|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dr. Montague and his assistants spend the night?
2. What does Eleanor hear while walking alone by the brook?
3. What does Luke find?
4. Where does Eleanor go after her conversation with Theo?
5. What question does Eleanor ask Theo about their conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who teases Eleanor about her relationship with Luke?
2. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
3. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
4. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
5. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
6. When does Mrs. Montague arrive at the house? Why does she come?
7. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
8. In what room does Mrs. Montague insist on sleeping?
9. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
10. Where does Theo spend the following night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What book does Luke find in the library that frightens him? What is the intention of this book? What is significant about the pictures in the book? What is significant about the signature in the book? What does all this say about the person who wrote the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Dr. Montague concerned about Eleanor's reaction to the house? Why has Dr. Montague invited her there? Why does Eleanor deny this incident? How does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor will be affected by the house?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Eleanor climb the spiral staircase? Is Eleanor attempting to kill herself? Why? Why does Eleanor do this now when she was afraid of the library before? What does this tell the others about Eleanor? Does this have an impact on Dr. Montague's decision to send Eleanor home?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)