|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Thursdays, Jen cleans the home of a _________________ who is actually not all that he seems, in her opinion. And he tries to cheat her each week.
2. The selfish ___________ of the 1980s causes many of the peace lovers to take their own lives since they see no other way out.
3. Jen accuses Kathleen of not being ____________, and Kathleen asks if they can talk it over in the morning.
4. Jen finds her town irritating because of all of the conflicting ____________ it has, but it's the only home she has right now.
5. What is the name of Jen's best friend, as she is described to be in the story, though not necessarily by her actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
2. What does Megan think about people like Wallace who get brain tumors for no apparent reason?
3. What does Megan wish that Jen would do in relation to Jen's boyfriend, Eric?
4. What does Jen tell Randy about their Uncle Colin when they are drinking and cleaning together?
5. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
6. What do Kathleen and Jen decide to do when Wallace is going to lay down for a nap for a while?
7. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
8. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
9. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
10. What happens on the day that Wallace is discharged from the hospital after his surgery?
Essay Topic 1
Randy presents his father with the dead heron, which he has now gotten stuffed.
Part 1: Why do you think Randy felt this was an appropriate present?
Part 2: What do you think the dead heron symbolizes for the family?
Part 3: Do you think that Wallace appreciates the gift?
Essay Topic 2
Jen seems to be just getting by in life, working only enough to support herself and her writing time.
Part 1: How do you feel about the character of Jen in this story?
Part 2: Why do you think Jen doesn't want to do more with her life?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to simply work to create time for pleasure?
Essay Topic 3
Jen makes plans to meet with Kathleen, even though she is always late.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen believes it's important to still meet with Kathleen?
Part 2: What would you do if someone you were supposed to meet was always late?
Part 3: How do you think Kathleen feels about Jen and their friendship?
This section contains 1,913 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)