|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refuses to stay in the house after dark?
(c) Dr. Montague
(d) Mrs. Dudley
2. What time is dinner served?
(a) Six sharp
(b) Five sharp
3. Who was accused of breaking into the house at night and stealing things?
(a) The young companion.
(b) The younger Crain sister.
(c) The older sister.
(d) The housekeeper.
4. Why does Theo make jokes with Eleanor?
(a) To make friends.
(b) To take her mind off of the noises in the house.
(c) To distract her while Theo steals her clothes.
(d) To help her overcome her fear.
5. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
(a) Mr. Dudley
(b) Luke Sanderson
(c) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Dr. Montague
6. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
(b) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
(c) His car drove off a cliff.
(d) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
7. What does Eleanor dislike her sister for?
(a) Not helping with her mother
(b) Not giving her a room of her own
(c) Not allowing her to take the car
(d) Not allowing her to have a new suitcase
8. To what does Theo compare this first day at Hill House?
(a) The first day of school
(b) The first day of camp
(c) The first day of a new job
(d) The first appointment with a new doctor
9. How does Luke introduce himself?
(a) As a bullfighter
(b) As the nephew of the house's owner
(c) As a specialist in psychic phenomenon
(d) As a lawyer
10. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
11. What emotion does Theo detect in Eleanor?
12. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
(a) Eleanor is happy to just be out of her sister's house.
(b) Eleanor is enthusiastic about the investigation.
(c) Eleanor is blissfully unaware of the evil around her.
(d) Eleanor is paralyzed with fear.
13. What is odd about the drawing room?
(a) The odd paintings throughout the room.
(b) The huge portrait of Crain.
(c) The huge baroque style statue.
(d) The tree growing through its center.
14. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
(a) Luke is psychic.
(b) Luke had an experience with poltergeist as a child.
(c) Luke's family owns the house.
(d) Luke lived in a haunted house as a child.
15. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
2. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
3. With what does Eleanor deny having experiences?
4. Why do the girls get lost on the way to the kitchen?
5. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)