|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who volunteers to act as a spy for the Gup army?
2. How is Khattam-Shud killed?
3. Who does Haroun wonder about at the end of Chapter 10?
4. A Shadow Warrior always has what with them?
5. What does Haroun wish for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some residents of Gup disapprove of Prince Bolo's reasons to go to war?
2. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
3. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
4. What is a Shadow Warrior?
5. Describe Mudra.
6. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
7. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
8. What happens when Haroun enters the P2C2E house?
9. Why is Butt the Hoopoe seemingly immune to the poisonous waters of the Ocean?
10. Describe the Dark Ship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of happiness is prevalent throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". After all is said and done, and the Walrus offers Haroun a favor, he asks for a happy ending for everyone. Write an essay that explains why happiness is important to Haroun. Is Haroun typically an unhappy person? Why does he wish for happiness? Who is he thinking of when he makes his request to the Walrus? Does the Walrus agree that happiness is a good thing? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Haroun uses many unusual inventions to help him along his journey. These items do not exist in the real world, nor do they exist back on Earth. Write an essay that explores some of the inventions mentioned in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Which invention does Haroun use the most? Which invention does he use the least? Why is the Bite-a-light important to his escape while on the Dark Ship? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
Salman Rushdie named many of his characters and locations after Hindustani words and figures. Haroun himself is named after a legendary figure of Baghdad. Write an essay that explains which characters and locations were derived from Hindustani, and what their meanings are. How did Salman Rushdie relate these characters to their real life meanings? Are the characters in the book privy to this information? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)