|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Shadow Warrior always has what with them?
2. Why does Khattam-Shud hate stories?
3. What color nosewarmers do Pages of Gup wear?
4. How many connector leads does Haroun have to connect Butt's brain box to?
5. What do Haroun and Rashid wear to keep warm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Shadow Warrior?
2. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
3. Describe Mudra.
4. What happens when Haroun's wish comes true after drinking the Wishwater?
5. Describe the language Mudra communicates with.
6. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
7. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
8. What does Khattam-Shud look like?
9. What does the Gup army look like?
10. What happens to the citizens of Chup after Khattam-Shud is vanquished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence and war are minor themes in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Toward the end of the story, the cities of Gup and Chup go to war. Write an essay that explores how Salman Rushie is able to convey the ideas of war without extreme violence. Where do most of the casualties of the war come from? How does Salman Rushie convey the idea of battle without bloodshed? Does he show more sympathy for one side than the other? Is his version of war realistic? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
One of the most central themes in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" is that of good versus evil. Throughout Haroun's time on Kahani, he learns of the struggles between the good people of Gup and the evil darkness of Chup. Write an essay that explores the theme of good versus evil within the context of the story. How do the people of Gup City view the people of Chup City? Do the people of Gup have legitimate reasons for worrying about the land past the Twilight Strip? Are all citizens of Chup evil? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The world of Kahani is fictitious and at the same time real in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". The author, Salman Rushdie, goes into great detail explaining how such a place would exist. Write an essay that explores the fictitious world of Kahani. What kind of place is Kahani? What does it look like and what is it made of? Why is it invisible to the people of Earth? What type of people and creatures live on Kahani? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)