|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Khattam-Shud's voice like his subjects?
2. Where are Haroun and his companions taken by the enemy?
3. What does Haroun find by his pillow?
4. How many connector leads does Haroun have to connect Butt's brain box to?
5. What do "nosewarmers" look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Dark Ship.
2. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
3. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
4. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
5. What does Blabbermouth think of Mudra?
6. What does Khattam-Shud look like?
7. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
8. What does the Gup army look like?
9. How does Haroun feel when he is captured by Khattam-Shud's men?
10. What happens to the citizens of Chup after Khattam-Shud is vanquished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The world of Kahani is fictitious and at the same time real in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The author, Salman Rushdie, goes into great detail explaining how such a place would exist. Write an essay that explores the fictitious world of Kahani. What kind of place is Kahani? What does it look like and what is it made of? Why is it invisible to the people of Earth? What type of people and creatures live on Kahani? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
By far the most prevalent theme in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is that of imagination and fantasy. Rashid is known as the Shah of Blah and the Ocean of Notions, and he is the one from which many stories flow. It is through him that Haroun is first introduced to the ideas of Moody Land and other such fantastical elements. Write an essay that explains why fantasy and imagination are important to the plot of the story. How do Rashid's stories help the protagonist, Haroun, throughout his journey? In what way does fantasy blend with reality to create something greater? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
Every adventure story must have its hero. Haroun is the hero of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Yet even though he saves Kahani, he does not think of himself as a savior. Write an essay that explains why Haroun is a hero to the people of Kahani. What is a hero? What makes Haroun a hero? Why does he not think of himself as heroic? Why do the citizens of Gup appreciate him? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)