|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Iff drop into the acidic water?
2. What do Haroun and Rashid wear to keep warm?
3. Who is Mudra?
4. What language does Mudra speak?
5. What is unique about Shadows in Chup?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
2. Describe the Dark Ship.
3. Describe Mudra.
4. What does the Gup army look like?
5. How does Haroun feel when he is captured by Khattam-Shud's men?
6. What happens when Haroun puts Butt the Hoopoe's mechanical brain back in Butt's head?
7. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
8. What happens to the citizens of Chup after Khattam-Shud is vanquished?
9. Why does Khattam-Shud divulge his plans to Haroun?
10. Why do some residents of Gup disapprove of Prince Bolo's reasons to go to war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence and war are minor themes in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Toward the end of the story, the cities of Gup and Chup go to war. Write an essay that explores how Salman Rushie is able to convey the ideas of war without extreme violence. Where do most of the casualties of the war come from? How does Salman Rushie convey the idea of battle without bloodshed? Does he show more sympathy for one side than the other? Is his version of war realistic? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist is the most important character to the plot. Without Haroun there would be no "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Write an essay that explores the different aspects of Haroun's character. What is Haroun like at the beginning of the story? How does his character evolve as the story progresses and he is forced overcome obstacles and problems? How do his interactions with different characters change as the plot progresses? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Blabbermouth is strongest and most important female character in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". She is the only one who plays a pivotal role in the saving of Kahani. Write an essay that explores Blabbermouth's character from a feminist perspective. Why is she a strong feminist character? What are her beliefs on work and society? How is she different from other female characters like Princess Batcheat and Soraya? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)