|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
(a) A green house
(b) A flourishing garden
(c) A babbling brook
(d) A garage full of fancy cars
2. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
(a) Study of supernatural manifestations
(c) Study of anthropology
3. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
(a) A house with oleander bushes along the driveway
(b) A house with stone lions outside
(c) A mansion in Hillsdale
(d) Hill House
4. What is Eleanor's impression of the waitress at the diner in Hillsdale?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She is open and eager to talk about Hill House.
(c) She is a threat to Eleanor's hopes of finding a boyfriend.
(d) She is unfriendly, especially when Hill House is mentioned.
5. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
(b) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
(c) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(d) Write a fictional book about the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
2. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
3. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
4. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
5. What happens when Eleanor opens the curtains over the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
2. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
3. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
4. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
5. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
6. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
7. At what time does Mrs. Dudley always have dinner ready?
8. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
9. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
10. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)