|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Mrs. Elvsted's plans when she leaves the Tesman household in Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) She is going to look for the missing manuscript.
(b) She is going to return to her husband.
(c) She is going to attempt to purchase the manuscript back from Miss Diana.
(d) She has no plans and nowhere to go.
2. What does Hedda first tell Lovborg when he continually declines the cold punch she offered him?
(a) That Mrs Elvsted had trained him well.
(b) That he had changed greatly from the person she knew.
(c) That she admired his fortitude.
(d) That it makes him appear unsure of himself.
3. What is the very important thing that Hedda keeps from Lovborg when he comes to see her in Act 3?
(a) Information about the professorship.
(b) Her love and sympathy.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) The money he needs to buy back his manuscript.
4. What does Hedda suggest that Lovborg do beautifully?
(a) End it all.
(b) Apologize to Mrs Elvsted.
(c) Go to the interview for the professorship.
(d) Write another book.
5. Which of the following best describe Brack's character?
(a) Controlling and manipulative.
(b) Cold and distant.
(c) Simple and naive.
(d) Friendly and caring.
6. Where did Tesman get Lovborg's manuscript?
(a) Brack gave it to him for safe keeping.
(b) He borrowed it to read.
(c) He found it on the side of the road.
(d) He stole it when Lovborg wasn't looking.
7. What did Hedda envision for Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
(a) The end of Lovborg's career so that Tesman would get the professorship.
(b) For society to recognize Lovborg's complete reformation.
(c) For Lovborg to be recognized as a great scholar.
(d) For Lovborg to be independent and in control of himself without Mrs Elvsted's influence.
8. What does Lovborg confess to Hedda about his manuscript?
(a) That he plagiarized Tesman's work.
(b) That he lost it.
(c) That he sold it to repay drinking debts.
(d) That he always hated the book.
9. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for not following through on a threat she made a long time ago?
(a) She knew it was wrong.
(b) She was a coward and afraid of scandal.
(c) Because she loved Lovborg.
(d) It would have damaged her chances of marrying Tesman.
10. Why did Lovborg fight with Miss Diana?
(a) Miss Diana demanded that he give her his book.
(b) Lovborg wanted more money from her.
(c) Miss Diana wanted him to stop drinking.
(d) Lovborg thought she took his manuscript.
11. What does Tesman confess to feeling about Lovborg's book?
12. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted happened to the manuscript?
(a) That it is missing but the police are looking for it.
(b) That he sold it to pay his debts.
(c) That Miss Diana has taken it and he can't get it back.
(d) That he tore it into bits and scattered it in the fjord.
13. What best characterizes the way Hedda feels about Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) She feels a close affinity to Mrs. Elvsted.
(b) She thinks Mrs. Elvsted is a scheming social climber.
(c) She is jealous of her and the influence she has on Lovborg.
(d) She feels Mrs. Elvsted is wrong to leave her husband.
14. What is Hedda doing when Tesman returns from Brack's party?
(a) Reading Lovborg's book.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Stoking the fire.
(d) Talking with Mrs Elvsted.
15. What does Hedda understand is the real point of Brack's story?
(a) He is afraid a scandal might ruin Tesman.
(b) To convince Tesman to surrender the manuscript.
(c) Brack doesn't want Lovborg around Hedda.
(d) He is afraid Lovborg might hurt someone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day is it when Lovborg arrives at the Tesman household?
2. What is the thing that Hedda fights hardest for?
3. What does Tesman think of the book Lovborg read out loud at Brack's party?
4. What does the letter from Julle tell Tesman?
5. What does Lovborg think Hedda's motives might have been in their prior friendship?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)