|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
2. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
3. Who lived in Hill House after Hugh Crain's death?
4. How does Eleanor plan to change her behavior?
5. How does Theo advise Eleanor to dress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
2. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
3. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
4. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
5. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
6. What is significant about Hill House?
7. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
8. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
9. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
10. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dr. Montague? Why is he interested in Hill House? What does Dr. Montague hope to find at Hill House? What will this investigation mean for Dr. Montague's academic future? Why does Dr. Montague hire assistants? Why is Dr. Montague vague about his needs in the letter he sends to prospective assistants? Is Dr. Montague hiding something?
Essay Topic 3
Who built Hill House? For what purpose? What is unusual about the design of Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors close on their own? Why do people get lost in the house? Where does the spiral staircase in the library lead? What is significant about this place?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)