|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Theo insist she and Eleanor should dress?
2. What time is dinner served?
3. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
4. How does Eleanor introduce herself?
5. With what does Eleanor deny having experiences?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
2. Who built Hill House?
3. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
4. Who is Theodora?
5. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
6. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
7. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
8. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
9. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
10. Who is Dr. Montague?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Dudleys? Why are they at Hill House? Why does Mr. Dudley try to frighten Eleanor away? Why does it not work? Why does Mrs. Dudley refuse to stay in the house after dark? Why is Mrs. Dudley unfriendly to Dr. Montague and his assistants?
Essay Topic 2
What is an unreliable narrator? Is Eleanor an unreliable narrator? How can you tell? What could the author have done differently to make the narrator more reliable? How does the author's choice of narrators impact the overall plot development?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature between Eleanor and Luke? Does Eleanor like Luke? Why does Eleanor doubt Luke's sincerity when he tells her about his mother? Is Eleanor's perception of Luke affected by the house?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)