|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dautrieve suggest to Dave?
2. How many men are in the car?
3. Who is Eddie Keats?
4. Why does Jerry rat on Robin?
5. From where is Annie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Dave ask to watch Annie and the house and give a brief description of the person.
2. What do Dave and Annie witness as they are about to have lunch?
3. Describe Minos P. Dautrieve.
4. What does Dave learn from Robin before she leaves town?
5. Who visits Dave at his home and what does Dave learn and why does he make another dive?
6. How does Dave begin his investigation?
7. Describe Dave Robicheaux.
8. What does Annie see down the street and what does Dave do about it?
9. Why does Dave visit Robin?
10. Describe Annie Robicheaux.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It becomes increasingly obvious that Dave is willing to sacrifice his simple and enjoyable life in order to become involved with the ugly side of life in Louisiana and to set things aright, as he sees it. Discuss the following:
1. Analyze the process of Dave becoming involved, then retreating, then becoming involved, then retreating, etc., and why you think he vacillates so much.
2. Discuss the aspects of Dave's personality that makes it very difficult for him to forget the plane crash.
3. If Dave had stayed away from the plane crash investigation, it is likely Annie would still be alive. How do you think this knowledge impacts Dave? Use specific examples from the story to illustrate your point.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal.
Essay Topic 3
Dave rescues a little girl from the submerged plane and after taking her to a hospital for a checkup where they say she is their daughter they take her home and decide to keep her. Discuss the following:
1. How likely is it that in the "real" world a couple could get away with taking home a "stray" child and just deciding to keep her?
2. Do you think Dave and Annie are doing the right thing in keeping the girl (who they name Alafair)? Why or why not?
3. Is it ethical to keep a child when she could have blood relatives who might be concerned about her and would want to keep her as part of the family?
4. How will Dave and Annie produce the necessary documentation for school attendance and other legalities? Do you think Dave will forge the necessary documents and how could Dave justify breaking the law given that he was a police officer and returns to police work during the course of the story?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)