|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jen learn about a week before Eric says that he will be leaving her?
2. While everyone loves this person, this person still drives everyone crazy with his/her silly and boundless energy. Who is it?
3. What is the part of himself of which Eric is self conscious, so Jen does not say anything about it?
4. What's frustrating to Wallace is that he can only get ______ hour's worth of work accomplished in four hours, which is not the way it used to be.
5. At the funerals in the town, people will ___________ whatever they think is appropriate for sending off a person they love or respect.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathleen say about the relationship between Eric and Jen, according to the story?
2. Where are the children living at the beginning of the story?
3. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
4. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
5. What is the reason that Wallace is having some troubles talking, according to Sarah's report to the children?
6. What does Kathleen offer as an explanation for what happened at Jen and her meeting?
7. What does Eric do on Easter when Jen is very sick and lying in bed in her cabin?
8. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
9. What happens when one of the Burn Outs offers to give Jen a ride to her work one day?
10. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the days leading up to the surgery, it seems that a number of things are going badly in the town of Clement.
Part 1: Why do you think Lamott decided to make the town more tragic during this time?
Part 2: Do you think Jen's mood might be affecting the way she describes what happens in the town?
Part 3: How do you think the tragedies in the town might affect you if you were living there?
Essay Topic 2
Jen doesn't tell Eric about the brain tumor because she thinks it might make him feel obligated to stay.
Part 1: Do you think Jen should have told Eric what was happening?
Part 2: How do you think Eric would have reacted to this news?
Part 3: Why do you think Eric was a person Jen didn't want to tell?
Essay Topic 3
Jen is a character who could be described as being paranoid, even though she thinks everyone else is more so.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen is so paranoid in her life?
Part 2: Do you think there is value in Jen being paranoid?
Part 3: How do you think Jen's life might change if she were not paranoid?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)