|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tesman thank Brack for when Brack arrives at the house for the first time in Act 1?
(a) Coming so promptly after receiving his letter.
(b) Always being a good friend to Hedda.
(c) Making the financial arrangements for the house.
(d) Looking after Julle while they were away.
2. Which are the most appropriate words to describe Hedda in the first act?
(a) Relaxed and lazy.
(b) Loving and kind.
(c) Particular and demanding.
(d) Professional and competent.
3. What does Ejlert Lovborg do shortly after publishing his book?
(a) Inherits a fortune.
(b) Leaves the Elvsted household to return to town.
(c) Applies for a professorship.
(d) Falls in love with Diana, a red headed singer.
4. What part of Mrs Elvsted does Hedda find "irritating"?
(a) Her manner of speaking.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her mannerisms.
5. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
(a) Tolerant and accepting.
(b) Afectionate and doting.
(c) Bossy and callous.
(d) Intimidated and reverent.
6. How is Lovborg's book received by the public?
(a) It is disputed by the academic community.
(b) It is very well received and called 'a sensation'.
(c) It becomes the most popular novel of the time.
(d) It is ridiculed.
7. How does Hedda feel about the possibility of motherhood?
(a) She can't wait to hear children's voices in the house.
(b) She has no leaning toward such responsibilities.
(c) She looks forward to it to keep her occupied.
(d) She doesn't think she is capable of bearing children.
8. What was the basis of the close friendship shared by Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Hard times that brought them together.
(b) Long walks in the country.
(c) Similar personalities.
(d) Working together on Lovborg's book.
9. What is the only thing that Mrs Elvsted knows about the woman whose shadow stands between her and Lovborg?
(a) She tried to shoot him with a pistol.
(b) Lovborg had asked her to marry him.
(c) She was a remarkable beauty, with red hair.
(d) She had rejected Lovborg for another man.
10. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(a) Cautiously agree to go.
(b) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
(d) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
11. What does Hedda tell Brack about her trip with Tesman?
(a) She liked the people she met abroad.
(b) She wishes she never had to return home.
(c) She missed her wonderful home.
(d) She was very bored with only Tesman for company.
12. In Act 1, what is the role of Berte in the household?
(c) Visiting relative.
13. What does Hedda want at the end of 1Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) A salon, a footman, and a horse.
(b) Peace from the world to be with her family.
(c) A child.
(d) To be reunited with old friends.
14. When did Lovborg write his book?
(a) During a long solitary vacation.
(b) When he was unter the tutelage of Mr Elvsted.
(c) In his "good days" before he started drinking.
(d) Within the year prior to the happenings in Hedda Gabler.
15. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
(a) Brack tells Hedda a secret.
(b) Brack is pleased and says he would have come earlier.
(c) Brack is uncomfortable and makes awkward conversation.
(d) Brack apologizes for the intrusion and withdraws.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, who are the two people expected to be visiting the Tesman home in the evening?
2. When Hedda and Brack are discussing a trip in a compartment on a train, what are they really discussing?
3. Which of the following best describes Mrs Elvsted's marriage?
4. Why did Tesman buy the house he did?
5. When Julle leaves at the end of Act 1, what are her plans for returning?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)