|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prince Bolo ride into battle?
2. What does Haroun find by his pillow?
3. Is Khattam-Shud's voice like his subjects?
4. Who brings Haroun and Rashid back to the houseboat?
5. What do "nosewarmers" look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
2. Why is Butt the Hoopoe seemingly immune to the poisonous waters of the Ocean?
3. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
4. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
5. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
6. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
7. What is a Shadow Warrior?
8. Why do some residents of Gup disapprove of Prince Bolo's reasons to go to war?
9. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
10. Describe the Dark Ship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is important to several of the characters in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Snooty Buttoo in particular values money and possessions above many other things in life. Write an essay that explores the theme of money within the context of the plot. Why does Snooty Buttoo value money and things like his houseboat? Are Haroun and Rashid impressed by grandiose material possessions? Are they themselves rich or poor? What is their opinion of money and do they care for finance? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
By far the most prevalent theme in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is that of imagination and fantasy. Rashid is known as the Shah of Blah and the Ocean of Notions, and he is the one from which many stories flow. It is through him that Haroun is first introduced to the ideas of Moody Land and other such fantastical elements. Write an essay that explains why fantasy and imagination are important to the plot of the story. How do Rashid's stories help the protagonist, Haroun, throughout his journey? In what way does fantasy blend with reality to create something greater? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
Writing style is an important element of fiction writing. "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is no exception. Write an essay that explores the writing style of the author, Salman Rushdie. Address various components of writing such as perspective, sentence structure, diction, and grammar in your work. Explain how these things contribute to the flow of the narrative. Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)