|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eleanor dislike her sister for?
(a) Not allowing her to take the car
(b) Not giving her a room of her own
(c) Not helping with her mother
(d) Not allowing her to have a new suitcase
2. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
(b) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(c) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
(d) Write a fictional book about the house.
3. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
(a) To ask questions about Hill House
(b) To ask about the local night life
(c) To prolong her journey
(d) To ask about Dr. Montague
4. Who offers to pray for Eleanor?
(a) An old woman she accidentally knocked over
(b) The little girl in the restaurant
(c) Her sister
(d) The waitress in Hillsdale
5. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
6. What is odd about the drawing room?
(a) The huge portrait of Crain.
(b) The huge baroque style statue.
(c) The tree growing through its center.
(d) The odd paintings throughout the room.
7. How does Eleanor introduce herself?
(a) As a caretaker
(b) As a nurse
(c) As an artist's model
(d) As an unemployed actress
8. What time is dinner served?
(b) Six sharp
(c) Five sharp
9. To what does Theo compare this first day at Hill House?
(a) The first day of camp
(b) The first day of a new job
(c) The first day of school
(d) The first appointment with a new doctor
10. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
(a) To stay away
(b) To take a gun when visiting
(c) To only go there with a psychic
(d) To never stay overnight
11. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
(a) Theodora is psychic.
(b) Theodora owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
(c) Theodora had an experience with poltergeist as a child.
(d) Theodora lived in a haunted house as a child.
12. With whom does Eleanor live ?
(a) Her father
(b) Her mother
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her sister
13. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
(b) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
(c) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
(d) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
14. Why does Theo make jokes with Eleanor?
(a) To make friends.
(b) To help her overcome her fear.
(c) To take her mind off of the noises in the house.
(d) To distract her while Theo steals her clothes.
15. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
(a) A mansion in Hillsdale
(b) Hill House
(c) A house with stone lions outside
(d) A house with oleander bushes along the driveway
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Theo introduce herself?
2. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
3. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
4. What is significant about Theo's calling the shadow a rabbit?
5. How does Theo see Eleanor?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)