|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets the group about the illustrations in the book Luke found?
2. What is the cause of Eleanor's sudden happiness?
3. How do Eleanor and the others feel when they wake up?
4. Who is concerned for Mrs. Montague?
5. Where does Eleanor go after her conversation with Theo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
2. With whom does Eleanor sit in the summer house?
3. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
4. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
5. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
6. What does Eleanor hear as she sits in the parlor?
7. What warning does Dr. Montague address directly to Eleanor?
8. What does Eleanor confess to Theo as they walk the grounds?
9. When does Mrs. Montague arrive at the house? Why does she come?
10. Where does Theo spend the following night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Dudleys? Why are they at Hill House? Why does Mr. Dudley try to frighten Eleanor away? Why does it not work? Why does Mrs. Dudley refuse to stay in the house after dark? Why is Mrs. Dudley unfriendly to Dr. Montague and his assistants?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of the relationship between Eleanor and Theo? Are they friends? Is there sexual tension between them? Why does this relationship begin to turn sour? Is Theo truly mean to Eleanor, or is this just something Eleanor perceives because of the house?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)