|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Mrs. Dudley offer Eleanor?
2. Who committed suicide in Hill House?
3. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
4. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
5. Who provides directions to Hill House?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
2. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
3. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
4. Who are the Dudleys?
5. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
6. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
7. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
8. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
9. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
10. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dr. Montague? Why is he interested in Hill House? What does Dr. Montague hope to find at Hill House? What will this investigation mean for Dr. Montague's academic future? Why does Dr. Montague hire assistants? Why is Dr. Montague vague about his needs in the letter he sends to prospective assistants? Is Dr. Montague hiding something?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the Dudleys? Why are they at Hill House? Why does Mr. Dudley try to frighten Eleanor away? Why does it not work? Why does Mrs. Dudley refuse to stay in the house after dark? Why is Mrs. Dudley unfriendly to Dr. Montague and his assistants?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Eleanor Vance? Why does Eleanor accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague offer the invitation? What does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor's presence will offer his investigation? What is significant about Eleanor's past? How does this past affect her emotions? How does this past influence Eleanor's future?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)