|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda refer to when she says someone has 'vine leaves in their hair'?
(a) That they are free-spirited.
(b) That they are all dressed up.
(c) That they are living a wild lifestyle.
(d) That they have become stuck somewhere.
2. What is Lovborg's response to Hedda's revelation about Mr Elvsted?
(a) He brushes it off and admonishes Hedda.
(b) He makes a toast with a glass of punch, to 'the truth'.
(c) He grows angry and embarrassed, and decides to leave with Tesman and Brack.
(d) He laughs at Mrs Elvsted.
3. Why did Lovborg fight with Miss Diana?
(a) Lovborg wanted more money from her.
(b) Miss Diana demanded that he give her his book.
(c) Lovborg thought she took his manuscript.
(d) Miss Diana wanted him to stop drinking.
4. At Brack's party, what information does Lovborg withhold?
(a) That there is a second copy of the manuscript.
(b) That he is in love with Hedda.
(c) The name of the woman that inspired him.
(d) That his work is plagiarized from Tesman's.
5. What influence does Hedda want over Lovborg?
(a) She wants him to love her.
(b) She wants revenge.
(c) She wants to ruin him.
6. What is the relationship between Lovborg and Miss Diana?
(a) Miss Diana is his cousin who has always helped him through hard times.
(b) Miss Diana works at the police station and remembers him from before his reformation.
(c) They were former lovers.
(d) Lovborg owes Miss Diana money that she hopes to recover by the sale of his book.
7. What does Hedda remember getting Lovborg to confess?
(a) That he wanted to kill himself.
(b) That he loved Hedda.
(c) That he wanted to write a great book in his life.
(d) The details of his dissolute lifestyle.
8. What does Hedda show Lovborg when they are first left alone together?
(a) Her father's pistols.
(b) Her house.
(c) A photo album of her honeymoon.
(d) Her husband's manuscript.
9. What time of day is it when Lovborg arrives at the Tesman household?
(a) Late the next day.
(b) Four in the morning.
(c) After daybreak the next morning.
(d) He arrives at ten to take Mrs. Elvsted home.
10. What does Lovborg know after his night at Brack's?
(a) The he will not be able to maintain a respectable lifestyle.
(b) That he is the best man for the professorship.
(c) That he is in love with Hedda.
(d) That it is pointless for him to write books.
11. What are Mrs. Elvsted's plans when she leaves the Tesman household in Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) She is going to return to her husband.
(b) She is going to attempt to purchase the manuscript back from Miss Diana.
(c) She has no plans and nowhere to go.
(d) She is going to look for the missing manuscript.
12. What does Hedda suggest that Lovborg do beautifully?
(a) Write another book.
(b) Apologize to Mrs Elvsted.
(c) End it all.
(d) Go to the interview for the professorship.
13. What is the likely reason that Hedda dreams of controlling another person's destiny?
(a) She aspires to do more good than one person can.
(b) She feels very little power over her own life.
(c) She wants to be like Mrs Elvsted.
(d) It is simply entertainment.
14. What does Tesman bring to Hedda while she talks to Lovborg?
(a) Punch and cakes.
(b) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) His book.
(d) A letter from Mrs Elvsted.
15. At the end of Act 2, what does Hedda confess to Mrs Elvsted that she wants out of the whole situation?
(a) To win Lovborg's love.
(b) To secure the professorship for Tesman.
(c) To see Lovborg succumb to weakness.
(d) To influence a human fate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lovborg's plan for his future at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
2. What does Tesman plan to do with the manuscript?
3. How does Hedda imagine Lovborg when he returns?
4. What attribute does he give Mrs Elvsted that he knows Hedda lacks?
5. What best characterizes the way Hedda feels about Mrs. Elvsted?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)