* Dr. John Montague,a doctor of anthropology with a passion for supernatural manifestation, has rented Hill House for the summer because of stories that it is haunted.
* Dr. Montague searches for and hires two assistants as well as inviting a member of the family that owns the house to help him with his investigation into the supernatural nature of the house.
* Luke Sanderson is the family's representative. The family sends Luke, a ladies man, to spend the summer with Dr. Montague because they hope it will keep him occupied.
* Theodora is a psychic who views her abilities and the stories of Hill House as amusing.
* Theodora accepts Dr. Montague's invitation because of a fight with her roommate.
* Eleanor Vance, Dr. Montague's new assistant, spent eleven years caring for her dying mother.
* Eleanor lives with her sister and her family despite a poor relationship based on the lack...
This section contains 1,833 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)