|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the furnishings in the house paid for?
(a) Julle mortgaged her annuity to pay for the furnishings.
(b) Hedda's inheritance paid for everything.
(c) Berte lent Tesman the money to buy them.
(d) Tesman could afford the furnishings with his salary.
2. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
(a) She can't understand why she doesn't love him.
(b) She has never loved him.
(c) She admires him greatly and will grow to love him.
(d) She adores him.
3. Which answer best describes Tesman's perception of Hedda?
(a) Demanding and restrictive.
(b) Beautiful and adored.
(c) Flighty and vacant.
(d) Rude and ungrateful.
4. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
5. What does the letter sent in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLE propose to do?
(a) Invite Ejlert Lovborg over that evening.
(b) Warn Mrs Elvsted's husband of her whereabouts.
(c) Summon Brack to the house.
(d) Make arrangements for a celebration.
6. What are people suggesting when they note Hedda has "filled out" during her travels?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she doesn't love her husband.
(c) That she lives a life of leisure.
(d) That she is letting herself go.
7. Why is the professorship so important to Tesman?
(a) He desperately wants some academic recognition.
(b) He wants to make Hedda and Julle proud of him.
(c) So he will finally outshine Lovborg.
(d) He based his marriage and finances on the prospects of the job.
8. What does Tesman ask of Hedda in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) To try and get out in society.
(b) To be less distant with Julle.
(c) To show her affection towards him.
(d) To help him with his work.
9. What state of mind is Mrs Elvsted in when she arrives?
(a) Confident and cheery.
(b) Concerned and thoughtful.
(c) Nervous and desperate.
(d) Excited and bubbly.
10. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
(a) Brack is uncomfortable and makes awkward conversation.
(b) Brack tells Hedda a secret.
(c) Brack is pleased and says he would have come earlier.
(d) Brack apologizes for the intrusion and withdraws.
11. Who embroidered Tesman's slippers?
(c) His Aunt Rina.
12. From their conversation, what can one infer about Brack and Hedda in Act 2?
(a) They are already friends.
(b) Hedda rejected Brack as a suitor.
(c) They have been lovers.
(d) They are both uncomfortable being alone with the other.
13. What would best characterize the way Hedda greets Julle?
(a) Loving and warm.
(b) Cool and formal.
(c) Appreciative and obliging.
(d) Excited and enthusiastic.
14. What item in Hedda and Tesman's house has been moved out of view in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) The pistols.
(b) The bouquet of flowers.
(c) The picture of Rina.
(d) Hedda's piano.
15. What is the profession of Jorgen Tesman?
(a) Tesman does not work.
(c) Academic researcher and aspiring professor.
(d) Merchant and importer.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Brack invite Tesman?
2. How long has Mrs Elvsted been in town?
3. What part of Mrs Elvsted does Hedda find "irritating"?
4. What does Mrs Elvsted ask of Tesman in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
5. What does Tesman bring home with him in the second act of HEDDA GABLER?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)