|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
2. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
3. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
4. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
5. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
2. Why does Eleanor leave her room in the middle of the night?
3. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
4. Who is Luke Sanderson?
5. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
6. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
7. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
8. Who are the Dudleys?
9. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
10. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the sound Eleanor hears often at night? Why does Theo not always hear the sound even though the sound comes at one point while they share a room? How do these sounds affect Eleanor? What do these sounds say about Eleanor's relationship to the house? Whose hands was Eleanor holding the night she hears the sounds and believes Theo woke, but did not?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Dr. Montague concerned about Eleanor's reaction to the house? Why has Dr. Montague invited her there? Why does Eleanor deny this incident? How does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor will be affected by the house?
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)