|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stands at the door when the sound begins, trying to establish from which direction the sound is coming?
(b) Dr. Montague
2. Who does Eleanor decide she will not allow to go out of her life?
(a) Dr. Montague
3. What does Luke tell Eleanor about his mother?
(a) Luke says his mother abused him as a child.
(b) Luke says his mother abandoned him as a child.
(c) Luke says he dislikes his mother.
(d) Luke says he never had a mother.
4. What is a planchette?
(a) A device similar to a themometer.
(b) A device that uses weights to measure breezes.
(c) A device similar to a Ouija board that uses a pencil to write out messages from the other side.
(d) A device that measures barometric changes within a house.
5. What does Eleanor say as she wakes?
(a) I'll come.
(b) I love you.
(c) I wish I could.
(d) I don't want to.
6. Who mocks Eleanor about Journeys ending in lovers meeting?
(b) Dr. Montague
7. Who does Eleanor eavesdrop on early in the afternoon outside the summer house?
(a) Theo and Luke.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Dudley.
(c) Dr. Montague and Mrs. Montague.
(d) Arthur and Mrs. Montague.
8. What is significant about the signature in the book Luke found?
(a) It is written in blood.
(b) It is a fake.
(c) It is written in invisible ink.
(d) It is the signiture of a famous ghost hunter.
9. What do the three young people discover while walking on the grounds?
(a) A carriage house.
(b) A greenhouse.
(c) A bubbling brook.
(d) A summer house.
10. What does Eleanor hear while walking alone by the brook?
(a) Luke and Theo's thoughts.
(b) A voice in her mind.
(c) A child singing.
(d) A child laughting.
11. Who arrives at Hill House in Chapter 7?
(a) Mrs. Montague
(b) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Theo's girlfriend
(d) Eleanor's sister
12. For what does Luke claim he has a passion?
(a) Spirits, meaning poltergeist.
(b) Spirits, meaning liquor.
(c) Spirits, meaning ghosts.
(d) Spirits, meaning religious spirits.
13. What nickname does Theo use with Eleanor?
14. What do Mrs. Montague and Arthur report hearing the night before?
15. Where do Dr. Montague and his assistants spend the night?
(a) In the library.
(b) In Dr. Montague's room.
(c) In the study.
(d) In Eleanor's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes charge when Theo becomes hysterical over the state of her room?
2. For whose death does Eleanor believe she is responsible?
3. Why do Dr. Montague and Luke believe Theo accuses Eleanor?
4. Where do Luke and Eleanor go to spend an afternoon alone in chapter 6?
5. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)