|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
(a) A cold spot outside the door.
(b) A moldy, earth smell.
(c) A dark shadow below the staircase.
(d) A picture of Hugh Crain.
2. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
(a) The nursery.
(b) The game room.
(c) The library.
(d) The study.
3. How does Theo advise Eleanor to dress?
(c) Bright as a sunbeam.
(d) Dark and drab.
4. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new suitcase
(b) A new sweater and matching sandals
(c) A new hairbrush
(d) A new jacket
5. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
(a) Since the Sandersons took possession
(b) Since the last tenants left
(c) Since their childhoods
(d) Since the death of Mr. Crain
6. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
(a) Eleanor owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
(b) Eleanor had an experience with a poltergeist as a child.
(c) Eleanor is psychic.
(d) Eleanor lived in a haunted house as a child.
7. Who provides directions to Hill House?
(a) Dr. Montague
8. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
(b) That she slept so well in Hill House.
(c) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
(d) That nothing happened during the night.
9. What happened at Eleanor's house when she was twelve?
(a) Her mother died.
(b) Her sister moved away.
(c) The house burned down.
(d) Rocks rained on the house.
10. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
(a) To keep him out of trouble.
(b) To keep the house safe.
(c) To find him a wife.
(d) To keep an eye on Dr. Montague.
11. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
(d) Just a house
12. What is Eleanor's impression of the waitress at the diner in Hillsdale?
(a) She is open and eager to talk about Hill House.
(b) She is unfriendly, especially when Hill House is mentioned.
(c) She is pretty.
(d) She is a threat to Eleanor's hopes of finding a boyfriend.
13. Who did Eleanor care for for eleven years?
(a) Her sister
(b) Her mother
(c) Her father
(d) Her cousin
14. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
(d) Dr. Montague
15. What is Eleanor's prevailing emotion as she is left alone in her room?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luke introduce himself?
2. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
3. How does Eleanor introduce herself?
4. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she reaches the front door?
5. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)