|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hedda assume that Tesman is?
(a) Sleeping at Julle's.
(b) Taking care of Lovborg.
(c) Still partying.
(d) Gone to discuss the professorship.
2. After Mrs Elvsted arrives, what does Lovborg talk about?
(a) He compliments Mrs Elvsted and praises the friendship he has with her.
(b) He talks about Tesman's research.
(c) He talks about nothing but his book.
(d) He talks about when he knew Hedda.
3. What is the usual manner for Brack's arrivals and departures?
(a) He arrives unannounced through the back door and garden.
(b) He comes and goes with Tesman.
(c) He lets himself in without using the bell so not to disturb anyone.
(d) The front door, as a formal guest.
4. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he returns at last from Brack's party?
(a) He lost control and needs her forgiveness.
(b) He has no more use for her and they must part.
(c) He tells her that he tried to return for her the previous night but was prevented.
(d) He tells her that he loves another woman.
5. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted happened to the manuscript?
(a) That he tore it into bits and scattered it in the fjord.
(b) That it is missing but the police are looking for it.
(c) That Miss Diana has taken it and he can't get it back.
(d) That he sold it to pay his debts.
6. What does Hedda show Lovborg when they are first left alone together?
(a) Her house.
(b) Her father's pistols.
(c) A photo album of her honeymoon.
(d) Her husband's manuscript.
7. Before he leaves, what does Lovborg promise to do?
(a) Finish his book.
(b) Speak to Brack about the professorship.
(c) Stay sober.
(d) Return at ten to take Mrs. Elvsted home.
8. What does Hedda divulge to Lovborg that Mrs Elvsted did not want known?
(a) That she had been a flame of Tesman's.
(b) That she was jealous of Hedda.
(c) That she had left her husband.
(d) That she was anxious about Lovborg's fortitude.
9. What does Hedda destroy in the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Lovborg's manuscript.
(b) Her reputation.
(c) Tesman's chances at the professorship.
(d) Her father's pistols.
10. What future does Hedda see for Lovborg?
(a) A future of revelry and irresponsibility.
(b) An act of courageous and beautiful self destruction.
(c) The coveted professorship.
(d) Global recognition of his genius.
11. What does Lovborg know after his night at Brack's?
(a) That he is the best man for the professorship.
(b) That he is in love with Hedda.
(c) The he will not be able to maintain a respectable lifestyle.
(d) That it is pointless for him to write books.
12. What does Lovborg confess to Hedda about his manuscript?
(a) That he sold it to repay drinking debts.
(b) That he always hated the book.
(c) That he lost it.
(d) That he plagiarized Tesman's work.
13. What is Lovborg's response to Hedda's revelation about Mr Elvsted?
(a) He makes a toast with a glass of punch, to 'the truth'.
(b) He brushes it off and admonishes Hedda.
(c) He laughs at Mrs Elvsted.
(d) He grows angry and embarrassed, and decides to leave with Tesman and Brack.
14. What does Lovborg ask Hedda while they are alone?
(a) He asks if Tesman is angry with him for competing for the professorship.
(b) He asks if there was ever any love in her friendship for him.
(c) He asks her about Mrs Elvsted.
(d) He wants to know if she thinks his book is better than Tesman's.
15. What does Brack suggest is Lovborg's motive for visiting the Tesman household?
(a) To use it as a meeting place with Mrs Elvsted.
(b) To get leverage to win the professorship.
(c) To have access to Tesman's work.
(d) To get close to Hedda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hedda claim were her motives in their prior experiences together?
2. What does Tesman confess to feeling about Lovborg's book?
3. In Act 3, after Brack leaves, what does Hedda do?
4. What is Mrs. Elvsted waiting for in HEDDA GABLER at the beginning of Act 3?
5. What does Hedda first tell Lovborg when he continually declines the cold punch she offered him?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)