|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Randy suggest that Jen ride in when she returns from the hospital visit with Wallace?
2. Who comes to visit Jen in November, taking her out for coffee and then comes back to her cabin to make love?
3. Where is Megan going to go when she has to go back to school in the fall?
4. Where do Kathleen and Jen decide to meet later that day in order to talk about Jen's issues?
5. Wallace warns his kids when they get back that now would be a very bad time to do _______, and they promise not to do it.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the criteria that Jen has in terms of deciding whether or not to take a job that she is offered by another?
2. What does Jen think about the idea of scars on a person's face?
3. What happens on the day that Wallace is discharged from the hospital after his surgery?
4. What does Jen think about the other people in the town that are very paranoid about their lives and their surroundings?
5. What happens when Jen gets a phone call later in the day, inviting her to come to a party with others?
6. What happens to Wallace which makes the family begin to question his health again?
7. What is the embarrassing memory that Jen and Wallace share as they are talking about tumors and karma?
8. What is the agreement that Jen makes with Megan before they go to see Megan's great aunt Honey?
9. What does the doctor tells Wallace about the tumor mass that they removed from his brain during the previous surgery?
10. What begins to happen to Wallace as he starts his weekly radiation treatments, to which Jen drives him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wallace pretends to feel bad about the death of the cat, for Jen's benefit.
Part 1: Why do you think Wallace doesn't feel bad about the cat?
Part 2: How do you think Jen would feel if no one was sympathetic about the death?
Part 3: Do you think the cat's death reminds Jen about her father's mortality? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jen is a person who seems to avoid pain and sadness by drinking and by doing drugs.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to handle the pain any other way?
Part 2: Do you think that Jen should find other ways to cope with her feelings?
Part 3: How do you cope when you have things happen in your life which might be seen as tragic?
Essay Topic 3
Jen points out that sometimes things which seem senseless often turn out to be good in the end.
Part 1: Do you think that things in life are ever senseless?
Part 2: Why do you think something senseless might turn out to be good?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to make good out of a senseless situation?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)