|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eleanor surprised to see when she wakes?
2. How is Eleanor's mood in Chapter 7?
3. What nickname does Theo use with Eleanor?
4. Why does Theo tease Eleanor?
5. What is Theo's response to this request.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eleanor hear as she walks the grounds of Hill House?
2. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
3. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
4. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
5. Who wants to move in with Theo after the summer. What does Theo say to this?
6. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
7. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
8. What warning does Dr. Montague address directly to Eleanor?
9. Where does Theo spend the following night?
10. Who teases Eleanor about her relationship with Luke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dr. Montague? Why is he interested in Hill House? What does Dr. Montague hope to find at Hill House? What will this investigation mean for Dr. Montague's academic future? Why does Dr. Montague hire assistants? Why is Dr. Montague vague about his needs in the letter he sends to prospective assistants? Is Dr. Montague hiding something?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of the relationship between Eleanor and Theo? Are they friends? Is there sexual tension between them? Why does this relationship begin to turn sour? Is Theo truly mean to Eleanor, or is this just something Eleanor perceives because of the house?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)