|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wallace says that if he should become a vegetable that they ____________ pull the plug, according to his wishes.
2. The ______ children of the 1970s had a hard time trying to reconcile their ideals with real life, according to the book.
3. How old is Jen's friend Megan, the one who sometimes stays with her at the cabin?
4. The Burn Outs are the old hippies in town who did way too many drugs when they were younger and now cannot stop ______________.
5. What does Megan say that she will do until Jen gets back from her work time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
2. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
3. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
4. What happens in order to wake Wallace up and to get him talking to his children in the room?
5. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
6. Why doesn't Megan believe that Jen cleans houses for a living, as she explains when they are talking?
7. What does Jen think about her next door neighbors, as she is walking to work one day?
8. What does Kathleen offer as an explanation for what happened at Jen and her meeting?
9. What has happened to all of Jen's male friends, or so she remembers when she is driving away from the hospital?
10. What does Wallace share with his child to be his hopes for the health problem he now faces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen is a person who seems to avoid pain and sadness by drinking and by doing drugs.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to handle the pain any other way?
Part 2: Do you think that Jen should find other ways to cope with her feelings?
Part 3: How do you cope when you have things happen in your life which might be seen as tragic?
Essay Topic 2
The children in the family seem to have a lot of troubles, but they are still close and loving to each other.
Part 1: Why do you think children have a hard time relating to their siblings as they grow up?
Part 2: How did you relate to your siblings as you got older? What about when you were younger?
Part 3: Can siblings be loving, even if they pick on each other?
Essay Topic 3
Jen is a character who could be described as being paranoid, even though she thinks everyone else is more so.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen is so paranoid in her life?
Part 2: Do you think there is value in Jen being paranoid?
Part 3: How do you think Jen's life might change if she were not paranoid?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)