|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is dinner served?
(c) Six sharp
(d) Five sharp
2. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
(b) Just a house
3. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
(b) That nothing happened during the night.
(c) That she slept so well in Hill House.
(d) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
4. Where did Dr. Montague hear of Hill House?
(a) Former colleagues
(b) Former tenants
(c) Research assistants
(d) An old friend
5. Why does Eleanor refuse to leave Hill House before going inside?
(a) She does not want to return to her sister's house.
(b) She does not want to disappoint Dr. Montague.
(c) She does not want Mr. Dudley to laugh at her.
(d) She does not want to miss out on an adventure.
6. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
(a) Since the last tenants left
(b) Since the Sandersons took possession
(c) Since the death of Mr. Crain
(d) Since their childhoods
7. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
(a) To only go there with a psychic
(b) To never stay overnight
(c) To stay away
(d) To take a gun when visiting
8. Who did Eleanor care for for eleven years?
(a) Her sister
(b) Her father
(c) Her mother
(d) Her cousin
9. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke?
(a) Dr. Montague treats Luke almost like a servant.
(b) Dr. Montague treats Luke with indifference.
(c) Dr. Montague treats Luke like a son.
(d) Dr. Montague treats Luke with the respect his position affords him.
10. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
(b) Study of supernatural manifestations
(c) Study of anthropology
11. Who refuses to stay in the house after dark?
(c) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Dr. Montague
12. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
(a) Secret passageways filled with treasure
(b) A closet full of skeletons
(c) A basement full of rats
(d) An evil spirit
13. Why does Theo make jokes with Eleanor?
(a) To distract her while Theo steals her clothes.
(b) To take her mind off of the noises in the house.
(c) To make friends.
(d) To help her overcome her fear.
14. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
(a) Eleanor owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
(b) Eleanor had an experience with a poltergeist as a child.
(c) Eleanor lived in a haunted house as a child.
(d) Eleanor is psychic.
15. Who was accused of breaking into the house at night and stealing things?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) The younger Crain sister.
(c) The young companion.
(d) The older sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
2. What does Eleanor think would infuriate her mother?
3. Where is the spiral staircase located?
4. What surprises Theo about the position of Hill House?
5. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)