|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eleanor say she is not frightened by the state of Theo's room?
(a) Eleanor is getting used to Theo blaming her for things.
(b) Eleanor does not believe a ghost did these things.
(c) Eleanor is more concerned for Theo than herself.
(d) Eleanor has gotten used to the strangness of Hill House.
2. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
(a) Someone has cut Theo's clothes to shreds and written words on the wall.
(b) Someone has stolen all of Theo's clothes and written words on the wall.
(c) Someone has splattered red paint on Theo's clothes and written words on the wall.
(d) Someone has burned Theo's clothes and written words on the wall.
3. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
(a) A knocking sound and laughter.
(b) Running water.
(c) A dog barking.
(d) A child crying.
4. What do the words on Theo's wall say?
(a) Eleanor did it.
(b) Eleanor is evil.
(c) Help Eleanor Come Home Eleanor
(d) Leave Eleanor alone.
5. What does Eleanor think of Luke's confession?
(a) That it is silly and obviously a come-on.
(b) That it is sad.
(c) That it is unbelievable, but touching just the same.
(d) That it is outrageous.
6. What can Dr. Montague not do with the cold spot that he desperately wants to do?
(a) Remove the cold spot.
(b) Measure it.
(c) Explain it scientifically.
(d) Get an accurate temperature reading of the cold spot.
7. What does Dr. Montague say can be destructive and lacks a will of its own?
8. Why do Dr. Montague and Luke believe Theo accuses Eleanor?
(a) Because she really believes it.
(b) Because she hates Eleanor.
(c) To distract her while they slip her a calming drug.
(d) To take her focus away from her fear.
9. Who refuses to allow the group to linger over their breakfast?
(a) Mrs. Montague.
(d) Mrs. Dudley.
10. What is Eleanor surprised to see when she wakes?
(a) That the house is still whole and standing.
(b) That there is no damage from the fallen tower.
(c) That the garage is still attached to the house.
(d) That the attic has not fallen in.
11. Who follows Eleanor?
(b) Dr. Montague
(c) Mrs. Dudley
12. What nickname does Theo use with Eleanor?
13. What do Eleanor and Theo see while walking on the property after dark?
(a) A shadow that looks like a rabbit.
(b) Dr. Montague setting a tape recorder in the garage.
(c) Luke stealing kisses from Mrs. Dudley.
(d) Children playing and picnicking in the garden.
14. What character flaw does Luke tell Eleanor he suffers?
(a) Selfishness and immaturity.
(b) Selfishness and conceit.
(c) Conceit and narcisism.
(d) Cowardess and weakness of character.
15. How is Eleanor's mood in Chapter 7?
(a) Eleanor is excited.
(b) Eleanor is happy.
(c) Eleanor is sad.
(d) Eleanor is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insists on moving in with Theo when the summer is over?
2. What does Eleanor say as she wakes?
3. What does Theo tease Eleanor about in Chapter 6?
4. Who belittles Dr. Montague's investigation?
5. What does Eleanor come to believe she can hear?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)