|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tesman ask of Hedda in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) To be less distant with Julle.
(b) To try and get out in society.
(c) To help him with his work.
(d) To show her affection towards him.
2. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(a) Cautiously agree to go.
(c) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
(d) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
3. In the second act, what do we learn about the hat incident?
(a) Hedda only pretended she thought the hat belonged to the maid.
(b) That Hedda is sorry she said anything.
(c) That Julle is still offended.
(d) That Hedda was jealous of the hat.
4. To what does Brack invite Tesman?
(a) A party at the home of a wealthy relative.
(b) A literary gathering.
(c) A discussion of the professorship.
(d) A stag dinner.
5. In Act 2, why does Julle send word she will not be visiting Hedda and Tesman that evening?
(a) She has another social engagement.
(b) Rina is getting worse.
(c) She is still ofended about the hat.
(d) She does not feel welcome.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Lovborg's book received by the public?
2. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
3. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
4. What does Hedda claim she has to keep her entertained at the end of Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
5. What part of Mrs Elvsted does Hedda find "irritating"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Julle and Tesman allude to when they talk about Hedda "filling out"? How does Hedda feel about it?
2. At the end of Act 3, what does Hedda say to Lovborg about vine leaves? Why?
3. In Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER, Hedda tells Lovborg that her not daring to shoot him when their previous friendship ended was an act of cowardice, for fear of a scandal, but that it was not her greatest act of cowardice that evening. What do you think she is alluding to as her greatest act of cowardice?
4. Despite it's great reception, what does Lovborg say about the book of his that was recently published? What about the next one?
5. Why didn't Tesman tell anyone he had Lovborg's manuscript? What were his plans with it?
6. What reason does Hedda give Tesman for burning the manuscript?
7. Where did Tesman find Lovborg's manuscript and why didn't he return it at once?
8. What is the one trait of Mrs. Elvsted's that Hedda remembers and characterizes her by?
9. What does Tesman say about the unpublished manuscript that Lovborg read to him at Brack's party?
10. What does Brack press Hedda to do regarding Lovborg in the first part of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER? Why?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)