|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Eleanor and Theo see while walking on the property after dark?
(a) A shadow that looks like a rabbit.
(b) Dr. Montague setting a tape recorder in the garage.
(c) Luke stealing kisses from Mrs. Dudley.
(d) Children playing and picnicking in the garden.
2. Why does Eleanor say she is not frightened by the state of Theo's room?
(a) Eleanor does not believe a ghost did these things.
(b) Eleanor is getting used to Theo blaming her for things.
(c) Eleanor has gotten used to the strangness of Hill House.
(d) Eleanor is more concerned for Theo than herself.
3. What does Luke find in the library in Chapter 6?
(a) A photo album of the Crain family.
(b) A book on the history of Hillsdale.
(c) A handmade scrapbook.
(d) A fictional book written by Hugh Crain.
4. What is a planchette?
(a) A device similar to a Ouija board that uses a pencil to write out messages from the other side.
(b) A device similar to a themometer.
(c) A device that measures barometric changes within a house.
(d) A device that uses weights to measure breezes.
5. Who follows Eleanor?
(c) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Dr. Montague
6. How is Eleanor's mood in Chapter 7?
(a) Eleanor is angry.
(b) Eleanor is excited.
(c) Eleanor is sad.
(d) Eleanor is happy.
7. What upsets the group about the illustrations in the book Luke found?
(a) The illustrations are graphic and violent.
(b) The illustrations are badly done.
(c) The illustrations are inappropriate to the material they represent.
(d) The illustrations are too childish.
8. Where do Dr. Montague and his assistants spend the night?
(a) In Dr. Montague's room.
(b) In the library.
(c) In Eleanor's room.
(d) In the study.
9. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
(a) Someone has burned Theo's clothes and written words on the wall.
(b) Someone has stolen all of Theo's clothes and written words on the wall.
(c) Someone has cut Theo's clothes to shreds and written words on the wall.
(d) Someone has splattered red paint on Theo's clothes and written words on the wall.
10. What does Theo tease Eleanor about in Chapter 6?
(a) Her distaste toward the book Luke found.
(b) Her budding relationship with Luke.
(c) Her reserved behavior.
(d) Her unattractive wardrobe.
11. What does Luke find?
(a) Words written about Eleanor on the wall.
(b) Words warning Luke on the wall.
(c) Words written about Theo on the wall.
(d) Words written about Dr. Montague on the wall.
12. Who treats Luke like a servant?
(a) Mrs. Montague
(b) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Dr. Montague
13. What does Eleanor hear while walking alone by the brook?
(a) Luke and Theo's thoughts.
(b) A voice in her mind.
(c) A child laughting.
(d) A child singing.
14. What does Eleanor expect to feel under her feet as she goes back to Hill House?
(a) A tape recorder.
(b) Picnic blankets and baskets.
(c) Children's toys.
(d) A camera.
15. Who mocks Eleanor about Journeys ending in lovers meeting?
(b) Dr. Montague
Short Answer Questions
1. What character flaw does Luke tell Eleanor he suffers?
2. What does Theo advice Eleanor to do?
3. Who insists on moving in with Theo when the summer is over?
4. Who believes ghosts only want to be loved?
5. Who takes Eleanor to get dressed?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)