|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Luke claim he has a passion?
2. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
3. Who is Arthur?
4. Where do Dr. Montague and his assistants spend the night?
5. Who treats Luke like a servant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who plans to roam the halls all night? Why?
2. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
3. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
4. Who teases Eleanor about her relationship with Luke?
5. When does Mrs. Montague arrive at the house? Why does she come?
6. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
7. What does Eleanor hear as she sits in the parlor?
8. Where does Theo spend the following night?
9. What is Mrs. Montague's opinion of Dr. Montague's research thus far?
10. What does Luke find written in the hallway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Eleanor the only one who can hear the small child singing her final night in the house? Why does Eleanor believes she can hear everything that is happening in the house? What impact does this imply about Eleanor? Is this what causes Eleanor to act strange later in the night?
Essay Topic 2
Who built Hill House? For what purpose? What is unusual about the design of Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors close on their own? Why do people get lost in the house? Where does the spiral staircase in the library lead? What is significant about this place?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Montague? Why does she show up at Hill House? What does Mrs. Montague plan to do there? What is significant about Mrs. Montague's treatment of her husband? Of his assistants? What is significant of Mrs. Montague's relationship with Mrs. Dudley?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)