Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
2. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
3. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
4. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
5. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
2. Why does Eleanor leave her room in the middle of the night?
3. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
4. Who is Luke Sanderson?
5. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
6. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
7. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
8. Who are the Dudleys?
9. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
10. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature between Eleanor and Luke? Does Eleanor like Luke? Why does Eleanor doubt Luke's sincerity when he tells her about his mother? Is Eleanor's perception of Luke affected by the house?
Essay Topic 3
What is theme? What are some of the themes of this novel? Describe each in a short sentence, using quotes from the novel to support your argument. How does the theme influence the development of the novel?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)