|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes Mrs Elvsted's feelings regarding Lovborg?
(a) Fearful, thwarted, and rancorous.
(b) Proud, sure, and boastful.
(c) Protective, worried, and adoring.
(d) Skeptical and cautious.
2. What does Mrs Elvsted ask of Tesman in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) To let her know what he thinks of Lovborg's book.
(b) To let Lovborg have the professorship.
(c) To continue Lovborg's work.
(d) To be kind to Lovborg and keep a watchful eye on him.
3. What is the only thing that Mrs Elvsted knows about the woman whose shadow stands between her and Lovborg?
(a) She had rejected Lovborg for another man.
(b) She was a remarkable beauty, with red hair.
(c) Lovborg had asked her to marry him.
(d) She tried to shoot him with a pistol.
4. When Julle leaves at the end of Act 1, what are her plans for returning?
(a) She plans never to return.
(b) She will return to spend the winter.
(c) She plans on returning every day to visit.
(d) She is afraid she'll be too busy to come often.
5. What does Hedda tell Brack her reason's were for marrying Tesman?
(a) His was her only marriage proposal.
(b) He was determined to support her and he was not ridiculous.
(c) She sees him as a great man that will go far.
(d) She loves him despite his prospects.
6. Which of the following best describes Mrs Elvsted's marriage?
(a) Abusive and horrible.
(b) Passionate and unwise.
(c) Loveless and convenient.
(d) Comfortable and satisfactory.
7. From where are Tesman and Hedda returning?
(a) Visiting a relative that is unwell.
(b) Their honeymoon.
(c) The funeral of Hedda's father.
(d) Spending the summer in the country.
8. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
(a) Comfortable and supportive.
(b) Exciting and adventurous.
(c) Unimportant and temporary.
(d) A disappointment and boring.
9. Why does Hedda tell Brack is the reason she told Tesman she wanted to live in this particular house?
(a) So she could be close to people she liked.
(b) To fill an awkward silence in conversation.
(c) Because it was the nicest one Tesman could afford.
(d) Because she knew he wanted it.
10. What is the book Tesman is working on about?
(a) Cultural norms of the modern age.
(b) The importance of family in society.
(c) Domestic crafts of Brabant in the Middle Ages.
(d) The role of religion in shaping the future.
11. Who are the first two characters to appear in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Julle and Tesman.
(b) Julle and Berte.
(c) Tesman and Berte.
(d) Jorgen and Hedda.
12. What would best characterize the way Hedda greets Julle?
(a) Appreciative and obliging.
(b) Loving and warm.
(c) Excited and enthusiastic.
(d) Cool and formal.
13. What two events does Tesman accidentally schedule for the same time?
(a) Lovborg's visit and Brack's dinner.
(b) Lovborg's visit and a visit from his aunt.
(c) Mrs Elvsted's visit and work for his next book.
(d) Brack's party and his wife's birthday.
14. What does Hedda dream of convincing Tesman to do?
(a) Become more fashionable.
(b) Go into politics.
(c) Move to the country.
(d) Get his book published.
15. What does Tesman bring home with him in the second act of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) A letter from Mr Elvsted.
(b) A new instrument for Hedda.
(c) A pile of books for his research.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hedda want at the end of 1Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
2. From their conversation, what can one infer about Brack and Hedda in Act 2?
3. Why might Tesman not get the professorship he was promised?
4. What item in Hedda and Tesman's house has been moved out of view in the beginning of Act 2 of HEDDA GABLER?
5. Which are the most appropriate words to describe Hedda in the first act?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)