|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator informs the reader that Hill House is what?
(b) Just a house
2. With whom does Eleanor live ?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her sister
(c) Her father
(d) Her cousin
3. What does Theo accuse Eleanor of not doing?
(a) Theo says Eleanor does not spend enough time caring for herself.
(b) Theo accuses Eleanor of being boring.
(c) Theo accuses Eleanor of stealing silverware from the kitchen.
(d) Theo accuses Eleanor of being an old maid.
4. What were Dr. Montague and Luke searching for during the manifestation that woke the girls?
(a) A goat that somehow got into the house.
(b) A rat that stole Dr. Montague's after dinner cookie.
(c) A cat that ran past Luke's door.
(d) A dog that ran past Dr. Montague's door.
5. How does Theo introduce herself?
(a) As a professional athlete
(b) As a nightclub singer
(c) As a lord's daughter masquerading as a commoner
(d) As a psychic
6. With what does Eleanor deny having experiences?
(a) Haunted houses
7. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
(a) Since the last tenants left
(b) Since the death of Mr. Crain
(c) Since the Sandersons took possession
(d) Since their childhoods
8. Who offers to pray for Eleanor?
(a) An old woman she accidentally knocked over
(b) The little girl in the restaurant
(c) Her sister
(d) The waitress in Hillsdale
9. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
(a) I want to believe.
(b) I'll leave.
(c) Journeys end in lovers meeting.
(d) I'm coming, Mother.
10. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(b) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
(c) Write a fictional book about the house.
(d) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
11. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
(a) The Crain family
(b) Hill House
(c) Dr. Montague's investigation
(d) Ghost stories
12. Who did Eleanor care for for eleven years?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her cousin
(c) Her sister
(d) Her father
13. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
(a) Eleanor finds his flirting silly.
(b) Eleanor finds him to be rude.
(c) Eleanor finds him to be unfriendly.
(d) Eleanor finds his flirting flattering.
14. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
(a) A new suitcase
(b) A new jacket
(c) A new hairbrush
(d) A new sweater and matching sandals
15. How many children did Hugh Crain have?
(a) Two daughters, one son
(b) Three daughters
(c) Two daughters
(d) Three sons, one daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luke introduce himself?
2. What quote comes to Eleanor's mind when she reaches the front door?
3. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
4. Where did Dr. Montague hear of Hill House?
5. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)