|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jen resents the fact that she has to go clean a ____________ house for four hours as a part of her way to make money.
2. Kathleen is clear about her inability to make ___________ in her life, which might be a sign of a disorder as well.
3. Which of the children still lives with his father, though this changes later on in the story?
4. Some of the local ____________ are taken to the local mental hospital in straitjackets, according to the story.
5. Wallace says that if he should become a vegetable that they ____________ pull the plug, according to his wishes.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the criteria that Jen has in terms of deciding whether or not to take a job that she is offered by another?
2. What does Jen think about the other people in the town that are very paranoid about their lives and their surroundings?
3. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
4. One morning, about a month after Wallace's surgery, what is the first thought in Jen's mind when she wakes up?
5. What is the worry that Jen has about being at parties, and what a person might ask her when she is there?
6. Why was the ancient castle built in San Francisco, according to the story's details?
7. What does Wallace share with his child to be his hopes for the health problem he now faces?
8. What does Eric do on Easter when Jen is very sick and lying in bed in her cabin?
9. What happens every Tuesday night in Jen's life, according to the story?
10. What happens when Jen gets a phone call later in the day, inviting her to come to a party with others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen seems to be just getting by in life, working only enough to support herself and her writing time.
Part 1: How do you feel about the character of Jen in this story?
Part 2: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to do more with her life?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to simply work to create time for pleasure?
Essay Topic 2
Visiting a loved one in the hospital is not an easy thing, and it can bring up a lot of emotions in people.
Part 1: Why do you think families and people tend to have troubles going to hospitals?
Part 2: Do you think you would have troubles going to see a loved one after surgery?
Part 3: How do you think a family might be able to make the trip to the hospital easier? Or can't they?
Essay Topic 3
Jen is a character who could be described as being paranoid, even though she thinks everyone else is more so.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen is so paranoid in her life?
Part 2: Do you think there is value in Jen being paranoid?
Part 3: How do you think Jen's life might change if she were not paranoid?
This section contains 1,903 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)