|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eric tell Jen that he needs to go in order to begin to find himself and his true feelings?
2. The dream that Jen has is interpreted by Kathleen as __________ not wanting to share the bad or embarrassing parts with others.
3. At one point, Kathleen was married to a _____________, according to their conversations together.
4. What does Jen think is happening with Eric when she wakes up in the night to find that he is not there anymore?
5. The nurse tells the children that Wallace isn't allowed to have so many _________ in his room.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the living situation of Jen at the beginning of the story and how did she come upon this arrangement?
2. What happens every Tuesday night in Jen's life, according to the story?
3. Why does Jen decide that she wants to clean houses for a living, at least at this point of the story?
4. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
5. What does Kathleen offer as an explanation for what happened at Jen and her meeting?
6. Why does Jen love to have Megan over to stay with her at her little home?
7. What happens in order to wake Wallace up and to get him talking to his children in the room?
8. What are the worries that Wallace has as he begins to undergo the process of removing the problem from his body?
9. What does Jen do when the phone finally rings after Kathleen finally calls Jen back after her many calls?
10. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen comments how she likes women who have scars on their faces since it shows they have been through something.
Part 1: Do you prefer perfection or scars? Why?
Part 2: How do you think you might react to seeing someone who had large scars on their face?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen wants to point out that she enjoys scars?
Essay Topic 2
Wallace pretends to feel bad about the death of the cat, for Jen's benefit.
Part 1: Why do you think Wallace doesn't feel bad about the cat?
Part 2: How do you think Jen would feel if no one was sympathetic about the death?
Part 3: Do you think the cat's death reminds Jen about her father's mortality? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jen doesn't tell Eric about the brain tumor because she thinks it might make him feel obligated to stay.
Part 1: Do you think Jen should have told Eric what was happening?
Part 2: How do you think Eric would have reacted to this news?
Part 3: Why do you think Eric was a person Jen didn't want to tell?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)