|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Khattam-Shud hate stories?
2. How does Haroun feel when he is captured?
3. What is the most unusual thing about Shadow Warriors?
4. Does Rashid's "Gift of Gab" return to him?
5. What are poison blenders used for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Shadow Warrior?
2. Why is Blabbermouth able to snatch the bomb away from the messenger before it is able to detonate?
3. What happens when Haroun enters the P2C2E house?
4. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
5. Why is Butt the Hoopoe seemingly immune to the poisonous waters of the Ocean?
6. What do Laminations look like and what purpose do they serve?
7. What does Blabbermouth think of Mudra?
8. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
9. Describe the language Mudra communicates with.
10. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Haroun and the Sea of Stories" concludes with a happy ending. Haroun and Rashid return home a success, Rashid is able to tell stories once more. Soraya returns home after realizing the faults of Mr. Sengupta, and the citizens of the sad city now remember the city's name. Write an essay that explores the conclusion of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". What happens when Haroun goes to sleep after his return home? Why does he tell Butt the Hoopoe that he does not want to go anywhere? Does Butt understand his reasons for not wanting to go anywhere? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
Money is important to several of the characters in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Snooty Buttoo in particular values money and possessions above many other things in life. Write an essay that explores the theme of money within the context of the plot. Why does Snooty Buttoo value money and things like his houseboat? Are Haroun and Rashid impressed by grandiose material possessions? Are they themselves rich or poor? What is their opinion of money and do they care for finance? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
There are many symbols throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The Ocean itself is one of them. Write an essay that explores the idea of the Ocean as a symbol. Why is the Ocean a symbol? What does it represent to the people of Gup City? Why is it important? Who is the Ocean most important to? What do the citizens of Kahani use the Ocean for? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)