|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jen realizes she has no male friends in town who are over the age of ___________, aside from her brothers.
2. What is the profession of Jen's best friend? She is a ________ consultant who helps Jen with her questions.
3. What do Jen and Randy put up with from Ben as they realize that he is nervous about seeing his father in the hospital?
4. The selfish ___________ of the 1980s causes many of the peace lovers to take their own lives since they see no other way out.
5. What is NOT one of the names of the children who are described and followed in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first sign that there is something wrong with Wallace, according to the story?
2. What is the finding of the doctor when Wallace goes in to find out more about the difficulties he's having?
3. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
4. What happens when one of the Burn Outs offers to give Jen a ride to her work one day?
5. Why does Jen love to have Megan over to stay with her at her little home?
6. What does the family do in the days leading up to Wallace's surgery, trying to forget about what's to happen?
7. What is the reason that Wallace is having some troubles talking, according to Sarah's report to the children?
8. What happens between the children before they decide to go into the hospital after the surgery?
9. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
10. Why does Jen decide that she wants to clean houses for a living, at least at this point of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kathleen says that Jen's family can not openly admit how upset and worried they are about Wallace.
Part 1: Do you think there is some truth in the statement Kathleen makes?
Part 2: How do you think Jen's family could correct this situation?
Part 3: Why do you think many families don't admit the seriousness of situations?
Essay Topic 2
Randy presents his father with the dead heron, which he has now gotten stuffed.
Part 1: Why do you think Randy felt this was an appropriate present?
Part 2: What do you think the dead heron symbolizes for the family?
Part 3: Do you think that Wallace appreciates the gift?
Essay Topic 3
The children in the family seem to have a lot of troubles, but they are still close and loving to each other.
Part 1: Why do you think children have a hard time relating to their siblings as they grow up?
Part 2: How did you relate to your siblings as you got older? What about when you were younger?
Part 3: Can siblings be loving, even if they pick on each other?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)