|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Megan's great-aunt who she and Jen have to see before going to see Wallace?
2. Jen is reminded of the way people avoid looking at those with ____________ when she sees how people look at Wallace.
3. Wallace finds out that the tumor is _____________ when he finally receives his diagnosis.
4. What does Jen say when she is invited over to a party over the phone?
5. What does a woman that Jen knows carry around with her in case she is ever in a situation where she found out she could not recover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the exercise called where Jen lies in bed for hours on end each day, according to her conversation with Kathleen?
2. What is the worry that Jen has about being at parties, and what a person might ask her when she is there?
3. Why doesn't Randy go to see his dad when his dad is finally being released from the hospital?
4. What do Kathleen and Jen decide to do when Wallace is going to lay down for a nap for a while?
5. What does Jen think about the idea of scars on a person's face?
6. What does Megan think about people like Wallace who get brain tumors for no apparent reason?
7. What does Jen's father begin to do as he begins to feel better after the surgery and is healing well?
8. What happens when Jen gets a phone call later in the day, inviting her to come to a party with others?
9. What does Jen do when she turns on the radio, trying to work out a new feeling she has about the tumor Wallace has?
10. What happens to Wallace which makes the family begin to question his health again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen thinks about her brothers and realizes that she likes them, even if they were mean to her as a child.
Part 1: Do you think it's always easy for brothers and sisters to get along?
Part 2: How do you think siblings might be able to make their relationships stronger?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen suddenly thinks on how much she likes her brothers?
Essay Topic 2
Jen is a person who seems to avoid pain and sadness by drinking and by doing drugs.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to handle the pain any other way?
Part 2: Do you think that Jen should find other ways to cope with her feelings?
Part 3: How do you cope when you have things happen in your life which might be seen as tragic?
Essay Topic 3
Megan and Jen talk about how senseless it is that young people get cancer and how good people get sick.
Part 1: Do you think that it's senseless that young people get cancer?
Part 2: Why do you think cancer and illness upset people so much that they take it personally?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if a friend got cancer?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)