|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Chupwala Warriors capture Haroun and his companions?
2. Where was Batcheat being held?
3. Why does Khattam-Shud let poison stew for a while before using it?
4. How do pages arrange themselves?
5. What color are the jackets the Eggheads wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mudra.
2. What happens to the citizens of Chup after Khattam-Shud is vanquished?
3. What happens when Haroun puts Butt the Hoopoe's mechanical brain back in Butt's head?
4. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
5. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
6. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
7. Describe the Dark Ship.
8. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
9. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
10. What does Khattam-Shud look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Haroun and the Sea of Stories" concludes with a happy ending. Haroun and Rashid return home a success, Rashid is able to tell stories once more. Soraya returns home after realizing the faults of Mr. Sengupta, and the citizens of the sad city now remember the city's name. Write an essay that explores the conclusion of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". What happens when Haroun goes to sleep after his return home? Why does he tell Butt the Hoopoe that he does not want to go anywhere? Does Butt understand his reasons for not wanting to go anywhere? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
Haroun and Blabbermouth share a relationship that is unique to the other characters. Both characters are nearly the same age and they have an ongoing struggle that exists within the foundations of their friendship. Write an essay that explains why Haroun and Blabbermouth's friendship is important to the plot of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". What do Haroun and Blabbermouth have in common other than their age? Why do Haroun and Blabbermouth constantly struggle and bicker with one another? Could their relationship every flourish into love? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Every adventure story must have its hero. Haroun is the hero of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Yet even though he saves Kahani, he does not think of himself as a savior. Write an essay that explains why Haroun is a hero to the people of Kahani. What is a hero? What makes Haroun a hero? Why does he not think of himself as heroic? Why do the citizens of Gup appreciate him? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)