|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jen and Randy put up with from Ben as they realize that he is nervous about seeing his father in the hospital?
2. Who is the person that knocks over the vase accidentally, which causes Wallace to wake up?
3. What starts blowing up in the town where Jen lives, something that is considered to be a strange event?
4. The siblings decide to go get lunch from __________ and then to have a picnic on the floor after seeing Wallace.
5. Who calls Jen to let her know that everything in the surgery went well and that Wallace was resting comfortably?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
2. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
3. What is the reason that Wallace is having some troubles talking, according to Sarah's report to the children?
4. What happens between the children before they decide to go into the hospital after the surgery?
5. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
6. What happens in order to wake Wallace up and to get him talking to his children in the room?
7. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
8. What does Kathleen say about the relationship between Eric and Jen, according to the story?
9. How did Eric and Jen meet, according to the story that Jen tells in the book?
10. What does Wallace share with his child to be his hopes for the health problem he now faces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen seems to be just getting by in life, working only enough to support herself and her writing time.
Part 1: How do you feel about the character of Jen in this story?
Part 2: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to do more with her life?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to simply work to create time for pleasure?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of Wallace's tumor causes the story to take a turn right at the start.
Part 1: Why do you think the family reacts in the way they do?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if you hard your father had a tumor?
Part 3: Do you think there might have been a better way for the family to react?
Essay Topic 3
Jen is a person who seems to avoid pain and sadness by drinking and by doing drugs.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to handle the pain any other way?
Part 2: Do you think that Jen should find other ways to cope with her feelings?
Part 3: How do you cope when you have things happen in your life which might be seen as tragic?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)