|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eleanor stop for coffee in Hillsdale?
(a) To ask about Dr. Montague
(b) To prolong her journey
(c) To ask about the local night life
(d) To ask questions about Hill House
2. Who opens the door?
(a) Dr. Montague
(d) Mrs. Dudley
3. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
(a) A dog barking.
(b) A crashing sound.
(d) A child crying.
4. What room does Eleanor refuse to enter as they explore the house?
(a) The study.
(b) The nursery.
(c) The library.
(d) The game room.
5. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
(a) A cup of moons
(b) A pink cup
(c) A cup of stars
(d) A cup with bears on it
6. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
(a) To stay away
(b) To take a gun when visiting
(c) To never stay overnight
(d) To only go there with a psychic
7. What words come to Eleanor's mind when she sees Hill House?
(a) Large and attractive
(b) Happy and decorative
(c) Vile and diseased
(d) Ugly and old
8. How does Eleanor plan to change her behavior?
(a) Eleanor plans to act more reserved.
(b) Eleanor plans to be more friendly.
(c) Eleanor plans to be more helpful.
(d) Eleanor plans to be more open.
9. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
(a) A green house
(b) A babbling brook
(c) A flourishing garden
(d) A garage full of fancy cars
10. What color is Eleanor's room?
11. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
(a) Eleanor finds his flirting silly.
(b) Eleanor finds him to be unfriendly.
(c) Eleanor finds his flirting flattering.
(d) Eleanor finds him to be rude.
12. What does the aunt say about Luke?
(a) He is a drunk.
(b) He is handy with tools.
(c) He is dishonest and unreliable.
(d) He is kind and generous.
13. What is Eleanor surprised by when she wakes the following morning?
(a) That she is no longer afraid of the house.
(b) That she did not have nightmares as she commonly does.
(c) That she slept so well in Hill House.
(d) That nothing happened during the night.
14. With whom does Eleanor live ?
(a) Her mother
(b) Her sister
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her father
15. What does Dr. Montague hope to do with the information their investigation will gather?
(a) Write an academic book chronicalling supernatural manifestation in the house his colleagues will respect.
(b) Write a historical book about the land the house sits on and its role in supernatural manifestations.
(c) Write a historical book about the family who once owned the house.
(d) Write a fictional book about the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
2. What warning does Mrs. Dudley offer Eleanor?
3. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
4. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
5. Where is the spiral staircase located?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)