|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tesman confess to feeling about Lovborg's book?
2. Where does Hedda assume that Tesman is?
(a) Still partying.
(b) Taking care of Lovborg.
(c) Gone to discuss the professorship.
(d) Sleeping at Julle's.
3. What does Lovborg try to call Hedda when they are alone?
(b) My love.
(c) Mrs Tesman.
4. What is the relationship between Lovborg and Miss Diana?
(a) Miss Diana works at the police station and remembers him from before his reformation.
(b) They were former lovers.
(c) Lovborg owes Miss Diana money that she hopes to recover by the sale of his book.
(d) Miss Diana is his cousin who has always helped him through hard times.
5. What is Lovborg's response to Hedda's revelation about Mr Elvsted?
(a) He grows angry and embarrassed, and decides to leave with Tesman and Brack.
(b) He laughs at Mrs Elvsted.
(c) He makes a toast with a glass of punch, to 'the truth'.
(d) He brushes it off and admonishes Hedda.
6. At the end of Act 2, what does Hedda confess to Mrs Elvsted that she wants out of the whole situation?
(a) To see Lovborg succumb to weakness.
(b) To secure the professorship for Tesman.
(c) To influence a human fate.
(d) To win Lovborg's love.
7. What does the letter from Julle tell Tesman?
(a) That Lovborg was arrested, and needs help.
(b) That the police know he has Lovborg's book, and he must go to the station at once.
(c) That Rina is dying and he must hurry to her side.
(d) That Hedda is pregnant.
8. What best characterizes the way Hedda feels about Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) She is jealous of her and the influence she has on Lovborg.
(b) She feels Mrs. Elvsted is wrong to leave her husband.
(c) She feels a close affinity to Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) She thinks Mrs. Elvsted is a scheming social climber.
9. What becomes apparent as soon as Hedda and Lovborg converse alone?
(a) Hedda is angry at Lovborg for an unknown reason.
(b) Hedda wishes she had married Lovborg.
(c) Lovborg is jealous of Tesman's success.
(d) Hedda and Lovborg have been very close.
10. What is Lovborg's plan for his future at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) To end it all.
(b) To succumb to a life of debauchery and drunkeness.
(c) To get the professorship, and perhaps write again.
(d) To return to the Elvsted and regain control of his life.
11. What is the very important thing that Hedda keeps from Lovborg when he comes to see her in Act 3?
(a) The money he needs to buy back his manuscript.
(b) Her love and sympathy.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) Information about the professorship.
12. What does Hedda do with a pistol as Lovborg prepares to leave?
(a) She tries to hide it from Lovborg.
(b) She gives it to him as a 'keepsake'.
(c) She lays it on the table in the entry way.
(d) She fires it in the air.
13. What influence does Hedda want over Lovborg?
(a) She wants to ruin him.
(b) She wants him to love her.
(d) She wants revenge.
14. What does Tesman think of the book Lovborg read out loud at Brack's party?
(a) He thinks it's dull and simplistic.
(b) He thinks it is interesting but poorly written.
(c) He thinks it is plagiarism of his own work.
(d) He thinks it's one of the most remarkable books ever written.
15. What is the thing that Hedda fights hardest for?
Short Answer Questions
1. Before he leaves, what does Lovborg promise to do?
2. What does Lovborg confess to Hedda about his manuscript?
3. What is Mrs. Elvsted waiting for in HEDDA GABLER at the beginning of Act 3?
4. What does Hedda understand is the real point of Brack's story?
5. What does Hedda first tell Lovborg when he continually declines the cold punch she offered him?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)