|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Montague's doctorate is in __________________.
2. Where is the spiral staircase located?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the study.
(c) In the game room.
(d) In the kitchen.
3. What emotion does Theo detect in Eleanor?
4. What surprises Theo about the position of Hill House?
(a) That it is between the hills rather than on top.
(b) That it is so far from town.
(c) That it is set so far back from the main gate.
(d) That it is on top of the hills, rather than protected in the middle of them.
5. How many wives of Hugh Crain died at Hill House?
6. Why do the girls get lost on the way to the kitchen?
(a) All the doors have swung shut again.
(b) Mrs. Dudley shut off all the lights.
(c) They do not know the house well enough.
(d) Mrs. Dudley closed the doors.
7. What is Eleanor's prevailing emotion as she is left alone in her room?
8. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
9. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
(b) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
(c) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
(d) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
10. How does Luke introduce himself?
(a) As a bullfighter
(b) As the nephew of the house's owner
(c) As a specialist in psychic phenomenon
(d) As a lawyer
11. What does Dr. Montague claim to be?
(a) A pilgrim and a wanderer
(b) A student of phenomenon
(c) A philosopher and a gentleman
(d) A scientist and a realist
12. What color is Theo's room?
13. What guards the entrance to the nursery?
(a) A cold spot.
(b) A poltergeist.
(c) A set of armor.
(d) A teddy bear.
14. What does Eleanor notice on the veranda outside the library that no one else notices?
(a) A moldy, earth smell.
(b) A cold spot outside the door.
(c) A picture of Hugh Crain.
(d) A dark shadow below the staircase.
15. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
(a) She is his wife.
(b) She is a professional ghost hunter.
(c) She is psychic.
(d) She is pretty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eleanor's impression of the waitress at the diner in Hillsdale?
2. How does Theo insist she and Eleanor should dress?
3. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
4. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
5. What does the aunt say about Luke?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)