|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the profession of Jorgen Tesman?
(a) Merchant and importer.
(b) Academic researcher and aspiring professor.
(d) Tesman does not work.
2. Which are the most appropriate words to describe Hedda in the first act?
(a) Relaxed and lazy.
(b) Professional and competent.
(c) Loving and kind.
(d) Particular and demanding.
3. How does Hedda feel about the house she lives in?
(a) She loves the way the house has been furnished.
(b) She thinks the house will be good for raising a family.
(c) She thinks the house is plain and depressing.
(d) She thinks it smells of old ladies and death.
4. Who is the bouquet of flowers from?
(a) Ejlert Lovborg.
(c) The sender remains anonymous.
(d) Mrs Elvsted.
5. Why are people concerned about Rina?
(a) She is about to have a child.
(b) She recently offended an important man.
(c) She is missing.
(d) She is elderly and bedridden.
6. What does Tesman thank Brack for when Brack arrives at the house for the first time in Act 1?
(a) Making the financial arrangements for the house.
(b) Looking after Julle while they were away.
(c) Always being a good friend to Hedda.
(d) Coming so promptly after receiving his letter.
7. In the second act, what do we learn about the hat incident?
(a) That Hedda is sorry she said anything.
(b) Hedda only pretended she thought the hat belonged to the maid.
(c) That Julle is still offended.
(d) That Hedda was jealous of the hat.
8. What did Tesman tell Brack about Tesman and Hedda's trip?
(a) It was long and difficult.
(b) They spent every moment together.
(c) Hedda had a very good time.
(d) They missed their home terribly.
9. In Act 2, who are the two people expected to be visiting the Tesman home in the evening?
(a) Mrs Elvsted and Lovborg.
(b) Julle and Mrs Elvsted.
(c) Berte and Lovborg.
(d) Lovborg and Brack.
10. What does Julle do as soon as she enters the room in the beginning of the first act?
(a) Hugs Hedda.
(b) Reads a manuscript.
(c) Writes a letter.
(d) Opens a window.
11. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
12. Who are the first two characters to appear in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Jorgen and Hedda.
(b) Tesman and Berte.
(c) Julle and Tesman.
(d) Julle and Berte.
13. Why might Tesman not get the professorship he was promised?
(a) The subject of Tesman's book is irrevelant to the post.
(b) Lovborg is also being considered for the post.
(c) Tesman was gone too long on his travels.
(d) There are doubts about Tesman's character.
14. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Concern and honesty.
(b) Kindness and friendship.
(c) Jealousy and disdain.
(d) Respect and fear.
15. What is the relationship between Tesman and Julle in the play, HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Nephew and aunt.
(b) Brother and sister.
(d) Close friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hedda's state of mind after Julle leaves?
2. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
3. What does Mrs Elvsted tell Hedda that Lovborg has done for her specifically because he knew she wanted it?
4. What is Lovborg going to do for Tesman?
5. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)