|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
2. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
3. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
4. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
5. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
2. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
3. Who is Theodora?
4. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
5. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
6. Who is Luke Sanderson?
7. At what time does Mrs. Dudley always have dinner ready?
8. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
9. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
10. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
Essay Topic 2
What is an unreliable narrator? Is Eleanor an unreliable narrator? How can you tell? What could the author have done differently to make the narrator more reliable? How does the author's choice of narrators impact the overall plot development?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dr. Montague, Mrs. Montague, and the others force Eleanor to go home? Is this because they do not like her anymore? Or is this for her protection? Why does Eleanor drive her car into a tree? Is this of Eleanor's own free will, or does it have something to do with the house? What is the significance of the tree Eleanor hits?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)