|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Luke go alone after breakfast?
2. What does Eleanor hear while walking alone by the brook?
3. What is Theo's response to this request.
4. How do Eleanor and the others feel when they wake up?
5. Who is concerned for Mrs. Montague?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
2. In what room does Mrs. Montague insist on sleeping?
3. What is Mrs. Montague's opinion of Dr. Montague's research thus far?
4. Why is Dr. Montague concerned that everyone is happy?
5. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
6. Who plans to roam the halls all night? Why?
7. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
8. What does Eleanor confess to Theo as they walk the grounds?
9. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
10. What does Eleanor hear as she walks the grounds of Hill House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Montague? Why does she show up at Hill House? What does Mrs. Montague plan to do there? What is significant about Mrs. Montague's treatment of her husband? Of his assistants? What is significant of Mrs. Montague's relationship with Mrs. Dudley?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Dr. Montague concerned about Eleanor's reaction to the house? Why has Dr. Montague invited her there? Why does Eleanor deny this incident? How does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor will be affected by the house?
Essay Topic 3
What is the sound Eleanor hears often at night? Why does Theo not always hear the sound even though the sound comes at one point while they share a room? How do these sounds affect Eleanor? What do these sounds say about Eleanor's relationship to the house? Whose hands was Eleanor holding the night she hears the sounds and believes Theo woke, but did not?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)