|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lovborg want Tesman to see?
(a) That he is a better writer than Tesman.
(b) Evidence of his reformed ways.
(c) That he is a potential candidate for the professorship.
(d) The manuscript to his next book.
2. What is the profession of Jorgen Tesman?
(a) Academic researcher and aspiring professor.
(c) Tesman does not work.
(d) Merchant and importer.
3. In Act 2, who are the two people expected to be visiting the Tesman home in the evening?
(a) Mrs Elvsted and Lovborg.
(b) Julle and Mrs Elvsted.
(c) Lovborg and Brack.
(d) Berte and Lovborg.
4. Which of the following best describes Mrs Elvsted's marriage?
(a) Loveless and convenient.
(b) Comfortable and satisfactory.
(c) Abusive and horrible.
(d) Passionate and unwise.
5. What is the book Tesman is working on about?
(a) The importance of family in society.
(b) Domestic crafts of Brabant in the Middle Ages.
(c) The role of religion in shaping the future.
(d) Cultural norms of the modern age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tesman buy the house he did?
2. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
3. What was the basis of the close friendship shared by Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted?
4. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
5. Which answer best describes Tesman's perception of Hedda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hedda give Lovborg as a keepsake as he leaves her house in Act 3?
2. In Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER, what do we learn about the hat incident of Act I that was not divulged to us at the time?
3. When Brack adds his own account of the night of the party to Hedda, where does he reveal that Lovborg has gone that Tesman was unaware of?
4. In Act 1 of Hedda Gabler, what does Hedda say about her piano? What does Tesman suggest in reply, and how is his suggestion received?
5. When Julle and Tesman discuss Hedda, what do they usually focus on?
6. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he sees her the morning after the party at Brack's?
7. What does Hedda mean at the end of Act 2 when she tells Mrs. Elvsted that at ten o'clock Lovborg will return "with vine leaves in his hair"?
8. What worry of Tesman's does Lovborg quickly alleviate?
9. Hedda does two things in Act 1 that make Julle uneasy. What are they, and why did they make Julle uneasy?
10. Despite it's great reception, what does Lovborg say about the book of his that was recently published? What about the next one?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)