|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tesman plan to do with the manuscript?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Take it to the publisher as his own work.
(c) Hide it until after the professorship is his.
(d) Return it right away to Lovborg.
2. Where did Lovborg go after he was at Brack's?
(a) He returned home to sleep.
(b) He went to an especially lively party at Miss Diana's.
(c) He tried to return to take Mrs Elvsted home.
(d) He went to the police to report his missing manuscript.
3. Where did Tesman get Lovborg's manuscript?
(a) He borrowed it to read.
(b) He stole it when Lovborg wasn't looking.
(c) Brack gave it to him for safe keeping.
(d) He found it on the side of the road.
4. What does Mrs. Elvsted liken Lovborg's manuscript to?
(a) A great piece of art.
(b) Lovborg's own life.
(c) Mrs Elvsted's and Lovborg's love.
(d) A child.
5. Before he leaves, what does Lovborg promise to do?
(a) Return at ten to take Mrs. Elvsted home.
(b) Speak to Brack about the professorship.
(c) Finish his book.
(d) Stay sober.
6. Which of the following best characterizes Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
(a) Desperate and scheming.
(b) Eloquent and learned.
(c) Strong and willful.
(d) Out of control and drunken.
7. What does Lovborg try to call Hedda when they are alone?
(b) My love.
(c) Mrs Tesman.
8. What does the letter from Julle tell Tesman?
(a) That Rina is dying and he must hurry to her side.
(b) That Hedda is pregnant.
(c) That Lovborg was arrested, and needs help.
(d) That the police know he has Lovborg's book, and he must go to the station at once.
9. What is the likely reason that Hedda dreams of controlling another person's destiny?
(a) It is simply entertainment.
(b) She feels very little power over her own life.
(c) She aspires to do more good than one person can.
(d) She wants to be like Mrs Elvsted.
10. What does Hedda remember getting Lovborg to confess?
(a) That he wanted to write a great book in his life.
(b) That he loved Hedda.
(c) That he wanted to kill himself.
(d) The details of his dissolute lifestyle.
11. What is Hedda thankful for, in her relationship with Brack?
(a) That Tesman is not dependent on Brack.
(b) That Brack has no hold over her.
(c) That Brack is such a good friend with her best interests in mind.
(d) That Brack lives so close by.
12. What does Hedda suggest that Lovborg do beautifully?
(a) Write another book.
(b) End it all.
(c) Go to the interview for the professorship.
(d) Apologize to Mrs Elvsted.
13. Where does Hedda assume that Tesman is?
(a) Still partying.
(b) Sleeping at Julle's.
(c) Taking care of Lovborg.
(d) Gone to discuss the professorship.
14. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he returns at last from Brack's party?
(a) He tells her that he tried to return for her the previous night but was prevented.
(b) He tells her that he loves another woman.
(c) He has no more use for her and they must part.
(d) He lost control and needs her forgiveness.
15. What time of day is it when Lovborg arrives at the Tesman household?
(a) Late the next day.
(b) Four in the morning.
(c) After daybreak the next morning.
(d) He arrives at ten to take Mrs. Elvsted home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best characterizes the way Hedda feels about Mrs. Elvsted?
2. What does Lovborg take with him to Brack's?
3. What does Tesman bring to Hedda while she talks to Lovborg?
4. What does Berte deliver for Tesman at a very early hour of the morning?
5. What is the relationship between Lovborg and Miss Diana?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)