|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke?
(a) Dr. Montague treats Luke like a son.
(b) Dr. Montague treats Luke almost like a servant.
(c) Dr. Montague treats Luke with the respect his position affords him.
(d) Dr. Montague treats Luke with indifference.
2. Why does Eleanor refuse to leave Hill House before going inside?
(a) She does not want to miss out on an adventure.
(b) She does not want Mr. Dudley to laugh at her.
(c) She does not want to return to her sister's house.
(d) She does not want to disappoint Dr. Montague.
3. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write a fictional book about the house.
(b) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
(c) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(d) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
4. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
(a) A house with oleander bushes along the driveway
(b) Hill House
(c) A mansion in Hillsdale
(d) A house with stone lions outside
5. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
(a) Eleanor is paralyzed with fear.
(b) Eleanor is enthusiastic about the investigation.
(c) Eleanor is happy to just be out of her sister's house.
(d) Eleanor is blissfully unaware of the evil around her.
6. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
(a) Hill House
(b) Dr. Montague's investigation
(c) The Crain family
(d) Ghost stories
7. What does the aunt say about Luke?
(a) He is dishonest and unreliable.
(b) He is kind and generous.
(c) He is handy with tools.
(d) He is a drunk.
8. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
(a) Luke Sanderson
(b) Dr. Montague
(c) Mr. Dudley
(d) Mrs. Dudley
9. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
(a) Theodora is psychic.
(b) Theodora owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
(c) Theodora had an experience with poltergeist as a child.
(d) Theodora lived in a haunted house as a child.
10. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
(a) She fell from the tower at Hill House.
(b) She died of tuberculosis.
(c) Her carriage overturned while making a turn in the driveway at Hill House.
(d) She had a heart attack the first time she saw Hill House.
11. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
(a) I'll leave.
(b) I want to believe.
(c) Journeys end in lovers meeting.
(d) I'm coming, Mother.
12. Why does the party get lost on the way to dinner?
(a) The house is so oddly designed, no one could possibly find their way.
(b) Mrs. Dudley has come behind them and shut off all the lights.
(c) They do not know the house well enough to find their way.
(d) The doors keep closing, blocking off the light.
13. Who lived in Hill House after Hugh Crain's death?
(a) His eldest daughter and a young companion
(b) His widow and her new husband
(c) His youngest daughter and her husband
(d) His son and his family
14. Dr. Montague's doctorate is in __________________.
15. With whom does Eleanor live ?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her cousin
(c) Her sister
(d) Her father
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
2. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
3. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
4. What is odd about the drawing room?
5. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)