|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Burn Out who receives $1000 a month just to stay out of his/her parents' hometown?
2. Jen thinks that _______ are the best gatherings she knows about, along with getting together at the bedside of a dying person.
3. The nurse tells the children that Wallace isn't allowed to have so many _________ in his room.
4. What does Jen think is happening with Eric when she wakes up in the night to find that he is not there anymore?
5. What is the word that Wallace has troubles remembering, which prompts a trip to the doctor for testing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
2. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
3. What does Wallace share with his child to be his hopes for the health problem he now faces?
4. What happens between the children before they decide to go into the hospital after the surgery?
5. What does Eric do on Easter when Jen is very sick and lying in bed in her cabin?
6. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
7. What are the worries that Wallace has as he begins to undergo the process of removing the problem from his body?
8. What happens with the cat when Jen is lying in bed after her drugged and drunk rage?
9. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
10. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen thinks about her brothers and realizes that she likes them, even if they were mean to her as a child.
Part 1: Do you think it's always easy for brothers and sisters to get along?
Part 2: How do you think siblings might be able to make their relationships stronger?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen suddenly thinks on how much she likes her brothers?
Essay Topic 2
Jen points out that sometimes things which seem senseless often turn out to be good in the end.
Part 1: Do you think that things in life are ever senseless?
Part 2: Why do you think something senseless might turn out to be good?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to make good out of a senseless situation?
Essay Topic 3
Jen makes plans to meet with Kathleen, even though she is always late.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen believes it's important to still meet with Kathleen?
Part 2: What would you do if someone you were supposed to meet was always late?
Part 3: How do you think Kathleen feels about Jen and their friendship?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)