|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of the local ____________ are taken to the local mental hospital in straitjackets, according to the story.
2. There is another group in town called the _______________ who are New Age folks that are trying to share goodwill with everyone they meet.
3. ________ points out to the character in #86 that everyone knows what he is going through, so no one is going to criticize him for his actions.
4. Because Ben used to ___________, he doesn't want people to think that he's thrown his life away by becoming an emotional mess now.
5. Jen thinks that _______ are the best gatherings she knows about, along with getting together at the bedside of a dying person.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the living situation of Jen at the beginning of the story and how did she come upon this arrangement?
2. Why does Wallace decide to make up a will before he goes into surgery?
3. What do the townspeople say is happening in the town, which is what is leading to all of the misery?
4. What happens with the cat when Jen is lying in bed after her drugged and drunk rage?
5. What happens to Wallace in the week before his surgery, making him think that Mercury is targeting him?
6. What does Eric do on Easter when Jen is very sick and lying in bed in her cabin?
7. Why was the ancient castle built in San Francisco, according to the story's details?
8. What does Jen know will happen every time she schedules a meeting with Kathleen?
9. What does Sarah say is completely normal when the children walk into the hospital room?
10. What does Jen think about her next door neighbors, as she is walking to work one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Clement seems to be a town which has attracted a number of weirdos in its confines.
Part 1: Why do you think the town has attracted so many 'weirdos'?
Part 2: Do you agree with Jen's description that there are weird people in the town?
Part 3: What do you think this town's population has to say about the state of Jen and her weirdness?
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen says that Jen's family can not openly admit how upset and worried they are about Wallace.
Part 1: Do you think there is some truth in the statement Kathleen makes?
Part 2: How do you think Jen's family could correct this situation?
Part 3: Why do you think many families don't admit the seriousness of situations?
Essay Topic 3
Jen is a character who could be described as being paranoid, even though she thinks everyone else is more so.
Part 1: Why do you think Jen is so paranoid in her life?
Part 2: Do you think there is value in Jen being paranoid?
Part 3: How do you think Jen's life might change if she were not paranoid?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)