|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
(a) The game room.
(b) The nursery.
(c) The study.
(d) The library.
2. Where is the spiral staircase located?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In the study.
(d) In the game room.
3. Who refuses to stay in the house after dark?
(b) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Dr. Montague
4. What are some of the theories for the cause of odd events that have taken place in Hill House?
(a) Ghosts, evil spirits, spirits from an Indian burial site
(b) Sun spots, atmospheric pressure, polluted air, earth tremors
(c) Someone's bad sense of humor
(d) Santanic rituals
5. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
(b) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(c) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
(d) Write a fictional book about the house.
6. What words come to Eleanor's mind when she sees Hill House?
(a) Happy and decorative
(b) Vile and diseased
(c) Ugly and old
(d) Large and attractive
7. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She is a professional ghost hunter.
(c) She is his wife.
(d) She is psychic.
8. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
(a) Theo accuses Eleanor of being boring.
(b) Theo accuses Eleanor of being an old maid.
(c) Theo says Eleanor does not spend enough time caring for herself.
(d) Theo accuses Eleanor of stealing silverware from the kitchen.
9. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) His car drove off a cliff.
(b) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
(c) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
(d) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
10. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new suitcase
(b) A new jacket
(c) A new sweater and matching sandals
(d) A new hairbrush
11. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
(a) A basement full of rats
(b) Secret passageways filled with treasure
(c) An evil spirit
(d) A closet full of skeletons
12. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
(a) Because a ghost is pushing them closed.
(b) Because the doors were hung improperly.
(c) Because every angle in the house is irregular.
(d) Because the architect was inferior, causing many irregularties in the house's structure.
13. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
(a) Eleanor is paralyzed with fear.
(b) Eleanor is blissfully unaware of the evil around her.
(c) Eleanor is happy to just be out of her sister's house.
(d) Eleanor is enthusiastic about the investigation.
14. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
(a) Theodora owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
(b) Theodora had an experience with poltergeist as a child.
(c) Theodora lived in a haunted house as a child.
(d) Theodora is psychic.
15. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
(b) That nothing happened during the night.
(c) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
(d) That she slept so well in Hill House.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
2. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
3. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
4. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
5. Who provides directions to Hill House?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)