that causes Tesman distress? Why does it cause Tesman distress?
5. What does Lovborg say the only option open to him now is? How does Hedda respond?
6. What is the only thing that Mrs. Elvsted knows about the woman from Lovborg's past?
7. How does the title character in HEDDA GABLER feel about motherhood? Do others know or expect her to feel this way?
8. Who was Hedda Gabler before she married Tesman? What was her life like?
9. How does Lovborg feel about Hedda being married to Tesman?
10. What is the main question of importance that Lovborg has for Hedda when they are talking in private?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)