|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
(a) Because a ghost is pushing them closed.
(b) Because every angle in the house is irregular.
(c) Because the doors were hung improperly.
(d) Because the architect was inferior, causing many irregularties in the house's structure.
2. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
(b) His car drove off a cliff.
(c) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
(d) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
3. What words come to Eleanor's mind when she sees Hill House?
(a) Vile and diseased
(b) Large and attractive
(c) Ugly and old
(d) Happy and decorative
4. What color is Theo's room?
5. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
(a) To never stay overnight
(b) To stay away
(c) To take a gun when visiting
(d) To only go there with a psychic
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was accused of breaking into the house at night and stealing things?
2. What does the aunt say about Luke?
3. Why do the girls get lost on the way to the kitchen?
4. Why does the party get lost on the way to dinner?
5. Where is the spiral staircase located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
2. What room is guarded by a cold spot?
3. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
4. Who is Luke Sanderson?
5. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
6. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
7. Who is the first person Eleanor meets at Hill House?
8. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
9. Who is Dr. Montague?
10. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)