|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lovborg confess to Hedda about his manuscript?
(a) That he sold it to repay drinking debts.
(b) That he lost it.
(c) That he always hated the book.
(d) That he plagiarized Tesman's work.
2. At the end of Act 2, what does Hedda confess to Mrs Elvsted that she wants out of the whole situation?
(a) To secure the professorship for Tesman.
(b) To influence a human fate.
(c) To win Lovborg's love.
(d) To see Lovborg succumb to weakness.
3. What is the usual manner for Brack's arrivals and departures?
(a) He lets himself in without using the bell so not to disturb anyone.
(b) He comes and goes with Tesman.
(c) He arrives unannounced through the back door and garden.
(d) The front door, as a formal guest.
4. Which of the following best characterizes the dinner party at Brack's house?
(a) Dull and monotonous.
(b) Wild and uncontrolled.
(c) Poorly attended and brief.
(d) Sophisticated and intellectual.
5. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for not following through on a threat she made a long time ago?
(a) It would have damaged her chances of marrying Tesman.
(b) She knew it was wrong.
(c) Because she loved Lovborg.
(d) She was a coward and afraid of scandal.
6. What is Lovborg's plan for his future at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) To end it all.
(b) To succumb to a life of debauchery and drunkeness.
(c) To return to the Elvsted and regain control of his life.
(d) To get the professorship, and perhaps write again.
7. What influence does Hedda want over Lovborg?
(a) She wants revenge.
(b) She wants to ruin him.
(d) She wants him to love her.
8. What does Tesman think of the book Lovborg read out loud at Brack's party?
(a) He thinks it's one of the most remarkable books ever written.
(b) He thinks it is plagiarism of his own work.
(c) He thinks it's dull and simplistic.
(d) He thinks it is interesting but poorly written.
9. What is becoming clear about Brack's motives with Hedda?
(a) Brack is looking after her for her father.
(b) Brack wants a more intimate relationship with Hedda.
(c) Brack is willing to do anything that Hedda asks.
(d) Brack is jealous of Tesman.
10. What attribute does he give Mrs Elvsted that he knows Hedda lacks?
(a) A great understanding of interpersonal relationships.
(c) The courage to act.
11. What does Hedda destroy in the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Lovborg's manuscript.
(b) Her reputation.
(c) Her father's pistols.
(d) Tesman's chances at the professorship.
12. What future does Hedda see for Lovborg?
(a) A future of revelry and irresponsibility.
(b) An act of courageous and beautiful self destruction.
(c) Global recognition of his genius.
(d) The coveted professorship.
13. What does Brack suggest is Lovborg's motive for visiting the Tesman household?
(a) To get leverage to win the professorship.
(b) To use it as a meeting place with Mrs Elvsted.
(c) To get close to Hedda.
(d) To have access to Tesman's work.
14. What does Lovborg know after his night at Brack's?
(a) That he is in love with Hedda.
(b) The he will not be able to maintain a respectable lifestyle.
(c) That it is pointless for him to write books.
(d) That he is the best man for the professorship.
15. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he returns at last from Brack's party?
(a) He has no more use for her and they must part.
(b) He tells her that he tried to return for her the previous night but was prevented.
(c) He tells her that he loves another woman.
(d) He lost control and needs her forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lovborg take with him to Brack's?
2. How does Hedda imagine Lovborg when he returns?
3. What does Lovborg think Hedda's motives might have been in their prior friendship?
4. What is Hedda doing when Tesman returns from Brack's party?
5. What does Hedda first tell Lovborg when he continually declines the cold punch she offered him?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)