|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor expect to feel under her feet as she goes back to Hill House?
2. What does Luke find?
3. Who hears a child singing?
4. Who refuses to allow the group to linger over their breakfast?
5. How is Eleanor's mood in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Mrs. Montague arrive at the house? Why does she come?
2. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
3. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
4. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
5. Where does Theo spend the following night?
6. What does Eleanor confess to Theo as they walk the grounds?
7. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
8. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
9. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
10. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who built Hill House? For what purpose? What is unusual about the design of Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors close on their own? Why do people get lost in the house? Where does the spiral staircase in the library lead? What is significant about this place?
Essay Topic 2
What is the sound Eleanor hears often at night? Why does Theo not always hear the sound even though the sound comes at one point while they share a room? How do these sounds affect Eleanor? What do these sounds say about Eleanor's relationship to the house? Whose hands was Eleanor holding the night she hears the sounds and believes Theo woke, but did not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of the relationship between Eleanor and Theo? Are they friends? Is there sexual tension between them? Why does this relationship begin to turn sour? Is Theo truly mean to Eleanor, or is this just something Eleanor perceives because of the house?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)