|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many passengers are in the plane?
2. What do Dave and Annie explain to their new daughter?
3. From whom does Dave obtain assistance?
4. How do Bubba and Dave deal with their respective professional activities?
5. Why is Dave admitted to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dave begin his investigation?
2. Who does Dave think about as he is sitting in church and what are his thoughts on the subject?
3. Who calls Dave and what does he want?
4. What does Dave conclude about the incident in the bayou?
5. What do Dave and Annie tell Alafair about her mother and what do they do to help Alafair start healing emotionally?
6. What are Dave and Annie doing when the novel opens?
7. Where do Dave and Annie go when they dock their boat?
8. What does Dave find out from Robin?
9. What is an indication of Robin's possibly over drinking?
10. What happens to Dave in the bayou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think HEAVEN'S PRISONERS is successful as a detective novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Heaven's Prisoners is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)