|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Tesman tell Brack about Tesman and Hedda's trip?
(a) Hedda had a very good time.
(b) They spent every moment together.
(c) It was long and difficult.
(d) They missed their home terribly.
2. Does Berte leave her belongings lying around?
(a) Yes, they were always returning things to her.
(b) No, the item belonged to Julle.
(c) No, Hedda had left it and forgotten about it.
(d) Yes, and they dismissed her for it.
3. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Concern and honesty.
(b) Kindness and friendship.
(c) Respect and fear.
(d) Jealousy and disdain.
4. From where are Tesman and Hedda returning?
(a) Visiting a relative that is unwell.
(b) Their honeymoon.
(c) The funeral of Hedda's father.
(d) Spending the summer in the country.
5. What state of mind is Mrs Elvsted in when she arrives?
(a) Excited and bubbly.
(b) Confident and cheery.
(c) Concerned and thoughtful.
(d) Nervous and desperate.
6. In Act 2, why does Julle send word she will not be visiting Hedda and Tesman that evening?
(a) She is still ofended about the hat.
(b) She does not feel welcome.
(c) She has another social engagement.
(d) Rina is getting worse.
7. Which of the following best characterizes Mrs Elvsted's feelings regarding Lovborg?
(a) Proud, sure, and boastful.
(b) Fearful, thwarted, and rancorous.
(c) Skeptical and cautious.
(d) Protective, worried, and adoring.
8. What does Ejlert Lovborg do shortly after publishing his book?
(a) Applies for a professorship.
(b) Falls in love with Diana, a red headed singer.
(c) Leaves the Elvsted household to return to town.
(d) Inherits a fortune.
9. Why is Mrs Elvsted uneasy talking about her home life?
(a) Because her husband is an old flame of Hedda's.
(b) Because her husband is unfaithful.
(c) Because she knows Hedda is unhappy.
(d) Because she has just left her husband.
10. What does Hedda threaten to do to Berte in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Send her to care for Rina.
(b) Cut her hair off.
(c) Dismiss her.
(d) Visit her every day.
11. What is Lovborg going to do for Tesman?
(a) Wait until Tesman has the professorship before publishing his book.
(b) Stay with Hedda so Tesman can leave for Brack's party.
(c) Help him with his book.
(d) Recommend Tesman for another post if Lovborg is rewarded the professorship.
12. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
(a) Brack apologizes for the intrusion and withdraws.
(b) Brack is uncomfortable and makes awkward conversation.
(c) Brack is pleased and says he would have come earlier.
(d) Brack tells Hedda a secret.
13. What is the profession of Jorgen Tesman?
(b) Academic researcher and aspiring professor.
(c) Tesman does not work.
(d) Merchant and importer.
14. Why does Hedda tell Brack is the reason she told Tesman she wanted to live in this particular house?
(a) Because she knew he wanted it.
(b) So she could be close to people she liked.
(c) To fill an awkward silence in conversation.
(d) Because it was the nicest one Tesman could afford.
15. To what does Brack invite Tesman?
(a) A discussion of the professorship.
(b) A stag dinner.
(c) A party at the home of a wealthy relative.
(d) A literary gathering.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lovborg write his book?
2. What does Hedda do when Brack arrives in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
3. How does Hedda feel about the possibility of motherhood?
4. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
5. Which are the most appropriate words to describe Hedda in the first act?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)