|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lovborg know after his night at Brack's?
(a) That he is in love with Hedda.
(b) That he is the best man for the professorship.
(c) That it is pointless for him to write books.
(d) The he will not be able to maintain a respectable lifestyle.
2. What does Lovborg confess to Hedda about his manuscript?
(a) That he plagiarized Tesman's work.
(b) That he lost it.
(c) That he sold it to repay drinking debts.
(d) That he always hated the book.
3. What does Hedda understand is the real point of Brack's story?
(a) He is afraid Lovborg might hurt someone.
(b) Brack doesn't want Lovborg around Hedda.
(c) To convince Tesman to surrender the manuscript.
(d) He is afraid a scandal might ruin Tesman.
4. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for not following through on a threat she made a long time ago?
(a) She knew it was wrong.
(b) It would have damaged her chances of marrying Tesman.
(c) She was a coward and afraid of scandal.
(d) Because she loved Lovborg.
5. What does Hedda do with a pistol as Lovborg prepares to leave?
(a) She gives it to him as a 'keepsake'.
(b) She tries to hide it from Lovborg.
(c) She lays it on the table in the entry way.
(d) She fires it in the air.
6. Where did Lovborg go after he was at Brack's?
(a) He went to the police to report his missing manuscript.
(b) He went to an especially lively party at Miss Diana's.
(c) He tried to return to take Mrs Elvsted home.
(d) He returned home to sleep.
7. How many copies of Lovborg's manuscript exist?
(c) One that was divided into two pieces and seperated.
(d) Two, but only one is available because the other is at the Elvsted house.
8. Which of the following best describe Brack's character?
(a) Friendly and caring.
(b) Cold and distant.
(c) Simple and naive.
(d) Controlling and manipulative.
9. What does Hedda suggest that Lovborg do beautifully?
(a) Write another book.
(b) Go to the interview for the professorship.
(c) Apologize to Mrs Elvsted.
(d) End it all.
10. What does Lovborg ask Hedda while they are alone?
(a) He asks if Tesman is angry with him for competing for the professorship.
(b) He wants to know if she thinks his book is better than Tesman's.
(c) He asks her about Mrs Elvsted.
(d) He asks if there was ever any love in her friendship for him.
11. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he returns at last from Brack's party?
(a) He lost control and needs her forgiveness.
(b) He tells her that he tried to return for her the previous night but was prevented.
(c) He tells her that he loves another woman.
(d) He has no more use for her and they must part.
12. What becomes apparent as soon as Hedda and Lovborg converse alone?
(a) Hedda wishes she had married Lovborg.
(b) Hedda and Lovborg have been very close.
(c) Hedda is angry at Lovborg for an unknown reason.
(d) Lovborg is jealous of Tesman's success.
13. What does Tesman confess to feeling about Lovborg's book?
14. What is becoming clear about Brack's motives with Hedda?
(a) Brack is looking after her for her father.
(b) Brack wants a more intimate relationship with Hedda.
(c) Brack is willing to do anything that Hedda asks.
(d) Brack is jealous of Tesman.
15. What is Lovborg's plan for his future at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) To end it all.
(b) To succumb to a life of debauchery and drunkeness.
(c) To get the professorship, and perhaps write again.
(d) To return to the Elvsted and regain control of his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
2. When does Hedda do with Lovborg's manuscript when she hears the maid admit Lovborg into the house?
3. Before he leaves, what does Lovborg promise to do?
4. What is the usual manner for Brack's arrivals and departures?
5. What future does Hedda see for Lovborg?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)