|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes Mrs Elvsted's feelings regarding Lovborg?
(a) Protective, worried, and adoring.
(b) Proud, sure, and boastful.
(c) Skeptical and cautious.
(d) Fearful, thwarted, and rancorous.
2. What did Tesman tell Brack about Tesman and Hedda's trip?
(a) They spent every moment together.
(b) Hedda had a very good time.
(c) It was long and difficult.
(d) They missed their home terribly.
3. Who does Tesman invite over to their house for evening in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLER?
(a) Ejlert Lovborg.
(b) Mrs Elvsted.
4. What did Julle buy in honor of Hedda?
(a) A dress.
(b) A book.
(c) A hat.
(d) A necklace.
5. What instrument makes its first appearance in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) A harp.
(b) A flute.
(c) A violin.
(d) A piano.
6. What does Hedda tell Brack her reason's were for marrying Tesman?
(a) His was her only marriage proposal.
(b) She loves him despite his prospects.
(c) He was determined to support her and he was not ridiculous.
(d) She sees him as a great man that will go far.
7. What does Tesman ask Berte to put away for him?
(a) Some money he's saved.
(b) A suitcase full of notes and research.
(c) Some personal letters he doesn't want Hedda to see.
(d) His pistols.
8. What are Brack's views on his own marriage prospects?
(a) He prefers to maintain 'friendships' with married ladies.
(b) He does not care for the company of women.
(c) He is still waiting for the right woman to come into his life.
(d) He wishes he had proposed to Hedda while she was available.
9. What is the relationship between Tesman and Julle in the play, HEDDA GABLER?
(b) Close friends.
(c) Nephew and aunt.
(d) Brother and sister.
10. Why are people concerned about Rina?
(a) She recently offended an important man.
(b) She is elderly and bedridden.
(c) She is about to have a child.
(d) She is missing.
11. In Act 1, what is the role of Berte in the household?
(a) Visiting relative.
12. What is the only thing that Mrs Elvsted knows about the woman whose shadow stands between her and Lovborg?
(a) She had rejected Lovborg for another man.
(b) She tried to shoot him with a pistol.
(c) Lovborg had asked her to marry him.
(d) She was a remarkable beauty, with red hair.
13. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Kindness and friendship.
(b) Respect and fear.
(c) Jealousy and disdain.
(d) Concern and honesty.
14. Why might Tesman not get the professorship he was promised?
(a) There are doubts about Tesman's character.
(b) Lovborg is also being considered for the post.
(c) Tesman was gone too long on his travels.
(d) The subject of Tesman's book is irrevelant to the post.
15. What state of mind is Mrs Elvsted in when she arrives?
(a) Excited and bubbly.
(b) Concerned and thoughtful.
(c) Confident and cheery.
(d) Nervous and desperate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hedda feel about the house she lives in?
2. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
3. What kept Hedda and Tesman up late the night of their return?
4. Why is the professorship so important to Tesman?
5. From their conversation, what can one infer about Brack and Hedda in Act 2?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)