|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Montague claim to be?
2. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
3. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
4. What are some of the theories for the cause of odd events that have taken place in Hill House?
5. What happens when Eleanor opens the curtains over the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
2. Who is Dr. Montague?
3. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
4. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
5. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
6. Who built Hill House?
7. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
8. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
9. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
10. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an unreliable narrator? Is Eleanor an unreliable narrator? How can you tell? What could the author have done differently to make the narrator more reliable? How does the author's choice of narrators impact the overall plot development?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dr. Montague? Why is he interested in Hill House? What does Dr. Montague hope to find at Hill House? What will this investigation mean for Dr. Montague's academic future? Why does Dr. Montague hire assistants? Why is Dr. Montague vague about his needs in the letter he sends to prospective assistants? Is Dr. Montague hiding something?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Dr. Montague concerned about Eleanor's reaction to the house? Why has Dr. Montague invited her there? Why does Eleanor deny this incident? How does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor will be affected by the house?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)