|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hedda's life like before she married?
(a) She was the heiress to a large fortune.
(b) She was a school teacher.
(c) She was the beautiful daughter of a poor family.
(d) She was the popular daughter of a general.
2. What does Mrs Elvsted ask of Tesman in Act 1 of Hedda Gabler?
(a) To let her know what he thinks of Lovborg's book.
(b) To be kind to Lovborg and keep a watchful eye on him.
(c) To let Lovborg have the professorship.
(d) To continue Lovborg's work.
3. When Julle leaves at the end of Act 1, what are her plans for returning?
(a) She will return to spend the winter.
(b) She is afraid she'll be too busy to come often.
(c) She plans never to return.
(d) She plans on returning every day to visit.
4. Why is Mrs Elvsted uneasy talking about her home life?
(a) Because her husband is an old flame of Hedda's.
(b) Because her husband is unfaithful.
(c) Because she knows Hedda is unhappy.
(d) Because she has just left her husband.
5. Why is the professorship so important to Tesman?
(a) He desperately wants some academic recognition.
(b) He based his marriage and finances on the prospects of the job.
(c) He wants to make Hedda and Julle proud of him.
(d) So he will finally outshine Lovborg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best characterizes Tesman's feeling towards Julle?
2. What state of mind is Mrs Elvsted in when she arrives?
3. What are Mrs Elvsted's plans for the future?
4. What is the book Tesman is working on about?
5. Which of the following best characterizes Hedda's feelings towards Mrs Elvsted?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)