|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The siblings decide to go get lunch from __________ and then to have a picnic on the floor after seeing Wallace.
2. What does Frank Morgan do which makes him a bit of a legend in the town where Jen lives?
3. What does the family have to cope with in regard to the situation with Wallace and his brain tumor?
4. Kathleen mentions that she would like to see ____________, since Jen's brothers already have.
5. Eric and Jen have less of a romance and more of a friendship that is punctuated with ________, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
2. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
3. What does Eric do on Easter when Jen is very sick and lying in bed in her cabin?
4. What is the reason that Wallace is having some troubles talking, according to Sarah's report to the children?
5. What does the family do in the days leading up to Wallace's surgery, trying to forget about what's to happen?
6. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
7. Where are the children living at the beginning of the story?
8. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
9. What is the living situation of Jen at the beginning of the story and how did she come upon this arrangement?
10. What happens between the children before they decide to go into the hospital after the surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen is a character who could be described as being paranoid, even though she thinks everyone else is more so.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen is so paranoid in her life?
Part 2: Do you think there is value in Jen being paranoid?
Part 3: How do you think Jen's life might change if she were not paranoid?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of Wallace's tumor causes the story to take a turn right at the start.
Part 1: Why do you think the family reacts in the way they do?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if you hard your father had a tumor?
Part 3: Do you think there might have been a better way for the family to react?
Essay Topic 3
Jen seems to be just getting by in life, working only enough to support herself and her writing time.
Part 1: How do you feel about the character of Jen in this story?
Part 2: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to do more with her life?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to simply work to create time for pleasure?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)