|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Haroun suspect Khattam-Shud has in his custody?
2. What color are the jackets the Eggheads wear?
3. What language does Mudra speak?
4. What color nosewarmers do Pages of Gup wear?
5. Is Khattam-Shud's voice like his subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Gup army look like?
2. Why is Blabbermouth able to snatch the bomb away from the messenger before it is able to detonate?
3. Why is Butt the Hoopoe seemingly immune to the poisonous waters of the Ocean?
4. What does Khattam-Shud look like?
5. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
6. Why is Prince Bolo so angry when he finds out Blabbermouth's secret?
7. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
8. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
9. What happens when Haroun enters the P2C2E house?
10. Describe the language Mudra communicates with.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbols throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The Ocean itself is one of them. Write an essay that explores the idea of the Ocean as a symbol. Why is the Ocean a symbol? What does it represent to the people of Gup City? Why is it important? Who is the Ocean most important to? What do the citizens of Kahani use the Ocean for? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Blabbermouth is strongest and most important female character in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". She is the only one who plays a pivotal role in the saving of Kahani. Write an essay that explores Blabbermouth's character from a feminist perspective. Why is she a strong feminist character? What are her beliefs on work and society? How is she different from other female characters like Princess Batcheat and Soraya? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
Money is important to several of the characters in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Snooty Buttoo in particular values money and possessions above many other things in life. Write an essay that explores the theme of money within the context of the plot. Why does Snooty Buttoo value money and things like his houseboat? Are Haroun and Rashid impressed by grandiose material possessions? Are they themselves rich or poor? What is their opinion of money and do they care for finance? Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)