|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haroun find by his pillow?
2. How is Khattam-Shud killed?
3. What is the first thing Haroun does when he gets back to the houseboat?
4. How do pages arrange themselves?
5. What is the name of Haroun's home city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some residents of Gup disapprove of Prince Bolo's reasons to go to war?
2. Describe Mudra.
3. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
4. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
5. What happens when Haroun puts Butt the Hoopoe's mechanical brain back in Butt's head?
6. What does Blabbermouth think of Mudra?
7. Why does Khattam-Shud divulge his plans to Haroun?
8. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
9. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
10. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By far the most prevalent theme in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is that of imagination and fantasy. Rashid is known as the Shah of Blah and the Ocean of Notions, and he is the one from which many stories flow. It is through him that Haroun is first introduced to the ideas of Moody Land and other such fantastical elements. Write an essay that explains why fantasy and imagination are important to the plot of the story. How do Rashid's stories help the protagonist, Haroun, throughout his journey? In what way does fantasy blend with reality to create something greater? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Writing style is an important element of fiction writing. "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is no exception. Write an essay that explores the writing style of the author, Salman Rushdie. Address various components of writing such as perspective, sentence structure, diction, and grammar in your work. Explain how these things contribute to the flow of the narrative. Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
There are many symbols throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The Ocean itself is one of them. Write an essay that explores the idea of the Ocean as a symbol. Why is the Ocean a symbol? What does it represent to the people of Gup City? Why is it important? Who is the Ocean most important to? What do the citizens of Kahani use the Ocean for? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)