|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What guards the entrance to the nursery?
(a) A poltergeist.
(b) A set of armor.
(c) A cold spot.
(d) A teddy bear.
2. What does the aunt say about Luke?
(a) He is kind and generous.
(b) He is handy with tools.
(c) He is dishonest and unreliable.
(d) He is a drunk.
3. Why does Eleanor refuse to leave Hill House before going inside?
(a) She does not want Mr. Dudley to laugh at her.
(b) She does not want to return to her sister's house.
(c) She does not want to miss out on an adventure.
(d) She does not want to disappoint Dr. Montague.
4. Who was accused of breaking into the house at night and stealing things?
(a) The older sister.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) The younger Crain sister.
(d) The young companion.
5. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
(a) An evil spirit
(b) A closet full of skeletons
(c) Secret passageways filled with treasure
(d) A basement full of rats
Short Answer Questions
1. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
2. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
3. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
4. What emotion does Theo detect in Eleanor?
5. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
2. At what time does Mrs. Dudley always have dinner ready?
3. Who is Luke Sanderson?
4. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
5. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
6. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
7. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
8. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
9. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
10. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)