|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
2. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
3. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke?
4. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
5. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Hill House?
2. Who is Dr. Montague?
3. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
4. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
5. Who is Luke Sanderson?
6. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
7. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
8. Who gets lost on their way to breakfast? Why?
9. Who is Theodora?
10. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is theme? What are some of the themes of this novel? Describe each in a short sentence, using quotes from the novel to support your argument. How does the theme influence the development of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of the relationship between Eleanor and Theo? Are they friends? Is there sexual tension between them? Why does this relationship begin to turn sour? Is Theo truly mean to Eleanor, or is this just something Eleanor perceives because of the house?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)