|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refuses to stay in the house after dark?
(a) Dr. Montague
(d) Mrs. Dudley
2. How does Eleanor plan to change her behavior?
(a) Eleanor plans to be more helpful.
(b) Eleanor plans to be more open.
(c) Eleanor plans to act more reserved.
(d) Eleanor plans to be more friendly.
3. What is odd about the drawing room?
(a) The tree growing through its center.
(b) The odd paintings throughout the room.
(c) The huge portrait of Crain.
(d) The huge baroque style statue.
4. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
(c) Dr. Montague
5. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
(a) Stay in a haunted house.
(b) Steal the car.
(c) Make friends.
(d) Buy bright colored clothes.
6. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
(a) Talks to her dead mother
(b) Imagines life at Hill House
(c) Daydreams of a better life
(d) Sings along to the radio
7. What color is Theo's room?
8. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
(b) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
(c) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
(d) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
9. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new jacket
(b) A new sweater and matching sandals
(c) A new hairbrush
(d) A new suitcase
10. Who opens the door?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
(b) Dr. Montague
11. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That nothing happened during the night.
(b) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
(c) That she slept so well in Hill House.
(d) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
12. What does Dr. Montague claim to be?
(a) A student of phenomenon
(b) A philosopher and a gentleman
(c) A scientist and a realist
(d) A pilgrim and a wanderer
13. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
(a) A cold spot outside the door.
(b) A dark shadow below the staircase.
(c) A moldy, earth smell.
(d) A picture of Hugh Crain.
14. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(b) Write a fictional book about the house.
(c) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
(d) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
15. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
(a) A child crying.
(b) A crashing sound.
(d) A dog barking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words come to Eleanor's mind when she sees Hill House?
2. How does Theo see Eleanor?
3. Who committed suicide in Hill House?
4. What does Eleanor dislike her sister for?
5. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)