|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following set of people truly acts in the others best interest to the best of their ability in the play HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Hedda and Brack.
(b) Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted.
(c) Tesman and Brack.
(d) Hedda and Tesman.
2. What does Hedda say she is doing at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Burning a child.
(b) Making an opportunity for Tesman.
(c) Destroying her past.
(d) Destroying Lovborg's future.
3. Where did Lovborg go after he was at Brack's?
(a) He went to the police to report his missing manuscript.
(b) He tried to return to take Mrs Elvsted home.
(c) He went to an especially lively party at Miss Diana's.
(d) He returned home to sleep.
4. What does Lovborg think Hedda's motives might have been in their prior friendship?
(a) To purge and cleanse him of his ways.
(b) To keep him from writing.
(c) To make him fall in love.
(d) To ruin his reputation.
5. What best characterizes the way Hedda feels about Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) She feels a close affinity to Mrs. Elvsted.
(b) She feels Mrs. Elvsted is wrong to leave her husband.
(c) She is jealous of her and the influence she has on Lovborg.
(d) She thinks Mrs. Elvsted is a scheming social climber.
6. What does Hedda threaten, again, to do to Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) Write to her husband.
(b) Seperate her from Lovborg.
(c) Burn her hair off.
(d) Ruin her in society.
7. Which of the following best characterizes Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
(a) Desperate and scheming.
(b) Eloquent and learned.
(c) Strong and willful.
(d) Out of control and drunken.
8. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted happened to the manuscript?
(a) That he sold it to pay his debts.
(b) That he tore it into bits and scattered it in the fjord.
(c) That Miss Diana has taken it and he can't get it back.
(d) That it is missing but the police are looking for it.
9. What is Hedda doing when Tesman returns from Brack's party?
(a) Talking with Mrs Elvsted.
(b) Writing a letter.
(c) Stoking the fire.
(d) Reading Lovborg's book.
10. What does Hedda show Lovborg when they are first left alone together?
(a) Her husband's manuscript.
(b) Her father's pistols.
(c) A photo album of her honeymoon.
(d) Her house.
11. What is the likely reason that Hedda dreams of controlling another person's destiny?
(a) She feels very little power over her own life.
(b) She wants to be like Mrs Elvsted.
(c) She aspires to do more good than one person can.
(d) It is simply entertainment.
12. What does Hedda destroy in the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Her reputation.
(b) Tesman's chances at the professorship.
(c) Lovborg's manuscript.
(d) Her father's pistols.
13. Where did Tesman get Lovborg's manuscript?
(a) He found it on the side of the road.
(b) He stole it when Lovborg wasn't looking.
(c) Brack gave it to him for safe keeping.
(d) He borrowed it to read.
14. What is the thing that Hedda fights hardest for?
15. What does Hedda first tell Lovborg when he continually declines the cold punch she offered him?
(a) That he had changed greatly from the person she knew.
(b) That she admired his fortitude.
(c) That Mrs Elvsted had trained him well.
(d) That it makes him appear unsure of himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hedda insist on sitting when Mrs Elvsted joins her and Lovborg?
2. What is Lovborg's plan for his future at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
3. What reason does Hedda give Lovborg for not following through on a threat she made a long time ago?
4. What does Tesman tell Hedda that Lovborg made a long rambling speech about at Brack's party?
5. At Brack's party, what information does Lovborg withhold?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)