|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke tell Eleanor about his mother?
2. Who treats Luke like a servant?
3. Where do Dr. Montague and his assistants spend the night?
4. What does Luke find in the library in Chapter 6?
5. Who does Eleanor eavesdrop on early in the afternoon outside the summer house?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Eleanor sit in the summer house?
2. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
3. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
4. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
5. Where does Theo spend the following night?
6. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
7. What does Eleanor hear as she sits in the parlor?
8. What is Mrs. Montague's opinion of Dr. Montague's research thus far?
9. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
10. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Eleanor Vance? Why does Eleanor accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague offer the invitation? What does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor's presence will offer his investigation? What is significant about Eleanor's past? How does this past affect her emotions? How does this past influence Eleanor's future?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)