|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lovborg want Tesman to see?
(a) That he is a potential candidate for the professorship.
(b) The manuscript to his next book.
(c) Evidence of his reformed ways.
(d) That he is a better writer than Tesman.
2. How is Lovborg's book received by the public?
(a) It is disputed by the academic community.
(b) It is ridiculed.
(c) It becomes the most popular novel of the time.
(d) It is very well received and called 'a sensation'.
3. Which answer best describes Tesman's perception of Hedda?
(a) Rude and ungrateful.
(b) Flighty and vacant.
(c) Beautiful and adored.
(d) Demanding and restrictive.
4. Which of the following best describes Mrs Elvsted's marriage?
(a) Comfortable and satisfactory.
(b) Passionate and unwise.
(c) Loveless and convenient.
(d) Abusive and horrible.
5. From their conversation, what can one infer about Brack and Hedda in Act 2?
(a) They are already friends.
(b) They are both uncomfortable being alone with the other.
(c) Hedda rejected Brack as a suitor.
(d) They have been lovers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tesman invite over to their house for evening in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
2. How does Hedda feel about the house she lives in?
3. Which are the most appropriate words to describe Hedda in the first act?
4. What does Tesman focus on when he talks about the future?
5. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only thing that Mrs. Elvsted knows about the woman from Lovborg's past?
2. Hedda does two things in Act 1 that make Julle uneasy. What are they, and why did they make Julle uneasy?
3. Where did Tesman find Lovborg's manuscript and why didn't he return it at once?
4. What does Hedda do to Brack when he approaches at the very beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
5. When Julle and Tesman discuss Hedda, what do they usually focus on?
6. What worry of Tesman's does Lovborg quickly alleviate?
7. What does Lovborg say the only option open to him now is? How does Hedda respond?
8. Other than her dialogue, what are Hedda's two final actions in the play HEDDA GABLER?
9. What does Tesman ask of Hedda shortly after Julle leaves in Act 1? What does Hedda reply?
10. What is the bad news that Brack divulges to Tesman that causes Tesman distress? Why does it cause Tesman distress?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)