|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda destroy in the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Lovborg's manuscript.
(b) Tesman's chances at the professorship.
(c) Her father's pistols.
(d) Her reputation.
2. Which of the following best characterizes Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
(a) Strong and willful.
(b) Desperate and scheming.
(c) Out of control and drunken.
(d) Eloquent and learned.
3. What is Hedda thankful for, in her relationship with Brack?
(a) That Brack is such a good friend with her best interests in mind.
(b) That Brack lives so close by.
(c) That Tesman is not dependent on Brack.
(d) That Brack has no hold over her.
4. What does Lovborg ask Hedda while they are alone?
(a) He asks if there was ever any love in her friendship for him.
(b) He asks her about Mrs Elvsted.
(c) He asks if Tesman is angry with him for competing for the professorship.
(d) He wants to know if she thinks his book is better than Tesman's.
5. What is the thing that Hedda fights hardest for?
6. What does Lovborg know after his night at Brack's?
(a) That it is pointless for him to write books.
(b) That he is the best man for the professorship.
(c) The he will not be able to maintain a respectable lifestyle.
(d) That he is in love with Hedda.
7. After Mrs Elvsted arrives, what does Lovborg talk about?
(a) He compliments Mrs Elvsted and praises the friendship he has with her.
(b) He talks about nothing but his book.
(c) He talks about when he knew Hedda.
(d) He talks about Tesman's research.
8. Where does Hedda insist on sitting when Mrs Elvsted joins her and Lovborg?
(a) At Lovborg's right hand.
(b) Next to Mrs Elvsted where she can watch Lovborg.
(c) In between Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted.
(d) In the seat looking at both of them.
9. What is becoming clear about Brack's motives with Hedda?
(a) Brack is looking after her for her father.
(b) Brack wants a more intimate relationship with Hedda.
(c) Brack is willing to do anything that Hedda asks.
(d) Brack is jealous of Tesman.
10. What does Lovborg try to call Hedda when they are alone?
(a) Mrs Tesman.
(d) My love.
11. When does Hedda do with Lovborg's manuscript when she hears the maid admit Lovborg into the house?
(a) Tosses it in the fire.
(b) Lays it out on the table.
(c) Hides it in a drawer.
(d) Leaves it scattered on the floor.
12. What time of day is it when Lovborg arrives at the Tesman household?
(a) He arrives at ten to take Mrs. Elvsted home.
(b) Late the next day.
(c) Four in the morning.
(d) After daybreak the next morning.
13. What is Mrs. Elvsted's state of mind after the gentlemen leave?
(a) Hopeful and determined.
(b) Jubilant and victorious.
(c) Serene and confident.
(d) Anxious and unhappy.
14. What does Hedda refer to when she says someone has 'vine leaves in their hair'?
(a) That they are free-spirited.
(b) That they are living a wild lifestyle.
(c) That they have become stuck somewhere.
(d) That they are all dressed up.
15. What is the relationship between Lovborg and Miss Diana?
(a) They were former lovers.
(b) Miss Diana is his cousin who has always helped him through hard times.
(c) Lovborg owes Miss Diana money that she hopes to recover by the sale of his book.
(d) Miss Diana works at the police station and remembers him from before his reformation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hedda envision for Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
2. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he returns at last from Brack's party?
3. Where did Tesman get Lovborg's manuscript?
4. At Brack's party, what information does Lovborg withhold?
5. Which of the following best describes the state Lovborg is in when he returns to the Tesman household after Brack's party?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)