|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Dr. Montague and Luke searching for during the manifestation that woke the girls?
2. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she reaches the front door?
3. How does Theo see Eleanor?
4. Who lived in Hill House after Hugh Crain's death?
5. Where is the spiral staircase located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
2. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
3. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
4. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
5. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
6. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
7. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
8. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
9. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
10. What is significant about Hill House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mrs. Montague? Why does she show up at Hill House? What does Mrs. Montague plan to do there? What is significant about Mrs. Montague's treatment of her husband? Of his assistants? What is significant of Mrs. Montague's relationship with Mrs. Dudley?
Essay Topic 2
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is an unreliable narrator? Is Eleanor an unreliable narrator? How can you tell? What could the author have done differently to make the narrator more reliable? How does the author's choice of narrators impact the overall plot development?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)