|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the second act, what do we learn about the hat incident?
(a) That Julle is still offended.
(b) That Hedda was jealous of the hat.
(c) Hedda only pretended she thought the hat belonged to the maid.
(d) That Hedda is sorry she said anything.
2. In Act 2, who are the two people expected to be visiting the Tesman home in the evening?
(a) Berte and Lovborg.
(b) Mrs Elvsted and Lovborg.
(c) Julle and Mrs Elvsted.
(d) Lovborg and Brack.
3. What does the letter sent in Act 1 of HEDDA GABLE propose to do?
(a) Invite Ejlert Lovborg over that evening.
(b) Warn Mrs Elvsted's husband of her whereabouts.
(c) Summon Brack to the house.
(d) Make arrangements for a celebration.
4. Does Berte leave her belongings lying around?
(a) Yes, and they dismissed her for it.
(b) No, the item belonged to Julle.
(c) No, Hedda had left it and forgotten about it.
(d) Yes, they were always returning things to her.
5. When Hedda and Brack are discussing a trip in a compartment on a train, what are they really discussing?
(a) The unexpected in life.
(b) Getting away from society.
(c) Fidelity in marriage.
(d) The importance of having good friends close by.
6. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(b) She was the popular daughter of a general.
(c) She was a school teacher.
(d) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
7. What does Julle do as soon as she enters the room in the beginning of the first act?
(a) Hugs Hedda.
(b) Reads a manuscript.
(c) Opens a window.
(d) Writes a letter.
8. What does Hedda confess to Brack regarding her feelings toward Tesman?
(a) She admires him greatly and will grow to love him.
(b) She can't understand why she doesn't love him.
(c) She adores him.
(d) She has never loved him.
9. What is the relationship between Berte and Rina?
(a) Berte nursed Rina for several years.
(b) Rina owes Berte money.
(d) Berte is Rina's poor relative from the country.
10. What did Tesman tell Brack about Tesman and Hedda's trip?
(a) They spent every moment together.
(b) They missed their home terribly.
(c) Hedda had a very good time.
(d) It was long and difficult.
11. When Tesman and Brack first invite Lovborg to Brack's party, what does Lovborg do?
(a) Agree to stay with Hedda when she asks him to.
(b) Warmly accept as a way to regain old ties.
(c) Cautiously agree to go.
12. What is Brack's reaction when he realizes that Tesman is not at home and that he is alone with Hedda?
(a) Brack tells Hedda a secret.
(b) Brack apologizes for the intrusion and withdraws.
(c) Brack is pleased and says he would have come earlier.
(d) Brack is uncomfortable and makes awkward conversation.
13. What does Hedda threaten to do to Berte in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) Send her to care for Rina.
(b) Cut her hair off.
(c) Dismiss her.
(d) Visit her every day.
14. What was the basis of the close friendship shared by Lovborg and Mrs Elvsted?
(a) Hard times that brought them together.
(b) Similar personalities.
(c) Working together on Lovborg's book.
(d) Long walks in the country.
15. What does Tesman focus on when he talks about the future?
(a) Making a fortune.
(b) His career.
(c) Raising a family.
(d) Spending time with his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes Mrs Elvsted's feelings regarding Lovborg?
2. What is the one thing that Hedda says she has an aptitude for?
3. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
4. How does Hedda feel about the house she lives in?
5. What is the relationship between Tesman and Julle in the play, HEDDA GABLER?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)