|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
(a) An evil spirit
(b) A basement full of rats
(c) Secret passageways filled with treasure
(d) A closet full of skeletons
2. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
(a) Dr. Montague's investigation
(b) Hill House
(c) Ghost stories
(d) The Crain family
3. Why does Dr. Montague invite Theodora to be his assistant?
(a) Theodora had an experience with poltergeist as a child.
(b) Theodora owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
(c) Theodora lived in a haunted house as a child.
(d) Theodora is psychic.
4. What does Dr. Montague claim to be?
(a) A scientist and a realist
(b) A student of phenomenon
(c) A philosopher and a gentleman
(d) A pilgrim and a wanderer
5. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
(b) That nothing happened during the night.
(c) That she slept so well in Hill House.
(d) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
6. Who opens the door?
(a) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Dr. Montague
7. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
(a) Eleanor lived in a haunted house as a child.
(b) Eleanor had an experience with a poltergeist as a child.
(c) Eleanor owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
(d) Eleanor is psychic.
8. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
(a) A moldy, earth smell.
(b) A cold spot outside the door.
(c) A picture of Hugh Crain.
(d) A dark shadow below the staircase.
9. What is Dr. Montague's passion?
(b) Study of anthropology
(c) Study of supernatural manifestations
10. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
(a) Eleanor finds him to be unfriendly.
(b) Eleanor finds him to be rude.
(c) Eleanor finds his flirting silly.
(d) Eleanor finds his flirting flattering.
11. What words come to Eleanor's mind when she sees Hill House?
(a) Happy and decorative
(b) Vile and diseased
(c) Large and attractive
(d) Ugly and old
12. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
13. What surprises Theo about the position of Hill House?
(a) That it is between the hills rather than on top.
(b) That it is on top of the hills, rather than protected in the middle of them.
(c) That it is so far from town.
(d) That it is set so far back from the main gate.
14. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
(b) A crashing sound.
(c) A child crying.
(d) A dog barking.
15. In what house does Eleanor pretend she lives?
(a) Hill House
(b) A house with oleander bushes along the driveway
(c) A mansion in Hillsdale
(d) A house with stone lions outside
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
2. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
3. Who was accused of breaking into the house at night and stealing things?
4. Why do the girls get lost on the way to the kitchen?
5. Who leaves the house at six every night?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)