|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day is it when Lovborg arrives at the Tesman household?
(a) Late the next day.
(b) Four in the morning.
(c) He arrives at ten to take Mrs. Elvsted home.
(d) After daybreak the next morning.
2. What is the likely reason that Hedda dreams of controlling another person's destiny?
(a) It is simply entertainment.
(b) She wants to be like Mrs Elvsted.
(c) She feels very little power over her own life.
(d) She aspires to do more good than one person can.
3. What is Mrs. Elvsted waiting for in HEDDA GABLER at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) Lovborg to return from Brack's to take her home.
(b) News of Lovborg's book.
(c) For Hedda to let her leave.
(d) The arrival of her husband.
4. What does Hedda understand is the real point of Brack's story?
(a) To convince Tesman to surrender the manuscript.
(b) He is afraid Lovborg might hurt someone.
(c) Brack doesn't want Lovborg around Hedda.
(d) He is afraid a scandal might ruin Tesman.
5. What does Hedda divulge to Lovborg that Mrs Elvsted did not want known?
(a) That she had been a flame of Tesman's.
(b) That she had left her husband.
(c) That she was anxious about Lovborg's fortitude.
(d) That she was jealous of Hedda.
6. What does Tesman think of the book Lovborg read out loud at Brack's party?
(a) He thinks it's one of the most remarkable books ever written.
(b) He thinks it is plagiarism of his own work.
(c) He thinks it is interesting but poorly written.
(d) He thinks it's dull and simplistic.
7. What does Hedda remember getting Lovborg to confess?
(a) That he loved Hedda.
(b) That he wanted to write a great book in his life.
(c) That he wanted to kill himself.
(d) The details of his dissolute lifestyle.
8. What does Hedda say she is doing at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Destroying Lovborg's future.
(b) Making an opportunity for Tesman.
(c) Destroying her past.
(d) Burning a child.
9. What does Lovborg take with him to Brack's?
(a) A bottle of punch.
(b) His manuscript.
(c) A pistol.
(d) Mrs Elvsted's glove.
10. What does Berte deliver for Tesman at a very early hour of the morning?
(a) A manuscript.
(b) A letter from Hedda's past.
(c) A letter from Julle.
(d) A package.
11. What influence does Hedda want over Lovborg?
(b) She wants to ruin him.
(c) She wants revenge.
(d) She wants him to love her.
12. What does Tesman tell Hedda that Lovborg made a long rambling speech about at Brack's party?
(a) Cultural diversity.
(b) Lovborg's qualifications for the professorship.
(c) The evils of alcohol.
(d) The woman who inspired him.
13. What does Hedda destroy in the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Her father's pistols.
(b) Her reputation.
(c) Lovborg's manuscript.
(d) Tesman's chances at the professorship.
14. What reason does Hedda give for refusing to go with Tesman to Rina?
(a) She says she needs to free herself from darkness and death.
(b) Someone needs to guard the manuscript.
(c) She feels unwell.
(d) She needs to wait for Lovborg to arrive.
15. What does Tesman plan to do with the manuscript?
(a) Hide it until after the professorship is his.
(b) Burn it.
(c) Return it right away to Lovborg.
(d) Take it to the publisher as his own work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hedda insist on sitting when Mrs Elvsted joins her and Lovborg?
2. What is Mrs. Elvsted's state of mind after the gentlemen leave?
3. What is the relationship between Lovborg and Miss Diana?
4. What does Hedda suggest that Lovborg do beautifully?
5. What happens to the manuscript when Tesman leaves?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)