|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What warning does Mrs. Dudley offer Eleanor?
(a) That the house is haunted.
(b) That Dr. Montague is insane.
(c) That there is a killer loose in Hillsdale.
(d) That no one will come if she needs help at night.
2. What are some of the theories for the cause of odd events that have taken place in Hill House?
(a) Sun spots, atmospheric pressure, polluted air, earth tremors
(b) Santanic rituals
(c) Ghosts, evil spirits, spirits from an Indian burial site
(d) Someone's bad sense of humor
3. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
(a) A cup of stars
(b) A pink cup
(c) A cup of moons
(d) A cup with bears on it
4. What is Eleanor forced to steal when she leaves home?
(a) A car she co-owns with her sister
(b) A wardrobe of clothes
(c) An expensive suitcase
(d) A credit card to pay for gas
5. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
(a) A house with oleander bushes along the driveway
(b) A house with stone lions outside
(c) Hill House
(d) A mansion in Hillsdale
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the spiral staircase lead?
2. What were Dr. Montague and Luke searching for during the manifestation that woke the girls?
3. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
4. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
5. What is significant about Theo's calling the shadow a rabbit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the interior of Hill House designed?
2. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
3. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
4. What do Theo and Eleanor see as they turn to go back to Hill House?
5. Who is Dr. Montague?
6. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
7. Who are the Dudleys?
8. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
9. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
10. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)