|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Eleanor to get dressed?
2. How does Eleanor react to Theo's teasing?
3. Who is concerned for Mrs. Montague?
4. Who looks forward to owning Hill House?
5. Who insists on sleeping in the nursery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
2. When does Mrs. Montague arrive at the house? Why does she come?
3. In what room does Mrs. Montague insist on sleeping?
4. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
5. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
6. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
7. Who wants to move in with Theo after the summer. What does Theo say to this?
8. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
9. What does Eleanor confess to Theo as they walk the grounds?
10. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Eleanor the only one who can hear the small child singing her final night in the house? Why does Eleanor believes she can hear everything that is happening in the house? What impact does this imply about Eleanor? Is this what causes Eleanor to act strange later in the night?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature between Eleanor and Luke? Does Eleanor like Luke? Why does Eleanor doubt Luke's sincerity when he tells her about his mother? Is Eleanor's perception of Luke affected by the house?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)