|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jen call Kathleen when she realizes that she is not showing up for their meeting?
2. Who calls Jen to let her know that everything in the surgery went well and that Wallace was resting comfortably?
3. What does Jen want to avoid when she is sitting and waiting for Kathleen to show up at their meeting place?
4. Where do Jen and her dream consultant like to meet, though the consultant is always late for the meeting?
5. What does Jen do as she is settling into bed as she realizes her pillow is getting dirty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wallace share with his child to be his hopes for the health problem he now faces?
2. What does the family do in the days leading up to Wallace's surgery, trying to forget about what's to happen?
3. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
4. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
5. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
6. Where are the children living at the beginning of the story?
7. What happens with the cat when Jen is lying in bed after her drugged and drunk rage?
8. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
9. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
10. Why doesn't Megan believe that Jen cleans houses for a living, as she explains when they are talking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen points out that sometimes things which seem senseless often turn out to be good in the end.
Part 1: Do you think that things in life are ever senseless?
Part 2: Why do you think something senseless might turn out to be good?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to make good out of a senseless situation?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of Wallace's tumor causes the story to take a turn right at the start.
Part 1: Why do you think the family reacts in the way they do?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if you hard your father had a tumor?
Part 3: Do you think there might have been a better way for the family to react?
Essay Topic 3
Jen comments how she likes women who have scars on their faces since it shows they have been through something.
Part 1: Do you prefer perfection or scars? Why?
Part 2: How do you think you might react to seeing someone who had large scars on their face?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen wants to point out that she enjoys scars?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)