|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Monroe tell Dave were on the plane?
2. From where is Annie?
3. Where are Dave and Annie at the opening of the novel?
4. From whom does Dave obtain assistance?
5. What does Dautrieve suggest to Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
2. Who does Dave go to see after Annie is buried and what happens?
3. What does Dave ask Annie to do and how does she respond both to his request and her meeting Claudette?/
4. How does Dave begin his investigation?
5. What does Dave find when he dives down?
6. Describe Dave's visit to Bubba.
7. How does Dave ferret information out of Jerry?
8. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
9. What do Dave and Annie witness as they are about to have lunch?
10. Who does Dave see leaving Bubba's house the day after Dautrieve tells Dave about Bubba's beating Claudette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heaven's Prisoners is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
Essay Topic 2
Dave begins working as a deputy for the Layfayette Parish Sheriff's Department. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave goes back to police work? Are we told why Dave quit police work with the New Orleans police department? Why?
2. What personality traits of Dave's might make him a good police officer? What would make him a ineffective or less-than-desirable police officer? Which in balancing the two seems to be stronger--his ability to be a good or not-so-great cop? Explain your rationale.
3. Why do you think the Sheriff of Layfaette Parish hires Dave when Dave is obviously drunk when he applies for the position? Is this a responsible thing to do on the Sheriff's part? Do you think the sheriff understands why Dave wants the position?
4. What motivates Dave to quit his job as a police officer at the end of the story? Is this a good decision on his part? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal.
This section contains 3,684 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)