|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Lovborg's book received by the public?
(a) It becomes the most popular novel of the time.
(b) It is ridiculed.
(c) It is disputed by the academic community.
(d) It is very well received and called 'a sensation'.
2. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
3. What did Julle buy in honor of Hedda?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A hat.
(c) A book.
(d) A dress.
4. In Act 1, what is the role of Berte in the household?
(a) Visiting relative.
5. How does Hedda feel about the house she lives in?
(a) She thinks the house will be good for raising a family.
(b) She loves the way the house has been furnished.
(c) She thinks the house is plain and depressing.
(d) She thinks it smells of old ladies and death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs Elvsted uneasy talking about her home life?
2. What kept Hedda and Tesman up late the night of their return?
3. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
4. What does Tesman ask Berte to put away for him?
5. What does Lovborg want Tesman to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tesman foresees many months of work to reconstruct the manuscript. How does he recommend they all arrange themselves while the work is going on?
2. At the end of Act 1, what is the one thing Hedda says she still has one thing to amuse herself with?
3. What does Hedda reveal to Brack about the house that Tesman does not know?
4. What does the letter from Julle tell Tesman about Rina? What are Tesman and Hedda's responses?
5. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he sees her the morning after the party at Brack's?
6. Who was Hedda Gabler before she married Tesman? What was her life like?
7. What is the one trait of Mrs. Elvsted's that Hedda remembers and characterizes her by?
8. In Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER, what do we learn about the hat incident of Act I that was not divulged to us at the time?
9. Other than her dialogue, what are Hedda's two final actions in the play HEDDA GABLER?
10. What does Hedda learn from Mrs.1Elvsted when they speak alone in Act I of Hedda Gabler that Mrs Elvsted had concealed from Tesman?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)