|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character knows how to speak Mudra's language?
2. What is wrong with Batcheat's singing?
3. What happens when the Guppee army enters Chup City?
4. How many Chupwala Warriors capture Haroun and his companions?
5. What does Iff drop into the acidic water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Plentimaw Fishes as the Ocean becomes more and more poisoned?
2. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
3. Describe the Dark Ship.
4. What is a Shadow Warrior?
5. What happens when Haroun puts Butt the Hoopoe's mechanical brain back in Butt's head?
6. Describe the language Mudra communicates with.
7. What happens to the citizens of Chup after Khattam-Shud is vanquished?
8. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
9. What does the Gup army look like?
10. Why does Khattam-Shud divulge his plans to Haroun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is yet another reoccurring theme in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Romantic love can be exemplified in the relationship Prince Bolo and Princess Batcheat share. Meanwhile the love of friendship can be seen in the relationships between other minor characters. Write an essay that explains why love is important to the plot of the story. How do romantic love and the love of friendship differ? Why do Prince Bolo and Princess Batcheat share a relationship that revolves around romantic love? What role does love play in the evolution of Haroun's character? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
By far the most prevalent theme in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is that of imagination and fantasy. Rashid is known as the Shah of Blah and the Ocean of Notions, and he is the one from which many stories flow. It is through him that Haroun is first introduced to the ideas of Moody Land and other such fantastical elements. Write an essay that explains why fantasy and imagination are important to the plot of the story. How do Rashid's stories help the protagonist, Haroun, throughout his journey? In what way does fantasy blend with reality to create something greater? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
Haroun uses many unusual inventions to help him along his journey. These items do not exist in the real world, nor do they exist back on Earth. Write an essay that explores some of the inventions mentioned in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Which invention does Haroun use the most? Which invention does he use the least? Why is the Bite-a-light important to his escape while on the Dark Ship? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)