Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does Dautrieve play in college?
2. What does Batist want when he calls Dave?
3. What does Dave do when he returns home?
4. For what does Dave rail against law enforcement?
5. What does Dave think causes the plane to crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dave and Annie tell Alafair about her mother and what do they do to help Alafair start healing emotionally?
2. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
3. Where does Dave go from Bubba's house and what does he do?
4. What do Dave and Annie do in response to the event they witness?
5. Describe Minos P. Dautrieve.
6. What does Dave find out from Robin?
7. Describe Dave Robicheaux.
8. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
9. Describe Victor Romero.
10. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 3, Alafair's story is brutally graphic and presented at some length, but has no involvement with the remainder of the plot. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly summarize what Alafair tells Dave and Annie through and interpreter. Does her story sound authentic? Why do you think Burke goes into Alafair's story to great detail but it really is not relevant to the rest of the book? Is he setting her up to become a regular character in future novels? Why or why not?
2. Do you think a six-year-old is cognizant enough to offer a brutal and graphic description of her former life? If so, is she capable of understanding what she is relating? What emotional repercussions do you think Alafair will suffer from the time in her previous country?
3. Do you think Dave should keep Alafair after Annie's death? Does he have the emotional capability to give Alafair what she needs--after all, Alafair has suffered much emotional trauma in her few short years and may need professional help and a stable home. Can Dave provide both?
Essay Topic 2
Dave succumbs to his inner demons and engages on a prolonged bout of serious drinking. Throughout this period he spends many nights passed out in the bayou and many days drinking in a bar. Discuss one of the following:
1. What is an alcoholic? Do you think Dave is an alcoholic? What indications are there that Dave is or is not an alcoholic? What about Robin? Is she an alcoholic? How does she stop drinking? Do you think it will last?
2. What do most alcoholics do to quit drinking? Is Dave doing any of those things? Should he? Do you think it will be effective given his state of mind?
3. There is something called an "alcoholic personality," which some people have characteristics of even if they are not drinking. These people are called dry drunks. Research this concept and analyze Dave's personality in light of those characteristics. Do you think Dave is a dry drunk (Before Annie is killed)? Do the parts of his personality that contribute to his involvement and violent behavior fit that of a dry drunk?
Essay Topic 3
It becomes increasingly obvious that Dave is willing to sacrifice his simple and enjoyable life in order to become involved with the ugly side of life in Louisiana and to set things aright, as he sees it. Discuss the following:
1. Analyze the process of Dave becoming involved, then retreating, then becoming involved, then retreating, etc., and why you think he vacillates so much.
2. Discuss the aspects of Dave's personality that makes it very difficult for him to forget the plane crash.
3. If Dave had stayed away from the plane crash investigation, it is likely Annie would still be alive. How do you think this knowledge impacts Dave? Use specific examples from the story to illustrate your point.
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)