|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Dr. Copeland while he is at the courthouse?
(a) He sees no one and goes home.
(b) He is told to go home.
(c) He gets ill and passes out.
(d) He is beaten by the sheriff.
2. What does Dr. Copeland lack the strength to do?
(a) To crawl into the back of the wagon for a nap.
(b) To jump off the wagon and go home again.
(c) To sit up and speak in a loud voice.
(d) To shout his feelings to the world.
3. By May, what does Mick spend an obsessive amount of time doing?
(a) Working at the New York Cafe.
(b) Swimming, because it is so hot.
(c) Following, watching, or visiting Mr. Singer.
(d) Looking for Harry to tell him she is okay.
4. What happens in June that changes everything for Mick?
(a) Her sister comes home and tells her she is getting married.
(b) Her brother gets a raise and is able to help the family more.
(c) Etta has her surgery and is getting better.
(d) Her sister comes home and said they are hiring where she works.
5. What does Portia tell her father at the end of Book 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Colored people should know their place.
(b) You need to be in bed.
(c) Colored people should unite and revolt.
(d) The best thing to do is be quiet and wait.
6. Who is the only person in Mick's "inside" room?
(b) Her father.
(c) Carol Lombard.
(d) Mr. Singer.
7. Why is Mr. Singer on the train?
(a) He is going to visit his sister.
(b) He is going to the Gulf on vacation.
(c) He is looking for a new home.
(d) He is going to visit his friend Antonapoulos.
8. Why isn't Mick getting enough sleep?
(a) She has to take care of her baby brother at night.
(b) She has to sleep on the sofa.
(c) She is helping her father at night.
(d) She is sneaking out of the house at night.
9. What does Mick dream of being when she is twenty?
(a) A mother.
(b) A popular writer.
(c) A world-famous composer.
(d) A singer.
10. What was wrong with Etta Kelly?
(a) She is sick with a diseased ovary.
(b) She has pnemonia.
(c) She has influenza.
(d) She has bad cramps.
11. What does Mick suggest she and Harry do before they return to the meal?
(a) Swim naked.
(b) Build a raft.
(c) Swing from a rope.
(d) Dive in the water.
12. What changes about Mr. Singer after he learns the news at the asylum?
(a) He changes from mild-mannered to irritable and cold.
(b) He leaves everything behind and goes home.
(c) He picks a fight with the staff at the asylum.
(d) He can't stop crying.
13. What gift does he give Antonapoulos?
(a) A big box of candy.
(b) A VCR and tapes.
(c) A mystery novel.
(d) A moving-picture machine with cartoons.
14. What does Jake tell Copeland's guests he wants to do?
(a) All the answers are correct.
(b) Take the boys to the state capitol, and tell the governor what happened.
(c) Take the boys to a special hospital in Texas to get help.
(d) Take the boys around, and tell people what happened and why.
15. What does Mick Kelly write in her notebook?
(c) Short stories.
(d) A diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Singer's memories of Antonapoulos?
2. Where is Jake going to go after leaving town?
3. What grieves Dr. Copeland the most?
4. Where is Antonapoulos when Mr. Singer goes to visit him at the asylum?
5. Who finds Mr. Singer's dead body?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)