|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
(a) Her carriage overturned while making a turn in the driveway at Hill House.
(b) She had a heart attack the first time she saw Hill House.
(c) She fell from the tower at Hill House.
(d) She died of tuberculosis.
2. With whom does Eleanor live ?
(a) Her sister
(b) Her father
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her mother
3. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
(a) Journeys end in lovers meeting.
(b) I want to believe.
(c) I'm coming, Mother.
(d) I'll leave.
4. What does Dr. Montague claim to be?
(a) A student of phenomenon
(b) A philosopher and a gentleman
(c) A scientist and a realist
(d) A pilgrim and a wanderer
5. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
(a) Mr. Dudley
(b) Dr. Montague
(c) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Luke Sanderson
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
2. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
3. What is significant about Theo's calling the shadow a rabbit?
4. How does Theo see Eleanor?
5. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dr. Montague?
2. Who gets lost on their way to breakfast? Why?
3. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
4. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
5. Who is Eleanor Vance? Why is she chosen for Dr. Montague's project?
6. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
7. Who built Hill House?
8. What is significant about Hill House?
9. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
10. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)