|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jen chasing in the dream that makes her wake up screaming during this section of the story?
2. What does Jen calculate when she gets up from her night's rest about a month after Wallace's surgery?
3. What does a woman that Jen knows carry around with her in case she is ever in a situation where she found out she could not recover?
4. Who is only slightly less paranoid than the local mental patients in the town where the story is located?
5. What does Jen decide to do when she is sitting on the cliff and watching the sun set in the distance?
Short Essay Questions
1. One morning, about a month after Wallace's surgery, what is the first thought in Jen's mind when she wakes up?
2. What are the criteria that Jen has in terms of deciding whether or not to take a job that she is offered by another?
3. What is the embarrassing memory that Jen and Wallace share as they are talking about tumors and karma?
4. What does Colin say in a letter that he sends to Jen during the time of Wallace's recuperation?
5. What happens to Wallace which makes the family begin to question his health again?
6. What does Jen think about the idea of scars on a person's face?
7. What happens on the day that Wallace is discharged from the hospital after his surgery?
8. What is the most noticeable difference in Wallace when he is home and healing from his surgery?
9. What does the doctor tells Wallace about the tumor mass that they removed from his brain during the previous surgery?
10. What happens when Jen gets a phone call later in the day, inviting her to come to a party with others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen comments how she likes women who have scars on their faces since it shows they have been through something.
Part 1: Do you prefer perfection or scars? Why?
Part 2: How do you think you might react to seeing someone who had large scars on their face?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen wants to point out that she enjoys scars?
Essay Topic 2
Jen points out that sometimes things which seem senseless often turn out to be good in the end.
Part 1: Do you think that things in life are ever senseless?
Part 2: Why do you think something senseless might turn out to be good?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to make good out of a senseless situation?
Essay Topic 3
Jen makes plans to meet with Kathleen, even though she is always late.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen believes it's important to still meet with Kathleen?
Part 2: What would you do if someone you were supposed to meet was always late?
Part 3: How do you think Kathleen feels about Jen and their friendship?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)