|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item in Hedda and Tesman's house has been moved out of view in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) The bouquet of flowers.
(b) The picture of Rina.
(c) The pistols.
(d) Hedda's piano.
2. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(b) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
(c) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(d) She was a school teacher.
3. From where are Tesman and Hedda returning?
(a) Their honeymoon.
(b) Spending the summer in the country.
(c) The funeral of Hedda's father.
(d) Visiting a relative that is unwell.
4. What state of mind is Mrs Elvsted in when she arrives?
(a) Concerned and thoughtful.
(b) Excited and bubbly.
(c) Nervous and desperate.
(d) Confident and cheery.
5. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
(a) Tolerant and accepting.
(b) Intimidated and reverent.
(c) Bossy and callous.
(d) Afectionate and doting.
6. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
(a) He tutored the children.
(b) He was a close friend of Mr Elvsted.
(c) He was the protege of Mr Elvsted.
(d) He was a distant relation.
7. How long has Mrs Elvsted been in town?
(a) She has always lived here.
(b) Her whole family recently moved into town from the country.
(c) She is very recently arrived.
(d) She moved to town some years ago.
8. What does Mrs Elvsted ask of Tesman in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) To let Lovborg have the professorship.
(b) To continue Lovborg's work.
(c) To let her know what he thinks of Lovborg's book.
(d) To be kind to Lovborg and keep a watchful eye on him.
9. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
(a) Brack is pleased and says he would have come earlier.
(b) Brack is uncomfortable and makes awkward conversation.
(c) Brack apologizes for the intrusion and withdraws.
(d) Brack tells Hedda a secret.
10. What does Tesman ask of Hedda in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) To be less distant with Julle.
(b) To show her affection towards him.
(c) To try and get out in society.
(d) To help him with his work.
11. What does Lovborg say about his recently published book?
(a) It is important to him that it sells well.
(b) It is his great masterpiece.
(c) There is nothing much in it, that he wrote a book everyone would agree with.
(d) He is excited it is a success.
12. What does Hedda do when Brack arrives in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) ShootS at him with her pistol.
(b) Wishes Tesman were at home so she wouldn't have to be alone with Brack.
(c) Expresses her pleasure at being alone with Brack.
(d) HideS Tesman's manuscript.
13. Which of the following best compares the nature of Tesman's book to the nature of Lovborg's book?
(a) The useful to the superfluous.
(b) The mundane to the visionary.
(c) The scholarly to the chaotic.
(d) The truth to the fanciful.
14. What does Tesman bring home with him in the second act of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) A new instrument for Hedda.
(b) A letter from Mr Elvsted.
(c) A bouquet of flowers.
(d) A pile of books for his research.
15. When did Lovborg write his book?
(a) In his "good days" before he started drinking.
(b) Within the year prior to the happenings in Hedda Gabler.
(c) When he was unter the tutelage of Mr Elvsted.
(d) During a long solitary vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julle give to Tesman before she leaves?
2. Who is the bouquet of flowers from?
3. What kind of friends were Mrs Elvsted and Hedda in school?
4. How were the furnishings in the house paid for?
5. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)