|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the lessons illustrated in the book Luke found?
2. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of doing?
3. For what does Luke claim he has a passion?
4. How do Eleanor and the others feel when they wake up?
5. What does Eleanor hear while walking alone by the brook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
2. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
3. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
4. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
5. What does Eleanor hear as she walks the grounds of Hill House?
6. When does Mrs. Montague arrive at the house? Why does she come?
7. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
8. Who plans to roam the halls all night? Why?
9. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
10. Who wants to move in with Theo after the summer. What does Theo say to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Eleanor climb the spiral staircase? Is Eleanor attempting to kill herself? Why? Why does Eleanor do this now when she was afraid of the library before? What does this tell the others about Eleanor? Does this have an impact on Dr. Montague's decision to send Eleanor home?
Essay Topic 2
What book does Luke find in the library that frightens him? What is the intention of this book? What is significant about the pictures in the book? What is significant about the signature in the book? What does all this say about the person who wrote the book?
Essay Topic 3
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)