|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
2. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
3. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
4. Who provides directions to Hill House?
5. What color is Eleanor's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
2. Who gets lost on their way to breakfast? Why?
3. Who is Theodora?
4. Who is Luke Sanderson?
5. What is significant about Hill House?
6. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
7. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
8. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
9. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
10. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who built Hill House? For what purpose? What is unusual about the design of Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors close on their own? Why do people get lost in the house? Where does the spiral staircase in the library lead? What is significant about this place?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mrs. Montague? Why does she show up at Hill House? What does Mrs. Montague plan to do there? What is significant about Mrs. Montague's treatment of her husband? Of his assistants? What is significant of Mrs. Montague's relationship with Mrs. Dudley?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)