|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This New Age group likes to _________ strangers, which makes those new people uncomfortable when visiting the town.
2. One of the things that drew Jen to Eric is that he never says anything about the __________ in her cabin.
3. What do the brothers not do with their father as they seem to think this is unmanly, even in the circumstances?
4. The Burn Outs are the old hippies in town who did way too many drugs when they were younger and now cannot stop ______________.
5. What is the name of Jen's best friend, as she is described to be in the story, though not necessarily by her actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Eric and Jen meet, according to the story that Jen tells in the book?
2. Why was the ancient castle built in San Francisco, according to the story's details?
3. What are the worries that Wallace has as he begins to undergo the process of removing the problem from his body?
4. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
5. Where are the children living at the beginning of the story?
6. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
7. Why does Jen decide that she wants to clean houses for a living, at least at this point of the story?
8. Why does Jen love to have Megan over to stay with her at her little home?
9. What happens in order to wake Wallace up and to get him talking to his children in the room?
10. What does Eric do on Easter when Jen is very sick and lying in bed in her cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Randy presents his father with the dead heron, which he has now gotten stuffed.
Part 1: Why do you think Randy felt this was an appropriate present?
Part 2: What do you think the dead heron symbolizes for the family?
Part 3: Do you think that Wallace appreciates the gift?
Essay Topic 2
Visiting a loved one in the hospital is not an easy thing, and it can bring up a lot of emotions in people.
Part 1: Why do you think families and people tend to have troubles going to hospitals?
Part 2: Do you think you would have troubles going to see a loved one after surgery?
Part 3: How do you think a family might be able to make the trip to the hospital easier? Or can't they?
Essay Topic 3
Kathleen says that Jen's family can not openly admit how upset and worried they are about Wallace.
Part 1: Do you think there is some truth in the statement Kathleen makes?
Part 2: How do you think Jen's family could correct this situation?
Part 3: Why do you think many families don't admit the seriousness of situations?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)