|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests a walk to the brook?
2. What does Theo tease Eleanor about in Chapter 6?
3. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
4. Where does Arthur plan to spend the night?
5. What are the lessons illustrated in the book Luke found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
2. Who plans to roam the halls all night? Why?
3. What is Mrs. Montague's opinion of Dr. Montague's research thus far?
4. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
5. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
6. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
7. With whom does Eleanor sit in the summer house?
8. Who teases Eleanor about her relationship with Luke?
9. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
10. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 2
What is theme? What are some of the themes of this novel? Describe each in a short sentence, using quotes from the novel to support your argument. How does the theme influence the development of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)