|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mali manage to escape capture?
2. How does Haroun feel when he is captured?
3. What happens when the Guppee army enters Chup City?
4. Which item did Haroun forget he had in his pocket the whole time?
5. What do "nosewarmers" look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
2. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
3. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
4. Why is Butt the Hoopoe seemingly immune to the poisonous waters of the Ocean?
5. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
6. What does the Gup army look like?
7. Describe the Dark Ship.
8. What happens to Plentimaw Fishes as the Ocean becomes more and more poisoned?
9. What do Laminations look like and what purpose do they serve?
10. What happens when Haroun enters the P2C2E house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence and war are minor themes in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Toward the end of the story, the cities of Gup and Chup go to war. Write an essay that explores how Salman Rushie is able to convey the ideas of war without extreme violence. Where do most of the casualties of the war come from? How does Salman Rushie convey the idea of battle without bloodshed? Does he show more sympathy for one side than the other? Is his version of war realistic? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Haroun uses many unusual inventions to help him along his journey. These items do not exist in the real world, nor do they exist back on Earth. Write an essay that explores some of the inventions mentioned in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Which invention does Haroun use the most? Which invention does he use the least? Why is the Bite-a-light important to his escape while on the Dark Ship? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
The world of Kahani is fictitious and at the same time real in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The author, Salman Rushdie, goes into great detail explaining how such a place would exist. Write an essay that explores the fictitious world of Kahani. What kind of place is Kahani? What does it look like and what is it made of? Why is it invisible to the people of Earth? What type of people and creatures live on Kahani? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)