|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
2. What color is Eleanor's room?
3. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
4. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
5. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eleanor confess to Theo as they walk the grounds?
2. What do Eleanor and Theo talk about?
3. Who smooths things over with Eleanor's sister so that she can go home?
4. What does Theo confess when they return to the house?
5. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
6. Why is Dr. Montague concerned that everyone is happy?
7. Where does Eleanor go while everyone is searching for her?
8. What does Eleanor do after leaving the library?
9. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
10. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Dr. Montague, Mrs. Montague, and the others force Eleanor to go home? Is this because they do not like her anymore? Or is this for her protection? Why does Eleanor drive her car into a tree? Is this of Eleanor's own free will, or does it have something to do with the house? What is the significance of the tree Eleanor hits?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dr. Montague? Why is he interested in Hill House? What does Dr. Montague hope to find at Hill House? What will this investigation mean for Dr. Montague's academic future? Why does Dr. Montague hire assistants? Why is Dr. Montague vague about his needs in the letter he sends to prospective assistants? Is Dr. Montague hiding something?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Dr. Montague concerned about Eleanor's reaction to the house? Why has Dr. Montague invited her there? Why does Eleanor deny this incident? How does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor will be affected by the house?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)