|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the words on Theo's wall say?
2. Who follows Eleanor?
3. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
4. What does Theo confess she did while going back to Hill House?
5. What nickname does Theo use with Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
2. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
3. In what room does Mrs. Montague insist on sleeping?
4. When does Mrs. Montague arrive at the house? Why does she come?
5. With whom does Eleanor sit in the summer house?
6. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
7. What does Eleanor confess to Theo as they walk the grounds?
8. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
9. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
10. What does Eleanor hear as she sits in the parlor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Montague? Why does she show up at Hill House? What does Mrs. Montague plan to do there? What is significant about Mrs. Montague's treatment of her husband? Of his assistants? What is significant of Mrs. Montague's relationship with Mrs. Dudley?
Essay Topic 2
What is the sound Eleanor hears often at night? Why does Theo not always hear the sound even though the sound comes at one point while they share a room? How do these sounds affect Eleanor? What do these sounds say about Eleanor's relationship to the house? Whose hands was Eleanor holding the night she hears the sounds and believes Theo woke, but did not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)