|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose call did Eleanor not heed the night of his/her death?
2. What does Eleanor come to believe she can hear?
3. What do the words on Theo's wall say?
4. Who mocks Eleanor about Journeys ending in lovers meeting?
5. What upsets the group about the illustrations in the book Luke found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wants to move in with Theo after the summer. What does Theo say to this?
2. With whom does Eleanor sit in the summer house?
3. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
4. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
5. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
6. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
7. What warning does Dr. Montague address directly to Eleanor?
8. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
9. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
10. What does Eleanor hear as she walks the grounds of Hill House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What book does Luke find in the library that frightens him? What is the intention of this book? What is significant about the pictures in the book? What is significant about the signature in the book? What does all this say about the person who wrote the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 3
What is an unreliable narrator? Is Eleanor an unreliable narrator? How can you tell? What could the author have done differently to make the narrator more reliable? How does the author's choice of narrators impact the overall plot development?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)