|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Hedda do with Lovborg's manuscript when she hears the maid admit Lovborg into the house?
(a) Leaves it scattered on the floor.
(b) Hides it in a drawer.
(c) Tosses it in the fire.
(d) Lays it out on the table.
2. At the end of Act 2, what does Hedda confess to Mrs Elvsted that she wants out of the whole situation?
(a) To influence a human fate.
(b) To secure the professorship for Tesman.
(c) To win Lovborg's love.
(d) To see Lovborg succumb to weakness.
3. What does Lovborg take with him to Brack's?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A bottle of punch.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) Mrs Elvsted's glove.
4. What is Mrs. Elvsted waiting for in HEDDA GABLER at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) The arrival of her husband.
(b) Lovborg to return from Brack's to take her home.
(c) News of Lovborg's book.
(d) For Hedda to let her leave.
5. How does Hedda imagine Lovborg when he returns?
(a) Flushed and fearless with vine leaves in his hair.
(b) The talk of the town.
(c) Reckless and free.
(d) Responsible and self controlled.
6. What does Hedda refer to when she says someone has 'vine leaves in their hair'?
(a) That they are living a wild lifestyle.
(b) That they are free-spirited.
(c) That they have become stuck somewhere.
(d) That they are all dressed up.
7. What does Lovborg think Hedda's motives might have been in their prior friendship?
(a) To ruin his reputation.
(b) To make him fall in love.
(c) To purge and cleanse him of his ways.
(d) To keep him from writing.
8. Which of the following set of people truly acts in the others best interest to the best of their ability in the play HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Hedda and Brack.
(b) Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted.
(c) Tesman and Brack.
(d) Hedda and Tesman.
9. What is Lovborg's response to Hedda's revelation about Mr Elvsted?
(a) He grows angry and embarrassed, and decides to leave with Tesman and Brack.
(b) He makes a toast with a glass of punch, to 'the truth'.
(c) He brushes it off and admonishes Hedda.
(d) He laughs at Mrs Elvsted.
10. What does Tesman bring to Hedda while she talks to Lovborg?
(a) His book.
(b) A letter from Mrs Elvsted.
(c) Punch and cakes.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
11. Which of the following best characterizes Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
(a) Out of control and drunken.
(b) Strong and willful.
(c) Desperate and scheming.
(d) Eloquent and learned.
12. Where did Tesman get Lovborg's manuscript?
(a) He stole it when Lovborg wasn't looking.
(b) Brack gave it to him for safe keeping.
(c) He found it on the side of the road.
(d) He borrowed it to read.
13. What does Tesman confess to feeling about Lovborg's book?
14. Why did Lovborg fight with Miss Diana?
(a) Lovborg wanted more money from her.
(b) Lovborg thought she took his manuscript.
(c) Miss Diana demanded that he give her his book.
(d) Miss Diana wanted him to stop drinking.
15. How many copies of Lovborg's manuscript exist?
(a) One that was divided into two pieces and seperated.
(b) Two, but only one is available because the other is at the Elvsted house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hedda insist on sitting when Mrs Elvsted joins her and Lovborg?
2. What is the usual manner for Brack's arrivals and departures?
3. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he returns at last from Brack's party?
4. What does Hedda threaten, again, to do to Mrs. Elvsted?
5. What influence does Hedda want over Lovborg?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)