|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
(b) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(c) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(d) She was a school teacher.
2. What is Hedda's state of mind after Julle leaves?
(a) Happy to be home.
(b) Angry and tense.
(c) Resigned and content.
(d) Tired and overwhelmed.
3. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
(a) Collecting and arranging.
(b) Foreseeing the direction society will take.
(c) Seeing the influence of small actions.
(d) Making sense of confusing information.
4. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
(a) Comfortable and supportive.
(b) Unimportant and temporary.
(c) A disappointment and boring.
(d) Exciting and adventurous.
5. What does Ejlert Lovborg do shortly after publishing his book?
(a) Falls in love with Diana, a red headed singer.
(b) Applies for a professorship.
(c) Leaves the Elvsted household to return to town.
(d) Inherits a fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
2. What is Lovborg going to do for Tesman?
3. Which of the following best describes Mrs Elvsted's marriage?
4. What are Brack's views on his own marriage prospects?
5. What does Hedda claim she has to keep her entertained at the end of Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lovborg feel about Hedda being married to Tesman?
2. Despite it's great reception, what does Lovborg say about the book of his that was recently published? What about the next one?
3. When Brack adds his own account of the night of the party to Hedda, where does he reveal that Lovborg has gone that Tesman was unaware of?
4. When Lovborg leaves at the end of Act 3 what does Hedda do? What does she say while she does it?
5. What reason does Hedda give Tesman for burning the manuscript?
6. How much interest does Hedda show in getting along with all the Tesman family? Give an example.
7. What does Hedda do to Brack when he approaches at the very beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
8. What does Hedda tell Lovborg that finally does have an impact and he starts to drink? Why does it affect him so?
9. In Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER, Hedda tells Lovborg that her not daring to shoot him when their previous friendship ended was an act of cowardice, for fear of a scandal, but that it was not her greatest act of cowardice that evening. What do you think she is alluding to as her greatest act of cowardice?
10. What do Julle and Tesman allude to when they talk about Hedda "filling out"? How does Hedda feel about it?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)