|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jen want to avoid when she is sitting and waiting for Kathleen to show up at their meeting place?
2. Jen realizes she has no male friends in town who are over the age of ___________, aside from her brothers.
3. What is the profession of Jen's best friend? She is a ________ consultant who helps Jen with her questions.
4. Wallace says that if he should become a vegetable that they ____________ pull the plug, according to his wishes.
5. The siblings decide that everyone in their family is ______________ anyway, so their psychoses don't matter.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
2. Why doesn't Megan believe that Jen cleans houses for a living, as she explains when they are talking?
3. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
4. What happens between the children before they decide to go into the hospital after the surgery?
5. What happens every Tuesday night in Jen's life, according to the story?
6. Where are the children living at the beginning of the story?
7. What is the reason that Wallace is having some troubles talking, according to Sarah's report to the children?
8. What does Kathleen offer as an explanation for what happened at Jen and her meeting?
9. What does Jen do when the phone finally rings after Kathleen finally calls Jen back after her many calls?
10. What are the worries that Wallace has as he begins to undergo the process of removing the problem from his body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wallace pretends to feel bad about the death of the cat, for Jen's benefit.
Part 1: Why do you think Wallace doesn't feel bad about the cat?
Part 2: How do you think Jen would feel if no one was sympathetic about the death?
Part 3: Do you think the cat's death reminds Jen about her father's mortality? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jen thinks about her brothers and realizes that she likes them, even if they were mean to her as a child.
Part 1: Do you think it's always easy for brothers and sisters to get along?
Part 2: How do you think siblings might be able to make their relationships stronger?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen suddenly thinks on how much she likes her brothers?
Essay Topic 3
Visiting a loved one in the hospital is not an easy thing, and it can bring up a lot of emotions in people.
Part 1: Why do you think families and people tend to have troubles going to hospitals?
Part 2: Do you think you would have troubles going to see a loved one after surgery?
Part 3: How do you think a family might be able to make the trip to the hospital easier? Or can't they?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)