|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes charge when Theo becomes hysterical over the state of her room?
(c) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Dr. Montague
2. Why does Eleanor say she is not frightened by the state of Theo's room?
(a) Eleanor is more concerned for Theo than herself.
(b) Eleanor has gotten used to the strangness of Hill House.
(c) Eleanor is getting used to Theo blaming her for things.
(d) Eleanor does not believe a ghost did these things.
3. Where does Eleanor go after her conversation with Theo?
(a) To the library.
(b) For a walk in the dark.
(c) To the kitchen for a snack.
(d) To her room.
4. What does Luke find in the library in Chapter 6?
(a) A handmade scrapbook.
(b) A book on the history of Hillsdale.
(c) A fictional book written by Hugh Crain.
(d) A photo album of the Crain family.
5. Who insists on moving in with Theo when the summer is over?
(c) Dr. Montague
6. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of doing?
(a) Writing the words herself.
(b) Paying Luke to write the words to frighten everyone.
(c) Erasing the words before they could document them.
(d) Trying to draw attention to herself by becoming hysterical at the sight of the words.
7. Who says that Theo looks better in Eleanor's clothing than Eleanor?
8. Where do Luke and Eleanor go to spend an afternoon alone in chapter 6?
(a) The garden
(b) The basement
(c) The tower
(d) The summer house
9. What upsets the group about the illustrations in the book Luke found?
(a) The illustrations are graphic and violent.
(b) The illustrations are inappropriate to the material they represent.
(c) The illustrations are badly done.
(d) The illustrations are too childish.
10. What is Eleanor surprised to see when she wakes?
(a) That the attic has not fallen in.
(b) That there is no damage from the fallen tower.
(c) That the house is still whole and standing.
(d) That the garage is still attached to the house.
11. What does Theo advice Eleanor to do?
(a) Call Dr. Montague.
(c) Close her eyes.
(d) Take pictures.
12. What is a planchette?
(a) A device that uses weights to measure breezes.
(b) A device that measures barometric changes within a house.
(c) A device similar to a Ouija board that uses a pencil to write out messages from the other side.
(d) A device similar to a themometer.
13. What does Luke tell Eleanor about his mother?
(a) Luke says his mother abused him as a child.
(b) Luke says he never had a mother.
(c) Luke says he dislikes his mother.
(d) Luke says his mother abandoned him as a child.
14. What does Eleanor hear while walking alone by the brook?
(a) A child laughting.
(b) Luke and Theo's thoughts.
(c) A voice in her mind.
(d) A child singing.
15. Who refuses to allow the group to linger over their breakfast?
(b) Mrs. Dudley.
(d) Mrs. Montague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mrs. Montague and Arthur report hearing the night before?
2. Why does Theo tease Eleanor?
3. What does Eleanor find in Theo's room?
4. What is the cause of Eleanor's sudden happiness?
5. What does Eleanor come to believe has fallen?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)