|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
2. How does Eleanor plan to change her behavior?
(a) Eleanor plans to be more helpful.
(b) Eleanor plans to be more open.
(c) Eleanor plans to act more reserved.
(d) Eleanor plans to be more friendly.
3. What is odd about the drawing room?
(a) The huge portrait of Crain.
(b) The tree growing through its center.
(c) The odd paintings throughout the room.
(d) The huge baroque style statue.
4. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
(a) Eleanor is happy to just be out of her sister's house.
(b) Eleanor is paralyzed with fear.
(c) Eleanor is enthusiastic about the investigation.
(d) Eleanor is blissfully unaware of the evil around her.
5. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new jacket
(b) A new sweater and matching sandals
(c) A new hairbrush
(d) A new suitcase
Short Answer Questions
1. Who committed suicide in Hill House?
2. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
3. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
4. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
5. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
2. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
3. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
4. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
5. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
6. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
7. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
8. What is Eleanor's first impression of the house?
9. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
10. What does Dr. Montague say he expects of his assistants during the summer?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)