|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the kids make in order to cover up their nervousness when they finally take Wallace to this hospital?
2. Miriam Brown is known as the town's most infamous __________ and she has one of her babies with her.
3. While there are times when Jen enjoys the shows that the Burn Outs provide for the town, most of the time they make her _____________.
4. Because Ben used to ___________, he doesn't want people to think that he's thrown his life away by becoming an emotional mess now.
5. Which animal does Jen live with, even though it is a little wild and likes to urinate all over her things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
2. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
3. What does Jen know will happen every time she schedules a meeting with Kathleen?
4. What happens with the cat when Jen is lying in bed after her drugged and drunk rage?
5. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
6. What are the worries that Wallace has as he begins to undergo the process of removing the problem from his body?
7. What does Kathleen say about the relationship between Eric and Jen, according to the story?
8. Why does Jen decide that she wants to clean houses for a living, at least at this point of the story?
9. Where are the children living at the beginning of the story?
10. Why does Jen love to have Megan over to stay with her at her little home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy presents his father with the dead heron, which he has now gotten stuffed.
Part 1: Why do you think Randy felt this was an appropriate present?
Part 2: What do you think the dead heron symbolizes for the family?
Part 3: Do you think that Wallace appreciates the gift?
Essay Topic 2
Jen points out that sometimes things which seem senseless often turn out to be good in the end.
Part 1: Do you think that things in life are ever senseless?
Part 2: Why do you think something senseless might turn out to be good?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to make good out of a senseless situation?
Essay Topic 3
The children in the family seem to have a lot of troubles, but they are still close and loving to each other.
Part 1: Why do you think children have a hard time relating to their siblings as they grow up?
Part 2: How did you relate to your siblings as you got older? What about when you were younger?
Part 3: Can siblings be loving, even if they pick on each other?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)