|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color nosewarmers do Pages of Gup wear?
2. Where was Batcheat being held?
3. What does Prince Bolo ride into battle?
4. What does Haroun find by his pillow?
5. What is a Shadow Warrior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Laminations look like and what purpose do they serve?
2. Why is Butt the Hoopoe seemingly immune to the poisonous waters of the Ocean?
3. What happens when Haroun enters the P2C2E house?
4. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
5. What does Khattam-Shud look like?
6. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
7. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
8. What happens when Haroun puts Butt the Hoopoe's mechanical brain back in Butt's head?
9. Why is Blabbermouth able to snatch the bomb away from the messenger before it is able to detonate?
10. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is important to several of the characters in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Snooty Buttoo in particular values money and possessions above many other things in life. Write an essay that explores the theme of money within the context of the plot. Why does Snooty Buttoo value money and things like his houseboat? Are Haroun and Rashid impressed by grandiose material possessions? Are they themselves rich or poor? What is their opinion of money and do they care for finance? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Haroun uses many unusual inventions to help him along his journey. These items do not exist in the real world, nor do they exist back on Earth. Write an essay that explores some of the inventions mentioned in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Which invention does Haroun use the most? Which invention does he use the least? Why is the Bite-a-light important to his escape while on the Dark Ship? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 3
Khattam-Shud is the antagonist of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". He is an evil man with a rotten core and dubious ambitions. Write an essay that explores the character of Khattam-Shud. What makes him the antagonist of the story? What are some of his beliefs when it comes to stories and imagination? What is his ultimate goal? What does he want for Earth's second watery moon, Kahani? Does he view the people of Gup as a threat? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)