|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Haroun does when he gets back to the houseboat?
2. What is wrong with Batcheat's singing?
3. What color are the jackets the Eggheads wear?
4. Where are Haroun and his companions taken by the enemy?
5. What kind of voice does Mali have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Gup army look like?
2. Why does Haroun dislike long goodbyes?
3. What happens when Haroun puts Butt the Hoopoe's mechanical brain back in Butt's head?
4. What happens when Haroun enters the P2C2E house?
5. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
6. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
7. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
8. Why is Butt the Hoopoe seemingly immune to the poisonous waters of the Ocean?
9. What does Blabbermouth think of Mudra?
10. What happens to Plentimaw Fishes as the Ocean becomes more and more poisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blabbermouth is strongest and most important female character in "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". She is the only one who plays a pivotal role in the saving of Kahani. Write an essay that explores Blabbermouth's character from a feminist perspective. Why is she a strong feminist character? What are her beliefs on work and society? How is she different from other female characters like Princess Batcheat and Soraya? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 2
Every adventure story must have its hero. Haroun is the hero of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Yet even though he saves Kahani, he does not think of himself as a savior. Write an essay that explains why Haroun is a hero to the people of Kahani. What is a hero? What makes Haroun a hero? Why does he not think of himself as heroic? Why do the citizens of Gup appreciate him? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of happiness is prevalent throughout "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". After all is said and done, and the Walrus offers Haroun a favor, he asks for a happy ending for everyone. Write an essay that explains why happiness is important to Haroun. Is Haroun typically an unhappy person? Why does he wish for happiness? Who is he thinking of when he makes his request to the Walrus? Does the Walrus agree that happiness is a good thing? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)