|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the part of himself of which Eric is self conscious, so Jen does not say anything about it?
2. Jen thinks that _______ are the best gatherings she knows about, along with getting together at the bedside of a dying person.
3. Jen accuses Kathleen of not being ____________, and Kathleen asks if they can talk it over in the morning.
4. In the town, _________ tend to be strange affairs with eclectic contents, depending on the focus of the day.
5. What is the word that Wallace has troubles remembering, which prompts a trip to the doctor for testing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the family do in the days leading up to Wallace's surgery, trying to forget about what's to happen?
2. Why doesn't Megan believe that Jen cleans houses for a living, as she explains when they are talking?
3. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
4. What is the first sign that there is something wrong with Wallace, according to the story?
5. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
6. Why does Jen love to have Megan over to stay with her at her little home?
7. What is the finding of the doctor when Wallace goes in to find out more about the difficulties he's having?
8. What does Kathleen offer as an explanation for what happened at Jen and her meeting?
9. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
10. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen thinks about her brothers and realizes that she likes them, even if they were mean to her as a child.
Part 1: Do you think it's always easy for brothers and sisters to get along?
Part 2: How do you think siblings might be able to make their relationships stronger?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen suddenly thinks on how much she likes her brothers?
Essay Topic 2
Megan and Jen talk about how senseless it is that young people get cancer and how good people get sick.
Part 1: Do you think that it's senseless that young people get cancer?
Part 2: Why do you think cancer and illness upset people so much that they take it personally?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if a friend got cancer?
Essay Topic 3
The introduction of Wallace's tumor causes the story to take a turn right at the start.
Part 1: Why do you think the family reacts in the way they do?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if you hard your father had a tumor?
Part 3: Do you think there might have been a better way for the family to react?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)