|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda show Lovborg when they are first left alone together?
(a) A photo album of her honeymoon.
(b) Her husband's manuscript.
(c) Her house.
(d) Her father's pistols.
2. What is the very important thing that Hedda keeps from Lovborg when he comes to see her in Act 3?
(a) The money he needs to buy back his manuscript.
(b) Information about the professorship.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) Her love and sympathy.
3. What best characterizes the way Hedda feels about Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) She is jealous of her and the influence she has on Lovborg.
(b) She feels Mrs. Elvsted is wrong to leave her husband.
(c) She feels a close affinity to Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) She thinks Mrs. Elvsted is a scheming social climber.
4. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted happened to the manuscript?
(a) That he tore it into bits and scattered it in the fjord.
(b) That Miss Diana has taken it and he can't get it back.
(c) That he sold it to pay his debts.
(d) That it is missing but the police are looking for it.
5. What does Tesman tell Hedda that Lovborg made a long rambling speech about at Brack's party?
(a) The woman who inspired him.
(b) Cultural diversity.
(c) The evils of alcohol.
(d) Lovborg's qualifications for the professorship.
6. What does Hedda remember getting Lovborg to confess?
(a) That he loved Hedda.
(b) That he wanted to write a great book in his life.
(c) The details of his dissolute lifestyle.
(d) That he wanted to kill himself.
7. What does Brack suggest is Lovborg's motive for visiting the Tesman household?
(a) To have access to Tesman's work.
(b) To get leverage to win the professorship.
(c) To use it as a meeting place with Mrs Elvsted.
(d) To get close to Hedda.
8. How many copies of Lovborg's manuscript exist?
(b) One that was divided into two pieces and seperated.
(d) Two, but only one is available because the other is at the Elvsted house.
9. What does Lovborg take with him to Brack's?
(a) A bottle of punch.
(b) A pistol.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) Mrs Elvsted's glove.
10. What does Tesman think of the book Lovborg read out loud at Brack's party?
(a) He thinks it's dull and simplistic.
(b) He thinks it's one of the most remarkable books ever written.
(c) He thinks it is plagiarism of his own work.
(d) He thinks it is interesting but poorly written.
11. What is the likely reason that Hedda dreams of controlling another person's destiny?
(a) She aspires to do more good than one person can.
(b) She feels very little power over her own life.
(c) It is simply entertainment.
(d) She wants to be like Mrs Elvsted.
12. Which of the following best characterizes Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
(a) Out of control and drunken.
(b) Strong and willful.
(c) Desperate and scheming.
(d) Eloquent and learned.
13. What does Hedda understand is the real point of Brack's story?
(a) Brack doesn't want Lovborg around Hedda.
(b) To convince Tesman to surrender the manuscript.
(c) He is afraid Lovborg might hurt someone.
(d) He is afraid a scandal might ruin Tesman.
14. What is the thing that Hedda fights hardest for?
15. How does Hedda imagine Lovborg when he returns?
(a) The talk of the town.
(b) Reckless and free.
(c) Flushed and fearless with vine leaves in his hair.
(d) Responsible and self controlled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tesman bring to Hedda while she talks to Lovborg?
2. What attribute does he give Mrs Elvsted that he knows Hedda lacks?
3. What does Lovborg think Hedda's motives might have been in their prior friendship?
4. At the end of Act 2, what does Hedda confess to Mrs Elvsted that she wants out of the whole situation?
5. What is Lovborg's response to Hedda's revelation about Mr Elvsted?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)