|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Haroun and Rashid back to the houseboat?
2. What happens when sunlight touches the Citadel in Chup?
3. What are poison blenders used for?
4. What story does Rashid tell the audience at the rally?
5. Who does Haroun suspect Khattam-Shud has in his custody?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the language Mudra communicates with.
2. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
3. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
4. Why do some residents of Gup disapprove of Prince Bolo's reasons to go to war?
5. Why is Blabbermouth able to snatch the bomb away from the messenger before it is able to detonate?
6. Describe Mudra.
7. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
8. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
9. What happens to the citizens of Chup after Khattam-Shud is vanquished?
10. What happens to Plentimaw Fishes as the Ocean becomes more and more poisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Haroun uses many unusual inventions to help him along his journey. These items do not exist in the real world, nor do they exist back on Earth. Write an essay that explores some of the inventions mentioned in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Which invention does Haroun use the most? Which invention does he use the least? Why is the Bite-a-light important to his escape while on the Dark Ship? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
By far the most prevalent theme in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is that of imagination and fantasy. Rashid is known as the Shah of Blah and the Ocean of Notions, and he is the one from which many stories flow. It is through him that Haroun is first introduced to the ideas of Moody Land and other such fantastical elements. Write an essay that explains why fantasy and imagination are important to the plot of the story. How do Rashid's stories help the protagonist, Haroun, throughout his journey? In what way does fantasy blend with reality to create something greater? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
The Cult of Bezaban worships a giant idol in the Citadel of Chup City. Khattam-Shud is both the overlord of the cult as well as the leader of Chup itself. Write an essay the explains the details of the Cult of Bezaban and its ties to Khattam-Shud. What exactly is the Cult of Bezaban? What do the members of the cult believe in? What is the symbol for the cult? Why is Khattam-Shud the leader of it? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)