|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the spiral staircase lead?
2. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
3. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
4. Who did Eleanor care for for eleven years?
5. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Dudleys?
2. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
3. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
4. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
5. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
6. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
7. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
8. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
9. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
10. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Eleanor the only one who can smell dirt in the library? What does this smell signify? Why is Eleanor afraid to go into the library? What happened in the library that could result in Eleanor's fear?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the Sandersons? How did they come to own Hill House? Why do they not live in the house? Who has lived in the house over the past several years? What happened to those people?
Essay Topic 3
What is the nature of the relationship between Eleanor and Theo? Are they friends? Is there sexual tension between them? Why does this relationship begin to turn sour? Is Theo truly mean to Eleanor, or is this just something Eleanor perceives because of the house?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)