|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tesman confess to feeling about Lovborg's book?
2. At the end of Act 2, what does Hedda confess to Mrs Elvsted that she wants out of the whole situation?
(a) To win Lovborg's love.
(b) To see Lovborg succumb to weakness.
(c) To secure the professorship for Tesman.
(d) To influence a human fate.
3. What does Hedda say she is doing at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Making an opportunity for Tesman.
(b) Burning a child.
(c) Destroying Lovborg's future.
(d) Destroying her past.
4. What does Tesman plan to do with the manuscript?
(a) Take it to the publisher as his own work.
(b) Return it right away to Lovborg.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Hide it until after the professorship is his.
5. How does Hedda imagine Lovborg when he returns?
(a) Reckless and free.
(b) The talk of the town.
(c) Flushed and fearless with vine leaves in his hair.
(d) Responsible and self controlled.
6. What attribute does he give Mrs Elvsted that he knows Hedda lacks?
(a) A great understanding of interpersonal relationships.
(b) The courage to act.
7. What reason does Hedda give for refusing to go with Tesman to Rina?
(a) She says she needs to free herself from darkness and death.
(b) Someone needs to guard the manuscript.
(c) She feels unwell.
(d) She needs to wait for Lovborg to arrive.
8. Which of the following best characterizes Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
(a) Desperate and scheming.
(b) Strong and willful.
(c) Eloquent and learned.
(d) Out of control and drunken.
9. What becomes apparent as soon as Hedda and Lovborg converse alone?
(a) Hedda is angry at Lovborg for an unknown reason.
(b) Lovborg is jealous of Tesman's success.
(c) Hedda and Lovborg have been very close.
(d) Hedda wishes she had married Lovborg.
10. Where did Lovborg go after he was at Brack's?
(a) He returned home to sleep.
(b) He tried to return to take Mrs Elvsted home.
(c) He went to an especially lively party at Miss Diana's.
(d) He went to the police to report his missing manuscript.
11. What does Tesman bring to Hedda while she talks to Lovborg?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) His book.
(c) A letter from Mrs Elvsted.
(d) Punch and cakes.
12. What does the letter from Julle tell Tesman?
(a) That the police know he has Lovborg's book, and he must go to the station at once.
(b) That Hedda is pregnant.
(c) That Lovborg was arrested, and needs help.
(d) That Rina is dying and he must hurry to her side.
13. What does Lovborg try to call Hedda when they are alone?
(c) Mrs Tesman.
(d) My love.
14. At Brack's party, what information does Lovborg withhold?
(a) The name of the woman that inspired him.
(b) That there is a second copy of the manuscript.
(c) That he is in love with Hedda.
(d) That his work is plagiarized from Tesman's.
15. What does Lovborg take with him to Brack's?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A bottle of punch.
(c) Mrs Elvsted's glove.
(d) His manuscript.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the usual manner for Brack's arrivals and departures?
2. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for not following through on a threat she made a long time ago?
3. What does Tesman tell Hedda that Lovborg made a long rambling speech about at Brack's party?
4. How many copies of Lovborg's manuscript exist?
5. What did Hedda envision for Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)