|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Theo see Eleanor?
(a) Theo sees Eleanor as weak and unstable.
(b) Theo sees Eleanor as funny and outgoing.
(c) Theo sees Eleanor as drab and unexciting.
(d) Theo sees Eleanor as a kindred spirit.
2. Who tries to stop Eleanor from going through the gates at Hill House?
(a) Mr. Dudley
(b) Dr. Montague
(c) Mrs. Dudley
(d) Luke Sanderson
3. How does Dr. Montague treat Luke?
(a) Dr. Montague treats Luke with the respect his position affords him.
(b) Dr. Montague treats Luke with indifference.
(c) Dr. Montague treats Luke almost like a servant.
(d) Dr. Montague treats Luke like a son.
4. Why does Eleanor refuse to leave Hill House before going inside?
(a) She does not want to disappoint Dr. Montague.
(b) She does not want to miss out on an adventure.
(c) She does not want Mr. Dudley to laugh at her.
(d) She does not want to return to her sister's house.
5. Where is the spiral staircase located?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) In the study.
(c) In the library.
(d) In the game room.
6. Why is Theo's window not above the front door as it should be?
(a) Crain designed the house to have many optical illusions.
(b) Crain had every angle of the house designed to be slightly off kilter.
(c) Because the architect did not follow the plans correctly, causing several irregularities.
(d) Because her bedroom is not above the front door as she thought.
7. What does the aunt say about Luke?
(a) He is dishonest and unreliable.
(b) He is kind and generous.
(c) He is handy with tools.
(d) He is a drunk.
8. What does Dr. Montague warn Eleanor not to talk about if she stops in Hillsdale?
(a) Hill House
(b) Dr. Montague's investigation
(c) Ghost stories
(d) The Crain family
9. How long have the Dudleys worked at Hill House?
(a) Since their childhoods
(b) Since the Sandersons took possession
(c) Since the last tenants left
(d) Since the death of Mr. Crain
10. How does Theo introduce herself?
(a) As a psychic
(b) As a professional athlete
(c) As a lord's daughter masquerading as a commoner
(d) As a nightclub singer
11. How does Theo react to Luke?
(a) Theo brushes Luke off.
(b) Theo teases Luke.
(c) Theo tell Luke not to waste his time, she is taken.
(d) Theo responds to his flirting.
12. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
13. Where does the spiral staircase lead?
(a) To Hugh Crain's bedroom.
(b) To the upper floors.
(c) To a private study.
(d) To the tower balcony.
14. Why does Dr. Montague send a letter to Eleanor Vance?
(a) Eleanor is psychic.
(b) Eleanor had an experience with a poltergeist as a child.
(c) Eleanor lived in a haunted house as a child.
(d) Eleanor owns the house Dr. Montague is investigating.
15. What does Theo theorize the house contains?
(a) A basement full of rats
(b) A closet full of skeletons
(c) An evil spirit
(d) Secret passageways filled with treasure
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Theo and Eleanor find on their walk on the grounds?
2. Who greets the women when they return to the house?
3. What is Eleanor's impression of the waitress at the diner in Hillsdale?
4. Who leaves the house at six every night?
5. Who provides directions to Hill House?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)