|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mick always asked to work overtime?
(a) Because the owner likes her.
(b) Because she needs the money.
(c) Because she can stand on her feet longer than other girls.
(d) Because no one else will do it.
2. What is the man named Simms trying to do to Jake Blount?
(a) Trying to convert him.
(b) Trying to join his cult.
(c) Trying to steal his money.
(d) Trying to be his friend.
3. Why has Portia made arrangements against her father's wishes?
(a) He is getting too sick and need a hospital.
(b) He is too contrary for her to handle.
(c) He can't get out of bed.
(d) They can not pay for his house and take care of him.
4. What does Mick suggest she and Harry do before they return to the meal?
(a) Dive in the water.
(b) Swim naked.
(c) Swing from a rope.
(d) Build a raft.
5. What gift does he give Antonapoulos?
(a) A VCR and tapes.
(b) A moving-picture machine with cartoons.
(c) A mystery novel.
(d) A big box of candy.
6. Why does Portia suddenly take up drinking and arrive at her father's house drunk?
(a) She and Highboy could not pay their rent and had to move.
(b) She lost her job.
(c) Her husband left her for another woman.
(d) Willie had both feet sawed off.
7. What does Mick Kelly write in her notebook?
(a) A diary.
(c) Short stories.
8. Why is Dr. Copeland put into jail?
(a) He doesn't listen when he is told to go home.
(b) He doesn't go to jail.
(c) They think he is drunk, not sick, when he passes out.
(d) He fought back..
9. In Chapter 9 what is the Kellys biggest problem?
(a) Having enough money.
(b) Finding new boarders.
(c) Keeping track of the kids.
(d) Getting the house painted.
10. What does Dr. Copeland say when Jake enters his bedroom?
(a) He welcomes him inside.
(b) He tells him to get out.
(c) He gets up and shakes hands.
(d) He asks him what he wants.
11. When Mick thinks about the last month, what two things can't she believe?
(a) That Mr. Singer was dead and she was grown and working at Woolworth's.
(b) That Mr. Singer had committed suicide and that she had found him.
(c) That she was alone and unhappy.
(d) That school was starting soon and she was working.
12. What happens when Jake asks for the names of the guards that hurt Willie?
(a) Willie is scared.
(b) Portia explains Willie agreed not to do certain things.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) He is told not to make trouble.
13. Who does Mr. Singer meet as he walks the streets before catching his train home?
(a) A husband and wife who were signing.
(b) Mick Kelly.
(c) Three men who are mute.
(d) An attractive woman.
14. What does Harry ask Mick to do to get away and relieve the heat?
(a) Swim in the river.
(b) Go to the YMCA pool.
(c) To go on a picnic and swimming.
(d) Go to the country club pool.
15. In the narration of Part 2, Chapter 14, how are the strange feelings Mick is having described?
(a) It is like she wants to get her own apartment.
(b) It is like she is waiting for something, but didn't know what.
(c) It is like she missed Harry and wanted to go find him.
(d) It is like she is tired all the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mick dream of being when she is twenty?
2. What changes about Mr. Singer after he learns the news at the asylum?
3. When Jake asks Willie to tell him what happened, what does Willie say?
4. What is Dr. Copeland supposed to do on August 21, 1939?
5. Where do Jake and Mr. Singer go in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 13?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)