|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jen use to hit her bed with when she is worried about her father and about the way he's ruined her night?
2. What is NOT one of the rules that Jen has when she makes a decision to take a job or to not take a job?
3. What does Jen say that she thinks her problem is, rather than admitting she has a lump?
4. What does Jen say when she is invited over to a party over the phone?
5. What was Jen chasing in the dream that makes her wake up screaming during this section of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Wallace as he starts his weekly radiation treatments, to which Jen drives him?
2. What does Colin say in a letter that he sends to Jen during the time of Wallace's recuperation?
3. What does Jen do when she turns on the radio, trying to work out a new feeling she has about the tumor Wallace has?
4. What is the nightmare that Jen is having when the chapter first begins?
5. Why doesn't Randy go to see his dad when his dad is finally being released from the hospital?
6. What is the exercise called where Jen lies in bed for hours on end each day, according to her conversation with Kathleen?
7. One morning, about a month after Wallace's surgery, what is the first thought in Jen's mind when she wakes up?
8. What are the criteria that Jen has in terms of deciding whether or not to take a job that she is offered by another?
9. What does the doctor tells Wallace about the tumor mass that they removed from his brain during the previous surgery?
10. What is the worry that Jen has about being at parties, and what a person might ask her when she is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen's kind of boyfriend Eric turns out to be a person who does not want to support her in her time of need.
Part 1: Why do you think a person stays in a relationship that is not supportive?
Part 2: Do you think Jen should have stayed with Eric for as long as she did?
Part 3: How might you react if a loved one didn't support you during a trying time?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen says that Jen's family can not openly admit how upset and worried they are about Wallace.
Part 1: Do you think there is some truth in the statement Kathleen makes?
Part 2: How do you think Jen's family could correct this situation?
Part 3: Why do you think many families don't admit the seriousness of situations?
Essay Topic 3
Jen points out that sometimes things which seem senseless often turn out to be good in the end.
Part 1: Do you think that things in life are ever senseless?
Part 2: Why do you think something senseless might turn out to be good?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to make good out of a senseless situation?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)