|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who oversees the new government of Chup?
2. What happens to the water the closer Haroun gets to Chup territory?
3. What is the name of the device Iff gives Haroun?
4. Why does Prince Bolo get angry with Blabbermouth?
5. Who steals the Disconnector back from Haroun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
2. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
3. What is a Shadow Warrior?
4. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
5. Describe Mudra.
6. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
7. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
8. What happens to Plentimaw Fishes as the Ocean becomes more and more poisoned?
9. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
10. Why do some residents of Gup disapprove of Prince Bolo's reasons to go to war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blabbermouth is strongest and most important female character in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". She is the only one who plays a pivotal role in the saving of Kahani. Write an essay that explores Blabbermouth's character from a feminist perspective. Why is she a strong feminist character? What are her beliefs on work and society? How is she different from other female characters like Princess Batcheat and Soraya? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
The Cult of Bezaban worships a giant idol in the Citadel of Chup City. Khattam-Shud is both the overlord of the cult as well as the leader of Chup itself. Write an essay the explains the details of the Cult of Bezaban and its ties to Khattam-Shud. What exactly is the Cult of Bezaban? What do the members of the cult believe in? What is the symbol for the cult? Why is Khattam-Shud the leader of it? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
One of the most central themes in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is that of good versus evil. Throughout Haroun's time on Kahani, he learns of the struggles between the good people of Gup and the evil darkness of Chup. Write an essay that explores the theme of good versus evil within the context of the story. How do the people of Gup City view the people of Chup City? Do the people of Gup have legitimate reasons for worrying about the land past the Twilight Strip? Are all citizens of Chup evil? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)