|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a friend of Jen's do for this friend's mother in order to help alleviate the pain of dying?
2. Kathleen dresses quickly in the morning so that Jen will not see _____________, it seems.
3. In the town, _________ tend to be strange affairs with eclectic contents, depending on the focus of the day.
4. What is the holiday on which Jen is sick and tries to get Eric to come over to help her during this time?
5. What did Kathleen's ex-husband encourage her to do in order to prevent herself from gaining weight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
2. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
3. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
4. What is the living situation of Jen at the beginning of the story and how did she come upon this arrangement?
5. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
6. What does Wallace share with his child to be his hopes for the health problem he now faces?
7. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
8. What does Megan wish that Jen would do in relation to Jen's boyfriend, Eric?
9. Why was the ancient castle built in San Francisco, according to the story's details?
10. What does Kathleen say about the relationship between Eric and Jen, according to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen thinks about her brothers and realizes that she likes them, even if they were mean to her as a child.
Part 1: Do you think it's always easy for brothers and sisters to get along?
Part 2: How do you think siblings might be able to make their relationships stronger?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen suddenly thinks on how much she likes her brothers?
Essay Topic 2
Jen is a person who seems to avoid pain and sadness by drinking and by doing drugs.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to handle the pain any other way?
Part 2: Do you think that Jen should find other ways to cope with her feelings?
Part 3: How do you cope when you have things happen in your life which might be seen as tragic?
Essay Topic 3
Jen points out that sometimes things which seem senseless often turn out to be good in the end.
Part 1: Do you think that things in life are ever senseless?
Part 2: Why do you think something senseless might turn out to be good?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to make good out of a senseless situation?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)