|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the book Tesman is working on about?
(a) The importance of family in society.
(b) Cultural norms of the modern age.
(c) Domestic crafts of Brabant in the Middle Ages.
(d) The role of religion in shaping the future.
2. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was a school teacher.
(b) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(c) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(d) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
3. How does Hedda feel about the house she lives in?
(a) She thinks the house is plain and depressing.
(b) She loves the way the house has been furnished.
(c) She thinks the house will be good for raising a family.
(d) She thinks it smells of old ladies and death.
4. What does Hedda tell Brack about her trip with Tesman?
(a) She liked the people she met abroad.
(b) She wishes she never had to return home.
(c) She was very bored with only Tesman for company.
(d) She missed her wonderful home.
5. What is the one thing that Hedda says she has an aptitude for?
(a) To dance and be merry.
(b) Light conversation.
(c) To bore herself.
(d) To be a wife.
6. Does Berte leave her belongings lying around?
(a) No, the item belonged to Julle.
(b) No, Hedda had left it and forgotten about it.
(c) Yes, they were always returning things to her.
(d) Yes, and they dismissed her for it.
7. What does the letter sent in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLE propose to do?
(a) Make arrangements for a celebration.
(b) Warn Mrs Elvsted's husband of her whereabouts.
(c) Summon Brack to the house.
(d) Invite Ejlert Lovborg over that evening.
8. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
(a) Brack is uncomfortable and makes awkward conversation.
(b) Brack tells Hedda a secret.
(c) Brack is pleased and says he would have come earlier.
(d) Brack apologizes for the intrusion and withdraws.
9. How is Lovborg's book received by the public?
(a) It is very well received and called 'a sensation'.
(b) It is disputed by the academic community.
(c) It is ridiculed.
(d) It becomes the most popular novel of the time.
10. Why did Tesman buy the house he did?
(a) He believed Hedda wanted it more than any other.
(b) It was the only one he could afford.
(c) It was close to his work.
(d) It had many rooms for raising a family.
11. How long has Mrs Elvsted been in town?
(a) She moved to town some years ago.
(b) She is very recently arrived.
(c) She has always lived here.
(d) Her whole family recently moved into town from the country.
12. What does Julle give to Tesman before she leaves?
(a) His favorite slippers.
(b) A suitcase of documents.
(c) A hat.
(d) An unexplained package.
13. What does Lovborg want Tesman to see?
(a) That he is a potential candidate for the professorship.
(b) The manuscript to his next book.
(c) Evidence of his reformed ways.
(d) That he is a better writer than Tesman.
14. Why are people concerned about Rina?
(a) She is missing.
(b) She recently offended an important man.
(c) She is about to have a child.
(d) She is elderly and bedridden.
15. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
Short Answer Questions
1. What state of mind is Mrs Elvsted in when she arrives?
2. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
3. What does Hedda do when Brack arrives in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
4. When Hedda and Brack are discussing a trip in a compartment on a train, what are they really discussing?
5. What does Tesman thank Brack for when Brack arrives at the house for the first time in Act 1?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)