|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eleanor say she is not frightened by the state of Theo's room?
2. For what does Luke claim he has a passion?
3. What does Eleanor think of Luke's confession?
4. What does Theo advice Eleanor to do?
5. Who takes charge when Theo becomes hysterical over the state of her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
2. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
3. With whom does Eleanor sit in the summer house?
4. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
5. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
6. Why is Dr. Montague concerned that everyone is happy?
7. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
8. What does Eleanor hear as she sits in the parlor?
9. What is Mrs. Montague's opinion of Dr. Montague's research thus far?
10. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of the relationship between Eleanor and Theo? Are they friends? Is there sexual tension between them? Why does this relationship begin to turn sour? Is Theo truly mean to Eleanor, or is this just something Eleanor perceives because of the house?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 3
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)