|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, why does Julle send word she will not be visiting Hedda and Tesman that evening?
(a) Rina is getting worse.
(b) She does not feel welcome.
(c) She has another social engagement.
(d) She is still ofended about the hat.
2. How does Hedda feel about the possibility of motherhood?
(a) She has no leaning toward such responsibilities.
(b) She doesn't think she is capable of bearing children.
(c) She can't wait to hear children's voices in the house.
(d) She looks forward to it to keep her occupied.
3. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
(b) Berte is Rina's poor relative from the country.
(c) Rina owes Berte money.
(d) Berte nursed Rina for several years.
4. What does Hedda threaten to do to Berte in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Cut her hair off.
(b) Dismiss her.
(c) Visit her every day.
(d) Send her to care for Rina.
5. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(b) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(c) She was a school teacher.
(d) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hedda and Brack are discussing a trip in a compartment on a train, what are they really discussing?
2. In Act 1, what is the role of Berte in the household?
3. What does Ejlert Lovborg do shortly after publishing his book?
4. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
5. Who does Tesman invite over to their house for evening in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lovborg say the only option open to him now is? How does Hedda respond?
2. What does Hedda learn from Mrs.1Elvsted when they speak alone in Act I of Hedda Gabler that Mrs Elvsted had concealed from Tesman?
3. Why does Lovborg not accompany Mrs. Elvsted home as promised the day before?
4. What does Hedda tell Lovborg that other people may think if Lovborg continued to refuse to drink at all?
5. What reason does Hedda give Brack for her marrying Tesman?
6. In Act 1 of Hedda Gabler, what does Hedda say about her piano? What does Tesman suggest in reply, and how is his suggestion received?
7. What brought Lovborg back to town?
8. What is the bad news that Brack divulges to Tesman that causes Tesman distress? Why does it cause Tesman distress?
9. When Lovborg leaves at the end of Act 3 what does Hedda do? What does she say while she does it?
10. The morning after the party at Brack's house, what is the situation like at the Tesman household?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)