|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides that he is too busy to go to the hospital as he is getting ready to go to college?
2. How much money has Jen been living on each week, which leads her to believe that she needs to earn more?
3. Jen actually worries that the other people at the party will ask her if her father is _____________.
4. Wallace warns his kids when they get back that now would be a very bad time to do _______, and they promise not to do it.
5. Megan has a _________ that most adults lack, it seems, causing her to be a good person for Jen to talk to.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Megan think about people like Wallace who get brain tumors for no apparent reason?
2. What do Kathleen and Jen decide to do when Wallace is going to lay down for a nap for a while?
3. Why doesn't Randy go to see his dad when his dad is finally being released from the hospital?
4. What happens when Jen gets a phone call later in the day, inviting her to come to a party with others?
5. What does Jen tell Randy about their Uncle Colin when they are drinking and cleaning together?
6. What does the doctor tells Wallace about the tumor mass that they removed from his brain during the previous surgery?
7. What are the criteria that Jen has in terms of deciding whether or not to take a job that she is offered by another?
8. What is the nightmare that Jen is having when the chapter first begins?
9. What happens to Wallace which makes the family begin to question his health again?
10. One morning, about a month after Wallace's surgery, what is the first thought in Jen's mind when she wakes up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen points out that sometimes things which seem senseless often turn out to be good in the end.
Part 1: Do you think that things in life are ever senseless?
Part 2: Why do you think something senseless might turn out to be good?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to make good out of a senseless situation?
Essay Topic 2
Jen is a character who could be described as being paranoid, even though she thinks everyone else is more so.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen is so paranoid in her life?
Part 2: Do you think there is value in Jen being paranoid?
Part 3: How do you think Jen's life might change if she were not paranoid?
Essay Topic 3
Randy presents his father with the dead heron, which he has now gotten stuffed.
Part 1: Why do you think Randy felt this was an appropriate present?
Part 2: What do you think the dead heron symbolizes for the family?
Part 3: Do you think that Wallace appreciates the gift?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)