|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Coast Guard divers find on the plane?
2. What does Dave don?
3. Of what heritage is Dave's father?
4. What does Dave worry about for Robin?
5. What does Dave surmise about the occupants of the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
2. What happens that Dave is able to start his new job?
3. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
4. What do Dave and Batist do at the very end of the book?
5. What does Romero tell Dave when he calls Dave and what is Dave's reaction?
6. What does Victor Romero attempt?
7. What are Dave and Annie doing when the novel opens?
8. Describe the confrontation between Dave and Romero.
9. What do Dave and Annie do with the young girl they name Alafair?
10. Describe Claudette Rocque.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interesting characters contribute a great deal to the success of most novels. Discuss one of the following using specific examples from the text in your discussion:
1. Dave is singly the most important and most visible character of all the characters. Discuss Dave's most prominent character strengths and flaws and how they impact the other characters in the novel.
2. Define the term "character foil" and discuss which characters serve as a "foil" to Dave's character. How do they do so? Why do they do so? How does having a foil to a character help define and make that character more complex? How does it do so in Dave's case?
3. Discuss four secondary characters. What are their flaws and strengths? How do they contribute or detract from Dave's efforts at a normal, quiet life? What is Dave's opinion of each of the four characters? Does he like them? Tolerate them? Admire or despise them? Use specific examples from the text in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Dave continues his job but begins to drown in unwanted paperwork. He is good street cop but the administrative side of the job is definitely not his strong point. Discuss the following:
1. What does Dave have to do administratively that is so consuming and onerous for him? What aspects of his personality make this paperwork so difficult for him to deal with?
2. Do you think there should be some way for men and women who are really good beat cops but lousy on paperwork to have assistance with the paperwork aspect of the job? Why or why not?
3. What could be some advantages in filling out paperwork? Disadvantages?
4. Is there too much paperwork in general in the American culture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dave takes the law into his own hands when he decides to beat up Keats and then when he goes after Romero, one of his wife's murderers. Discuss the following:
1. When (or if) is it justified to mete out your own justice to someone who has wronged you or a loved one and broken the law in doing so?
2. What do you think it says about Dave's beliefs about the criminal justice system that he is his own judge and executioner?
3. Do you think Dave's beliefs about the justice system could influence his work as a police officer?
This section contains 3,479 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)