|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are people concerned about Rina?
(a) She is missing.
(b) She recently offended an important man.
(c) She is elderly and bedridden.
(d) She is about to have a child.
2. What does Tesman thank Brack for when Brack arrives at the house for the first time in Act 1?
(a) Looking after Julle while they were away.
(b) Always being a good friend to Hedda.
(c) Coming so promptly after receiving his letter.
(d) Making the financial arrangements for the house.
3. Who is the bouquet of flowers from?
(a) Mrs Elvsted.
(b) The sender remains anonymous.
(c) Ejlert Lovborg.
4. From where are Tesman and Hedda returning?
(a) Spending the summer in the country.
(b) The funeral of Hedda's father.
(c) Their honeymoon.
(d) Visiting a relative that is unwell.
5. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
(a) Exciting and adventurous.
(b) Comfortable and supportive.
(c) A disappointment and boring.
(d) Unimportant and temporary.
6. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
(a) Intimidated and reverent.
(b) Tolerant and accepting.
(c) Afectionate and doting.
(d) Bossy and callous.
7. Who does Tesman invite over to their house for evening in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(b) Ejlert Lovborg.
(d) Mrs Elvsted.
8. What is the only thing that Mrs Elvsted knows about the woman whose shadow stands between her and Lovborg?
(a) She had rejected Lovborg for another man.
(b) She was a remarkable beauty, with red hair.
(c) Lovborg had asked her to marry him.
(d) She tried to shoot him with a pistol.
9. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
(a) He was a distant relation.
(b) He was the protege of Mr Elvsted.
(c) He was a close friend of Mr Elvsted.
(d) He tutored the children.
10. How long has Mrs Elvsted been in town?
(a) She has always lived here.
(b) She is very recently arrived.
(c) Her whole family recently moved into town from the country.
(d) She moved to town some years ago.
11. Which of the following best describes Mrs Elvsted's marriage?
(a) Passionate and unwise.
(b) Comfortable and satisfactory.
(c) Loveless and convenient.
(d) Abusive and horrible.
12. What does Hedda tell Brack about her trip with Tesman?
(a) She missed her wonderful home.
(b) She liked the people she met abroad.
(c) She wishes she never had to return home.
(d) She was very bored with only Tesman for company.
13. What is the one thing that Hedda says she has an aptitude for?
(a) Light conversation.
(b) To be a wife.
(c) To bore herself.
(d) To dance and be merry.
14. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
15. What does Tesman focus on when he talks about the future?
(a) Spending time with his wife.
(b) Making a fortune.
(c) His career.
(d) Raising a family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why might Tesman not get the professorship he was promised?
2. In Act 2, why does Julle send word she will not be visiting Hedda and Tesman that evening?
3. What does Hedda threaten to do to Berte in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
4. What part of Mrs Elvsted does Hedda find "irritating"?
5. When did Lovborg write his book?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)