|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the jackets the Eggheads wear?
2. What does Haroun find by his pillow?
3. Which character knows how to speak Mudra's language?
4. Why does Haroun say he knows Khattam-Shud?
5. What does Iff drop into the acidic water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Haroun feel when he is captured by Khattam-Shud's men?
2. Why does Khattam-Shud divulge his plans to Haroun?
3. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
4. Describe the Dark Ship.
5. What happens to the citizens of Chup after Khattam-Shud is vanquished?
6. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
7. What does the Gup army look like?
8. What does Blabbermouth think of Mudra?
9. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
10. What is a Shadow Warrior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is yet another reoccurring theme in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Romantic love can be exemplified in the relationship Prince Bolo and Princess Batcheat share. Meanwhile the love of friendship can be seen in the relationships between other minor characters. Write an essay that explains why love is important to the plot of the story. How do romantic love and the love of friendship differ? Why do Prince Bolo and Princess Batcheat share a relationship that revolves around romantic love? What role does love play in the evolution of Haroun's character? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Family is an important aspect of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Much of the plot revolves around the adventures of Haroun and his father, Rashid. Write an essay that explores the concept of family within the context of the plot. Why is Rashid important to the story? What role does he play both in Haroun's life, and also in the saving of Kahani? Why is Haroun's mother, Soraya, absent for most of the book? Does Haroun and Rashid miss Soraya? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Salman Rushdie named many of his characters and locations after Hindustani words and figures. Haroun himself is named after a legendary figure of Baghdad. Write an essay that explains which characters and locations were derived from Hindustani, and what their meanings are. How did Salman Rushdie relate these characters to their real life meanings? Are the characters in the book privy to this information? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)