|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
(a) He was a distant relation.
(b) He was the protege of Mr Elvsted.
(c) He tutored the children.
(d) He was a close friend of Mr Elvsted.
2. What is Hedda's state of mind after Julle leaves?
(a) Resigned and content.
(b) Happy to be home.
(c) Angry and tense.
(d) Tired and overwhelmed.
3. Who does Tesman invite over to their house for evening in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Ejlert Lovborg.
(c) Mrs Elvsted.
4. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
(a) Seeing the influence of small actions.
(b) Foreseeing the direction society will take.
(c) Collecting and arranging.
(d) Making sense of confusing information.
5. What are Mrs Elvsted's plans for the future?
(a) Write and publish a book of her own.
(b) None, other than to be near Ejlert Lovborg.
(c) Start formal divorce proceedings.
(d) Stay in town as long as her husband will agree to.
6. What does Hedda dream of convincing Tesman to do?
(a) Go into politics.
(b) Become more fashionable.
(c) Get his book published.
(d) Move to the country.
7. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
(a) Berte is Rina's poor relative from the country.
(c) Berte nursed Rina for several years.
(d) Rina owes Berte money.
8. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
(b) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(c) She was a school teacher.
(d) She was the popular daughter of a general.
9. What does Lovborg say about his recently published book?
(a) It is important to him that it sells well.
(b) It is his great masterpiece.
(c) He is excited it is a success.
(d) There is nothing much in it, that he wrote a book everyone would agree with.
10. From where are Tesman and Hedda returning?
(a) The funeral of Hedda's father.
(b) Spending the summer in the country.
(c) Their honeymoon.
(d) Visiting a relative that is unwell.
11. What does Tesman bring home with him in the second act of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) A new instrument for Hedda.
(b) A letter from Mr Elvsted.
(c) A bouquet of flowers.
(d) A pile of books for his research.
12. What does Ejlert Lovborg do shortly after publishing his book?
(a) Applies for a professorship.
(b) Inherits a fortune.
(c) Leaves the Elvsted household to return to town.
(d) Falls in love with Diana, a red headed singer.
13. Does Berte leave her belongings lying around?
(a) No, Hedda had left it and forgotten about it.
(b) Yes, and they dismissed her for it.
(c) Yes, they were always returning things to her.
(d) No, the item belonged to Julle.
14. When did Lovborg write his book?
(a) In his "good days" before he started drinking.
(b) Within the year prior to the happenings in Hedda Gabler.
(c) During a long solitary vacation.
(d) When he was unter the tutelage of Mr Elvsted.
15. Which answer best describes Tesman's perception of Hedda?
(a) Demanding and restrictive.
(b) Flighty and vacant.
(c) Rude and ungrateful.
(d) Beautiful and adored.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hedda claim she has to keep her entertained at the end of Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
2. What kept Hedda and Tesman up late the night of their return?
3. What does Hedda want at the end of 1Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
4. How were the furnishings in the house paid for?
5. What is Lovborg going to do for Tesman?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)