|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Theo and Eleanor think will disappoint Mrs. Dudley?
2. How does Eleanor introduce herself?
3. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
4. Who opens the door?
5. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
2. Who is Dr. Montague?
3. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
4. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
5. Who gets lost on their way to breakfast? Why?
6. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
7. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
8. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
9. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
10. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the sound Eleanor hears often at night? Why does Theo not always hear the sound even though the sound comes at one point while they share a room? How do these sounds affect Eleanor? What do these sounds say about Eleanor's relationship to the house? Whose hands was Eleanor holding the night she hears the sounds and believes Theo woke, but did not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Eleanor climb the spiral staircase? Is Eleanor attempting to kill herself? Why? Why does Eleanor do this now when she was afraid of the library before? What does this tell the others about Eleanor? Does this have an impact on Dr. Montague's decision to send Eleanor home?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)