|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the spiral staircase lead?
2. What color is Eleanor's room?
3. Who committed suicide in Hill House?
4. What emotion does Theo detect in Eleanor?
5. Where did Dr. Montague hear of Hill House?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Luke Sanderson?
2. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
3. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
4. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
5. Who are the Dudleys?
6. Who built Hill House?
7. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
8. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
9. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
10. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Eleanor Vance? Why does Eleanor accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague offer the invitation? What does Dr. Montague expect Eleanor's presence will offer his investigation? What is significant about Eleanor's past? How does this past affect her emotions? How does this past influence Eleanor's future?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Dr. Montague, Mrs. Montague, and the others force Eleanor to go home? Is this because they do not like her anymore? Or is this for her protection? Why does Eleanor drive her car into a tree? Is this of Eleanor's own free will, or does it have something to do with the house? What is the significance of the tree Eleanor hits?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Eleanor climb the spiral staircase? Is Eleanor attempting to kill herself? Why? Why does Eleanor do this now when she was afraid of the library before? What does this tell the others about Eleanor? Does this have an impact on Dr. Montague's decision to send Eleanor home?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)