|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she reaches the front door?
(a) Journeys end at the iron knocker.
(b) Journeys end with lovers meeting.
(c) Journeys begin at the front door.
(d) Journeys begin with lover meeting.
2. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
(a) Eleanor owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
(b) Eleanor had an experience with a poltergeist as a child.
(c) Eleanor is psychic.
(d) Eleanor lived in a haunted house as a child.
3. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
(a) Just a house
4. Who was accused of breaking into the house at night and stealing things?
(a) The housekeeper.
(b) The younger Crain sister.
(c) The older sister.
(d) The young companion.
5. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
(a) Since the Sandersons took possession
(b) Since the death of Mr. Crain
(c) Since their childhoods
(d) Since the last tenants left
6. Who committed suicide in Hill House?
(a) The young companion.
(b) The other daughter.
(c) The son.
(d) The widow.
7. How does Luke introduce himself?
(a) As the nephew of the house's owner
(b) As a bullfighter
(c) As a lawyer
(d) As a specialist in psychic phenomenon
8. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
(a) To only go there with a psychic
(b) To take a gun when visiting
(c) To stay away
(d) To never stay overnight
9. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
(a) Study of anthropology
(d) Study of supernatural manifestations
10. What does Eleanor think would infuriate her mother?
(a) The makeup she is wearing
(b) Her behavior with Theo
(c) The clothes she bought for this trip
(d) Her decision to stay in this house
11. What guards the entrance to the nursery?
(a) A poltergeist.
(b) A set of armor.
(c) A cold spot.
(d) A teddy bear.
12. Why does Eleanor refuse to leave Hill House before going inside?
(a) She does not want to return to her sister's house.
(b) She does not want to disappoint Dr. Montague.
(c) She does not want Mr. Dudley to laugh at her.
(d) She does not want to miss out on an adventure.
13. Why do the girls get lost on the way to the kitchen?
(a) They do not know the house well enough.
(b) Mrs. Dudley closed the doors.
(c) Mrs. Dudley shut off all the lights.
(d) All the doors have swung shut again.
14. How does Theo advise Eleanor to dress?
(a) Dark and drab.
(d) Bright as a sunbeam.
15. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) His car drove off a cliff.
(b) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
(c) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
(d) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
2. What do Theo and Eleanor think will disappoint Mrs. Dudley?
3. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
4. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
5. When does Dr. Montague suggest Eleanor should leave the house?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)