|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
(a) Because every angle in the house is irregular.
(b) Because the doors were hung improperly.
(c) Because a ghost is pushing them closed.
(d) Because the architect was inferior, causing many irregularties in the house's structure.
2. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
(a) Study of supernatural manifestations
(b) Study of anthropology
3. Who opens the door?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Dr. Montague
4. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
(a) Imagines life at Hill House
(b) Talks to her dead mother
(c) Sings along to the radio
(d) Daydreams of a better life
5. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
(b) That nothing happened during the night.
(c) That she slept so well in Hill House.
(d) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
6. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new hairbrush
(b) A new jacket
(c) A new sweater and matching sandals
(d) A new suitcase
7. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write a fictional book about the house.
(b) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
(c) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(d) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
8. Dr. Montague's doctorate is in __________________.
9. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
(a) A house with stone lions outside
(b) Hill House
(c) A house with oleander bushes along the driveway
(d) A mansion in Hillsdale
10. Why does Theo make jokes with Eleanor?
(a) To take her mind off of the noises in the house.
(b) To make friends.
(c) To distract her while Theo steals her clothes.
(d) To help her overcome her fear.
11. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
(a) A cup of moons
(b) A pink cup
(c) A cup of stars
(d) A cup with bears on it
12. What is significant about Theo's calling the shadow a rabbit?
(a) Theo likes rabbits.
(b) Theo thinks of Eleanor as a rabbit, ripe to be manipulated.
(c) Theo saw a rabbit seconds before the shadow, confusing the two.
(d) Theo has a pet rabbit, so the comparison makes her feel better.
13. What emotion does Theo detect in Eleanor?
14. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
(a) Buy bright colored clothes.
(b) Make friends.
(c) Steal the car.
(d) Stay in a haunted house.
15. What guards the entrance to the nursery?
(a) A teddy bear.
(b) A cold spot.
(c) A poltergeist.
(d) A set of armor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
2. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
3. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
4. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
5. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)