Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Mrs Elvsted's marriage?
(a) Abusive and horrible.
(b) Loveless and convenient.
(c) Passionate and unwise.
(d) Comfortable and satisfactory.
2. From their conversation, what can one infer about Brack and Hedda in Act 2?
(a) They are already friends.
(b) They are both uncomfortable being alone with the other.
(c) They have been lovers.
(d) Hedda rejected Brack as a suitor.
3. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(a) Cautiously agree to go.
(c) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
(d) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
4. What is the only thing that Mrs Elvsted knows about the woman whose shadow stands between her and Lovborg?
(a) She was a remarkable beauty, with red hair.
(b) She tried to shoot him with a pistol.
(c) Lovborg had asked her to marry him.
(d) She had rejected Lovborg for another man.
5. What does Julle give to Tesman before she leaves?
(a) An unexplained package.
(b) A hat.
(c) A suitcase of documents.
(d) His favorite slippers.
6. What is the relationship between Tesman and Julle in the play, HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Close friends.
(c) Nephew and aunt.
7. What was the basis of the close friendship shared by Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Similar personalities.
(b) Hard times that brought them together.
(c) Long walks in the country.
(d) Working together on Lovborg's book.
8. What part of Mrs Elvsted does Hedda find "irritating"?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her clothes.
(c) Her manner of speaking.
(d) Her mannerisms.
9. How does Hedda feel about the possibility of motherhood?
(a) She has no leaning toward such responsibilities.
(b) She can't wait to hear children's voices in the house.
(c) She doesn't think she is capable of bearing children.
(d) She looks forward to it to keep her occupied.
10. How long has Mrs Elvsted been in town?
(a) She moved to town some years ago.
(b) She has always lived here.
(c) She is very recently arrived.
(d) Her whole family recently moved into town from the country.
11. In Act 1, what is the role of Berte in the household?
(b) Visiting relative.
12. What does Tesman bring home with him in the second act of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) A letter from Mr Elvsted.
(b) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) A pile of books for his research.
(d) A new instrument for Hedda.
13. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
(a) Rina owes Berte money.
(c) Berte nursed Rina for several years.
(d) Berte is Rina's poor relative from the country.
14. What does Lovborg want Tesman to see?
(a) That he is a potential candidate for the professorship.
(b) That he is a better writer than Tesman.
(c) Evidence of his reformed ways.
(d) The manuscript to his next book.
15. Why does Hedda tell Brack is the reason she told Tesman she wanted to live in this particular house?
(a) Because it was the nicest one Tesman could afford.
(b) Because she knew he wanted it.
(c) To fill an awkward silence in conversation.
(d) So she could be close to people she liked.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, who are the two people expected to be visiting the Tesman home in the evening?
2. Which of the following best compares the nature of Tesman's book to the nature of Lovborg's book?
3. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
4. Which of the following best characterizes Mrs Elvsted's feelings regarding Lovborg?
5. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)