|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kathleen mentions that she would like to see ____________, since Jen's brothers already have.
2. What does Kathleen offer as her excuse for not meeting with Jen as she promised to do?
3. What causes Kathleen to have to leave early in the morning, even though she promised to talk with Jen?
4. Jen finds her town irritating because of all of the conflicting ____________ it has, but it's the only home she has right now.
5. Who does Jen imagine is surrounding her when she is in her drugged and drunk state after leaving her meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the cat when Jen is lying in bed after her drugged and drunk rage?
2. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
3. What does the family do in the days leading up to Wallace's surgery, trying to forget about what's to happen?
4. Why doesn't Megan believe that Jen cleans houses for a living, as she explains when they are talking?
5. What does Kathleen offer as an explanation for what happened at Jen and her meeting?
6. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
7. What happens between the children before they decide to go into the hospital after the surgery?
8. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
9. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
10. What does Kathleen say about the relationship between Eric and Jen, according to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy presents his father with the dead heron, which he has now gotten stuffed.
Part 1: Why do you think Randy felt this was an appropriate present?
Part 2: What do you think the dead heron symbolizes for the family?
Part 3: Do you think that Wallace appreciates the gift?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen interprets a dream of Jen's to mean that she is afraid for others to see the bad parts of herself.
Part 1: Do you think that Kathleen's dream assessment is accurate? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that all people are afraid for others to see the bad parts of themselves?
Part 3: How do you think a person's life might change if others saw the bad parts of these people?
Essay Topic 3
Jen's kind of boyfriend Eric turns out to be a person who does not want to support her in her time of need.
Part 1: Why do you think a person stays in a relationship that is not supportive?
Part 2: Do you think Jen should have stayed with Eric for as long as she did?
Part 3: How might you react if a loved one didn't support you during a trying time?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)