|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Thursdays, Jen cleans the home of a _________________ who is actually not all that he seems, in her opinion. And he tries to cheat her each week.
2. Jen resents the fact that she has to go clean a ____________ house for four hours as a part of her way to make money.
3. What is the name that Randy gives to the dead animal he brings back home with him during the story?
4. How old is Jen's friend Megan, the one who sometimes stays with her at the cabin?
5. The selfish ___________ of the 1980s causes many of the peace lovers to take their own lives since they see no other way out.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the living situation of Jen at the beginning of the story and how did she come upon this arrangement?
2. What has happened to all of Jen's male friends, or so she remembers when she is driving away from the hospital?
3. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
4. Why doesn't Megan believe that Jen cleans houses for a living, as she explains when they are talking?
5. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
6. What does Kathleen say about the relationship between Eric and Jen, according to the story?
7. What does Eric do on Easter when Jen is very sick and lying in bed in her cabin?
8. What are the worries that Wallace has as he begins to undergo the process of removing the problem from his body?
9. What happens in order to wake Wallace up and to get him talking to his children in the room?
10. What does Jen know will happen every time she schedules a meeting with Kathleen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen thinks about her brothers and realizes that she likes them, even if they were mean to her as a child.
Part 1: Do you think it's always easy for brothers and sisters to get along?
Part 2: How do you think siblings might be able to make their relationships stronger?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen suddenly thinks on how much she likes her brothers?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen interprets a dream of Jen's to mean that she is afraid for others to see the bad parts of herself.
Part 1: Do you think that Kathleen's dream assessment is accurate? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that all people are afraid for others to see the bad parts of themselves?
Part 3: How do you think a person's life might change if others saw the bad parts of these people?
Essay Topic 3
Randy presents his father with the dead heron, which he has now gotten stuffed.
Part 1: Why do you think Randy felt this was an appropriate present?
Part 2: What do you think the dead heron symbolizes for the family?
Part 3: Do you think that Wallace appreciates the gift?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)