|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
2. Who leaves the house at six every night?
3. What surprises Theo about the position of Hill House?
4. With what does Eleanor deny having experiences?
5. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
2. Who gets lost on their way to breakfast? Why?
3. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
4. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
5. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
6. What is significant about Hill House?
7. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
8. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
9. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
10. Who built Hill House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Theo? Why does Theo accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague invite her? What is significant about Theo's home life? How does this impact the reader's impression of Theo?
Essay Topic 2
Who died in Hill House? How? Who inherited the house upon the owner's death? What was the nature of the dispute between these owners? Who inherits the house upon the death of the second owner? What happens to this person? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Eleanor climb the spiral staircase? Is Eleanor attempting to kill herself? Why? Why does Eleanor do this now when she was afraid of the library before? What does this tell the others about Eleanor? Does this have an impact on Dr. Montague's decision to send Eleanor home?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)