|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie beg of Dave?
2. For whom is Johnny Dartez working?
3. Of what does the tattoo remind Dave?
4. Why does Dave rough up Jerry?
5. Who is Jerry Falgout?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave's visit to Bubba.
2. What police department did Dave work for and why is he no longer employed there?
3. Who visits Dave at his home and what does Dave learn and why does he make another dive?
4. Describe Dave Robicheaux.
5. What do Dave and Annie witness as they are about to have lunch?
6. What is an indication of Robin's possibly over drinking?
7. What does Dave conclude about the incident in the bayou?
8. What does Dave learn when he sees Dautrieve the day after the bayou incident?
9. What do Dave and Annie tell Alafair about her mother and what do they do to help Alafair start healing emotionally?
10. What does Dave find out from Robin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Romero calls Dave and says that he has cut a deal with Federal agents, except that Dave's refusal to come on board has stalled the process. Romero says that Dave must help him with the plea bargain or pay the consequences. Discuss the following:
1. What consequences do you think Romero has in mind?
2. Do you think it is wise and/or ethical for the government to cut a deal with Romero when he is threatening to commit another crime (i.e. the murder of Dave and/or a loved one of Dave's)?
3. Are plea bargains ethical in general? Fair? Necessary? What alternatives are there to plea bargains?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, after Dave is beaten rather severely and spends the night in the hospital, he talks with the local sheriff. During the interview with the local sheriff, Dave quickly concludes that the sheriff has no intention of doing anything. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think the sheriff seems uninterested in following up on a person being beaten? Do you think this is common law enforcement practice? Do you think if the sheriff had taken action and arrested Eddie Keats, Dave would not have taken punishment into his own hands and not sparked off a chain of violence? Does violence beget violence in other works and in a sense is Dave partly responsible for Annie's death and perhaps even the sheriff who declines to take the first act of violence seriously.
2. It seems many people in the "real" world expect a lot of police officers when it comes to protecting them and their property, but when it comes to enforcing laws that the people themselves break, they think the police are unfair to too zealous. (for example, the way many people respond to a ticket for a driving violation). Is this fair to the police officers? Is it just human nature to respond when "caught"? Discuss fully using examples from the book and your own experiences.
3. Trace and analyze the actions of enforcement officers, both local police and the INS and DEA agents. Are they all ethical? Humane? Competent? What are their motives for police work? Use specific examples to illustrate your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Heaven's Prisoners is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)