|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
2. What happened at Eleanor's house when she was twelve?
3. Why does the party get lost on the way to dinner?
4. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
5. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
2. What does Eleanor say out loud after the crash sounds through the room?
3. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
4. Who wants to move in with Theo after the summer. What does Theo say to this?
5. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
6. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
7. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
8. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
9. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
10. Where does Eleanor go while everyone is searching for her?
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Dudleys? Why are they at Hill House? Why does Mr. Dudley try to frighten Eleanor away? Why does it not work? Why does Mrs. Dudley refuse to stay in the house after dark? Why is Mrs. Dudley unfriendly to Dr. Montague and his assistants?
Essay Topic 2
What is the nature between Eleanor and Luke? Does Eleanor like Luke? Why does Eleanor doubt Luke's sincerity when he tells her about his mother? Is Eleanor's perception of Luke affected by the house?
Essay Topic 3
Who built Hill House? For what purpose? What is unusual about the design of Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors close on their own? Why do people get lost in the house? Where does the spiral staircase in the library lead? What is significant about this place?
This section contains 1,488 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)