|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
(a) Eleanor lived in a haunted house as a child.
(b) Eleanor is psychic.
(c) Eleanor had an experience with a poltergeist as a child.
(d) Eleanor owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
2. How does Theo react to Luke?
(a) Theo responds to his flirting.
(b) Theo brushes Luke off.
(c) Theo tell Luke not to waste his time, she is taken.
(d) Theo teases Luke.
3. What are some of the theories for the cause of odd events that have taken place in Hill House?
(a) Someone's bad sense of humor
(b) Ghosts, evil spirits, spirits from an Indian burial site
(c) Santanic rituals
(d) Sun spots, atmospheric pressure, polluted air, earth tremors
4. What does Dr. Montague claim to be?
(a) A pilgrim and a wanderer
(b) A student of phenomenon
(c) A scientist and a realist
(d) A philosopher and a gentleman
5. Who greets the women when they return to the house?
(c) Dr. Montague
(d) Mrs. Dudley
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
2. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
3. Why does Theo make jokes with Eleanor?
4. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she reaches the front door?
5. What color is Theo's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
2. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
3. Who is Theodora?
4. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
5. Who is Luke Sanderson?
6. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
7. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
8. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
9. What is significant about Hill House?
10. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke Sanderson?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)