|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
(a) A dark shadow below the staircase.
(b) A picture of Hugh Crain.
(c) A cold spot outside the door.
(d) A moldy, earth smell.
2. What happened at Eleanor's house when she was twelve?
(a) The house burned down.
(b) Her mother died.
(c) Rocks rained on the house.
(d) Her sister moved away.
3. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
(a) Eleanor finds his flirting silly.
(b) Eleanor finds him to be rude.
(c) Eleanor finds his flirting flattering.
(d) Eleanor finds him to be unfriendly.
4. When does Dr. Montague suggest Eleanor should leave the house?
(a) If she feels the house latching onto her.
(b) If she is frightened.
(c) If trouble begins to take place.
(d) If she begins to feel uneasy.
5. How does Theo advise Eleanor to dress?
(a) Dark and drab.
(b) Bright as a sunbeam.
6. Who greets the women when they return to the house?
(a) Dr. Montague
(b) Mrs. Dudley
7. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
(b) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(c) Write a fictional book about the house.
(d) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
8. What warning does Mrs. Dudley offer Eleanor?
(a) That there is a killer loose in Hillsdale.
(b) That no one will come if she needs help at night.
(c) That the house is haunted.
(d) That Dr. Montague is insane.
9. How does Theo insist she and Eleanor should dress?
(a) In brightly colored clothes
(b) In sexually appealing clothes
(c) In work clothes
(d) In comfortable clothes
10. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
(a) A cup with bears on it
(b) A cup of moons
(c) A pink cup
(d) A cup of stars
11. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
(a) A flourishing garden
(b) A babbling brook
(c) A green house
(d) A garage full of fancy cars
12. What were Dr. Montague and Luke searching for during the manifestation that woke the girls?
(a) A cat that ran past Luke's door.
(b) A dog that ran past Dr. Montague's door.
(c) A goat that somehow got into the house.
(d) A rat that stole Dr. Montague's after dinner cookie.
13. What does Eleanor think would infuriate her mother?
(a) Her decision to stay in this house
(b) The makeup she is wearing
(c) The clothes she bought for this trip
(d) Her behavior with Theo
14. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
(a) She died of tuberculosis.
(b) She had a heart attack the first time she saw Hill House.
(c) She fell from the tower at Hill House.
(d) Her carriage overturned while making a turn in the driveway at Hill House.
15. With whom does Eleanor live ?
(a) Her father
(b) Her mother
(c) Her sister
(d) Her cousin
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
2. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
3. How does Eleanor plan to change her behavior?
4. Who lived in Hill House after Hugh Crain's death?
5. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)