|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words come to Eleanor's mind when she sees Hill House?
2. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
3. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
4. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
5. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Montague say about the events of the night?
2. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
3. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
4. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
5. In what room does Mrs. Montague insist on sleeping?
6. At what time does Mrs. Dudley always have dinner ready?
7. What does Eleanor hear as she sits in the parlor?
8. Who is Theodora?
9. When does Mrs. Montague arrive at the house? Why does she come?
10. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Dr. Montague concerned about Eleanor's reaction to the house? Why has Dr. Montague invited her there? Why does Eleanor deny this incident? How does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor will be affected by the house?
Essay Topic 2
What is the sound Eleanor hears often at night? Why does Theo not always hear the sound even though the sound comes at one point while they share a room? How do these sounds affect Eleanor? What do these sounds say about Eleanor's relationship to the house? Whose hands was Eleanor holding the night she hears the sounds and believes Theo woke, but did not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)