Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
2. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
3. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
4. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
5. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
2. Why does Eleanor leave her room in the middle of the night?
3. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
4. Who is Luke Sanderson?
5. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
6. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
7. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
8. Who are the Dudleys?
9. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
10. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Theo? Why does Theo accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague invite her? What is significant about Theo's home life? How does this impact the reader's impression of Theo?
Essay Topic 2
What is theme? What are some of the themes of this novel? Describe each in a short sentence, using quotes from the novel to support your argument. How does the theme influence the development of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of the relationship between Eleanor and Theo? Are they friends? Is there sexual tension between them? Why does this relationship begin to turn sour? Is Theo truly mean to Eleanor, or is this just something Eleanor perceives because of the house?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)