|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mali manage to escape capture?
2. Which character offers Blabbermouth a new job?
3. What is a darkbulb?
4. Why does Khattam-Shud let poison stew for a while before using it?
5. What does Haroun wish for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blabbermouth think of Mudra?
2. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
3. What do Laminations look like and what purpose do they serve?
4. What happens when Haroun puts Butt the Hoopoe's mechanical brain back in Butt's head?
5. Describe Mudra.
6. Why does Khattam-Shud divulge his plans to Haroun?
7. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
8. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
9. How does Haroun feel when he is captured by Khattam-Shud's men?
10. Describe the language Mudra communicates with.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The protagonist is the most important character to the plot. Without Haroun there would be no "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Write an essay that explores the different aspects of Haroun's character. What is Haroun like at the beginning of the story? How does his character evolve as the story progresses and he is forced overcome obstacles and problems? How do his interactions with different characters change as the plot progresses? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Haroun uses many unusual inventions to help him along his journey. These items do not exist in the real world, nor do they exist back on Earth. Write an essay that explores some of the inventions mentioned in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Which invention does Haroun use the most? Which invention does he use the least? Why is the Bite-a-light important to his escape while on the Dark Ship? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
The world of Kahani features many literary-themed components. Among these are the Pages of the Gup Army, and the Sea of Stories itself. Write an essay that explains how writing and literature is important to Earth's second watery moon, Kahani. How does the name Kahani itself tie into the themes of literature and writing? Why are the Pages of the Gup Army organized into Chapters and Volumes? How does the Stream of Stories work and what is its purpose? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)