|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to pray for Eleanor?
2. What does Eleanor think would infuriate her mother?
3. What guards the entrance to the nursery?
4. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
5. To what does Theo compare this first day at Hill House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
2. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
3. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
4. Who gets lost on their way to breakfast? Why?
5. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
6. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
7. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
8. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
9. Who are the Dudleys?
10. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature of the relationship between Eleanor and Theo? Are they friends? Is there sexual tension between them? Why does this relationship begin to turn sour? Is Theo truly mean to Eleanor, or is this just something Eleanor perceives because of the house?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Eleanor the only one who can hear the small child singing her final night in the house? Why does Eleanor believes she can hear everything that is happening in the house? What impact does this imply about Eleanor? Is this what causes Eleanor to act strange later in the night?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)