|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where is Annie?
2. Why were two men who the INS arrested quickly released?
3. What happens when Dave turns his back on a man he is helping?
4. Who is Alafair?
5. How many passengers are in the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dave visit Robin?
2. How do Dave and Annie learn more about Alafair?
3. Who calls Dave and what does he want?
4. Briefly describe Robin Gaddis.
5. What do Dave and Annie do with the young girl they name Alafair?
6. Where does Dave go after a phone call from Batist?
7. What happens to Dave in the bayou?
8. What does Dave find out from Robin?
9. How does Dave begin his investigation?
10. Who visits Dave at his home and what does Dave learn and why does he make another dive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie wants Dave to live a life resigned of all involvement in the shady side of life. She wants him to remain sober and entirely detached from any police-type involvement--and she is very verbal and increasingly forceful about her desires in this regard. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze Dave and Annie's relationship. Is it stable? Loving? What causes the problems in the relationship when there are problems?
2. Do you think it is fair of Annie to ask Dave to stay out of the situation that revolves around the plane crash? Does she expect him to be someone he is not?
3. Annie meets Dave after he has already resigned from the police force in New Orleans; therefore, she marries a man who is not engaged in police operations. Do you think she would have married Dave had he still been a police officer?
Essay Topic 2
Dave begins working as a deputy for the Layfayette Parish Sheriff's Department. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave goes back to police work? Are we told why Dave quit police work with the New Orleans police department? Why?
2. What personality traits of Dave's might make him a good police officer? What would make him a ineffective or less-than-desirable police officer? Which in balancing the two seems to be stronger--his ability to be a good or not-so-great cop? Explain your rationale.
3. Why do you think the Sheriff of Layfaette Parish hires Dave when Dave is obviously drunk when he applies for the position? Is this a responsible thing to do on the Sheriff's part? Do you think the sheriff understands why Dave wants the position?
4. What motivates Dave to quit his job as a police officer at the end of the story? Is this a good decision on his part? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dave takes the law into his own hands when he decides to beat up Keats and then when he goes after Romero, one of his wife's murderers. Discuss the following:
1. When (or if) is it justified to mete out your own justice to someone who has wronged you or a loved one and broken the law in doing so?
2. What do you think it says about Dave's beliefs about the criminal justice system that he is his own judge and executioner?
3. Do you think Dave's beliefs about the justice system could influence his work as a police officer?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)