|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor want to do to Theo when she sees her wearing her new red sweater?
2. How does Eleanor react to Theo's teasing?
3. Whose call did Eleanor not heed the night of his/her death?
4. What does Eleanor think of Luke's confession?
5. Who believes ghosts only want to be loved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Dr. Montague address directly to Eleanor?
2. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
3. Who teases Eleanor about her relationship with Luke?
4. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
5. What does Eleanor hear as she walks the grounds of Hill House?
6. In what room does Mrs. Montague insist on sleeping?
7. With whom does Eleanor sit in the summer house?
8. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
9. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
10. Why is Dr. Montague concerned that everyone is happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What book does Luke find in the library that frightens him? What is the intention of this book? What is significant about the pictures in the book? What is significant about the signature in the book? What does all this say about the person who wrote the book?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dr. Montague? Why is he interested in Hill House? What does Dr. Montague hope to find at Hill House? What will this investigation mean for Dr. Montague's academic future? Why does Dr. Montague hire assistants? Why is Dr. Montague vague about his needs in the letter he sends to prospective assistants? Is Dr. Montague hiding something?
Essay Topic 3
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)