|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
2. Where did Dr. Montague hear of Hill House?
3. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
4. What does Dr. Montague claim to be?
5. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
2. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
3. Why is Dr. Montague concerned that everyone is happy?
4. Who is Dr. Montague?
5. Who plans to roam the halls all night? Why?
6. At what time does Mrs. Dudley always have dinner ready?
7. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
8. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
9. What is significant about Hill House?
10. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
Essay Topic 2
What book does Luke find in the library that frightens him? What is the intention of this book? What is significant about the pictures in the book? What is significant about the signature in the book? What does all this say about the person who wrote the book?
Essay Topic 3
Who built Hill House? For what purpose? What is unusual about the design of Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors close on their own? Why do people get lost in the house? Where does the spiral staircase in the library lead? What is significant about this place?
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)