|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might Tesman not get the professorship he was promised?
(a) There are doubts about Tesman's character.
(b) The subject of Tesman's book is irrevelant to the post.
(c) Lovborg is also being considered for the post.
(d) Tesman was gone too long on his travels.
2. What would best characterize the way Hedda greets Julle?
(a) Excited and enthusiastic.
(b) Cool and formal.
(c) Appreciative and obliging.
(d) Loving and warm.
3. How does Hedda feel about the house she lives in?
(a) She loves the way the house has been furnished.
(b) She thinks it smells of old ladies and death.
(c) She thinks the house is plain and depressing.
(d) She thinks the house will be good for raising a family.
4. Which of the following best characterizes Mrs Elvsted's feelings regarding Lovborg?
(a) Protective, worried, and adoring.
(b) Proud, sure, and boastful.
(c) Fearful, thwarted, and rancorous.
(d) Skeptical and cautious.
5. What two events does Tesman accidentally schedule for the same time?
(a) Brack's party and his wife's birthday.
(b) Lovborg's visit and a visit from his aunt.
(c) Lovborg's visit and Brack's dinner.
(d) Mrs Elvsted's visit and work for his next book.
6. What does Tesman focus on when he talks about the future?
(a) Spending time with his wife.
(b) Making a fortune.
(c) His career.
(d) Raising a family.
7. What does Tesman ask Berte to put away for him?
(a) A suitcase full of notes and research.
(b) Some money he's saved.
(c) His pistols.
(d) Some personal letters he doesn't want Hedda to see.
8. How does Hedda feel about the possibility of motherhood?
(a) She has no leaning toward such responsibilities.
(b) She can't wait to hear children's voices in the house.
(c) She looks forward to it to keep her occupied.
(d) She doesn't think she is capable of bearing children.
9. Who does Tesman invite over to their house for evening in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(b) Ejlert Lovborg.
(d) Mrs Elvsted.
10. Why are people concerned about Rina?
(a) She is about to have a child.
(b) She is elderly and bedridden.
(c) She recently offended an important man.
(d) She is missing.
11. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
(a) Foreseeing the direction society will take.
(b) Collecting and arranging.
(c) Seeing the influence of small actions.
(d) Making sense of confusing information.
12. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
(a) She can't understand why she doesn't love him.
(b) She admires him greatly and will grow to love him.
(c) She has never loved him.
(d) She adores him.
13. Does Berte leave her belongings lying around?
(a) Yes, they were always returning things to her.
(b) No, Hedda had left it and forgotten about it.
(c) Yes, and they dismissed her for it.
(d) No, the item belonged to Julle.
14. What are Mrs Elvsted's plans for the future?
(a) Stay in town as long as her husband will agree to.
(b) None, other than to be near Ejlert Lovborg.
(c) Write and publish a book of her own.
(d) Start formal divorce proceedings.
15. To what does Brack invite Tesman?
(a) A literary gathering.
(b) A party at the home of a wealthy relative.
(c) A discussion of the professorship.
(d) A stag dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which answer best describes Tesman's perception of Hedda?
2. What is the one thing that Hedda says she has an aptitude for?
3. What are Brack's views on his own marriage prospects?
4. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
5. Why does Hedda tell Brack is the reason she told Tesman she wanted to live in this particular house?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)