|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
(a) To ask about Dr. Montague
(b) To prolong her journey
(c) To ask questions about Hill House
(d) To ask about the local night life
2. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
(a) Daydreams of a better life
(b) Sings along to the radio
(c) Imagines life at Hill House
(d) Talks to her dead mother
3. Why do the girls get lost on the way to the kitchen?
(a) Mrs. Dudley closed the doors.
(b) They do not know the house well enough.
(c) All the doors have swung shut again.
(d) Mrs. Dudley shut off all the lights.
4. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
(a) To keep the house safe.
(b) To find him a wife.
(c) To keep him out of trouble.
(d) To keep an eye on Dr. Montague.
5. What words come to Eleanor's mind when she sees Hill House?
(a) Ugly and old
(b) Large and attractive
(c) Vile and diseased
(d) Happy and decorative
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lived in Hill House after Hugh Crain's death?
2. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
3. How does Theo introduce herself?
4. What emotion does Theo detect in Eleanor?
5. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Eleanor eavesdrop on to see if they are speaking about her?
2. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
3. Who is Luke Sanderson?
4. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
5. Who teases Eleanor about her relationship with Luke?
6. Who plans to roam the halls all night? Why?
7. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
8. Who accuses Eleanor of writing the message? Why?
9. What is significant about Hill House?
10. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)