|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insists on sleeping in the nursery?
2. What does Eleanor come to believe has fallen?
3. What do Eleanor and Theo see while walking on the property after dark?
4. Who treats Luke like a servant?
5. What does Eleanor come to believe she can hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
2. In what room does Mrs. Montague insist on sleeping?
3. Why is Dr. Montague concerned that everyone is happy?
4. What warning does Dr. Montague address directly to Eleanor?
5. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
6. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
7. What does Eleanor confess to Theo as they walk the grounds?
8. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
9. With whom does Eleanor sit in the summer house?
10. Who wants to move in with Theo after the summer. What does Theo say to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Eleanor Vance? Why does Eleanor accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague offer the invitation? What does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor's presence will offer his investigation? What is significant about Eleanor's past? How does this past affect her emotions? How does this past influence Eleanor's future?
Essay Topic 2
What book does Luke find in the library that frightens him? What is the intention of this book? What is significant about the pictures in the book? What is significant about the signature in the book? What does all this say about the person who wrote the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Eleanor climb the spiral staircase? Is Eleanor attempting to kill herself? Why? Why does Eleanor do this now when she was afraid of the library before? What does this tell the others about Eleanor? Does this have an impact on Dr. Montague's decision to send Eleanor home?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)