|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda threaten, again, to do to Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) Seperate her from Lovborg.
(b) Ruin her in society.
(c) Burn her hair off.
(d) Write to her husband.
2. What does Tesman confess to feeling about Lovborg's book?
3. Where does Hedda assume that Tesman is?
(a) Taking care of Lovborg.
(b) Still partying.
(c) Sleeping at Julle's.
(d) Gone to discuss the professorship.
4. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for not following through on a threat she made a long time ago?
(a) She was a coward and afraid of scandal.
(b) Because she loved Lovborg.
(c) It would have damaged her chances of marrying Tesman.
(d) She knew it was wrong.
5. Which of the following best characterizes the dinner party at Brack's house?
(a) Wild and uncontrolled.
(b) Dull and monotonous.
(c) Poorly attended and brief.
(d) Sophisticated and intellectual.
6. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he returns at last from Brack's party?
(a) He lost control and needs her forgiveness.
(b) He tells her that he loves another woman.
(c) He has no more use for her and they must part.
(d) He tells her that he tried to return for her the previous night but was prevented.
7. What does Tesman plan to do with the manuscript?
(a) Hide it until after the professorship is his.
(b) Return it right away to Lovborg.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Take it to the publisher as his own work.
8. What does Lovborg try to call Hedda when they are alone?
(b) My love.
(d) Mrs Tesman.
9. What does Hedda divulge to Lovborg that Mrs Elvsted did not want known?
(a) That she had been a flame of Tesman's.
(b) That she was anxious about Lovborg's fortitude.
(c) That she had left her husband.
(d) That she was jealous of Hedda.
10. What does Lovborg think Hedda's motives might have been in their prior friendship?
(a) To purge and cleanse him of his ways.
(b) To make him fall in love.
(c) To ruin his reputation.
(d) To keep him from writing.
11. What does Hedda say she is doing at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Destroying Lovborg's future.
(b) Making an opportunity for Tesman.
(c) Burning a child.
(d) Destroying her past.
12. What does Hedda suggest that Lovborg do beautifully?
(a) End it all.
(b) Go to the interview for the professorship.
(c) Write another book.
(d) Apologize to Mrs Elvsted.
13. What is the likely reason that Hedda dreams of controlling another person's destiny?
(a) She aspires to do more good than one person can.
(b) She feels very little power over her own life.
(c) It is simply entertainment.
(d) She wants to be like Mrs Elvsted.
14. What does the letter from Julle tell Tesman?
(a) That Hedda is pregnant.
(b) That Rina is dying and he must hurry to her side.
(c) That the police know he has Lovborg's book, and he must go to the station at once.
(d) That Lovborg was arrested, and needs help.
15. In Act 3, after Brack leaves, what does Hedda do?
(b) Pour herself a drink.
(c) Leaf through Lovborg's manuscript.
(d) Write a letter to Lovborg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes apparent as soon as Hedda and Lovborg converse alone?
2. What time of day is it when Lovborg arrives at the Tesman household?
3. What does Tesman bring to Hedda while she talks to Lovborg?
4. What attribute does he give Mrs Elvsted that he knows Hedda lacks?
5. What happens to the manuscript when Tesman leaves?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)