|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could Dave and Annie's relationship be characterized?
2. For whom does Keats occasionally work?
3. Of what heritage is Dave's father?
4. Who is Minos Dautrieve?
5. What does Dautrieve think Dave's best course of action is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Dave think about as he is sitting in church and what are his thoughts on the subject?
2. What is an indication of Robin's possibly over drinking?
3. How do Dave and Annie learn more about Alafair?
4. What does Dave conclude about the incident in the bayou?
5. What does Dave find when he dives down?
6. What do Dave and Annie do with the young girl they name Alafair?
7. Where does Dave go after a phone call from Batist?
8. What does Annie see down the street and what does Dave do about it?
9. Who does Dave ask to watch Annie and the house and give a brief description of the person.
10. Describe Minos P. Dautrieve.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave begins working as a deputy for the Layfayette Parish Sheriff's Department. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave goes back to police work? Are we told why Dave quit police work with the New Orleans police department? Why?
2. What personality traits of Dave's might make him a good police officer? What would make him a ineffective or less-than-desirable police officer? Which in balancing the two seems to be stronger--his ability to be a good or not-so-great cop? Explain your rationale.
3. Why do you think the Sheriff of Layfaette Parish hires Dave when Dave is obviously drunk when he applies for the position? Is this a responsible thing to do on the Sheriff's part? Do you think the sheriff understands why Dave wants the position?
4. What motivates Dave to quit his job as a police officer at the end of the story? Is this a good decision on his part? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It becomes increasingly obvious that Dave is willing to sacrifice his simple and enjoyable life in order to become involved with the ugly side of life in Louisiana and to set things aright, as he sees it. Discuss the following:
1. Analyze the process of Dave becoming involved, then retreating, then becoming involved, then retreating, etc., and why you think he vacillates so much.
2. Discuss the aspects of Dave's personality that makes it very difficult for him to forget the plane crash.
3. If Dave had stayed away from the plane crash investigation, it is likely Annie would still be alive. How do you think this knowledge impacts Dave? Use specific examples from the story to illustrate your point.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal.
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)