|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Theo advise Eleanor to dress?
(a) Bright as a sunbeam.
(c) Dark and drab.
2. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
(b) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
(c) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
(d) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
3. What do Theo and Eleanor think will disappoint Mrs. Dudley?
(a) That they do not plan to help with the housework.
(b) That they survived the night.
(c) That they do not plan to have breakfast.
(d) That they did not make their beds.
4. Who leaves the house at six every night?
(b) Mrs. Dudley
5. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
(a) She fell from the tower at Hill House.
(b) Her carriage overturned while making a turn in the driveway at Hill House.
(c) She died of tuberculosis.
(d) She had a heart attack the first time she saw Hill House.
6. Who provides directions to Hill House?
(c) Dr. Montague
7. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
(a) A child crying.
(b) A dog barking.
(d) A crashing sound.
8. Who opens the door?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Dr. Montague
9. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
(a) A garage full of fancy cars
(b) A babbling brook
(c) A flourishing garden
(d) A green house
10. Who offers to pray for Eleanor?
(a) An old woman she accidentally knocked over
(b) The little girl in the restaurant
(c) Her sister
(d) The waitress in Hillsdale
11. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She is psychic.
(c) She is his wife.
(d) She is a professional ghost hunter.
12. Who greets the women when they return to the house?
(b) Dr. Montague
(c) Mrs. Dudley
13. Where is the spiral staircase located?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the study.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the game room.
14. How does Theo introduce herself?
(a) As a lord's daughter masquerading as a commoner
(b) As a nightclub singer
(c) As a psychic
(d) As a professional athlete
15. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
(a) Two daughters
(b) Three sons, one daughter
(c) Two daughters, one son
(d) Three daughters
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
2. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
3. What is Eleanor's prevailing emotion as she is left alone in her room?
4. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
5. Who did Eleanor care for for eleven years?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)