|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
(a) Theo accuses Eleanor of being an old maid.
(b) Theo accuses Eleanor of being boring.
(c) Theo says Eleanor does not spend enough time caring for herself.
(d) Theo accuses Eleanor of stealing silverware from the kitchen.
2. Who lived in Hill House after Hugh Crain's death?
(a) His eldest daughter and a young companion
(b) His youngest daughter and her husband
(c) His son and his family
(d) His widow and her new husband
3. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write a fictional book about the house.
(b) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(c) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
(d) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
4. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
(a) A cup with bears on it
(b) A cup of moons
(c) A cup of stars
(d) A pink cup
5. What color is Eleanor's room?
6. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new jacket
(b) A new sweater and matching sandals
(c) A new suitcase
(d) A new hairbrush
7. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
(a) A moldy, earth smell.
(b) A cold spot outside the door.
(c) A dark shadow below the staircase.
(d) A picture of Hugh Crain.
8. Who opens the door?
(b) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Dr. Montague
9. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
(a) A babbling brook
(b) A garage full of fancy cars
(c) A green house
(d) A flourishing garden
10. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
(a) To keep him out of trouble.
(b) To find him a wife.
(c) To keep the house safe.
(d) To keep an eye on Dr. Montague.
11. Where does the spiral staircase lead?
(a) To a private study.
(b) To Hugh Crain's bedroom.
(c) To the upper floors.
(d) To the tower balcony.
12. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
(a) Dr. Montague
(b) Mrs. Dudley
(c) Mr. Dudley
(d) Luke Sanderson
13. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
(a) Hill House
(b) A house with stone lions outside
(c) A house with oleander bushes along the driveway
(d) A mansion in Hillsdale
14. What are some of the theories for the cause of odd events that have taken place in Hill House?
(a) Someone's bad sense of humor
(b) Santanic rituals
(c) Ghosts, evil spirits, spirits from an Indian burial site
(d) Sun spots, atmospheric pressure, polluted air, earth tremors
15. How does Eleanor plan to change her behavior?
(a) Eleanor plans to be more friendly.
(b) Eleanor plans to be more open.
(c) Eleanor plans to be more helpful.
(d) Eleanor plans to act more reserved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
2. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
3. Who leaves the house at six every night?
4. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
5. When does Dr. Montague suggest Eleanor should leave the house?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)