|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave worry about for Robin?
2. Why does Jerry rat on Robin?
3. What does Annie tell Dave to do?
4. In what war did Dave serve?
5. How does Dave seem to feel among the underworld elements of his city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Dave ask to watch Annie and the house and give a brief description of the person.
2. What does Dave find out from Robin?
3. Who calls Dave and what does he want?
4. What do Dave and Annie tell Alafair about her mother and what do they do to help Alafair start healing emotionally?
5. What police department did Dave work for and why is he no longer employed there?
6. Describe Dave Robicheaux.
7. What does Dave find when he dives down?
8. What are Dave and Annie doing when the novel opens?
9. Describe Dave's visit to Bubba.
10. Where does Dave go after a phone call from Batist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think HEAVEN'S PRISONERS is successful as a detective novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Dave begins working as a deputy for the Layfayette Parish Sheriff's Department. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave goes back to police work? Are we told why Dave quit police work with the New Orleans police department? Why?
2. What personality traits of Dave's might make him a good police officer? What would make him a ineffective or less-than-desirable police officer? Which in balancing the two seems to be stronger--his ability to be a good or not-so-great cop? Explain your rationale.
3. Why do you think the Sheriff of Layfaette Parish hires Dave when Dave is obviously drunk when he applies for the position? Is this a responsible thing to do on the Sheriff's part? Do you think the sheriff understands why Dave wants the position?
4. What motivates Dave to quit his job as a police officer at the end of the story? Is this a good decision on his part? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Romero calls Dave and says that he has cut a deal with Federal agents, except that Dave's refusal to come on board has stalled the process. Romero says that Dave must help him with the plea bargain or pay the consequences. Discuss the following:
1. What consequences do you think Romero has in mind?
2. Do you think it is wise and/or ethical for the government to cut a deal with Romero when he is threatening to commit another crime (i.e. the murder of Dave and/or a loved one of Dave's)?
3. Are plea bargains ethical in general? Fair? Necessary? What alternatives are there to plea bargains?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)