|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
(b) That nothing happened during the night.
(c) That she slept so well in Hill House.
(d) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
2. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
(a) Ghost stories
(b) Dr. Montague's investigation
(c) Hill House
(d) The Crain family
3. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
(a) Three daughters
(b) Three sons, one daughter
(c) Two daughters, one son
(d) Two daughters
4. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
5. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new suitcase
(b) A new sweater and matching sandals
(c) A new hairbrush
(d) A new jacket
6. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
(b) His car drove off a cliff.
(c) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
(d) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
7. Who lived in Hill House after Hugh Crain's death?
(a) His son and his family
(b) His youngest daughter and her husband
(c) His widow and her new husband
(d) His eldest daughter and a young companion
8. What do Theo and Eleanor think will disappoint Mrs. Dudley?
(a) That they survived the night.
(b) That they do not plan to help with the housework.
(c) That they did not make their beds.
(d) That they do not plan to have breakfast.
9. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
(a) Just a house
10. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
(a) To ask questions about Hill House
(b) To prolong her journey
(c) To ask about the local night life
(d) To ask about Dr. Montague
11. What does the aunt say about Luke?
(a) He is handy with tools.
(b) He is dishonest and unreliable.
(c) He is kind and generous.
(d) He is a drunk.
12. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
(a) Dr. Montague
13. Why does the party get lost on the way to dinner?
(a) The doors keep closing, blocking off the light.
(b) They do not know the house well enough to find their way.
(c) Mrs. Dudley has come behind them and shut off all the lights.
(d) The house is so oddly designed, no one could possibly find their way.
14. What does Eleanor dislike her sister for?
(a) Not helping with her mother
(b) Not giving her a room of her own
(c) Not allowing her to have a new suitcase
(d) Not allowing her to take the car
15. Where does the spiral staircase lead?
(a) To a private study.
(b) To the upper floors.
(c) To the tower balcony.
(d) To Hugh Crain's bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
2. What warning does Mrs. Dudley offer Eleanor?
3. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
4. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
5. Why does Theo make jokes with Eleanor?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)