|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Brack's party, what information does Lovborg withhold?
(a) The name of the woman that inspired him.
(b) That there is a second copy of the manuscript.
(c) That he is in love with Hedda.
(d) That his work is plagiarized from Tesman's.
2. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted when he returns at last from Brack's party?
(a) He tells her that he tried to return for her the previous night but was prevented.
(b) He tells her that he loves another woman.
(c) He has no more use for her and they must part.
(d) He lost control and needs her forgiveness.
3. What does Hedda threaten, again, to do to Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) Ruin her in society.
(b) Seperate her from Lovborg.
(c) Burn her hair off.
(d) Write to her husband.
4. Where does Hedda assume that Tesman is?
(a) Taking care of Lovborg.
(b) Still partying.
(c) Sleeping at Julle's.
(d) Gone to discuss the professorship.
5. What does Berte deliver for Tesman at a very early hour of the morning?
(a) A letter from Hedda's past.
(b) A package.
(c) A letter from Julle.
(d) A manuscript.
6. Where did Lovborg go after he was at Brack's?
(a) He went to the police to report his missing manuscript.
(b) He went to an especially lively party at Miss Diana's.
(c) He tried to return to take Mrs Elvsted home.
(d) He returned home to sleep.
7. What does Tesman tell Hedda that Lovborg made a long rambling speech about at Brack's party?
(a) Cultural diversity.
(b) Lovborg's qualifications for the professorship.
(c) The woman who inspired him.
(d) The evils of alcohol.
8. What does Mrs. Elvsted liken Lovborg's manuscript to?
(a) A great piece of art.
(b) A child.
(c) Lovborg's own life.
(d) Mrs Elvsted's and Lovborg's love.
9. What does Lovborg think Hedda's motives might have been in their prior friendship?
(a) To purge and cleanse him of his ways.
(b) To make him fall in love.
(c) To ruin his reputation.
(d) To keep him from writing.
10. What does Tesman bring to Hedda while she talks to Lovborg?
(a) Punch and cakes.
(b) A letter from Mrs Elvsted.
(c) His book.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
11. What attribute does he give Mrs Elvsted that he knows Hedda lacks?
(b) A great understanding of interpersonal relationships.
(c) The courage to act.
12. What is becoming clear about Brack's motives with Hedda?
(a) Brack wants a more intimate relationship with Hedda.
(b) Brack is willing to do anything that Hedda asks.
(c) Brack is looking after her for her father.
(d) Brack is jealous of Tesman.
13. What does Hedda understand is the real point of Brack's story?
(a) To convince Tesman to surrender the manuscript.
(b) He is afraid Lovborg might hurt someone.
(c) He is afraid a scandal might ruin Tesman.
(d) Brack doesn't want Lovborg around Hedda.
14. What future does Hedda see for Lovborg?
(a) A future of revelry and irresponsibility.
(b) An act of courageous and beautiful self destruction.
(c) Global recognition of his genius.
(d) The coveted professorship.
15. When does Hedda do with Lovborg's manuscript when she hears the maid admit Lovborg into the house?
(a) Tosses it in the fire.
(b) Hides it in a drawer.
(c) Lays it out on the table.
(d) Leaves it scattered on the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hedda show Lovborg when they are first left alone together?
2. What does Tesman plan to do with the manuscript?
3. What is Mrs. Elvsted's state of mind after the gentlemen leave?
4. What does Hedda say she is doing at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
5. What does Tesman think of the book Lovborg read out loud at Brack's party?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)