|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
(b) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
(c) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
(d) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
2. Why does Eleanor refuse to leave Hill House before going inside?
(a) She does not want to miss out on an adventure.
(b) She does not want to return to her sister's house.
(c) She does not want Mr. Dudley to laugh at her.
(d) She does not want to disappoint Dr. Montague.
3. Who opens the door?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Dr. Montague
4. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
(a) Eleanor is psychic.
(b) Eleanor had an experience with a poltergeist as a child.
(c) Eleanor lived in a haunted house as a child.
(d) Eleanor owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
5. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new sweater and matching sandals
(b) A new hairbrush
(c) A new suitcase
(d) A new jacket
6. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
(a) A house with oleander bushes along the driveway
(b) A mansion in Hillsdale
(c) Hill House
(d) A house with stone lions outside
7. What do Theo and Eleanor think will disappoint Mrs. Dudley?
(a) That they survived the night.
(b) That they did not make their beds.
(c) That they do not plan to have breakfast.
(d) That they do not plan to help with the housework.
8. Why do the girls get lost on the way to the kitchen?
(a) Mrs. Dudley closed the doors.
(b) They do not know the house well enough.
(c) Mrs. Dudley shut off all the lights.
(d) All the doors have swung shut again.
9. How does Theo react to Luke?
(a) Theo teases Luke.
(b) Theo tell Luke not to waste his time, she is taken.
(c) Theo responds to his flirting.
(d) Theo brushes Luke off.
10. What warning does Mrs. Dudley offer Eleanor?
(a) That the house is haunted.
(b) That Dr. Montague is insane.
(c) That no one will come if she needs help at night.
(d) That there is a killer loose in Hillsdale.
11. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
(a) Sings along to the radio
(b) Daydreams of a better life
(c) Imagines life at Hill House
(d) Talks to her dead mother
12. What does Eleanor dislike her sister for?
(a) Not giving her a room of her own
(b) Not allowing her to have a new suitcase
(c) Not helping with her mother
(d) Not allowing her to take the car
13. Who provides directions to Hill House?
(b) Dr. Montague
14. What is odd about the drawing room?
(a) The huge baroque style statue.
(b) The odd paintings throughout the room.
(c) The huge portrait of Crain.
(d) The tree growing through its center.
15. What color is Eleanor's room?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
2. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
3. How does Eleanor plan to change her behavior?
4. How does Eleanor introduce herself?
5. What is Eleanor forced to steal when she leaves home?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)