Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
2. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
3. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
4. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
5. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
2. Why does Eleanor leave her room in the middle of the night?
3. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
4. Who is Luke Sanderson?
5. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
6. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
7. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
8. Who are the Dudleys?
9. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
10. What do Eleanor and Theo find when they reach the garden?
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature between Eleanor and Luke? Does Eleanor like Luke? Why does Eleanor doubt Luke's sincerity when he tells her about his mother? Is Eleanor's perception of Luke affected by the house?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Eleanor the only one who can hear the small child singing her final night in the house? Why does Eleanor believes she can hear everything that is happening in the house? What impact does this imply about Eleanor? Is this what causes Eleanor to act strange later in the night?
Essay Topic 3
What is the sound Eleanor hears often at night? Why does Theo not always hear the sound even though the sound comes at one point while they share a room? How do these sounds affect Eleanor? What do these sounds say about Eleanor's relationship to the house? Whose hands was Eleanor holding the night she hears the sounds and believes Theo woke, but did not?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)