|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda threaten, again, to do to Mrs. Elvsted?
(a) Write to her husband.
(b) Seperate her from Lovborg.
(c) Burn her hair off.
(d) Ruin her in society.
2. What does Tesman think of the book Lovborg read out loud at Brack's party?
(a) He thinks it is interesting but poorly written.
(b) He thinks it is plagiarism of his own work.
(c) He thinks it's dull and simplistic.
(d) He thinks it's one of the most remarkable books ever written.
3. What does Mrs. Elvsted liken Lovborg's manuscript to?
(a) Mrs Elvsted's and Lovborg's love.
(b) Lovborg's own life.
(c) A child.
(d) A great piece of art.
4. What did Hedda envision for Lovborg the night of Brack's party?
(a) For society to recognize Lovborg's complete reformation.
(b) The end of Lovborg's career so that Tesman would get the professorship.
(c) For Lovborg to be independent and in control of himself without Mrs Elvsted's influence.
(d) For Lovborg to be recognized as a great scholar.
5. At the end of Act 2, what does Hedda confess to Mrs Elvsted that she wants out of the whole situation?
(a) To win Lovborg's love.
(b) To see Lovborg succumb to weakness.
(c) To secure the professorship for Tesman.
(d) To influence a human fate.
6. Why did Lovborg fight with Miss Diana?
(a) Miss Diana demanded that he give her his book.
(b) Lovborg wanted more money from her.
(c) Lovborg thought she took his manuscript.
(d) Miss Diana wanted him to stop drinking.
7. What are Mrs. Elvsted's plans when she leaves the Tesman household in Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) She has no plans and nowhere to go.
(b) She is going to return to her husband.
(c) She is going to look for the missing manuscript.
(d) She is going to attempt to purchase the manuscript back from Miss Diana.
8. What is the relationship between Lovborg and Miss Diana?
(a) They were former lovers.
(b) Lovborg owes Miss Diana money that she hopes to recover by the sale of his book.
(c) Miss Diana is his cousin who has always helped him through hard times.
(d) Miss Diana works at the police station and remembers him from before his reformation.
9. What time of day is it when Lovborg arrives at the Tesman household?
(a) He arrives at ten to take Mrs. Elvsted home.
(b) After daybreak the next morning.
(c) Four in the morning.
(d) Late the next day.
10. What does the letter from Julle tell Tesman?
(a) That the police know he has Lovborg's book, and he must go to the station at once.
(b) That Rina is dying and he must hurry to her side.
(c) That Hedda is pregnant.
(d) That Lovborg was arrested, and needs help.
11. Which of the following best describes the state Lovborg is in when he returns to the Tesman household after Brack's party?
(a) Elated and joyous.
(b) Sad and mournful.
(c) Desperate and disheveled.
(d) Contrite and repentant.
12. What does Lovborg try to call Hedda when they are alone?
(b) Mrs Tesman.
(c) My love.
13. What does Lovborg take with him to Brack's?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A bottle of punch.
(c) Mrs Elvsted's glove.
(d) His manuscript.
14. How does Hedda imagine Lovborg when he returns?
(a) The talk of the town.
(b) Responsible and self controlled.
(c) Flushed and fearless with vine leaves in his hair.
(d) Reckless and free.
15. What does Hedda say she is doing at the end of Act 3 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Destroying her past.
(b) Burning a child.
(c) Destroying Lovborg's future.
(d) Making an opportunity for Tesman.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Hedda do with Lovborg's manuscript when she hears the maid admit Lovborg into the house?
2. What does Lovborg think Hedda's motives might have been in their prior friendship?
3. What is the usual manner for Brack's arrivals and departures?
4. Which of the following best characterizes the dinner party at Brack's house?
5. Where did Lovborg go after he was at Brack's?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)