|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who opens the door?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Dr. Montague
2. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
(a) A basement full of rats
(b) An evil spirit
(c) Secret passageways filled with treasure
(d) A closet full of skeletons
3. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
(a) To prolong her journey
(b) To ask about the local night life
(c) To ask questions about Hill House
(d) To ask about Dr. Montague
4. Who leaves the house at six every night?
(b) Mrs. Dudley
5. How does Luke introduce himself?
(a) As a bullfighter
(b) As a lawyer
(c) As the nephew of the house's owner
(d) As a specialist in psychic phenomenon
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
2. Who greets the women when they return to the house?
3. Why does Eleanor refuse to leave Hill House before going inside?
4. What color is Theo's room?
5. How does Theo react to Luke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eleanor steal her car from her sister?
2. At what time does Mrs. Dudley always have dinner ready?
3. Why does everyone claim to be someone different than they are as they make introductions?
4. What does Theo encourage Eleanor to do more?
5. Why do Dr. Montague and his assistants have trouble finding the dining room?
6. How does Luke act when he meets Eleanor and Theo?
7. What did Eleanor purchase specifically for this trip to Hill House?
8. What is significant about Hill House?
9. What is unusual about the design of Hill House overall?
10. Where do Eleanor and Theo go after Theo unpacks?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)