|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
2. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
3. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she reaches the front door?
4. Dr. Montague's doctorate is in __________________.
5. How does Theo introduce herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
2. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
3. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
4. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
5. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
6. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
7. Who is Dr. Montague?
8. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
9. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
10. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 2
What is an unreliable narrator? Is Eleanor an unreliable narrator? How can you tell? What could the author have done differently to make the narrator more reliable? How does the author's choice of narrators impact the overall plot development?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)