|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does Dautrieve play in college?
2. What does Batist want when he calls Dave?
3. What does Dave do when he returns home?
4. For what does Dave rail against law enforcement?
5. What does Dave think causes the plane to crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dave and Annie tell Alafair about her mother and what do they do to help Alafair start healing emotionally?
2. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
3. Where does Dave go from Bubba's house and what does he do?
4. What do Dave and Annie do in response to the event they witness?
5. Describe Minos P. Dautrieve.
6. What does Dave find out from Robin?
7. Describe Dave Robicheaux.
8. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
9. Describe Victor Romero.
10. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
Essay Topic 1
Annie wants Dave to live a life resigned of all involvement in the shady side of life. She wants him to remain sober and entirely detached from any police-type involvement--and she is very verbal and increasingly forceful about her desires in this regard. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze Dave and Annie's relationship. Is it stable? Loving? What causes the problems in the relationship when there are problems?
2. Do you think it is fair of Annie to ask Dave to stay out of the situation that revolves around the plane crash? Does she expect him to be someone he is not?
3. Annie meets Dave after he has already resigned from the police force in New Orleans; therefore, she marries a man who is not engaged in police operations. Do you think she would have married Dave had he still been a police officer?
Essay Topic 2
Interesting characters contribute a great deal to the success of most novels. Discuss one of the following using specific examples from the text in your discussion:
1. Dave is singly the most important and most visible character of all the characters. Discuss Dave's most prominent character strengths and flaws and how they impact the other characters in the novel.
2. Define the term "character foil" and discuss which characters serve as a "foil" to Dave's character. How do they do so? Why do they do so? How does having a foil to a character help define and make that character more complex? How does it do so in Dave's case?
3. Discuss four secondary characters. What are their flaws and strengths? How do they contribute or detract from Dave's efforts at a normal, quiet life? What is Dave's opinion of each of the four characters? Does he like them? Tolerate them? Admire or despise them? Use specific examples from the text in your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Dave succumbs to his inner demons and engages on a prolonged bout of serious drinking. Throughout this period he spends many nights passed out in the bayou and many days drinking in a bar. Discuss one of the following:
1. What is an alcoholic? Do you think Dave is an alcoholic? What indications are there that Dave is or is not an alcoholic? What about Robin? Is she an alcoholic? How does she stop drinking? Do you think it will last?
2. What do most alcoholics do to quit drinking? Is Dave doing any of those things? Should he? Do you think it will be effective given his state of mind?
3. There is something called an "alcoholic personality," which some people have characteristics of even if they are not drinking. These people are called dry drunks. Research this concept and analyze Dave's personality in light of those characteristics. Do you think Dave is a dry drunk (Before Annie is killed)? Do the parts of his personality that contribute to his involvement and violent behavior fit that of a dry drunk?
This section contains 3,819 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)