|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
(b) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
(c) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
(d) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
2. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
(a) Theo says Eleanor does not spend enough time caring for herself.
(b) Theo accuses Eleanor of stealing silverware from the kitchen.
(c) Theo accuses Eleanor of being an old maid.
(d) Theo accuses Eleanor of being boring.
3. Who lived in Hill House after Hugh Crain's death?
(a) His widow and her new husband
(b) His eldest daughter and a young companion
(c) His youngest daughter and her husband
(d) His son and his family
4. What happens when Eleanor opens the curtains over the window?
(a) Nothing, the windows are too thick to allow light in.
(b) Nothing, the windows are boarded up.
(c) Eleanor sees someone staring in.
(d) A bird flies inside.
5. What does the aunt say about Luke?
(a) He is dishonest and unreliable.
(b) He is a drunk.
(c) He is kind and generous.
(d) He is handy with tools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Theo and Eleanor think will disappoint Mrs. Dudley?
2. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
3. When does Dr. Montague suggest Eleanor should leave the house?
4. Who opens the door?
5. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
Short Essay Questions
1. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
2. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
3. Who is Dr. Montague?
4. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
5. Who built Hill House?
6. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
7. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
8. What does Dr. Montague plan to do with the information he gains from his and his assistants' experiences at Hill House?
9. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
10. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)