|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of doing?
(a) Trying to draw attention to herself by becoming hysterical at the sight of the words.
(b) Writing the words herself.
(c) Erasing the words before they could document them.
(d) Paying Luke to write the words to frighten everyone.
2. Who is Arthur?
(a) Eleanor's cousin
(b) Mrs. Montague's assistant
(c) Mrs. Dudley's cousin
(d) Theo's nephew
3. What are the lessons illustrated in the book Luke found?
(a) How to live a pious and virtuous life.
(b) How to live a millionaire's life.
(c) How to survive Hill House.
(d) How to marry a millionaire.
4. Who arrives at Hill House in Chapter 7?
(a) Mrs. Montague
(b) Eleanor's sister
(c) Theo's girlfriend
(d) Mrs. Dudley
5. Why do Dr. Montague and Luke believe Theo accuses Eleanor?
(a) To take her focus away from her fear.
(b) Because she hates Eleanor.
(c) Because she really believes it.
(d) To distract her while they slip her a calming drug.
6. Where does Eleanor go after her conversation with Theo?
(a) To her room.
(b) To the library.
(c) To the kitchen for a snack.
(d) For a walk in the dark.
7. What does Eleanor come to believe has fallen?
(a) The tower.
(b) The attic.
(c) The garage.
(d) The house.
8. What does Luke find in the library in Chapter 6?
(a) A handmade scrapbook.
(b) A book on the history of Hillsdale.
(c) A photo album of the Crain family.
(d) A fictional book written by Hugh Crain.
9. What does Eleanor come to believe she can hear?
(b) Everything those around her think.
(c) Everything in the house.
10. What is significant about the signature in the book Luke found?
(a) It is written in invisible ink.
(b) It is written in blood.
(c) It is a fake.
(d) It is the signiture of a famous ghost hunter.
11. Who looks forward to owning Hill House?
(b) Mrs. Montague
(d) Dr. Montague
12. Where does Arthur plan to spend the night?
(a) In Dr. Montague's room.
(b) Patroling the corridor outside the nursery.
(c) In the library.
(d) In the nursery.
13. Who does Dr. Montague announce will arrive the following Saturday?
(a) A fellow academic.
(b) Luke's aunt.
(c) A famous poltergeist researcher.
(d) Mrs. Montague.
14. What can Dr. Montague not do with the cold spot that he desperately wants to do?
(a) Measure it.
(b) Get an accurate temperature reading of the cold spot.
(c) Explain it scientifically.
(d) Remove the cold spot.
15. What does Dr. Montague believe has caused these feelings?
(a) A drug Mrs. Dudley put in their food.
(b) Their experiences during the night.
(c) The house.
(d) A poltergeist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Montague say can be destructive and lacks a will of its own?
2. Who takes charge when Theo becomes hysterical over the state of her room?
3. What is Theo's response to this request.
4. What does Theo advice Eleanor to do?
5. Who insists on moving in with Theo when the summer is over?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)