|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Megan's great-aunt who she and Jen have to see before going to see Wallace?
2. Jen confesses to Kathleen that she is doing ________ yoga in order to cope in her life right now.
3. What was the name of the man that Jen slept with a few times when Kathleen was getting a divorce?
4. Who decides to come with Jen to the hospital on the day that Wallace is going to be discharged?
5. What does Randy suggest that Jen ride in when she returns from the hospital visit with Wallace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the exercise called where Jen lies in bed for hours on end each day, according to her conversation with Kathleen?
2. What does Jen tell Randy about their Uncle Colin when they are drinking and cleaning together?
3. What does Jen do when she turns on the radio, trying to work out a new feeling she has about the tumor Wallace has?
4. What happens when Jen gets a phone call later in the day, inviting her to come to a party with others?
5. What are the criteria that Jen has in terms of deciding whether or not to take a job that she is offered by another?
6. What do Kathleen and Jen decide to do when Wallace is going to lay down for a nap for a while?
7. One morning, about a month after Wallace's surgery, what is the first thought in Jen's mind when she wakes up?
8. What happens to Wallace which makes the family begin to question his health again?
9. What is the most noticeable difference in Wallace when he is home and healing from his surgery?
10. What is the worry that Jen has about being at parties, and what a person might ask her when she is there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The introduction of Wallace's tumor causes the story to take a turn right at the start.
Part 1: Why do you think the family reacts in the way they do?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if you hard your father had a tumor?
Part 3: Do you think there might have been a better way for the family to react?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen interprets a dream of Jen's to mean that she is afraid for others to see the bad parts of herself.
Part 1: Do you think that Kathleen's dream assessment is accurate? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that all people are afraid for others to see the bad parts of themselves?
Part 3: How do you think a person's life might change if others saw the bad parts of these people?
Essay Topic 3
Jen is a person who seems to avoid pain and sadness by drinking and by doing drugs.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to handle the pain any other way?
Part 2: Do you think that Jen should find other ways to cope with her feelings?
Part 3: How do you cope when you have things happen in your life which might be seen as tragic?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)