|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to pray for Eleanor?
2. How does Theo see Eleanor?
3. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
4. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
5. What is odd about the drawing room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
2. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
3. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
4. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
5. Who is Theodora?
6. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
7. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
8. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
9. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
10. Who are the Dudleys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What book does Luke find in the library that frightens him? What is the intention of this book? What is significant about the pictures in the book? What is significant about the signature in the book? What does all this say about the person who wrote the book?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Theo? Why does Theo accept Dr. Montague's invitation to Hill House? Why does Dr. Montague invite her? What is significant about Theo's home life? How does this impact the reader's impression of Theo?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)