|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the three young people discover while walking on the grounds?
(a) A carriage house.
(b) A greenhouse.
(c) A summer house.
(d) A bubbling brook.
2. What does Dr. Montague believe has caused these feelings?
(a) A drug Mrs. Dudley put in their food.
(b) A poltergeist.
(c) The house.
(d) Their experiences during the night.
3. What impedes their investigation of the cold spot?
(a) Mrs. Dudley.
(b) A ghost.
(c) The door keeps closing.
(d) The extreme temperature.
4. Who belittles Dr. Montague's investigation?
(a) Eleanor's sister
(b) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Mrs. Montague
(d) Theo's girlfriend
5. What does Eleanor expect to feel under her feet as she goes back to Hill House?
(a) A camera.
(b) Picnic blankets and baskets.
(c) A tape recorder.
(d) Children's toys.
6. What does Eleanor hear while walking alone by the brook?
(a) A voice in her mind.
(b) Luke and Theo's thoughts.
(c) A child laughting.
(d) A child singing.
7. What do Eleanor and Theo see while walking on the property after dark?
(a) A shadow that looks like a rabbit.
(b) Children playing and picnicking in the garden.
(c) Dr. Montague setting a tape recorder in the garage.
(d) Luke stealing kisses from Mrs. Dudley.
8. What does Eleanor come to believe she can hear?
(b) Everything those around her think.
(c) Everything in the house.
9. Who treats Luke like a servant?
(a) Dr. Montague
(c) Mrs. Montague
(d) Mrs. Dudley
10. Who suggests a walk to the brook?
11. What is Eleanor surprised to see when she wakes?
(a) That the attic has not fallen in.
(b) That there is no damage from the fallen tower.
(c) That the garage is still attached to the house.
(d) That the house is still whole and standing.
12. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of doing?
(a) Writing the words herself.
(b) Paying Luke to write the words to frighten everyone.
(c) Erasing the words before they could document them.
(d) Trying to draw attention to herself by becoming hysterical at the sight of the words.
13. Where does Luke go alone after breakfast?
(a) To take a walk on the grounds.
(b) To town for supplies.
(c) To ask Mrs. Dudley for another pot of coffee.
(d) To investigate the cold spot a little more.
14. Who refuses to allow the group to linger over their breakfast?
(c) Mrs. Dudley.
(d) Mrs. Montague.
15. What does Luke find?
(a) Words written about Eleanor on the wall.
(b) Words written about Theo on the wall.
(c) Words warning Luke on the wall.
(d) Words written about Dr. Montague on the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor want to do to Theo when she sees her wearing her new red sweater?
2. Who believes ghosts only want to be loved?
3. Whose call did Eleanor not heed the night of his/her death?
4. How do Eleanor and the others feel when they wake up?
5. Why do Dr. Montague and Luke believe Theo accuses Eleanor?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)