Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
2. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
3. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
4. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
5. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
2. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
3. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
4. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
5. What warning does Dr. Montague address directly to Eleanor?
6. What does Eleanor hear as she walks the grounds of Hill House?
7. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
8. Who is Dr. Montague?
9. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
10. Where does Theo spend the following night?
What is theme? What are some of the themes of this novel? Describe each in a short sentence, using quotes from the novel to support your argument. How does the theme influence the development of the novel?
Who built Hill House? For what purpose? What is unusual about the design of Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors close on their own? Why do people get lost in the house? Where does the spiral staircase in the library lead? What is significant about this place?
What is the nature between Eleanor and Luke? Does Eleanor like Luke? Why does Eleanor doubt Luke's sincerity when he tells her about his mother? Is Eleanor's perception of Luke affected by the house?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)