|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
(a) Mr. Dudley
(b) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Dr. Montague
(d) Luke Sanderson
2. What surprises Theo about the position of Hill House?
(a) That it is so far from town.
(b) That it is on top of the hills, rather than protected in the middle of them.
(c) That it is between the hills rather than on top.
(d) That it is set so far back from the main gate.
3. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
(a) A cold spot outside the door.
(b) A dark shadow below the staircase.
(c) A moldy, earth smell.
(d) A picture of Hugh Crain.
4. When does Dr. Montague suggest Eleanor should leave the house?
(a) If she feels the house latching onto her.
(b) If she begins to feel uneasy.
(c) If she is frightened.
(d) If trouble begins to take place.
5. With whom does Eleanor live ?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her father
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her sister
Short Answer Questions
1. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
2. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
3. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
4. Where does the spiral staircase lead?
5. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Dudleys?
2. Who is Luke Sanderson?
3. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
4. At what time does Mrs. Dudley always have dinner ready?
5. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
6. What is significant about Hill House?
7. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
8. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
9. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
10. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)