|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
2. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
3. How does Theo advise Eleanor to dress?
4. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
5. Why do the girls get lost on the way to the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
2. Who is Theodora?
3. Who gets lost on their way to breakfast? Why?
4. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
5. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
6. Who built Hill House?
7. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
8. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
9. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
10. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 2
What is theme? What are some of the themes of this novel? Describe each in a short sentence, using quotes from the novel to support your argument. How does the theme influence the development of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Luke Sanderson? Why is he invited to Dr. Montague's investigation of Hill House? What is Luke's reputation? Is this reputation accurate to Luke's personality? Who is responsible for the perpetuation of this reputation? Why?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)