|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose call did Eleanor not heed the night of his/her death?
(a) Her father's
(b) Her mother's
(c) Her sister's
(d) Her neice's
2. What is significant about the signature in the book Luke found?
(a) It is the signiture of a famous ghost hunter.
(b) It is written in invisible ink.
(c) It is written in blood.
(d) It is a fake.
3. What upsets the group about the illustrations in the book Luke found?
(a) The illustrations are badly done.
(b) The illustrations are inappropriate to the material they represent.
(c) The illustrations are graphic and violent.
(d) The illustrations are too childish.
4. Where do Luke and Eleanor go to spend an afternoon alone in chapter 6?
(a) The basement
(b) The garden
(c) The tower
(d) The summer house
5. How does Eleanor react to Theo's teasing?
(a) She ignores Theo.
(b) She teases back.
(c) She laughs and walks away.
(d) She becomes angry.
6. What impedes their investigation of the cold spot?
(a) Mrs. Dudley.
(b) The extreme temperature.
(c) The door keeps closing.
(d) A ghost.
7. What does Dr. Montague believe has caused these feelings?
(a) The house.
(b) A poltergeist.
(c) Their experiences during the night.
(d) A drug Mrs. Dudley put in their food.
8. Who insists on sleeping in the nursery?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
(b) Eleanor's sister
(c) Mrs. Montague
(d) Theo's girlfriend
9. Who does Eleanor decide she will not allow to go out of her life?
(c) Dr. Montague
10. What does Theo confess she did while going back to Hill House?
(b) Closing her eyes.
(c) Taking pictures.
(d) Looking behind her.
11. Who is Arthur?
(a) Eleanor's cousin
(b) Mrs. Montague's assistant
(c) Mrs. Dudley's cousin
(d) Theo's nephew
12. What does Eleanor want to do to Theo when she sees her wearing her new red sweater?
(a) Bash her with rocks and sticks.
(b) Hug her and apologize for her trying day.
(c) Compliment her, even though she does not look as good as Eleanor did.
(d) Rip the sweater away.
13. Who refuses to allow the group to linger over their breakfast?
(c) Mrs. Montague.
(d) Mrs. Dudley.
14. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
(a) Running water.
(b) A knocking sound and laughter.
(c) A child crying.
(d) A dog barking.
15. Who insists on moving in with Theo when the summer is over?
(b) Dr. Montague
Short Answer Questions
1. For whose death does Eleanor believe she is responsible?
2. Who takes Eleanor to get dressed?
3. Who suggests a walk to the brook?
4. Where do Dr. Montague and his assistants spend the night?
5. What do Eleanor and Theo see while walking on the property after dark?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)