|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lovborg ask Hedda while they are alone?
(a) He asks if there was ever any love in her friendship for him.
(b) He wants to know if she thinks his book is better than Tesman's.
(c) He asks her about Mrs Elvsted.
(d) He asks if Tesman is angry with him for competing for the professorship.
2. What does Hedda understand is the real point of Brack's story?
(a) He is afraid a scandal might ruin Tesman.
(b) Brack doesn't want Lovborg around Hedda.
(c) He is afraid Lovborg might hurt someone.
(d) To convince Tesman to surrender the manuscript.
3. What is Mrs. Elvsted waiting for in HEDDA GABLER at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) News of Lovborg's book.
(b) The arrival of her husband.
(c) Lovborg to return from Brack's to take her home.
(d) For Hedda to let her leave.
4. What does Lovborg know after his night at Brack's?
(a) That he is in love with Hedda.
(b) That it is pointless for him to write books.
(c) That he is the best man for the professorship.
(d) The he will not be able to maintain a respectable lifestyle.
5. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for not following through on a threat she made a long time ago?
(a) She knew it was wrong.
(b) Because she loved Lovborg.
(c) It would have damaged her chances of marrying Tesman.
(d) She was a coward and afraid of scandal.
6. Which of the following set of people truly acts in the others best interest to the best of their ability in the play HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Hedda and Brack.
(b) Tesman and Brack.
(c) Hedda and Tesman.
(d) Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted.
7. What does Hedda remember getting Lovborg to confess?
(a) That he wanted to write a great book in his life.
(b) That he loved Hedda.
(c) The details of his dissolute lifestyle.
(d) That he wanted to kill himself.
8. What does Tesman confess to feeling about Lovborg's book?
9. What becomes apparent as soon as Hedda and Lovborg converse alone?
(a) Hedda is angry at Lovborg for an unknown reason.
(b) Hedda and Lovborg have been very close.
(c) Hedda wishes she had married Lovborg.
(d) Lovborg is jealous of Tesman's success.
10. Where did Lovborg go after he was at Brack's?
(a) He tried to return to take Mrs Elvsted home.
(b) He returned home to sleep.
(c) He went to the police to report his missing manuscript.
(d) He went to an especially lively party at Miss Diana's.
11. What does Hedda threaten, again, to do to Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) Ruin her in society.
(b) Burn her hair off.
(c) Seperate her from Lovborg.
(d) Write to her husband.
12. Which of the following best characterizes the dinner party at Brack's house?
(a) Wild and uncontrolled.
(b) Poorly attended and brief.
(c) Dull and monotonous.
(d) Sophisticated and intellectual.
13. What is the likely reason that Hedda dreams of controlling another person's destiny?
(a) She aspires to do more good than one person can.
(b) She wants to be like Mrs Elvsted.
(c) It is simply entertainment.
(d) She feels very little power over her own life.
14. What does Hedda say she is doing at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Making an opportunity for Tesman.
(b) Burning a child.
(c) Destroying her past.
(d) Destroying Lovborg's future.
15. What does Brack suggest is Lovborg's motive for visiting the Tesman household?
(a) To have access to Tesman's work.
(b) To get close to Hedda.
(c) To use it as a meeting place with Mrs Elvsted.
(d) To get leverage to win the professorship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What future does Hedda see for Lovborg?
2. What does Hedda do with a pistol as Lovborg prepares to leave?
3. What is the usual manner for Brack's arrivals and departures?
4. How does Hedda imagine Lovborg when he returns?
5. Of what does Lovborg accuse Mrs. Elvsted?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)