|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shadow Warriors are known as being what?
2. Where are Haroun and his companions taken by the enemy?
3. What is a darkbulb?
4. Who does Haroun suspect Khattam-Shud has in his custody?
5. Why do Shadow Warriors sound strange when they speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Plentimaw Fishes as the Ocean becomes more and more poisoned?
2. What happens when Haroun enters the P2C2E house?
3. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
4. What does Blabbermouth think of Mudra?
5. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
6. What does the Gup army look like?
7. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
8. What happens when Haroun puts Butt the Hoopoe's mechanical brain back in Butt's head?
9. Describe the Dark Ship.
10. Why is Blabbermouth able to snatch the bomb away from the messenger before it is able to detonate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Writing style is an important element of fiction writing. "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is no exception. Write an essay that explores the writing style of the author, Salman Rushdie. Address various components of writing such as perspective, sentence structure, diction, and grammar in your work. Explain how these things contribute to the flow of the narrative. Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
Haroun uses many unusual inventions to help him along his journey. These items do not exist in the real world, nor do they exist back on Earth. Write an essay that explores some of the inventions mentioned in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Which invention does Haroun use the most? Which invention does he use the least? Why is the Bite-a-light important to his escape while on the Dark Ship? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
Salman Rushdie named many of his characters and locations after Hindustani words and figures. Haroun himself is named after a legendary figure of Baghdad. Write an essay that explains which characters and locations were derived from Hindustani, and what their meanings are. How did Salman Rushdie relate these characters to their real life meanings? Are the characters in the book privy to this information? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)