|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the person that stands outside and smokes before going in to see Wallace after the surgery?
2. In the town, _________ tend to be strange affairs with eclectic contents, depending on the focus of the day.
3. What does Sarah decide to go do in order to give the kids some space to see their dad on their own?
4. What is the word that Wallace has troubles remembering, which prompts a trip to the doctor for testing?
5. When Jen calls Eric to talk about her emotions around the brain tumor, he tells her that he is sick of all the _____________ drama.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first sign that there is something wrong with Wallace, according to the story?
2. What is the finding of the doctor when Wallace goes in to find out more about the difficulties he's having?
3. What has happened to all of Jen's male friends, or so she remembers when she is driving away from the hospital?
4. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
5. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
6. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
7. What does the family do in the days leading up to Wallace's surgery, trying to forget about what's to happen?
8. What happens in order to wake Wallace up and to get him talking to his children in the room?
9. What are some of the things that happen to the people in Clement in the months leading up to Wallace's surgery?
10. What happens with the cat when Jen is lying in bed after her drugged and drunk rage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen is a person who seems to avoid pain and sadness by drinking and by doing drugs.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to handle the pain any other way?
Part 2: Do you think that Jen should find other ways to cope with her feelings?
Part 3: How do you cope when you have things happen in your life which might be seen as tragic?
Essay Topic 2
Jen's kind of boyfriend Eric turns out to be a person who does not want to support her in her time of need.
Part 1: Why do you think a person stays in a relationship that is not supportive?
Part 2: Do you think Jen should have stayed with Eric for as long as she did?
Part 3: How might you react if a loved one didn't support you during a trying time?
Essay Topic 3
Visiting a loved one in the hospital is not an easy thing, and it can bring up a lot of emotions in people.
Part 1: Why do you think families and people tend to have troubles going to hospitals?
Part 2: Do you think you would have troubles going to see a loved one after surgery?
Part 3: How do you think a family might be able to make the trip to the hospital easier? Or can't they?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)