|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the party get lost on the way to dinner?
2. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
3. What are some of the theories for the cause of odd events that have taken place in Hill House?
4. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
5. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
2. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
3. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
4. Who built Hill House?
5. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
6. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
7. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
8. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
9. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
10. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Theo? Why does Theo accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague invite her? What is significant about Theo's home life? How does this impact the reader's impression of Theo?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dr. Montague? Why is he interested in Hill House? What does Dr. Montague hope to find at Hill House? What will this investigation mean for Dr. Montague's academic future? Why does Dr. Montague hire assistants? Why is Dr. Montague vague about his needs in the letter he sends to prospective assistants? Is Dr. Montague hiding something?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Eleanor Vance? Why does Eleanor accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague offer the invitation? What does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor's presence will offer his investigation? What is significant about Eleanor's past? How does this past affect her emotions? How does this past influence Eleanor's future?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)