|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that Randy gives to the dead animal he brings back home with him during the story?
2. What was the background of the immigrants who built the castle in which Jen and her family used to live?
3. What does Frank Morgan do which makes him a bit of a legend in the town where Jen lives?
4. What does the family have to cope with in regard to the situation with Wallace and his brain tumor?
5. Randy points out that Wallace's looking great is like the ________________, and it's not fooling anyone.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
2. Why doesn't Eric like to talk about his feelings when Jen tries to get him to do so?
3. What are the worries that Wallace has as he begins to undergo the process of removing the problem from his body?
4. What does Kathleen say about the relationship between Eric and Jen, according to the story?
5. Why was the ancient castle built in San Francisco, according to the story's details?
6. What happens every Tuesday night in Jen's life, according to the story?
7. What is the living situation of Jen at the beginning of the story and how did she come upon this arrangement?
8. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
9. What is the first sign that there is something wrong with Wallace, according to the story?
10. What is the reason that Wallace is having some troubles talking, according to Sarah's report to the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kathleen says that Jen's family can not openly admit how upset and worried they are about Wallace.
Part 1: Do you think there is some truth in the statement Kathleen makes?
Part 2: How do you think Jen's family could correct this situation?
Part 3: Why do you think many families don't admit the seriousness of situations?
Essay Topic 2
In the days leading up to the surgery, it seems that a number of things are going badly in the town of Clement.
Part 1: Why do you think Lamott decided to make the town more tragic during this time?
Part 2: Do you think Jen's mood might be affecting the way she describes what happens in the town?
Part 3: How do you think the tragedies in the town might affect you if you were living there?
Essay Topic 3
Jen thinks about her brothers and realizes that she likes them, even if they were mean to her as a child.
Part 1: Do you think it's always easy for brothers and sisters to get along?
Part 2: How do you think siblings might be able to make their relationships stronger?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen suddenly thinks on how much she likes her brothers?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)