|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion does Theo detect in Eleanor?
2. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
(a) She is a professional ghost hunter.
(b) She is psychic.
(c) She is his wife.
(d) She is pretty.
3. Where is the spiral staircase located?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the game room.
(c) In the study.
(d) In the kitchen.
4. What warning does Mrs. Dudley offer Eleanor?
(a) That there is a killer loose in Hillsdale.
(b) That no one will come if she needs help at night.
(c) That Dr. Montague is insane.
(d) That the house is haunted.
5. What is odd about the drawing room?
(a) The huge baroque style statue.
(b) The tree growing through its center.
(c) The huge portrait of Crain.
(d) The odd paintings throughout the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
2. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
3. To what does Theo compare this first day at Hill House?
4. How does Eleanor introduce herself?
5. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
2. Why does Eleanor get annoyed with her new friends?
3. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
4. What surprises Eleanor the next morning?
5. From whom did Dr. Montague hear about Hill House?
6. Who gets lost on their way to breakfast? Why?
7. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she walks up to the front door the first time?
8. What does Mrs. Dudley insist she will never do?
9. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
10. What is significant about Hill House?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)