|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Robin Gaddis?
2. Who does Dave suspect his assailant is?
3. What is parked down the street from Dave and Annie's house?
4. Who is Eddie Keats?
5. How many passengers are in the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Romero tell Dave when he calls Dave and what is Dave's reaction?
2. What happens in the encounter between Bubba and Dave?
3. What do Dave and Batist do at the very end of the book?
4. What does Annie see down the street and what does Dave do about it?
5. What do Dave and Annie do with the young girl they name Alafair?
6. Who does Dave go to see after Annie is buried and what happens?
7. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
8. What police department did Dave work for and why is he no longer employed there?
9. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
10. Describe the confrontation between Dave and Romero.
Essay Topic 1
Dave rescues a little girl from the submerged plane and after taking her to a hospital for a checkup where they say she is their daughter they take her home and decide to keep her. Discuss the following:
1. How likely is it that in the "real" world a couple could get away with taking home a "stray" child and just deciding to keep her?
2. Do you think Dave and Annie are doing the right thing in keeping the girl (who they name Alafair)? Why or why not?
3. Is it ethical to keep a child when she could have blood relatives who might be concerned about her and would want to keep her as part of the family?
4. How will Dave and Annie produce the necessary documentation for school attendance and other legalities? Do you think Dave will forge the necessary documents and how could Dave justify breaking the law given that he was a police officer and returns to police work during the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
The plot of a mystery/detective novel is part of what makes the book successful or not. Discuss the following:
1. What is the basic plot of HEAVEN'S PRISONERS?
2. How successful is the author at making the plot believable?
3. How successful is the author at expressing the plot with believable characters and action?
4. Discuss where the various elements of plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, denouement) with specific details.
5. Do you think most mystery/detective novels have the same basic plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Dave Robicheaux is the main character in a number of mystery novels by James Lee Burke. One of the most interesting things about Robicheaux is his Cajun background. It is therefore, useful to understand a little of Cajun culture. Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Cajuns? In what area of the United States do they reside? Who are several famous "real-life" Cajuns?
2. Describe some of the major aspects of the Cajun culture.
3. What about Dave Robicheaux reveals his Cajun heritage?
4. Why do you think James Lee Burke chooses to make his primary protagonist Cajun?
This section contains 3,570 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)