Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does Dautrieve play in college?
2. What does Batist want when he calls Dave?
3. What does Dave do when he returns home?
4. For what does Dave rail against law enforcement?
5. What does Dave think causes the plane to crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dave and Annie tell Alafair about her mother and what do they do to help Alafair start healing emotionally?
2. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
3. Where does Dave go from Bubba's house and what does he do?
4. What do Dave and Annie do in response to the event they witness?
5. Describe Minos P. Dautrieve.
6. What does Dave find out from Robin?
7. Describe Dave Robicheaux.
8. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
9. Describe Victor Romero.
10. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
Essay Topic 1
Dave's various flashbacks to Vietnam and life as a young man with his father provide interesting parallels to his current situation. He recalls events because they were morally equivalent to his current situation. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Dave's life as a young man with his father and how those memories are related to the plot of this story. What symbols/metaphors are common to both? What of Dave's feelings are common to both? Does Dave react differently as a grown man than when he was young? How? If not, would you say he has not learned from his life experiences?
2. Trace and analyze Dave's various flashbacks to Vietnam and how those memories are related to the plot of this story. Why symbols/metaphors are common to both? What of Dave's feelings are common to both? Does Dave react differently as an older man than when he was a young man? How? If not, would you say he has not learned from his life experiences?
3. Do you think Burke would have used as many flashbacks in this book had this book not been part of a series? How much do the flashbacks shown in this book affect the current storyline? Do readers need the information presented in the flashbacks to understand the storyline ongoing in the present? Would there be any other way to understand Dave's complex personality without flashbacks? Justify your answers with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, Dave continues his job but begins to drown in unwanted paperwork. He is good street cop but the administrative side of the job is definitely not his strong point. Discuss the following:
1. What does Dave have to do administratively that is so consuming and onerous for him? What aspects of his personality make this paperwork so difficult for him to deal with?
2. Do you think there should be some way for men and women who are really good beat cops but lousy on paperwork to have assistance with the paperwork aspect of the job? Why or why not?
3. What could be some advantages in filling out paperwork? Disadvantages?
4. Is there too much paperwork in general in the American culture? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,526 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)