|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
2. What does Luke find in the library in Chapter 6?
3. What does Theo tease Eleanor about in Chapter 6?
4. What are the lessons illustrated in the book Luke found?
5. What does Eleanor come to believe she can hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
2. What warning does Dr. Montague address directly to Eleanor?
3. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
4. Who teases Eleanor about her relationship with Luke?
5. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
6. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
7. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
8. Who wants to move in with Theo after the summer. What does Theo say to this?
9. Where does Theo spend the following night?
10. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Eleanor climb the spiral staircase? Is Eleanor attempting to kill herself? Why? Why does Eleanor do this now when she was afraid of the library before? What does this tell the others about Eleanor? Does this have an impact on Dr. Montague's decision to send Eleanor home?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the Dudleys? Why are they at Hill House? Why does Mr. Dudley try to frighten Eleanor away? Why does it not work? Why does Mrs. Dudley refuse to stay in the house after dark? Why is Mrs. Dudley unfriendly to Dr. Montague and his assistants?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)