|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jen and Randy put up with from Ben as they realize that he is nervous about seeing his father in the hospital?
(a) His drunkenness.
(b) The big brother lecturing.
(c) His sour mood.
2. Jen resents the fact that she has to go clean a ____________ house for four hours as a part of her way to make money.
(c) Rich person's.
3. What does Frank Morgan do which makes him a bit of a legend in the town where Jen lives?
(a) Repeats the alphabet.
(b) Reads the Bible.
(c) Unindentifiable bird calls.
(d) Screams gibberish.
4. What is the part of himself of which Eric is self conscious, so Jen does not say anything about it?
(a) His ear hair.
(b) His thinning hair.
(c) His feet.
(d) His gut.
5. What does Sarah decide to go do in order to give the kids some space to see their dad on their own?
(a) Go home to sleep.
(b) Take a shower.
(c) Go to lunch.
(d) Walk the halls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kathleen dresses quickly in the morning so that Jen will not see _____________, it seems.
2. The doctors find a brain tumor in the _________ area of the brain, which is frustrating to Wallace as a writer.
3. Jen thinks that _______ are the best gatherings she knows about, along with getting together at the bedside of a dying person.
4. While there are times when Jen enjoys the shows that the Burn Outs provide for the town, most of the time they make her _____________.
5. What is the occupation of Jen when the story first begins for the reader, though it is said she is bad at this on her own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jen gets really drunk after calling up Kathleen after their missed appointment?
2. What does Jen tell Randy about their Uncle Colin when they are drinking and cleaning together?
3. Why does Jen decide that she wants to clean houses for a living, at least at this point of the story?
4. Why are the children so surprised that they get along when they are together in the present time?
5. What is the living situation of Jen at the beginning of the story and how did she come upon this arrangement?
6. What does Jen's father begin to do as he begins to feel better after the surgery and is healing well?
7. Why doesn't Jen decide to tell Eric about the brain tumor that her father has been diagnosed as having?
8. What is the difference between regular funerals and the kinds of funerals which are given to those who have committed suicide?
9. Why doesn't Randy go to see his dad when his dad is finally being released from the hospital?
10. What begins to happen to Wallace as he starts his weekly radiation treatments, to which Jen drives him?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)