|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Theo tease Eleanor?
(a) She is jealous. She likes Eleanor.
(b) She does not want a relationship to complicate the investigation.
(c) She does not want Eleanor to be distracted.
(d) She wants to date Luke.
2. What do Dr. Montague and his assistants hear during the night?
(a) Running water.
(b) A knocking sound and laughter.
(c) A child crying.
(d) A dog barking.
3. Who takes charge when Theo becomes hysterical over the state of her room?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Dr. Montague
4. What does Luke find in the library in Chapter 6?
(a) A photo album of the Crain family.
(b) A fictional book written by Hugh Crain.
(c) A handmade scrapbook.
(d) A book on the history of Hillsdale.
5. Who follows Eleanor?
(c) Dr. Montague
(d) Mrs. Dudley
6. What does Eleanor come to believe has fallen?
(a) The garage.
(b) The attic.
(c) The tower.
(d) The house.
7. Who stands at the door when the sound begins, trying to establish from which direction the sound is coming?
(a) Dr. Montague
8. What is Eleanor surprised to see when she wakes?
(a) That the attic has not fallen in.
(b) That the garage is still attached to the house.
(c) That the house is still whole and standing.
(d) That there is no damage from the fallen tower.
9. What upsets the group about the illustrations in the book Luke found?
(a) The illustrations are graphic and violent.
(b) The illustrations are badly done.
(c) The illustrations are inappropriate to the material they represent.
(d) The illustrations are too childish.
10. Why does Eleanor say she is not frightened by the state of Theo's room?
(a) Eleanor has gotten used to the strangness of Hill House.
(b) Eleanor is getting used to Theo blaming her for things.
(c) Eleanor does not believe a ghost did these things.
(d) Eleanor is more concerned for Theo than herself.
11. What does Eleanor say as she wakes?
(a) I wish I could.
(b) I don't want to.
(c) I love you.
(d) I'll come.
12. Who is concerned for Mrs. Montague?
(c) Dr. Montague
13. Who does Dr. Montague announce will arrive the following Saturday?
(a) Mrs. Montague.
(b) A fellow academic.
(c) A famous poltergeist researcher.
(d) Luke's aunt.
14. For whose death does Eleanor believe she is responsible?
(a) Her sister's.
(b) Her mother's.
(c) Her father's
(d) Her neice's.
15. Where does Arthur plan to spend the night?
(a) Patroling the corridor outside the nursery.
(b) In the library.
(c) In Dr. Montague's room.
(d) In the nursery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor think of Luke's confession?
2. What does Eleanor expect to feel under her feet as she goes back to Hill House?
3. Who believes ghosts only want to be loved?
4. What does Luke find?
5. Who takes Eleanor to get dressed?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)