|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who opens the door?
(b) Dr. Montague
(c) Mrs. Dudley
2. To what does Theo compare this first day at Hill House?
(a) The first day of a new job
(b) The first day of school
(c) The first day of camp
(d) The first appointment with a new doctor
3. How did Hugh Crain's first wife die?
(a) She died of tuberculosis.
(b) She had a heart attack the first time she saw Hill House.
(c) Her carriage overturned while making a turn in the driveway at Hill House.
(d) She fell from the tower at Hill House.
4. Who leaves the house at six every night?
(c) Mrs. Dudley
5. What does Eleanor say as she wakes from a dream?
(a) Journeys end in lovers meeting.
(b) I'll leave.
(c) I want to believe.
(d) I'm coming, Mother.
6. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She is a professional ghost hunter.
(c) She is psychic.
(d) She is his wife.
7. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
(a) To ask questions about Hill House
(b) To ask about Dr. Montague
(c) To ask about the local night life
(d) To prolong her journey
8. Who did Eleanor care for for eleven years?
(a) Her father
(b) Her sister
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her mother
9. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke?
(a) Dr. Montague treats Luke with the respect his position affords him.
(b) Dr. Montague treats Luke almost like a servant.
(c) Dr. Montague treats Luke like a son.
(d) Dr. Montague treats Luke with indifference.
10. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
(a) To keep the house safe.
(b) To keep an eye on Dr. Montague.
(c) To keep him out of trouble.
(d) To find him a wife.
11. Who offers to pray for Eleanor?
(a) Her sister
(b) The little girl in the restaurant
(c) The waitress in Hillsdale
(d) An old woman she accidentally knocked over
12. What is Eleanor forced to steal when she leaves home?
(a) A wardrobe of clothes
(b) An expensive suitcase
(c) A car she co-owns with her sister
(d) A credit card to pay for gas
13. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
(a) Since their childhoods
(b) Since the death of Mr. Crain
(c) Since the last tenants left
(d) Since the Sandersons took possession
14. When does Dr. Montague suggest Eleanor should leave the house?
(a) If she feels the house latching onto her.
(b) If she begins to feel uneasy.
(c) If trouble begins to take place.
(d) If she is frightened.
15. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
(a) Because every angle in the house is irregular.
(b) Because the doors were hung improperly.
(c) Because a ghost is pushing them closed.
(d) Because the architect was inferior, causing many irregularties in the house's structure.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Theo advise Eleanor to dress?
2. Why does Eleanor refuse to leave Hill House before going inside?
3. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
4. Who committed suicide in Hill House?
5. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)