|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Monroe?
2. What does Dautrieve ask of David?
3. What is Annie doing on the boat when Dave spots a plane?
4. How many men are in the car?
5. What does Dave do when he returns home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Dave at his home and what does Dave learn and why does he make another dive?
2. Describe Dave Robicheaux.
3. Why does Dave visit Robin?
4. Describe Dave's visit to Bubba.
5. What does Dave find out from Robin?
6. What do Dave and Annie witness as they are about to have lunch?
7. What is an indication of Robin's possibly over drinking?
8. What do Dave and Annie do with the young girl they name Alafair?
9. Who calls Dave and what does he want?
10. What do Dave and Annie do in response to the event they witness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
Essay Topic 2
The plot of a mystery/detective novel is part of what makes the book successful or not. Discuss the following:
1. What is the basic plot of HEAVEN'S PRISONERS?
2. How successful is the author at making the plot believable?
3. How successful is the author at expressing the plot with believable characters and action?
4. Discuss where the various elements of plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, denouement) with specific details.
5. Do you think most mystery/detective novels have the same basic plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Dave rescues a little girl from the submerged plane and after taking her to a hospital for a checkup where they say she is their daughter they take her home and decide to keep her. Discuss the following:
1. How likely is it that in the "real" world a couple could get away with taking home a "stray" child and just deciding to keep her?
2. Do you think Dave and Annie are doing the right thing in keeping the girl (who they name Alafair)? Why or why not?
3. Is it ethical to keep a child when she could have blood relatives who might be concerned about her and would want to keep her as part of the family?
4. How will Dave and Annie produce the necessary documentation for school attendance and other legalities? Do you think Dave will forge the necessary documents and how could Dave justify breaking the law given that he was a police officer and returns to police work during the course of the story?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)