|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the background of the immigrants who built the castle in which Jen and her family used to live?
2. What is NOT one of the names of the children who are described and followed in this book?
3. At the funerals in the town, people will ___________ whatever they think is appropriate for sending off a person they love or respect.
4. This New Age group likes to _________ strangers, which makes those new people uncomfortable when visiting the town.
5. How does Jen call Kathleen when she realizes that she is not showing up for their meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
2. What happens in order to wake Wallace up and to get him talking to his children in the room?
3. What is the finding of the doctor when Wallace goes in to find out more about the difficulties he's having?
4. What does Jen know will happen every time she schedules a meeting with Kathleen?
5. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
6. What does the family do in the days leading up to Wallace's surgery, trying to forget about what's to happen?
7. What happens when one of the Burn Outs offers to give Jen a ride to her work one day?
8. Why was the ancient castle built in San Francisco, according to the story's details?
9. What happens every Tuesday night in Jen's life, according to the story?
10. Where are the children living at the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kathleen interprets a dream of Jen's to mean that she is afraid for others to see the bad parts of herself.
Part 1: Do you think that Kathleen's dream assessment is accurate? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think that all people are afraid for others to see the bad parts of themselves?
Part 3: How do you think a person's life might change if others saw the bad parts of these people?
Essay Topic 2
Jen comments how she likes women who have scars on their faces since it shows they have been through something.
Part 1: Do you prefer perfection or scars? Why?
Part 2: How do you think you might react to seeing someone who had large scars on their face?
Part 3: Why do you think Jen wants to point out that she enjoys scars?
Essay Topic 3
Megan's relationship to Honey seems to be a comfortable one, one in which they see each other and hope to see each other again soon, even though Honey knows she is old.
Part 1: Why do you think Megan goes to see Honey?
Part 2: Do you think that Honey likes Jen?
Part 3: How do you think Megan's visits with Honey are helpful to the both of them?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)