|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tesman bring to Hedda while she talks to Lovborg?
(a) His book.
(b) Punch and cakes.
(c) A letter from Mrs Elvsted.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
2. Which of the following best describes the state Lovborg is in when he returns to the Tesman household after Brack's party?
(a) Elated and joyous.
(b) Desperate and disheveled.
(c) Sad and mournful.
(d) Contrite and repentant.
3. Which of the following set of people truly acts in the others best interest to the best of their ability in the play HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Hedda and Tesman.
(b) Tesman and Brack.
(c) Hedda and Brack.
(d) Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted.
4. What does Brack suggest is Lovborg's motive for visiting the Tesman household?
(a) To get leverage to win the professorship.
(b) To get close to Hedda.
(c) To use it as a meeting place with Mrs Elvsted.
(d) To have access to Tesman's work.
5. What does Lovborg ask Hedda while they are alone?
(a) He wants to know if she thinks his book is better than Tesman's.
(b) He asks if Tesman is angry with him for competing for the professorship.
(c) He asks if there was ever any love in her friendship for him.
(d) He asks her about Mrs Elvsted.
6. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for not following through on a threat she made a long time ago?
(a) She knew it was wrong.
(b) She was a coward and afraid of scandal.
(c) Because she loved Lovborg.
(d) It would have damaged her chances of marrying Tesman.
7. What does Hedda refer to when she says someone has 'vine leaves in their hair'?
(a) That they are free-spirited.
(b) That they have become stuck somewhere.
(c) That they are all dressed up.
(d) That they are living a wild lifestyle.
8. What does Hedda destroy in the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Her father's pistols.
(b) Tesman's chances at the professorship.
(c) Her reputation.
(d) Lovborg's manuscript.
9. What does Tesman think of the book Lovborg read out loud at Brack's party?
(a) He thinks it's one of the most remarkable books ever written.
(b) He thinks it is interesting but poorly written.
(c) He thinks it's dull and simplistic.
(d) He thinks it is plagiarism of his own work.
10. Of what does Lovborg accuse Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) That she wanted to control him.
(b) That she was trying to prevent him from publishing his book.
(c) That she was trying to credit for his reformation.
(d) That she was working with her husband to watch out for him.
11. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he returns at last from Brack's party?
(a) He lost control and needs her forgiveness.
(b) He has no more use for her and they must part.
(c) He tells her that he tried to return for her the previous night but was prevented.
(d) He tells her that he loves another woman.
12. What does Tesman plan to do with the manuscript?
(a) Take it to the publisher as his own work.
(b) Hide it until after the professorship is his.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Return it right away to Lovborg.
13. What is Mrs. Elvsted's state of mind after the gentlemen leave?
(a) Jubilant and victorious.
(b) Anxious and unhappy.
(c) Hopeful and determined.
(d) Serene and confident.
14. What is the thing that Hedda fights hardest for?
15. What does Hedda remember getting Lovborg to confess?
(a) That he wanted to kill himself.
(b) That he loved Hedda.
(c) That he wanted to write a great book in his life.
(d) The details of his dissolute lifestyle.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Brack's party, what information does Lovborg withhold?
2. What is the reason that Brack gives Hedda for telling her everything that happened to Lovborg the previous evening?
3. What is the likely reason that Hedda dreams of controlling another person's destiny?
4. What does Hedda do with a pistol as Lovborg prepares to leave?
5. What does Hedda say she is doing at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)