|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
(a) A house with oleander bushes along the driveway
(b) A mansion in Hillsdale
(c) Hill House
(d) A house with stone lions outside
2. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
(b) A crashing sound.
(c) A child crying.
(d) A dog barking.
3. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she reaches the front door?
(a) Journeys end with lovers meeting.
(b) Journeys begin with lover meeting.
(c) Journeys end at the iron knocker.
(d) Journeys begin at the front door.
4. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
(a) A cup of moons
(b) A cup of stars
(c) A cup with bears on it
(d) A pink cup
5. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
(a) Eleanor finds him to be unfriendly.
(b) Eleanor finds him to be rude.
(c) Eleanor finds his flirting flattering.
(d) Eleanor finds his flirting silly.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Eleanor deny having experiences?
2. What surprises Theo about the position of Hill House?
3. How does Theo react to Luke?
4. Where did Dr. Montague hear of Hill House?
5. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
2. Where does Eleanor go when Theo teases her?
3. What is Mrs. Montague's opinion of Dr. Montague's research thus far?
4. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
5. In what room does Mrs. Montague insist on sleeping?
6. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
7. Who built Hill House?
8. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
9. Who wants to move in with Theo after the summer. What does Theo say to this?
10. Who plans to roam the halls all night? Why?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)