|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person that stands outside and smokes before going in to see Wallace after the surgery?
2. This New Age group likes to _________ strangers, which makes those new people uncomfortable when visiting the town.
3. When Jen calls Eric to talk about her emotions around the brain tumor, he tells her that he is sick of all the _____________ drama.
4. What kind of dead bird does Randy find when he and the others are walking on the beach?
5. What do Jen and Randy put up with from Ben as they realize that he is nervous about seeing his father in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
2. What happens every Tuesday night in Jen's life, according to the story?
3. What happens with the cat when Jen is lying in bed after her drugged and drunk rage?
4. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
5. What does Eric do on Easter when Jen is very sick and lying in bed in her cabin?
6. Why was the ancient castle built in San Francisco, according to the story's details?
7. What does Jen know will happen every time she schedules a meeting with Kathleen?
8. What is the finding of the doctor when Wallace goes in to find out more about the difficulties he's having?
9. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
10. What does Wallace share with his child to be his hopes for the health problem he now faces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the days leading up to the surgery, it seems that a number of things are going badly in the town of Clement.
Part 1: Why do you think Lamott decided to make the town more tragic during this time?
Part 2: Do you think Jen's mood might be affecting the way she describes what happens in the town?
Part 3: How do you think the tragedies in the town might affect you if you were living there?
Essay Topic 2
Jen comments how she likes women who have scars on their faces since it shows they have been through something.
Part 1: Do you prefer perfection or scars? Why?
Part 2: How do you think you might react to seeing someone who had large scars on their face?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen wants to point out that she enjoys scars?
Essay Topic 3
Megan's relationship to Honey seems to be a comfortable one, one in which they see each other and hope to see each other again soon, even though Honey knows she is old.
Part 1: Why do you think Megan goes to see Honey?
Part 2: Do you think that Honey likes Jen?
Part 3: How do you think Megan's visits with Honey are helpful to the both of them?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)