|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ejlert Lovborg do shortly after publishing his book?
(a) Inherits a fortune.
(b) Leaves the Elvsted household to return to town.
(c) Applies for a professorship.
(d) Falls in love with Diana, a red headed singer.
2. What kind of friends were Mrs Elvsted and Hedda in school?
(a) They were inseperable best friends.
(b) They had some good friends in common and so they saw a lot of each other.
(c) They were classmates that spent a lot of time on school work together.
(d) They were seperated by a year, and Mrs Elvsted was frightened of Hedda.
3. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
(a) A disappointment and boring.
(b) Unimportant and temporary.
(c) Exciting and adventurous.
(d) Comfortable and supportive.
4. What does Tesman ask of Hedda in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) To show her affection towards him.
(b) To be less distant with Julle.
(c) To help him with his work.
(d) To try and get out in society.
5. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
(b) She was a school teacher.
(c) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(d) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Brack invite Tesman?
2. What does Julle give to Tesman before she leaves?
3. What is Hedda's state of mind after Julle leaves?
4. What does Hedda complain about just after greeting Julle?
5. How were the furnishings in the house paid for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the bad news that Brack divulges to Tesman that causes Tesman distress? Why does it cause Tesman distress?
2. In Act 1 of Hedda Gabler, what does Hedda say about her piano? What does Tesman suggest in reply, and how is his suggestion received?
3. Where was Lovborg and what was he doing when the gun went off and killed him?
4. What does Mrs. Elvsted liken the manuscript to?
5. At the end of Act 3, what does Hedda say to Lovborg about vine leaves? Why?
6. What reason does Hedda give Brack for her marrying Tesman?
7. What do Julle and Tesman allude to when they talk about Hedda "filling out"? How does Hedda feel about it?
8. What does Hedda tell Lovborg that finally does have an impact and he starts to drink? Why does it affect him so?
9. What do Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted decide they must do for Lovborg, and what does Mrs. Elvsted have that makes this possible?
10. How did Hedda enjoy her honeymoon with Tesman?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)