|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda tell Brack about her trip with Tesman?
(a) She was very bored with only Tesman for company.
(b) She missed her wonderful home.
(c) She liked the people she met abroad.
(d) She wishes she never had to return home.
2. Who are the first two characters to appear in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Julle and Tesman.
(b) Julle and Berte.
(c) Jorgen and Hedda.
(d) Tesman and Berte.
3. What are people suggesting when they note Hedda has "filled out" during her travels?
(a) That she is letting herself go.
(b) That she doesn't love her husband.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she lives a life of leisure.
4. Does Berte leave her belongings lying around?
(a) Yes, and they dismissed her for it.
(b) No, the item belonged to Julle.
(c) No, Hedda had left it and forgotten about it.
(d) Yes, they were always returning things to her.
5. What does Hedda complain about just after greeting Julle?
(a) The difficulty with servants.
(b) Having nothing to do.
(c) An open window.
(d) How long it has been since they've met.
6. What does Tesman thank Brack for when Brack arrives at the house for the first time in Act 1?
(a) Making the financial arrangements for the house.
(b) Always being a good friend to Hedda.
(c) Coming so promptly after receiving his letter.
(d) Looking after Julle while they were away.
7. How long has Mrs Elvsted been in town?
(a) She moved to town some years ago.
(b) Her whole family recently moved into town from the country.
(c) She is very recently arrived.
(d) She has always lived here.
8. What does Hedda threaten to do to Berte in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Dismiss her.
(b) Cut her hair off.
(c) Visit her every day.
(d) Send her to care for Rina.
9. What is the relationship between Tesman and Julle in the play, HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Close friends.
(c) Nephew and aunt.
(d) Brother and sister.
10. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Kindness and friendship.
(b) Respect and fear.
(c) Concern and honesty.
(d) Jealousy and disdain.
11. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
(a) He was a distant relation.
(b) He was a close friend of Mr Elvsted.
(c) He was the protege of Mr Elvsted.
(d) He tutored the children.
12. From their conversation, what can one infer about Brack and Hedda in Act 2?
(a) They are already friends.
(b) They are both uncomfortable being alone with the other.
(c) They have been lovers.
(d) Hedda rejected Brack as a suitor.
13. Why is Mrs Elvsted uneasy talking about her home life?
(a) Because her husband is unfaithful.
(b) Because her husband is an old flame of Hedda's.
(c) Because she knows Hedda is unhappy.
(d) Because she has just left her husband.
14. Why did Tesman buy the house he did?
(a) He believed Hedda wanted it more than any other.
(b) It was close to his work.
(c) It had many rooms for raising a family.
(d) It was the only one he could afford.
15. What is the one thing that Hedda says she has an aptitude for?
(a) Light conversation.
(b) To dance and be merry.
(c) To be a wife.
(d) To bore herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Julle leaves at the end of Act 1, what are her plans for returning?
2. What does Hedda tell Brack her reason's were for marrying Tesman?
3. Which are the most appropriate words to describe Hedda in the first act?
4. To what does Brack invite Tesman?
5. How is Lovborg's book received by the public?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)