|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Portia tell her father about Willie?
(a) Willie got in a fight and cut a man with a razor.
(b) Willie eloped with a woman Portia didn't like.
(c) Willie was beaten up and in the hospital.
(d) Willie ran off with the wife of another man.
2. What happens to Singer after Antonapoulos was gone?
(a) He walks and walks at night.
(b) He dreams of his friend Antonapoulos.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) He relives memories of time with his friend.
3. Why is Jake Blount so drawn to Mr. Singer?
(a) Mr. Singer listens to him and seems to understand.
(b) Mr. Singer gives him a lot of beer.
(c) Mr. Singer is very kind to him.
(d) Mr. Singer never argues with him.
4. What does Dr. Copeland do for his patients on Christmas day?
(a) He gives them all a free check-up.
(b) He treats them to a free dinner.
(c) He doesn't do anything.
(d) He has a Christmas party.
5. What happens to Dr. Copeland at the family reunion?
(a) He has to give everyone a check up.
(b) He is delighted to be with everyone.
(c) He gets sick and has to leave.
(d) He feels out of place and angry.
6. What do Antonapoulos and Singer have in common?
(a) They are both unable to speak.
(b) They have lived together for ten years.
(c) All of the answers are correct.
(d) They are both unable to hear.
7. What was Mick doing in her brother's room that upset her?
(a) Trying to make a violin out of a broken ukulele.
(b) Trying to talk to him and he was ignoring her.
(c) Taking a nap in his bed.
(d) Trying to paint some new pictures that didn't turn out.
8. What does Dr. Copeland's daughter tell him about her job?
(a) The Kellys are having financial difficulties.
(b) The work is really long and hard.
(c) The Kellys are a very nice, white family.
(d) All the answers are correct.
9. What does Jake tell Mr. Singer that he had once done to his hand?
(a) He sprained it.
(b) He nailed it to a table.
(c) He broke it in a fight.
(d) He put a stake through it.
10. What does Brannon carry downstairs and keep behind the cash register?
(a) Jake Blount's bag of books.
(b) Jake Blount's suitcase.
(c) A stack of out-dated newspapers.
(d) Start-up money for the day.
11. According to Dr. Copeland, what is wrong with the best written essay?
(a) There were too many wild notions.
(b) There was too much hatred in it.
(c) There were too many mistakes in grammar.
(d) There was no name on it.
12. How does Jake Blount feel when he is at home?
(a) All answers are correct.
13. Who does Portia say her father is?
(a) A black doctor in town.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A black judge.
(d) A lawyer.
14. What happens to Biff Brannon on October 8?
(a) His wife dies.
(b) He starts a new business.
(c) He goes to see Mr. Singer.
(d) He changes into a new pair of pants.
15. What kind of relationship does Brannon have with his wife, Alice?
(a) They dislike each other, but won't divorce because they both want to keep the business.
(b) They do not sleep together and call one another Mr. and Mrs. Brannon.
(c) They flirt and call one another by the pet names Mr. and Mrs.
(d) Cordial and affectionate.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she sat on the landing listening to Miss Brown's radio, where did Mick want be?
2. What does Jake Blount say about Mr. Singer after he first meets him?
3. What was the motto of the organization Jake Blount once founded?
4. What does Willie tell Biff Brannon happened to Jake Blount after he left the cafe?
5. Where does Jake spend the second night of the story?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)