|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
2. Where is the spiral staircase located?
3. To what does Theo compare this first day at Hill House?
4. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
5. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
2. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
3. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
4. Who is Luke Sanderson?
5. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
6. Who are the Dudleys?
7. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
8. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
9. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
10. Who built Hill House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the sound Eleanor hears often at night? Why does Theo not always hear the sound even though the sound comes at one point while they share a room? How do these sounds affect Eleanor? What do these sounds say about Eleanor's relationship to the house? Whose hands was Eleanor holding the night she hears the sounds and believes Theo woke, but did not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Montague? Why does she show up at Hill House? What does Mrs. Montague plan to do there? What is significant about Mrs. Montague's treatment of her husband? Of his assistants? What is significant of Mrs. Montague's relationship with Mrs. Dudley?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)