|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eleanor go after her conversation with Theo?
2. What impedes their investigation of the cold spot?
3. Who stands at the door when the sound begins, trying to establish from which direction the sound is coming?
4. What is Theo's response to this request.
5. What does Eleanor come to believe she can hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Montague concerned that everyone is happy?
2. Where does Theo spend the following night?
3. What does Eleanor hear as she sits in the parlor?
4. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
5. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
6. What is Mrs. Montague's opinion of Dr. Montague's research thus far?
7. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
8. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
9. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
10. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Dr. Montague concerned about Eleanor's reaction to the house? Why has Dr. Montague invited her there? Why does Eleanor deny this incident? How does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor will be affected by the house?
Essay Topic 3
What is theme? What are some of the themes of this novel? Describe each in a short sentence, using quotes from the novel to support your argument. How does the theme influence the development of the novel?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)