|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julle give to Tesman before she leaves?
(a) His favorite slippers.
(b) A hat.
(c) A suitcase of documents.
(d) An unexplained package.
2. What does Hedda do when Brack arrives in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) HideS Tesman's manuscript.
(b) ShootS at him with her pistol.
(c) Wishes Tesman were at home so she wouldn't have to be alone with Brack.
(d) Expresses her pleasure at being alone with Brack.
3. What are people suggesting when they note Hedda has "filled out" during her travels?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she is letting herself go.
(c) That she doesn't love her husband.
(d) That she lives a life of leisure.
4. When Hedda and Brack are discussing a trip in a compartment on a train, what are they really discussing?
(a) Getting away from society.
(b) Fidelity in marriage.
(c) The unexpected in life.
(d) The importance of having good friends close by.
5. What is Lovborg going to do for Tesman?
(a) Help him with his book.
(b) Recommend Tesman for another post if Lovborg is rewarded the professorship.
(c) Stay with Hedda so Tesman can leave for Brack's party.
(d) Wait until Tesman has the professorship before publishing his book.
6. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
(a) Brack is pleased and says he would have come earlier.
(b) Brack apologizes for the intrusion and withdraws.
(c) Brack tells Hedda a secret.
(d) Brack is uncomfortable and makes awkward conversation.
7. In the second act, what do we learn about the hat incident?
(a) That Julle is still offended.
(b) Hedda only pretended she thought the hat belonged to the maid.
(c) That Hedda is sorry she said anything.
(d) That Hedda was jealous of the hat.
8. How were the furnishings in the house paid for?
(a) Tesman could afford the furnishings with his salary.
(b) Berte lent Tesman the money to buy them.
(c) Julle mortgaged her annuity to pay for the furnishings.
(d) Hedda's inheritance paid for everything.
9. What does Mrs Elvsted tell Hedda that Lovborg has done for her specifically because he knew she wanted it?
(a) Seperates her from her husband.
(b) Writes a book.
(c) Returns to town.
(d) Gives up his dissolute ways.
10. Why does Hedda tell Brack is the reason she told Tesman she wanted to live in this particular house?
(a) To fill an awkward silence in conversation.
(b) Because it was the nicest one Tesman could afford.
(c) Because she knew he wanted it.
(d) So she could be close to people she liked.
11. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Respect and fear.
(b) Jealousy and disdain.
(c) Concern and honesty.
(d) Kindness and friendship.
12. What are Mrs Elvsted's plans for the future?
(a) Write and publish a book of her own.
(b) None, other than to be near Ejlert Lovborg.
(c) Stay in town as long as her husband will agree to.
(d) Start formal divorce proceedings.
13. What was the basis of the close friendship shared by Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Long walks in the country.
(b) Similar personalities.
(c) Hard times that brought them together.
(d) Working together on Lovborg's book.
14. What instrument makes its first appearance in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) A harp.
(b) A flute.
(c) A violin.
(d) A piano.
15. Why is the professorship so important to Tesman?
(a) He based his marriage and finances on the prospects of the job.
(b) He wants to make Hedda and Julle proud of him.
(c) So he will finally outshine Lovborg.
(d) He desperately wants some academic recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
2. Why are people concerned about Rina?
3. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
4. How does Hedda feel about the house she lives in?
5. What does Hedda tell Brack about her trip with Tesman?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)