|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
(a) She admires him greatly and will grow to love him.
(b) She can't understand why she doesn't love him.
(c) She adores him.
(d) She has never loved him.
2. To whom does Hedda not speak in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
3. Who does Tesman invite over to their house for evening in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Mrs Elvsted.
(c) Ejlert Lovborg.
4. What does Hedda threaten to do to Berte in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Visit her every day.
(b) Dismiss her.
(c) Cut her hair off.
(d) Send her to care for Rina.
5. What role did Ejlert Lovborg play in the Elvsted household prior to the happenings in the play Hedda Gabler?
(a) He was the protege of Mr Elvsted.
(b) He was a close friend of Mr Elvsted.
(c) He was a distant relation.
(d) He tutored the children.
6. What does Hedda tell Brack about her trip with Tesman?
(a) She was very bored with only Tesman for company.
(b) She liked the people she met abroad.
(c) She missed her wonderful home.
(d) She wishes she never had to return home.
7. How long has Mrs Elvsted been in town?
(a) Her whole family recently moved into town from the country.
(b) She has always lived here.
(c) She moved to town some years ago.
(d) She is very recently arrived.
8. What does Hedda dream of convincing Tesman to do?
(a) Become more fashionable.
(b) Go into politics.
(c) Move to the country.
(d) Get his book published.
9. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(b) She was a school teacher.
(c) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(d) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
10. What does Lovborg want Tesman to see?
(a) Evidence of his reformed ways.
(b) The manuscript to his next book.
(c) That he is a better writer than Tesman.
(d) That he is a potential candidate for the professorship.
11. What are people suggesting when they note Hedda has "filled out" during her travels?
(a) That she is letting herself go.
(b) That she lives a life of leisure.
(c) That she doesn't love her husband.
(d) That she is pregnant.
12. What do Julle and Tesman discuss as a strong ability of Tesman's?
(a) Collecting and arranging.
(b) Making sense of confusing information.
(c) Seeing the influence of small actions.
(d) Foreseeing the direction society will take.
13. What are Brack's views on his own marriage prospects?
(a) He prefers to maintain 'friendships' with married ladies.
(b) He is still waiting for the right woman to come into his life.
(c) He does not care for the company of women.
(d) He wishes he had proposed to Hedda while she was available.
14. How does Hedda feel about the possibility of motherhood?
(a) She looks forward to it to keep her occupied.
(b) She doesn't think she is capable of bearing children.
(c) She has no leaning toward such responsibilities.
(d) She can't wait to hear children's voices in the house.
15. Which answer best describes Tesman's perception of Hedda?
(a) Flighty and vacant.
(b) Rude and ungrateful.
(c) Demanding and restrictive.
(d) Beautiful and adored.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Jorgen Tesman?
2. What does Tesman ask Berte to put away for him?
3. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's view of her marriage at the end of Act 1?
4. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
5. What is Lovborg going to do for Tesman?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)