|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Julle give to Tesman before she leaves?
(a) His favorite slippers.
(b) An unexplained package.
(c) A suitcase of documents.
(d) A hat.
2. Which of the following best describes Mrs Elvsted's marriage?
(a) Passionate and unwise.
(b) Loveless and convenient.
(c) Comfortable and satisfactory.
(d) Abusive and horrible.
3. What are Mrs Elvsted's plans for the future?
(a) Write and publish a book of her own.
(b) Stay in town as long as her husband will agree to.
(c) Start formal divorce proceedings.
(d) None, other than to be near Ejlert Lovborg.
4. What does the letter sent in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLE propose to do?
(a) Summon Brack to the house.
(b) Warn Mrs Elvsted's husband of her whereabouts.
(c) Invite Ejlert Lovborg over that evening.
(d) Make arrangements for a celebration.
5. What is the book Tesman is working on about?
(a) The importance of family in society.
(b) Domestic crafts of Brabant in the Middle Ages.
(c) Cultural norms of the modern age.
(d) The role of religion in shaping the future.
6. Why did Tesman buy the house he did?
(a) It was the only one he could afford.
(b) He believed Hedda wanted it more than any other.
(c) It had many rooms for raising a family.
(d) It was close to his work.
7. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(a) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
(b) Cautiously agree to go.
(c) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
8. What would best characterize the way Hedda greets Julle?
(a) Loving and warm.
(b) Appreciative and obliging.
(c) Excited and enthusiastic.
(d) Cool and formal.
9. What does Tesman thank Brack for when Brack arrives at the house for the first time in Act 1?
(a) Always being a good friend to Hedda.
(b) Looking after Julle while they were away.
(c) Making the financial arrangements for the house.
(d) Coming so promptly after receiving his letter.
10. What does Ejlert Lovborg do shortly after publishing his book?
(a) Applies for a professorship.
(b) Inherits a fortune.
(c) Leaves the Elvsted household to return to town.
(d) Falls in love with Diana, a red headed singer.
11. What does Hedda claim she has to keep her entertained at the end of Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) A charming home.
(b) Her father's pistols.
(c) A growing family.
(d) A busy social life.
12. What is Lovborg going to do for Tesman?
(a) Stay with Hedda so Tesman can leave for Brack's party.
(b) Wait until Tesman has the professorship before publishing his book.
(c) Help him with his book.
(d) Recommend Tesman for another post if Lovborg is rewarded the professorship.
13. What does Tesman ask Berte to put away for him?
(a) A suitcase full of notes and research.
(b) His pistols.
(c) Some personal letters he doesn't want Hedda to see.
(d) Some money he's saved.
14. To what does Brack invite Tesman?
(a) A discussion of the professorship.
(b) A stag dinner.
(c) A party at the home of a wealthy relative.
(d) A literary gathering.
15. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
(a) Afectionate and doting.
(b) Intimidated and reverent.
(c) Bossy and callous.
(d) Tolerant and accepting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
2. How is Lovborg's book received by the public?
3. Why might Tesman not get the professorship he was promised?
4. What did Julle buy in honor of Hedda?
5. Which are the most appropriate words to describe Hedda in the first act?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)