|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor dislike her sister for?
2. How does Theo react to Luke?
3. How does Theo insist she and Eleanor should dress?
4. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
5. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gets lost on their way to breakfast? Why?
2. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
3. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
4. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
5. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
6. What is significant about Hill House?
7. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
8. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
9. Who are the Dudleys?
10. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is theme? What are some of the themes of this novel? Describe each in a short sentence, using quotes from the novel to support your argument. How does the theme influence the development of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dr. Montague? Why is he interested in Hill House? What does Dr. Montague hope to find at Hill House? What will this investigation mean for Dr. Montague's academic future? Why does Dr. Montague hire assistants? Why is Dr. Montague vague about his needs in the letter he sends to prospective assistants? Is Dr. Montague hiding something?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature between Eleanor and Luke? Does Eleanor like Luke? Why does Eleanor doubt Luke's sincerity when he tells her about his mother? Is Eleanor's perception of Luke affected by the house?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)