|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts blowing up in the town where Jen lives, something that is considered to be a strange event?
2. What does Frank Morgan do which makes him a bit of a legend in the town where Jen lives?
3. Jennifer's family lives in the state of ______________ in a castle that some immigrants built when they first came over to America.
4. Jen resents the fact that she has to go clean a ____________ house for four hours as a part of her way to make money.
5. Who is the person that knocks over the vase accidentally, which causes Wallace to wake up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to all of Jen's male friends, or so she remembers when she is driving away from the hospital?
2. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
3. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
4. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
5. What happens every Tuesday night in Jen's life, according to the story?
6. What is the living situation of Jen at the beginning of the story and how did she come upon this arrangement?
7. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
8. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
9. What does Jen do when the phone finally rings after Kathleen finally calls Jen back after her many calls?
10. Why does Jen decide that she wants to clean houses for a living, at least at this point of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kathleen says that Jen's family can not openly admit how upset and worried they are about Wallace.
Part 1: Do you think there is some truth in the statement Kathleen makes?
Part 2: How do you think Jen's family could correct this situation?
Part 3: Why do you think many families don't admit the seriousness of situations?
Essay Topic 2
The children in the family seem to have a lot of troubles, but they are still close and loving to each other.
Part 1: Why do you think children have a hard time relating to their siblings as they grow up?
Part 2: How did you relate to your siblings as you got older? What about when you were younger?
Part 3: Can siblings be loving, even if they pick on each other?
Essay Topic 3
Jen is a character who could be described as being paranoid, even though she thinks everyone else is more so.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen is so paranoid in her life?
Part 2: Do you think there is value in Jen being paranoid?
Part 3: How do you think Jen's life might change if she were not paranoid?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)