|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family have to cope with in regard to the situation with Wallace and his brain tumor?
2. Jen realizes she has no male friends in town who are over the age of ___________, aside from her brothers.
3. The doctors find a brain tumor in the _________ area of the brain, which is frustrating to Wallace as a writer.
4. Who does Jen imagine is surrounding her when she is in her drugged and drunk state after leaving her meeting?
5. Kathleen mentions that she would like to see ____________, since Jen's brothers already have.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathleen say about the relationship between Eric and Jen, according to the story?
2. Why doesn't Megan believe that Jen cleans houses for a living, as she explains when they are talking?
3. What has happened to all of Jen's male friends, or so she remembers when she is driving away from the hospital?
4. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
5. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
6. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
7. What are the worries that Wallace has as he begins to undergo the process of removing the problem from his body?
8. What does Jen know will happen every time she schedules a meeting with Kathleen?
9. Why was the ancient castle built in San Francisco, according to the story's details?
10. What does Wallace share with his child to be his hopes for the health problem he now faces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Clement seems to be a town which has attracted a number of weirdos in its confines.
Part 1: Why do you think the town has attracted so many 'weirdos'?
Part 2: Do you agree with Jen's description that there are weird people in the town?
Part 3: What do you think this town's population has to say about the state of Jen and her weirdness?
Essay Topic 2
Jen's kind of boyfriend Eric turns out to be a person who does not want to support her in her time of need.
Part 1: Why do you think a person stays in a relationship that is not supportive?
Part 2: Do you think Jen should have stayed with Eric for as long as she did?
Part 3: How might you react if a loved one didn't support you during a trying time?
Essay Topic 3
Randy presents his father with the dead heron, which he has now gotten stuffed.
Part 1: Why do you think Randy felt this was an appropriate present?
Part 2: What do you think the dead heron symbolizes for the family?
Part 3: Do you think that Wallace appreciates the gift?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)