|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Batcheat being held?
2. Why does Khattam-Shud let poison stew for a while before using it?
3. Is Khattam-Shud's voice like his subjects?
4. What does Khattam-Shud look like according to Haroun?
5. What does Prince Bolo ride into battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Khattam-Shud divulge his plans to Haroun?
2. Describe Mudra.
3. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
4. Describe the Dark Ship.
5. Why is Blabbermouth able to snatch the bomb away from the messenger before it is able to detonate?
6. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
7. How does Haroun feel when he is captured by Khattam-Shud's men?
8. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
9. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
10. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The world of Kahani features many literary-themed components. Among these are the Pages of the Gup Army, and the Sea of Stories itself. Write an essay that explains how writing and literature is important to Earth's second watery moon, Kahani. How does the name Kahani itself tie into the themes of literature and writing? Why are the Pages of the Gup Army organized into Chapters and Volumes? How does the Stream of Stories work and what is its purpose? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Khattam-Shud is the antagonist of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". He is an evil man with a rotten core and dubious ambitions. Write an essay that explores the character of Khattam-Shud. What makes him the antagonist of the story? What are some of his beliefs when it comes to stories and imagination? What is his ultimate goal? What does he want for Earth's second watery moon, Kahani? Does he view the people of Gup as a threat? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of happiness is prevalent throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". After all is said and done, and the Walrus offers Haroun a favor, he asks for a happy ending for everyone. Write an essay that explains why happiness is important to Haroun. Is Haroun typically an unhappy person? Why does he wish for happiness? Who is he thinking of when he makes his request to the Walrus? Does the Walrus agree that happiness is a good thing? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)