|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of the local ____________ are taken to the local mental hospital in straitjackets, according to the story.
2. The siblings talk about how much they ________ each other and that they would have a hard time if one of them died.
3. When Jen calls Eric to talk about her emotions around the brain tumor, he tells her that he is sick of all the _____________ drama.
4. Does Jen have a boyfriend at this particular time in the book?
5. What is the holiday on which Jen is sick and tries to get Eric to come over to help her during this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jen think about her next door neighbors, as she is walking to work one day?
2. Why doesn't Eric like to talk about his feelings when Jen tries to get him to do so?
3. Why does Jen love to have Megan over to stay with her at her little home?
4. What does Megan wish that Jen would do in relation to Jen's boyfriend, Eric?
5. What is the first sign that there is something wrong with Wallace, according to the story?
6. Where are the children living at the beginning of the story?
7. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
8. What happens when one of the Burn Outs offers to give Jen a ride to her work one day?
9. What happens between the children before they decide to go into the hospital after the surgery?
10. What does Wallace share with his child to be his hopes for the health problem he now faces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen is a person who seems to avoid pain and sadness by drinking and by doing drugs.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to handle the pain any other way?
Part 2: Do you think that Jen should find other ways to cope with her feelings?
Part 3: How do you cope when you have things happen in your life which might be seen as tragic?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen says that Jen's family can not openly admit how upset and worried they are about Wallace.
Part 1: Do you think there is some truth in the statement Kathleen makes?
Part 2: How do you think Jen's family could correct this situation?
Part 3: Why do you think many families don't admit the seriousness of situations?
Essay Topic 3
Randy presents his father with the dead heron, which he has now gotten stuffed.
Part 1: Why do you think Randy felt this was an appropriate present?
Part 2: What do you think the dead heron symbolizes for the family?
Part 3: Do you think that Wallace appreciates the gift?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)