● The story begins with five men on a steamer called the Nellie, on the Thames, waiting to sail out. An unnamed narrator tells the story.
● As they wait, a man called Marlow begins to recount his own story.
● Several years before, Marlow had returned to London from sailing in the East, and was searching for a new adventure.
● Always fascinated by the unknown on maps, Marlow examined the river dividing Africa and decided that he would go there.
● Pulling some strings, Marlow was able to get a position on a continental boat with a trading company, headed for Africa.
● Before going, he had to report to the trading company headquarters, in an unnamed country.
● There, he had a sense of the sinister, but nevertheless signed up, including signing a confidentiality agreement (which he claims he will not violate now).
● Marlow then had to see a doctor, who...
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)