|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Biff Brannon find in the bathroom closet?
(a) Alice's make-up.
(b) A bottle of pain pills.
(c) His wife's perfume.
(d) Toilet cleaner.
2. What does Jake say when Mr. Singer tells him about Willie?
(a) He says that it is a darn shame.
(b) He says the boy must have deserved it.
(c) He says there is something that could be done.
(d) He says he knows a good lawyer.
3. What does Mick suggest she and Harry do before they return to the meal?
(a) Dive in the water.
(b) Swing from a rope.
(c) Swim naked.
(d) Build a raft.
4. Why has Portia made arrangements against her father's wishes?
(a) He is getting too sick and need a hospital.
(b) He can't get out of bed.
(c) They can not pay for his house and take care of him.
(d) He is too contrary for her to handle.
5. Why does Mick think boys have it better than girls?
(a) Boys are stronger.
(b) Boys can wear long pants or shorts.
(c) Boys can get a part time job and not have to quit school.
(d) Boys can wear their hair short if they wanted too.
6. What does Portia tell her father at the end of Book 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Colored people should know their place.
(b) The best thing to do is be quiet and wait.
(c) You need to be in bed.
(d) Colored people should unite and revolt.
7. How do Harry and Mick get the the Girl Scout camp?
(a) They ride a bicycle.
(b) Harry borrows his mother's car.
(c) They walk.
(d) The bus.
8. What happens after the Jake and Dr. Copeland talked most the night?
(a) They realize they were hopelessly opposite in their views.
(b) They realize they both enjoy reading the same books.
(c) They both are hungry and thirsty.
(d) They realize they agreed on many things, but not on how to accomplish them.
9. By May, what does Mick spend an obsessive amount of time doing?
(a) Looking for Harry to tell him she is okay.
(b) Swimming, because it is so hot.
(c) Working at the New York Cafe.
(d) Following, watching, or visiting Mr. Singer.
10. Why does Portia suddenly take up drinking and arrive at her father's house drunk?
(a) She lost her job.
(b) Her husband left her for another woman.
(c) She and Highboy could not pay their rent and had to move.
(d) Willie had both feet sawed off.
11. What happens to Dr. Copeland while he is at the courthouse?
(a) He is told to go home.
(b) He gets ill and passes out.
(c) He sees no one and goes home.
(d) He is beaten by the sheriff.
12. What is Jack Blount's dream?
(a) He is walking in a crowd, carrying something.
(b) He is walking on a tightrope.
(c) He is on a train.
(d) He is riding on the flying-jenny.
13. What does Jake tell Copeland's guests he wants to do?
(a) Take the boys to a special hospital in Texas to get help.
(b) Take the boys around, and tell people what happened and why.
(c) Take the boys to the state capitol, and tell the governor what happened.
(d) All the answers are correct.
14. What changes about Mr. Singer after he learns the news at the asylum?
(a) He can't stop crying.
(b) He changes from mild-mannered to irritable and cold.
(c) He picks a fight with the staff at the asylum.
(d) He leaves everything behind and goes home.
15. What epidemic keeps Dr. Copeland busy during February?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake's fellow workers think he is?
2. Where is Jake going to go after leaving town?
3. Who does Biff watch for when he goes back to work in Part 2, Chapter 8?
4. Where does Mick go after work on August 21?
5. Who starts the problem that Jake Blount is running away from?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)