|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is becoming clear about Brack's motives with Hedda?
(a) Brack is jealous of Tesman.
(b) Brack is looking after her for her father.
(c) Brack wants a more intimate relationship with Hedda.
(d) Brack is willing to do anything that Hedda asks.
2. What does Lovborg ask Hedda while they are alone?
(a) He asks if there was ever any love in her friendship for him.
(b) He asks if Tesman is angry with him for competing for the professorship.
(c) He asks her about Mrs Elvsted.
(d) He wants to know if she thinks his book is better than Tesman's.
3. What does Hedda do with a pistol as Lovborg prepares to leave?
(a) She gives it to him as a 'keepsake'.
(b) She tries to hide it from Lovborg.
(c) She lays it on the table in the entry way.
(d) She fires it in the air.
4. What is Mrs. Elvsted's state of mind after the gentlemen leave?
(a) Hopeful and determined.
(b) Anxious and unhappy.
(c) Serene and confident.
(d) Jubilant and victorious.
5. What does Hedda show Lovborg when they are first left alone together?
(a) Her father's pistols.
(b) Her house.
(c) A photo album of her honeymoon.
(d) Her husband's manuscript.
6. What does Berte deliver for Tesman at a very early hour of the morning?
(a) A letter from Julle.
(b) A letter from Hedda's past.
(c) A package.
(d) A manuscript.
7. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted happened to the manuscript?
(a) That Miss Diana has taken it and he can't get it back.
(b) That he sold it to pay his debts.
(c) That it is missing but the police are looking for it.
(d) That he tore it into bits and scattered it in the fjord.
8. What does Lovborg know after his night at Brack's?
(a) That it is pointless for him to write books.
(b) The he will not be able to maintain a respectable lifestyle.
(c) That he is the best man for the professorship.
(d) That he is in love with Hedda.
9. Which of the following best characterizes the dinner party at Brack's house?
(a) Sophisticated and intellectual.
(b) Dull and monotonous.
(c) Poorly attended and brief.
(d) Wild and uncontrolled.
10. What future does Hedda see for Lovborg?
(a) A future of revelry and irresponsibility.
(b) An act of courageous and beautiful self destruction.
(c) The coveted professorship.
(d) Global recognition of his genius.
11. What is the very important thing that Hedda keeps from Lovborg when he comes to see her in Act 3?
(a) His manuscript.
(b) Information about the professorship.
(c) Her love and sympathy.
(d) The money he needs to buy back his manuscript.
12. What does Tesman plan to do with the manuscript?
(a) Return it right away to Lovborg.
(b) Take it to the publisher as his own work.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Hide it until after the professorship is his.
13. Where does Hedda insist on sitting when Mrs Elvsted joins her and Lovborg?
(a) In between Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted.
(b) In the seat looking at both of them.
(c) Next to Mrs Elvsted where she can watch Lovborg.
(d) At Lovborg's right hand.
14. What does Lovborg take with him to Brack's?
(a) A pistol.
(b) His manuscript.
(c) Mrs Elvsted's glove.
(d) A bottle of punch.
15. What does Hedda understand is the real point of Brack's story?
(a) To convince Tesman to surrender the manuscript.
(b) Brack doesn't want Lovborg around Hedda.
(c) He is afraid a scandal might ruin Tesman.
(d) He is afraid Lovborg might hurt someone.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mrs Elvsted arrives, what does Lovborg talk about?
2. What is Mrs. Elvsted waiting for in HEDDA GABLER at the beginning of Act 3?
3. What influence does Hedda want over Lovborg?
4. Where did Tesman get Lovborg's manuscript?
5. Why did Lovborg fight with Miss Diana?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)