|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the aunt say about Luke?
(a) He is handy with tools.
(b) He is dishonest and unreliable.
(c) He is kind and generous.
(d) He is a drunk.
2. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
(a) To ask about Dr. Montague
(b) To ask questions about Hill House
(c) To ask about the local night life
(d) To prolong her journey
3. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
(b) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
(c) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
(d) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
4. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
(a) The nursery.
(b) The game room.
(c) The study.
(d) The library.
5. Who did Eleanor care for for eleven years?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her cousin
(c) Her sister
(d) Her father
6. To what does Theo compare this first day at Hill House?
(a) The first day of a new job
(b) The first day of camp
(c) The first appointment with a new doctor
(d) The first day of school
7. How does Theo introduce herself?
(a) As a lord's daughter masquerading as a commoner
(b) As a psychic
(c) As a nightclub singer
(d) As a professional athlete
8. What were Dr. Montague and Luke searching for during the manifestation that woke the girls?
(a) A cat that ran past Luke's door.
(b) A rat that stole Dr. Montague's after dinner cookie.
(c) A dog that ran past Dr. Montague's door.
(d) A goat that somehow got into the house.
9. What surprises Theo about the position of Hill House?
(a) That it is on top of the hills, rather than protected in the middle of them.
(b) That it is between the hills rather than on top.
(c) That it is so far from town.
(d) That it is set so far back from the main gate.
10. With what does Eleanor deny having experiences?
(d) Haunted houses
11. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
(a) Since the last tenants left
(b) Since their childhoods
(c) Since the Sandersons took possession
(d) Since the death of Mr. Crain
12. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
(a) A cup of stars
(b) A pink cup
(c) A cup of moons
(d) A cup with bears on it
13. What time is dinner served?
(a) Five sharp
(d) Six sharp
14. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
(a) Ghost stories
(b) The Crain family
(c) Dr. Montague's investigation
(d) Hill House
15. How does Eleanor plan to change her behavior?
(a) Eleanor plans to act more reserved.
(b) Eleanor plans to be more helpful.
(c) Eleanor plans to be more friendly.
(d) Eleanor plans to be more open.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
2. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
3. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
4. When does Dr. Montague suggest Eleanor should leave the house?
5. What are some of the theories for the cause of odd events that have taken place in Hill House?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)