|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Montague announce will arrive the following Saturday?
2. Where does Eleanor go after her conversation with Theo?
3. Why does Theo tease Eleanor?
4. What question does Eleanor ask Theo about their conversation?
5. Who follows Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Theo spend the following night?
2. What is Mrs. Montague's opinion of Dr. Montague's research thus far?
3. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
4. What does Eleanor confess to Theo as they walk the grounds?
5. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
6. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
7. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
8. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
9. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
10. Why is Dr. Montague concerned that everyone is happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
Essay Topic 3
What is an unreliable narrator? Is Eleanor an unreliable narrator? How can you tell? What could the author have done differently to make the narrator more reliable? How does the author's choice of narrators impact the overall plot development?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)