|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wallace decide to drink with the kids upon his arrival home?
2. What does the doctor say that the lump on her body is, and Jen pretends she knew this along?
3. What does Jen use to hit her bed with when she is worried about her father and about the way he's ruined her night?
4. The woman gets rid of the item from #131 when she realized she would nor recover from ____________ the child who found it.
5. What did Kathleen and Jen do the last time they were high on drugs, putting their lives in danger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jen gets a phone call later in the day, inviting her to come to a party with others?
2. What does Megan think about people like Wallace who get brain tumors for no apparent reason?
3. What happens on the day that Wallace is discharged from the hospital after his surgery?
4. Why doesn't Randy go to see his dad when his dad is finally being released from the hospital?
5. One morning, about a month after Wallace's surgery, what is the first thought in Jen's mind when she wakes up?
6. What does the doctor tells Wallace about the tumor mass that they removed from his brain during the previous surgery?
7. What does Jen's father begin to do as he begins to feel better after the surgery and is healing well?
8. What does Jen think about the idea of scars on a person's face?
9. What are the criteria that Jen has in terms of deciding whether or not to take a job that she is offered by another?
10. What is the most noticeable difference in Wallace when he is home and healing from his surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen is a character who could be described as being paranoid, even though she thinks everyone else is more so.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen is so paranoid in her life?
Part 2: Do you think there is value in Jen being paranoid?
Part 3: How do you think Jen's life might change if she were not paranoid?
Essay Topic 2
Jen is a person who seems to avoid pain and sadness by drinking and by doing drugs.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to handle the pain any other way?
Part 2: Do you think that Jen should find other ways to cope with her feelings?
Part 3: How do you cope when you have things happen in your life which might be seen as tragic?
Essay Topic 3
In the days leading up to the surgery, it seems that a number of things are going badly in the town of Clement.
Part 1: Why do you think Lamott decided to make the town more tragic during this time?
Part 2: Do you think Jen's mood might be affecting the way she describes what happens in the town?
Part 3: How do you think the tragedies in the town might affect you if you were living there?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)