|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda tell Brack about her trip with Tesman?
(a) She missed her wonderful home.
(b) She liked the people she met abroad.
(c) She wishes she never had to return home.
(d) She was very bored with only Tesman for company.
2. What does Hedda complain about just after greeting Julle?
(a) An open window.
(b) The difficulty with servants.
(c) Having nothing to do.
(d) How long it has been since they've met.
3. Why is the professorship so important to Tesman?
(a) So he will finally outshine Lovborg.
(b) He wants to make Hedda and Julle proud of him.
(c) He desperately wants some academic recognition.
(d) He based his marriage and finances on the prospects of the job.
4. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
(a) He was the protege of Mr Elvsted.
(b) He was a close friend of Mr Elvsted.
(c) He was a distant relation.
(d) He tutored the children.
5. Which of the following best describes Mrs Elvsted's marriage?
(a) Comfortable and satisfactory.
(b) Passionate and unwise.
(c) Abusive and horrible.
(d) Loveless and convenient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tesman thank Brack for when Brack arrives at the house for the first time in Act 1?
2. What did Tesman tell Brack about Tesman and Hedda's trip?
3. What are Mrs Elvsted's plans for the future?
4. What item in Hedda and Tesman's house has been moved out of view in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
5. From where are Tesman and Hedda returning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted decide they must do for Lovborg, and what does Mrs. Elvsted have that makes this possible?
2. What does Mrs. Elvsted liken the manuscript to?
3. Describe Hedda Gabler's character.
4. At the end of Act 1, what is the one thing Hedda says she still has one thing to amuse herself with?
5. In the beginning of Act 2, shortly after discussing their financial constraints, what does Tesman return home with?
6. What does Hedda reveal to Brack about the house that Tesman does not know?
7. How did Hedda enjoy her honeymoon with Tesman?
8. Other than her dialogue, what are Hedda's two final actions in the play HEDDA GABLER?
9. Hedda does two things in Act 1 that make Julle uneasy. What are they, and why did they make Julle uneasy?
10. How much interest does Hedda show in getting along with all the Tesman family? Give an example.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)