|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Web of Night?
2. What color is the cap royal pages wear?
3. How does Haroun feel when Blabbermouth kisses him?
4. What does Khattam-Shud look like according to Haroun?
5. What is a darkbulb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Laminations look like and what purpose do they serve?
2. What does the Gup army look like?
3. Why is Butt the Hoopoe seemingly immune to the poisonous waters of the Ocean?
4. How is Haroun saved from his capture on the Dark Ship?
5. How does Haroun feel when he is captured by Khattam-Shud's men?
6. Why does Rashid tell Buttoo's audience the story of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"?
7. Describe the Dark Ship.
8. How does Haroun feel about his mother returning?
9. Why do the members of the Gup army look like angels going into battle?
10. What happens when Haroun enters the P2C2E house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The world of Kahani features many literary-themed components. Among these are the Pages of the Gup Army, and the Sea of Stories itself. Write an essay that explains how writing and literature is important to Earth's second watery moon, Kahani. How does the name Kahani itself tie into the themes of literature and writing? Why are the Pages of the Gup Army organized into Chapters and Volumes? How does the Stream of Stories work and what is its purpose? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist is the most important character to the plot. Without Haroun there would be no "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Write an essay that explores the different aspects of Haroun's character. What is Haroun like at the beginning of the story? How does his character evolve as the story progresses and he is forced overcome obstacles and problems? How do his interactions with different characters change as the plot progresses? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Every adventure story must have its hero. Haroun is the hero of "Haroun and the Sea of Stories". Yet even though he saves Kahani, he does not think of himself as a savior. Write an essay that explains why Haroun is a hero to the people of Kahani. What is a hero? What makes Haroun a hero? Why does he not think of himself as heroic? Why do the citizens of Gup appreciate him? Be sure the provide examples to support your work.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)