|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tesman bring home with him in the second act of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) A letter from Mr Elvsted.
(b) A new instrument for Hedda.
(c) A pile of books for his research.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
2. What did Julle buy in honor of Hedda?
(a) A book.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A dress.
(d) A hat.
3. What does Hedda dream of convincing Tesman to do?
(a) Go into politics.
(b) Move to the country.
(c) Become more fashionable.
(d) Get his book published.
4. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
(a) Seeing the influence of small actions.
(b) Making sense of confusing information.
(c) Foreseeing the direction society will take.
(d) Collecting and arranging.
5. What part of Mrs Elvsted does Hedda find "irritating"?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Her manner of speaking.
(d) Her mannerisms.
6. What instrument makes its first appearance in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) A violin.
(b) A piano.
(c) A flute.
(d) A harp.
7. What are Mrs Elvsted's plans for the future?
(a) None, other than to be near Ejlert Lovborg.
(b) Write and publish a book of her own.
(c) Stay in town as long as her husband will agree to.
(d) Start formal divorce proceedings.
8. What does Hedda want at the end of 1Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Peace from the world to be with her family.
(b) To be reunited with old friends.
(c) A salon, a footman, and a horse.
(d) A child.
9. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
(a) Exciting and adventurous.
(b) A disappointment and boring.
(c) Unimportant and temporary.
(d) Comfortable and supportive.
10. What is the one thing that Hedda says she has an aptitude for?
(a) To dance and be merry.
(b) Light conversation.
(c) To bore herself.
(d) To be a wife.
11. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(b) She was a school teacher.
(c) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(d) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
12. What item in Hedda and Tesman's house has been moved out of view in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Hedda's piano.
(b) The pistols.
(c) The bouquet of flowers.
(d) The picture of Rina.
13. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(a) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
(b) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
(c) Cautiously agree to go.
14. Why does Hedda tell Brack is the reason she told Tesman she wanted to live in this particular house?
(a) Because it was the nicest one Tesman could afford.
(b) Because she knew he wanted it.
(c) So she could be close to people she liked.
(d) To fill an awkward silence in conversation.
15. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Respect and fear.
(b) Kindness and friendship.
(c) Concern and honesty.
(d) Jealousy and disdain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tesman invite over to their house for evening in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
2. Why might Tesman not get the professorship he was promised?
3. What would best characterize the way Hedda greets Julle?
4. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
5. Who is the bouquet of flowers from?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)