Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does Dautrieve play in college?
2. What does Batist want when he calls Dave?
3. What does Dave do when he returns home?
4. For what does Dave rail against law enforcement?
5. What does Dave think causes the plane to crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dave and Annie tell Alafair about her mother and what do they do to help Alafair start healing emotionally?
2. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
3. Where does Dave go from Bubba's house and what does he do?
4. What do Dave and Annie do in response to the event they witness?
5. Describe Minos P. Dautrieve.
6. What does Dave find out from Robin?
7. Describe Dave Robicheaux.
8. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
9. Describe Victor Romero.
10. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of James Lee Burke.
2. What in Burke's background may have helped Burke in writing HEAVEN'S PRISONERS? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal.
Essay Topic 3
Dave succumbs to his inner demons and engages on a prolonged bout of serious drinking. Throughout this period he spends many nights passed out in the bayou and many days drinking in a bar. Discuss one of the following:
1. What is an alcoholic? Do you think Dave is an alcoholic? What indications are there that Dave is or is not an alcoholic? What about Robin? Is she an alcoholic? How does she stop drinking? Do you think it will last?
2. What do most alcoholics do to quit drinking? Is Dave doing any of those things? Should he? Do you think it will be effective given his state of mind?
3. There is something called an "alcoholic personality," which some people have characteristics of even if they are not drinking. These people are called dry drunks. Research this concept and analyze Dave's personality in light of those characteristics. Do you think Dave is a dry drunk (Before Annie is killed)? Do the parts of his personality that contribute to his involvement and violent behavior fit that of a dry drunk?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)