Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the things that drew Jen to Eric is that he never says anything about the __________ in her cabin.
2. Miriam Brown is known as the town's most infamous __________ and she has one of her babies with her.
3. What does the family have to cope with in regard to the situation with Wallace and his brain tumor?
4. Who tells Jen that she might as well stay with Eric since he is comfortable and convenient?
5. While everyone loves this person, this person still drives everyone crazy with his/her silly and boundless energy. Who is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
2. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
3. What are the criteria that Jen has in terms of deciding whether or not to take a job that she is offered by another?
4. How did Eric and Jen meet, according to the story that Jen tells in the book?
5. What is the worry that Jen has about being at parties, and what a person might ask her when she is there?
6. What is the living situation of Jen at the beginning of the story and how did she come upon this arrangement?
7. What happens on the day that Wallace is discharged from the hospital after his surgery?
8. What happens every Tuesday night in Jen's life, according to the story?
9. What happens in order to wake Wallace up and to get him talking to his children in the room?
10. What does Jen know will happen every time she schedules a meeting with Kathleen?
Essay Topic 1
Jen seems to be just getting by in life, working only enough to support herself and her writing time.
Part 1: How do you feel about the character of Jen in this story?
Part 2: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to do more with her life?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to simply work to create time for pleasure?
Essay Topic 2
Megan and Jen talk about how senseless it is that young people get cancer and how good people get sick.
Part 1: Do you think that it's senseless that young people get cancer?
Part 2: Why do you think cancer and illness upset people so much that they take it personally?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if a friend got cancer?
Essay Topic 3
Visiting a loved one in the hospital is not an easy thing, and it can bring up a lot of emotions in people.
Part 1: Why do you think families and people tend to have troubles going to hospitals?
Part 2: Do you think you would have troubles going to see a loved one after surgery?
Part 3: How do you think a family might be able to make the trip to the hospital easier? Or can't they?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)