|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Dr. Montague and Luke searching for during the manifestation that woke the girls?
2. Who provides directions to Hill House?
3. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
4. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
5. Who offers to pray for Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
2. Who are the Dudleys?
3. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
4. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
5. At what time does Mrs. Dudley always have dinner ready?
6. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
7. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
8. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
9. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
10. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Dr. Montague concerned about Eleanor's reaction to the house? Why has Dr. Montague invited her there? Why does Eleanor deny this incident? How does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor will be affected by the house?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)