|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best compares the nature of Tesman's book to the nature of Lovborg's book?
(a) The useful to the superfluous.
(b) The truth to the fanciful.
(c) The mundane to the visionary.
(d) The scholarly to the chaotic.
2. What instrument makes its first appearance in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) A harp.
(b) A flute.
(c) A piano.
(d) A violin.
3. What does Mrs Elvsted ask of Tesman in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) To let her know what he thinks of Lovborg's book.
(b) To let Lovborg have the professorship.
(c) To continue Lovborg's work.
(d) To be kind to Lovborg and keep a watchful eye on him.
4. Why is the professorship so important to Tesman?
(a) He desperately wants some academic recognition.
(b) So he will finally outshine Lovborg.
(c) He wants to make Hedda and Julle proud of him.
(d) He based his marriage and finances on the prospects of the job.
5. What does Julle do as soon as she enters the room in the beginning of the first act?
(a) Hugs Hedda.
(b) Writes a letter.
(c) Reads a manuscript.
(d) Opens a window.
6. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
(a) Tolerant and accepting.
(b) Bossy and callous.
(c) Afectionate and doting.
(d) Intimidated and reverent.
7. In Act 1, what is the role of Berte in the household?
(a) Visiting relative.
8. What does Tesman ask of Hedda in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) To help him with his work.
(b) To show her affection towards him.
(c) To try and get out in society.
(d) To be less distant with Julle.
9. What are people suggesting when they note Hedda has "filled out" during her travels?
(a) That she lives a life of leisure.
(b) That she doesn't love her husband.
(c) That she is letting herself go.
(d) That she is pregnant.
10. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(b) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(c) She was a school teacher.
(d) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
11. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
(a) He tutored the children.
(b) He was a distant relation.
(c) He was the protege of Mr Elvsted.
(d) He was a close friend of Mr Elvsted.
12. Which answer best describes Tesman's perception of Hedda?
(a) Flighty and vacant.
(b) Rude and ungrateful.
(c) Beautiful and adored.
(d) Demanding and restrictive.
13. What did Julle buy in honor of Hedda?
(a) A dress.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A book.
(d) A hat.
14. What is the profession of Jorgen Tesman?
(b) Academic researcher and aspiring professor.
(c) Tesman does not work.
(d) Merchant and importer.
15. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(a) Cautiously agree to go.
(b) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
(c) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tesman tell Brack about Tesman and Hedda's trip?
2. What kept Hedda and Tesman up late the night of their return?
3. To what does Brack invite Tesman?
4. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
5. Why did Tesman buy the house he did?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)