|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
(a) Journeys end in lovers meeting.
(b) I'm coming, Mother.
(c) I'll leave.
(d) I want to believe.
2. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
(c) Just a house
3. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke?
(a) Dr. Montague treats Luke with the respect his position affords him.
(b) Dr. Montague treats Luke like a son.
(c) Dr. Montague treats Luke with indifference.
(d) Dr. Montague treats Luke almost like a servant.
4. When does Dr. Montague suggest Eleanor should leave the house?
(a) If trouble begins to take place.
(b) If she begins to feel uneasy.
(c) If she feels the house latching onto her.
(d) If she is frightened.
5. Who leaves the house at six every night?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
6. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
(b) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
(c) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
(d) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
7. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
(a) Sings along to the radio
(b) Talks to her dead mother
(c) Imagines life at Hill House
(d) Daydreams of a better life
8. Who did Eleanor care for for eleven years?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her father
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her sister
9. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
(a) Since the Sandersons took possession
(b) Since their childhoods
(c) Since the last tenants left
(d) Since the death of Mr. Crain
10. What does Dr. Montague claim to be?
(a) A scientist and a realist
(b) A philosopher and a gentleman
(c) A pilgrim and a wanderer
(d) A student of phenomenon
11. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
(a) Hill House
(b) Ghost stories
(c) Dr. Montague's investigation
(d) The Crain family
12. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
(a) She is a professional ghost hunter.
(b) She is pretty.
(c) She is psychic.
(d) She is his wife.
13. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
(b) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
(c) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
(d) His car drove off a cliff.
14. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
15. Who was accused of breaking into the house at night and stealing things?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) The younger Crain sister.
(c) The older sister.
(d) The young companion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eleanor introduce herself?
2. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
3. Who opens the door?
4. Who offers to pray for Eleanor?
5. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)