|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of Jorgen Tesman?
(a) Merchant and importer.
(b) Academic researcher and aspiring professor.
(c) Tesman does not work.
2. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
(a) Intimidated and reverent.
(b) Afectionate and doting.
(c) Tolerant and accepting.
(d) Bossy and callous.
3. What does Lovborg want Tesman to see?
(a) That he is a potential candidate for the professorship.
(b) Evidence of his reformed ways.
(c) The manuscript to his next book.
(d) That he is a better writer than Tesman.
4. In Act 2, why does Julle send word she will not be visiting Hedda and Tesman that evening?
(a) She is still ofended about the hat.
(b) She does not feel welcome.
(c) Rina is getting worse.
(d) She has another social engagement.
5. What does Lovborg say about his recently published book?
(a) There is nothing much in it, that he wrote a book everyone would agree with.
(b) It is important to him that it sells well.
(c) It is his great masterpiece.
(d) He is excited it is a success.
6. In the second act, what do we learn about the hat incident?
(a) That Hedda was jealous of the hat.
(b) Hedda only pretended she thought the hat belonged to the maid.
(c) That Julle is still offended.
(d) That Hedda is sorry she said anything.
7. Does Berte leave her belongings lying around?
(a) No, Hedda had left it and forgotten about it.
(b) Yes, and they dismissed her for it.
(c) No, the item belonged to Julle.
(d) Yes, they were always returning things to her.
8. Why are people concerned about Rina?
(a) She is about to have a child.
(b) She is elderly and bedridden.
(c) She is missing.
(d) She recently offended an important man.
9. What is the only thing that Mrs Elvsted knows about the woman whose shadow stands between her and Lovborg?
(a) She had rejected Lovborg for another man.
(b) She was a remarkable beauty, with red hair.
(c) She tried to shoot him with a pistol.
(d) Lovborg had asked her to marry him.
10. To what does Brack invite Tesman?
(a) A party at the home of a wealthy relative.
(b) A discussion of the professorship.
(c) A literary gathering.
(d) A stag dinner.
11. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(b) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
(c) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(d) She was a school teacher.
12. What does Hedda claim she has to keep her entertained at the end of Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) A busy social life.
(b) A growing family.
(c) Her father's pistols.
(d) A charming home.
13. What does Hedda do when Brack arrives in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Expresses her pleasure at being alone with Brack.
(b) HideS Tesman's manuscript.
(c) ShootS at him with her pistol.
(d) Wishes Tesman were at home so she wouldn't have to be alone with Brack.
14. In Act 2, who are the two people expected to be visiting the Tesman home in the evening?
(a) Mrs Elvsted and Lovborg.
(b) Lovborg and Brack.
(c) Berte and Lovborg.
(d) Julle and Mrs Elvsted.
15. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
(a) She has never loved him.
(b) She can't understand why she doesn't love him.
(c) She admires him greatly and will grow to love him.
(d) She adores him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
2. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
3. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
4. Why is Mrs Elvsted uneasy talking about her home life?
5. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)