|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(a) Cautiously agree to go.
(b) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
(d) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
2. What kept Hedda and Tesman up late the night of their return?
(a) Hedda needed everything unpacked and put away in a particular manner.
(b) They were celebrating the return to their new home.
(c) Julle was ill.
(d) Berte was was having a party next door.
3. What does Hedda claim she has to keep her entertained at the end of Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) A growing family.
(b) Her father's pistols.
(c) A busy social life.
(d) A charming home.
4. How long has Mrs Elvsted been in town?
(a) She moved to town some years ago.
(b) She is very recently arrived.
(c) She has always lived here.
(d) Her whole family recently moved into town from the country.
5. When Julle leaves at the end of Act 1, what are her plans for returning?
(a) She is afraid she'll be too busy to come often.
(b) She will return to spend the winter.
(c) She plans on returning every day to visit.
(d) She plans never to return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the basis of the close friendship shared by Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted?
2. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
3. How does Hedda feel about the possibility of motherhood?
4. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
5. What would best characterize the way Hedda greets Julle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Hedda give Tesman for burning the manuscript?
2. What does Tesman say about the unpublished manuscript that Lovborg read to him at Brack's party?
3. Despite it's great reception, what does Lovborg say about the book of his that was recently published? What about the next one?
4. Who was Hedda Gabler before she married Tesman? What was her life like?
5. What is the bad news that Brack divulges to Tesman that causes Tesman distress? Why does it cause Tesman distress?
6. How do Hedda and Aunt Julle get along?
7. What brought Lovborg back to town?
8. What is the main question of importance that Lovborg has for Hedda when they are talking in private?
9. How much interest does Hedda show in getting along with all the Tesman family? Give an example.
10. How did Hedda enjoy her honeymoon with Tesman?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)