|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she reaches the front door?
(a) Journeys end with lovers meeting.
(b) Journeys end at the iron knocker.
(c) Journeys begin at the front door.
(d) Journeys begin with lover meeting.
2. Dr. Montague's doctorate is in __________________.
3. What time is dinner served?
(a) Five sharp
(b) Six sharp
4. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
(a) Eleanor finds his flirting silly.
(b) Eleanor finds him to be unfriendly.
(c) Eleanor finds him to be rude.
(d) Eleanor finds his flirting flattering.
5. What were Dr. Montague and Luke searching for during the manifestation that woke the girls?
(a) A rat that stole Dr. Montague's after dinner cookie.
(b) A dog that ran past Dr. Montague's door.
(c) A goat that somehow got into the house.
(d) A cat that ran past Luke's door.
6. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new sweater and matching sandals
(b) A new hairbrush
(c) A new suitcase
(d) A new jacket
7. Where is the spiral staircase located?
(a) In the study.
(b) In the game room.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the library.
8. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
(b) His car drove off a cliff.
(c) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
(d) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
9. When does Dr. Montague suggest Eleanor should leave the house?
(a) If she is frightened.
(b) If she begins to feel uneasy.
(c) If she feels the house latching onto her.
(d) If trouble begins to take place.
10. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
(a) A flourishing garden
(b) A garage full of fancy cars
(c) A babbling brook
(d) A green house
11. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
(b) That nothing happened during the night.
(c) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
(d) That she slept so well in Hill House.
12. Who leaves the house at six every night?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
13. Who greets the women when they return to the house?
(b) Dr. Montague
(c) Mrs. Dudley
14. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
(a) To ask questions about Hill House
(b) To ask about Dr. Montague
(c) To ask about the local night life
(d) To prolong her journey
15. What happened at Eleanor's house when she was twelve?
(a) Her mother died.
(b) Rocks rained on the house.
(c) The house burned down.
(d) Her sister moved away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some of the theories for the cause of odd events that have taken place in Hill House?
2. To what does Theo compare this first day at Hill House?
3. How does Eleanor plan to change her behavior?
4. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
5. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)