|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
2. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
(a) Luke's family owns the house.
(b) Luke had an experience with poltergeist as a child.
(c) Luke is psychic.
(d) Luke lived in a haunted house as a child.
3. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
(a) Make friends.
(b) Buy bright colored clothes.
(c) Stay in a haunted house.
(d) Steal the car.
4. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
(a) Secret passageways filled with treasure
(b) An evil spirit
(c) A basement full of rats
(d) A closet full of skeletons
5. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
(a) A garage full of fancy cars
(b) A flourishing garden
(c) A green house
(d) A babbling brook
6. How does Theo see Eleanor?
(a) Theo sees Eleanor as a kindred spirit.
(b) Theo sees Eleanor as drab and unexciting.
(c) Theo sees Eleanor as weak and unstable.
(d) Theo sees Eleanor as funny and outgoing.
7. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new hairbrush
(b) A new jacket
(c) A new suitcase
(d) A new sweater and matching sandals
8. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That nothing happened during the night.
(b) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
(c) That she slept so well in Hill House.
(d) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
9. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
(a) Study of supernatural manifestations
(d) Study of anthropology
10. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) His car drove off a cliff.
(b) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
(c) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
(d) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
11. What happens when Eleanor opens the curtains over the window?
(a) Eleanor sees someone staring in.
(b) Nothing, the windows are boarded up.
(c) Nothing, the windows are too thick to allow light in.
(d) A bird flies inside.
12. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
(a) To keep the house safe.
(b) To keep him out of trouble.
(c) To find him a wife.
(d) To keep an eye on Dr. Montague.
13. Where did Dr. Montague hear of Hill House?
(a) Research assistants
(b) Former tenants
(c) Former colleagues
(d) An old friend
14. Who opens the door?
(a) Dr. Montague
(c) Mrs. Dudley
15. Who lived in Hill House after Hugh Crain's death?
(a) His son and his family
(b) His widow and her new husband
(c) His eldest daughter and a young companion
(d) His youngest daughter and her husband
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor dislike her sister for?
2. What do Theo and Eleanor think will disappoint Mrs. Dudley?
3. What is Eleanor's impression of the waitress at the diner in Hillsdale?
4. Who did Eleanor care for for eleven years?
5. What does Dr. Montague claim to be?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)