Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
2. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
3. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
4. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
5. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
2. Why does Eleanor leave her room in the middle of the night?
3. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
4. Who is Luke Sanderson?
5. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
6. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
7. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
8. Who are the Dudleys?
9. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
10. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
Essay Topic 1
Why is Eleanor the only one who can hear the small child singing her final night in the house? Why does Eleanor believes she can hear everything that is happening in the house? What impact does this imply about Eleanor? Is this what causes Eleanor to act strange later in the night?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
Essay Topic 3
What is theme? What are some of the themes of this novel? Describe each in a short sentence, using quotes from the novel to support your argument. How does the theme influence the development of the novel?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)