|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some people in the town believe that all of the bad things that are happening are due to ___________ in retrograde.
(c) The Moon.
2. The ______ children of the 1970s had a hard time trying to reconcile their ideals with real life, according to the book.
3. What did Kathleen's ex-husband encourage her to do in order to prevent herself from gaining weight?
(a) Run more.
(b) Become bulimic.
(c) Become anorexic.
(d) Stop eating.
4. What is the part of himself of which Eric is self conscious, so Jen does not say anything about it?
(a) His ear hair.
(b) His feet.
(c) His gut.
(d) His thinning hair.
5. Since life is filled with insane situations, it seems that there is no reason to try to approach life as though these situations were always _____________.
6. Does Jen have a boyfriend at this particular time in the book?
(b) She has several.
(c) Sort of.
7. What does the family have to cope with in regard to the situation with Wallace and his brain tumor?
(a) No support.
(c) A large river of denial.
(d) A strong sense of humor.
8. When Jen calls Eric to talk about her emotions around the brain tumor, he tells her that he is sick of all the _____________ drama.
(a) Reality TV.
9. Which animal does Jen live with, even though it is a little wild and likes to urinate all over her things?
10. While there are times when Jen enjoys the shows that the Burn Outs provide for the town, most of the time they make her _____________.
11. What do the brothers not do with their father as they seem to think this is unmanly, even in the circumstances?
(a) Talk to him.
(b) Kiss him.
(c) Hug him.
(d) Cry around him.
12. What does Jen receive from Eric a short time later from his new location in the country?
13. What starts blowing up in the town where Jen lives, something that is considered to be a strange event?
(a) Gas stations.
(c) Gas lines.
14. What's frustrating to Wallace is that he can only get ______ hour's worth of work accomplished in four hours, which is not the way it used to be.
15. Jen realizes she has no male friends in town who are over the age of ___________, aside from her brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jen learn about a week before Eric says that he will be leaving her?
2. What causes Kathleen to have to leave early in the morning, even though she promised to talk with Jen?
3. ________ points out to the character in #86 that everyone knows what he is going through, so no one is going to criticize him for his actions.
4. What is the one subject that Eric doesn't want to talk about and that he becomes defensive about when Jen tries?
5. How does Jen call Kathleen when she realizes that she is not showing up for their meeting?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)