|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who committed suicide in Hill House?
(a) The other daughter.
(b) The son.
(c) The widow.
(d) The young companion.
2. What does Eleanor dislike her sister for?
(a) Not allowing her to take the car
(b) Not allowing her to have a new suitcase
(c) Not giving her a room of her own
(d) Not helping with her mother
3. How does Eleanor introduce herself?
(a) As a caretaker
(b) As a nurse
(c) As an unemployed actress
(d) As an artist's model
4. Why does Theo make jokes with Eleanor?
(a) To take her mind off of the noises in the house.
(b) To distract her while Theo steals her clothes.
(c) To make friends.
(d) To help her overcome her fear.
5. How many responses does Dr. Montague get to his letter searching for possible assistants?
6. What happened to the last person who attempted to leave Hill House after dark?
(a) His horse bolted into a tree in a turn in the drive.
(b) His car drove off a cliff.
(c) The town thought he was insane and put him in the hospital.
(d) He lost his fortune in the stock market.
7. With what does Eleanor deny having experiences?
(d) Haunted houses
8. How does Hill House affect Eleanor?
(a) Eleanor is blissfully unaware of the evil around her.
(b) Eleanor is happy to just be out of her sister's house.
(c) Eleanor is paralyzed with fear.
(d) Eleanor is enthusiastic about the investigation.
9. What guards the entrance to the nursery?
(a) A cold spot.
(b) A set of armor.
(c) A teddy bear.
(d) A poltergeist.
10. What is Eleanor's impression of the waitress at the diner in Hillsdale?
(a) She is a threat to Eleanor's hopes of finding a boyfriend.
(b) She is pretty.
(c) She is unfriendly, especially when Hill House is mentioned.
(d) She is open and eager to talk about Hill House.
11. What is significant about Theo's calling the shadow a rabbit?
(a) Theo thinks of Eleanor as a rabbit, ripe to be manipulated.
(b) Theo saw a rabbit seconds before the shadow, confusing the two.
(c) Theo likes rabbits.
(d) Theo has a pet rabbit, so the comparison makes her feel better.
12. What emotion does Theo detect in Eleanor?
13. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
(a) Imagines life at Hill House
(b) Daydreams of a better life
(c) Talks to her dead mother
(d) Sings along to the radio
14. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
(a) She is a professional ghost hunter.
(b) She is psychic.
(c) She is pretty.
(d) She is his wife.
15. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
(a) To keep him out of trouble.
(b) To find him a wife.
(c) To keep an eye on Dr. Montague.
(d) To keep the house safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words come to Eleanor's mind when she sees Hill House?
2. What warning did Dr. Montague receive about Hill House?
3. Who refuses to stay in the house after dark?
4. How does Theo react to Luke?
5. What does Eleanor think of Luke when they first meet?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)