|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
(a) Her carriage overturned while making a turn in the driveway at Hill House.
(b) She had a heart attack the first time she saw Hill House.
(c) She fell from the tower at Hill House.
(d) She died of tuberculosis.
2. Where did Dr. Montague hear of Hill House?
(a) Former colleagues
(b) Research assistants
(c) Former tenants
(d) An old friend
3. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
(a) The Crain family
(b) Hill House
(c) Dr. Montague's investigation
(d) Ghost stories
4. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
(a) Sings along to the radio
(b) Imagines life at Hill House
(c) Talks to her dead mother
(d) Daydreams of a better life
5. What is Eleanor's prevailing emotion as she is left alone in her room?
6. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
(a) Stay in a haunted house.
(b) Make friends.
(c) Buy bright colored clothes.
(d) Steal the car.
7. Who was accused of breaking into the house at night and stealing things?
(a) The younger Crain sister.
(b) The young companion.
(c) The housekeeper.
(d) The older sister.
8. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
(a) Dr. Montague
(b) Mr. Dudley
(c) Luke Sanderson
(d) Mrs. Dudley
9. What surprises Theo about the position of Hill House?
(a) That it is so far from town.
(b) That it is between the hills rather than on top.
(c) That it is on top of the hills, rather than protected in the middle of them.
(d) That it is set so far back from the main gate.
10. How does Eleanor introduce herself?
(a) As an artist's model
(b) As an unemployed actress
(c) As a caretaker
(d) As a nurse
11. Who refuses to stay in the house after dark?
(a) Dr. Montague
(d) Mrs. Dudley
12. What were Dr. Montague and Luke searching for during the manifestation that woke the girls?
(a) A goat that somehow got into the house.
(b) A dog that ran past Dr. Montague's door.
(c) A rat that stole Dr. Montague's after dinner cookie.
(d) A cat that ran past Luke's door.
13. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
(a) Secret passageways filled with treasure
(b) An evil spirit
(c) A closet full of skeletons
(d) A basement full of rats
14. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
(b) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
(c) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
(d) His car drove off a cliff.
15. How does Theo see Eleanor?
(a) Theo sees Eleanor as drab and unexciting.
(b) Theo sees Eleanor as a kindred spirit.
(c) Theo sees Eleanor as weak and unstable.
(d) Theo sees Eleanor as funny and outgoing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
2. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
3. What is Eleanor's impression of the waitress at the diner in Hillsdale?
4. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
5. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)