|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eleanor believe her sister and brother-in-law would never expect her to do?
(a) Make friends.
(b) Stay in a haunted house.
(c) Buy bright colored clothes.
(d) Steal the car.
2. What does Eleanor do on the ride to Hill House?
(a) Imagines life at Hill House
(b) Daydreams of a better life
(c) Talks to her dead mother
(d) Sings along to the radio
3. What time is dinner served?
(c) Six sharp
(d) Five sharp
4. How does Theo introduce herself?
(a) As a lord's daughter masquerading as a commoner
(b) As a nightclub singer
(c) As a professional athlete
(d) As a psychic
5. What is significant about Theo's calling the shadow a rabbit?
(a) Theo likes rabbits.
(b) Theo saw a rabbit seconds before the shadow, confusing the two.
(c) Theo thinks of Eleanor as a rabbit, ripe to be manipulated.
(d) Theo has a pet rabbit, so the comparison makes her feel better.
6. Why has Dr. Montague brought Theo to Hill House?
(a) She is pretty.
(b) She is psychic.
(c) She is his wife.
(d) She is a professional ghost hunter.
7. What emotion does Theo detect in Eleanor?
8. Who offers to pray for Eleanor?
(a) The little girl in the restaurant
(b) Her sister
(c) The waitress in Hillsdale
(d) An old woman she accidentally knocked over
9. What kind of cup does Eleanor hear a little girl cry over?
(a) A cup with bears on it
(b) A pink cup
(c) A cup of stars
(d) A cup of moons
10. What do Theo and Eleanor think will disappoint Mrs. Dudley?
(a) That they did not make their beds.
(b) That they do not plan to help with the housework.
(c) That they do not plan to have breakfast.
(d) That they survived the night.
11. Dr. Montague's doctorate is in __________________.
12. Who arrives at Hill House behind Eleanor?
(b) Dr. Montague
13. Why does Dr. Montague invite Luke Sanderson to the house?
(a) Luke is psychic.
(b) Luke's family owns the house.
(c) Luke lived in a haunted house as a child.
(d) Luke had an experience with poltergeist as a child.
14. What words come to Eleanor's mind when she sees Hill House?
(a) Happy and decorative
(b) Large and attractive
(c) Ugly and old
(d) Vile and diseased
15. What is Eleanor's impression of the waitress at the diner in Hillsdale?
(a) She is a threat to Eleanor's hopes of finding a boyfriend.
(b) She is pretty.
(c) She is open and eager to talk about Hill House.
(d) She is unfriendly, especially when Hill House is mentioned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise do Theo and Eleanor hear?
2. What did Eleanor buy for this trip to Hill House?
3. Why does Luke's aunt send him to stay with Dr. Montague at Hill House?
4. What is Eleanor's prevailing emotion as she is left alone in her room?
5. Why does Dr. Montague believe the doors swing shut on their own?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)