|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the tattoo on one man's chest?
2. What does Annie tell Dave to do?
3. What does Dave don?
4. What does Dave spy in the plane?
5. What do Dave and Annie claim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dave visit Robin?
2. What do Dave and Annie do with the young girl they name Alafair?
3. What police department did Dave work for and why is he no longer employed there?
4. What does Annie see down the street and what does Dave do about it?
5. Describe Dave's visit to Bubba.
6. What happens to Dave in the bayou?
7. Describe Annie Robicheaux.
8. What does Dave find out from Robin?
9. What does Dave learn from Robin before she leaves town?
10. What do Dave and Annie do in response to the event they witness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think HEAVEN'S PRISONERS is successful as a detective novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Dave begins working as a deputy for the Layfayette Parish Sheriff's Department. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave goes back to police work? Are we told why Dave quit police work with the New Orleans police department? Why?
2. What personality traits of Dave's might make him a good police officer? What would make him a ineffective or less-than-desirable police officer? Which in balancing the two seems to be stronger--his ability to be a good or not-so-great cop? Explain your rationale.
3. Why do you think the Sheriff of Layfaette Parish hires Dave when Dave is obviously drunk when he applies for the position? Is this a responsible thing to do on the Sheriff's part? Do you think the sheriff understands why Dave wants the position?
4. What motivates Dave to quit his job as a police officer at the end of the story? Is this a good decision on his part? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss James Lee Burke's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Burke use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)