|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
2. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
3. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
4. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
5. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she reaches the front door?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
2. Who is Luke Sanderson?
3. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
4. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
5. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
6. Who is Dr. Montague?
7. What is significant about Hill House?
8. At what time does Mrs. Dudley always have dinner ready?
9. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
10. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Montague? Why does she show up at Hill House? What does Mrs. Montague plan to do there? What is significant about Mrs. Montague's treatment of her husband? Of his assistants? What is significant of Mrs. Montague's relationship with Mrs. Dudley?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)