|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
2. What guards the entrance to the nursery?
3. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke?
4. What time is dinner served?
5. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
2. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
3. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
4. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
5. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
6. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
7. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
8. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
9. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
10. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Dudleys? Why are they at Hill House? Why does Mr. Dudley try to frighten Eleanor away? Why does it not work? Why does Mrs. Dudley refuse to stay in the house after dark? Why is Mrs. Dudley unfriendly to Dr. Montague and his assistants?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Eleanor climb the spiral staircase? Is Eleanor attempting to kill herself? Why? Why does Eleanor do this now when she was afraid of the library before? What does this tell the others about Eleanor? Does this have an impact on Dr. Montague's decision to send Eleanor home?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Theo? Why does Theo accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague invite her? What is significant about Theo's home life? How does this impact the reader's impression of Theo?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)