|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jen do as she is settling into bed as she realizes her pillow is getting dirty?
2. Does Jen have a boyfriend at this particular time in the book?
3. What does Frank Morgan do which makes him a bit of a legend in the town where Jen lives?
4. What causes Kathleen to have to leave early in the morning, even though she promised to talk with Jen?
5. Jen's father is the son of ________ in Tokyo, while Jen's mother is an Englishwoman, according to the story.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathleen offer as an explanation for what happened at Jen and her meeting?
2. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
3. What does Jen know will happen every time she schedules a meeting with Kathleen?
4. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
5. What does Megan wish that Jen would do in relation to Jen's boyfriend, Eric?
6. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
7. Where are the children living at the beginning of the story?
8. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
9. Why doesn't Megan believe that Jen cleans houses for a living, as she explains when they are talking?
10. What is the reason that Wallace is having some troubles talking, according to Sarah's report to the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen doesn't tell Eric about the brain tumor because she thinks it might make him feel obligated to stay.
Part 1: Do you think Jen should have told Eric what was happening?
Part 2: How do you think Eric would have reacted to this news?
Part 3: Why do you think Eric was a person Jen didn't want to tell?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen interprets a dream of Jen's to mean that she is afraid for others to see the bad parts of herself.
Part 1: Do you think that Kathleen's dream assessment is accurate? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that all people are afraid for others to see the bad parts of themselves?
Part 3: How do you think a person's life might change if others saw the bad parts of these people?
Essay Topic 3
Visiting a loved one in the hospital is not an easy thing, and it can bring up a lot of emotions in people.
Part 1: Why do you think families and people tend to have troubles going to hospitals?
Part 2: Do you think you would have troubles going to see a loved one after surgery?
Part 3: How do you think a family might be able to make the trip to the hospital easier? Or can't they?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)