|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ says that he is worried about how others will perceive him within this dream of a situation.
2. What does Jen do as she is settling into bed as she realizes her pillow is getting dirty?
3. What does Jen think is happening with Eric when she wakes up in the night to find that he is not there anymore?
4. Jen likes to be around Megan since she is not afraid of Megan __________ her, like so many other people might.
5. What do the brothers not do with their father as they seem to think this is unmanly, even in the circumstances?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kathleen offer as an explanation for what happened at Jen and her meeting?
2. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
3. What does Jen tell Randy about their Uncle Colin when they are drinking and cleaning together?
4. One morning, about a month after Wallace's surgery, what is the first thought in Jen's mind when she wakes up?
5. What does Jen decide that she needs to do in order to have more money in her life?
6. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
7. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
8. What does Kathleen say about the relationship between Eric and Jen, according to the story?
9. Why does Jen decide that she wants to clean houses for a living, at least at this point of the story?
10. Why is Jen hurt by Kathleen's actions, even though Kathleen still doesn't want to change her plans for the night?
Essay Topic 1
Jen makes plans to meet with Kathleen, even though she is always late.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen believes it's important to still meet with Kathleen?
Part 2: What would you do if someone you were supposed to meet was always late?
Part 3: How do you think Kathleen feels about Jen and their friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Jen's kind of boyfriend Eric turns out to be a person who does not want to support her in her time of need.
Part 1: Why do you think a person stays in a relationship that is not supportive?
Part 2: Do you think Jen should have stayed with Eric for as long as she did?
Part 3: How might you react if a loved one didn't support you during a trying time?
Essay Topic 3
In the days leading up to the surgery, it seems that a number of things are going badly in the town of Clement.
Part 1: Why do you think Lamott decided to make the town more tragic during this time?
Part 2: Do you think Jen's mood might be affecting the way she describes what happens in the town?
Part 3: How do you think the tragedies in the town might affect you if you were living there?
This section contains 1,929 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)