|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leaves the house at six every night?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
2. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
(c) Study of anthropology
(d) Study of supernatural manifestations
3. What happens when Eleanor opens the curtains over the window?
(a) Nothing, the windows are boarded up.
(b) A bird flies inside.
(c) Nothing, the windows are too thick to allow light in.
(d) Eleanor sees someone staring in.
4. What does Eleanor think would infuriate her mother?
(a) Her decision to stay in this house
(b) The clothes she bought for this trip
(c) The makeup she is wearing
(d) Her behavior with Theo
5. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
(a) Because every angle in the house is irregular.
(b) Because a ghost is pushing them closed.
(c) Because the doors were hung improperly.
(d) Because the architect was inferior, causing many irregularties in the house's structure.
6. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
(a) To stay away
(b) To take a gun when visiting
(c) To never stay overnight
(d) To only go there with a psychic
7. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
(b) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
(c) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
(d) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
8. Why do the girls get lost on the way to the kitchen?
(a) Mrs. Dudley shut off all the lights.
(b) They do not know the house well enough.
(c) All the doors have swung shut again.
(d) Mrs. Dudley closed the doors.
9. What do Theo and Eleanor think will disappoint Mrs. Dudley?
(a) That they did not make their beds.
(b) That they do not plan to have breakfast.
(c) That they do not plan to help with the housework.
(d) That they survived the night.
10. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
11. What is significant about Theo's calling the shadow a rabbit?
(a) Theo saw a rabbit seconds before the shadow, confusing the two.
(b) Theo thinks of Eleanor as a rabbit, ripe to be manipulated.
(c) Theo has a pet rabbit, so the comparison makes her feel better.
(d) Theo likes rabbits.
12. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
(a) Three daughters
(b) Two daughters, one son
(c) Two daughters
(d) Three sons, one daughter
13. With what does Eleanor deny having experiences?
(c) Haunted houses
14. Who opens the door?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Dr. Montague
15. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(b) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
(c) Write a fictional book about the house.
(d) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to stay in the house after dark?
2. Who was accused of breaking into the house at night and stealing things?
3. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
4. What is Eleanor's prevailing emotion as she is left alone in her room?
5. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)