|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shadow Warriors are known as being what?
2. What do Haroun and Rashid wear to keep warm?
3. What is the poison being kept in?
4. Which character knows how to speak Mudra's language?
5. What does Blabbermouth think of Mudra?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Butt the Hoopoe seemingly immune to the poisonous waters of the Ocean?
2. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
3. What does Blabbermouth think of Mudra?
4. What is a Shadow Warrior?
5. What happens to the citizens of Chup after Khattam-Shud is vanquished?
6. What happens when Haroun puts Butt the Hoopoe's mechanical brain back in Butt's head?
7. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
8. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
9. What happens when Haroun enters the P2C2E house?
10. What do Laminations look like and what purpose do they serve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of happiness is prevalent throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". After all is said and done, and the Walrus offers Haroun a favor, he asks for a happy ending for everyone. Write an essay that explains why happiness is important to Haroun. Is Haroun typically an unhappy person? Why does he wish for happiness? Who is he thinking of when he makes his request to the Walrus? Does the Walrus agree that happiness is a good thing? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Family is an important aspect of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Much of the plot revolves around the adventures of Haroun and his father, Rashid. Write an essay that explores the concept of family within the context of the plot. Why is Rashid important to the story? What role does he play both in Haroun's life, and also in the saving of Kahani? Why is Haroun's mother, Soraya, absent for most of the book? Does Haroun and Rashid miss Soraya? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Blabbermouth is strongest and most important female character in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". She is the only one who plays a pivotal role in the saving of Kahani. Write an essay that explores Blabbermouth's character from a feminist perspective. Why is she a strong feminist character? What are her beliefs on work and society? How is she different from other female characters like Princess Batcheat and Soraya? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)