|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mudra speak?
2. How many connector leads does Haroun have to connect Butt's brain box to?
3. What happens when the Guppee army enters Chup City?
4. What does Iff drop into the acidic water?
5. What story does Rashid tell the audience at the rally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Plentimaw Fishes as the Ocean becomes more and more poisoned?
2. Describe the Dark Ship.
3. What does Khattam-Shud look like?
4. What do Laminations look like and what purpose do they serve?
5. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
6. How does Haroun feel when he is captured by Khattam-Shud's men?
7. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
8. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
9. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
10. What happens to the citizens of Chup after Khattam-Shud is vanquished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cult of Bezaban worships a giant idol in the Citadel of Chup City. Khattam-Shud is both the overlord of the cult as well as the leader of Chup itself. Write an essay the explains the details of the Cult of Bezaban and its ties to Khattam-Shud. What exactly is the Cult of Bezaban? What do the members of the cult believe in? What is the symbol for the cult? Why is Khattam-Shud the leader of it? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
Salman Rushdie named many of his characters and locations after Hindustani words and figures. Haroun himself is named after a legendary figure of Baghdad. Write an essay that explains which characters and locations were derived from Hindustani, and what their meanings are. How did Salman Rushdie relate these characters to their real life meanings? Are the characters in the book privy to this information? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
Blabbermouth is strongest and most important female character in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". She is the only one who plays a pivotal role in the saving of Kahani. Write an essay that explores Blabbermouth's character from a feminist perspective. Why is she a strong feminist character? What are her beliefs on work and society? How is she different from other female characters like Princess Batcheat and Soraya? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)